Merriman will quiet his doubters this year

They will at least bring him into camp. Its a small bonus and he finally got the surgery he has been putting off. I think that if he shows up to camp and looks well he will make the team. If he lands on IR or just isn't even close to what he showed flashes of what he did last year I could see a late season cut.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he is cut it will not be because of the money....which in the NFL is nothing.......

The fact is....the bills are committed to pass rush.....and while Mario goes a long way in fixing that biulding this team also need to be about creating quality depth at positions......

If in fact Shawn was delaying a surgery that could have fixed this....and he had that surgery...there is no reason to ride this thing out with him and see where it goes......because if he IS healthy.....and you put him on the other side of this line opposite Mario Williams.....oh man...:)

Just dont DEPEND on him.....make sure that other side of the line is set without him...and then if he makes it back so much the better.

Didn't even think about Kyle's operation. He said his foot had been bothering him for a long time. Just think how dominant he'll be with it at 100%.

And that's the problem, not just you specifically, people forget Kyle ha an Achilles problem and had surgery as well. But according to some Kyle is going to come back to form.

Well if that's possible, then it's completely possible that Merriman comes back.

The Merriman extension has been nothing short of a disaster. And now he's got a roster bonus due. With Mario in the fold and Kelsey and Carrington expected to stick around he might be on the way out.

Of course, pro football being a bottom-line business, Merriman understands that there’s no guarantee he’ll be part of the Bills’ 2012 playoff push. On Monday, the organization must decide whether to pay the former Pro Bowl player a $1 million roster bonus or allow him to become a free agent.

Merriman has played just five games since the Bills claimed him off waivers from the San Diego Chargers and underwent season-ending surgery on his Achilles tendon last October. The pass-rushing menace who led the NFL with 17 sacks in 2006 – the same year the Houston Texans made Williams the No. 1 overall pick in the draft – believes he has finally overcome a series of health problems that sent his career on a downward trajectory.

“People have seen me play on one leg for going on three years now,” Merriman said. “So it’s gonna be a good season. People talk about our switch to a 4-3 [defense], but that’s not a factor. For the people who know football, the difference between a 3-4 and a 4-3 is whether my hand’s down or I stand up – that’s all it is. I want to stay. Whether I stay or not, honestly, that’s almost impossible to figure out.”

sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_mario_williams_stevie_johnson_bills_031612

What do Kelsay and Carrington have to do with Merriman?

And that's the problem, not just you specifically, people forget Kyle ha an Achilles problem and had surgery as well. But according to some Kyle is going to come back to form.

Well if that's possible, then it's completely possible that Merriman comes back.

:thumbsup:

Not exactly. Kyle's problem was a bone spur that was fraying his Achilles tendon. Merriman had some kind of Achilles strain that need surgery to correct. A little more serious but nothing like what Sam Cowart or Takeo Spikes had.

PTR

the only, ONLY benefit of the Merriman signing was, is, and always will be the "street cred" we got around the league.

It got us Barnett, it helped us get Super Mario, and it basically told the league that we werent just gonna sit around and hope to get lucky for the next 25 years.

But with Mario on board, and Nix in the front office, the Merriman experiment is over. I bet they could cut him and re-sign him for the league minimum about three days later, when he realizes that nobody wants his ass. And that would light a nice fire under his ass.

do you know how long it took TKO to return to form after the injury? atleast 2 years

run him out of town and you will regret it in time

Mario on one edge, Shawne on the other?

Even if Shawne is 50-70% of the player that he was, that's going to be pretty nice considering what we have in the middle. Opposing teams will need to have six blockers for our front four. It's going to be quite nice. :)

And, frankly 1 million is worth what he brings to the lockeroom. The players love him, he's a good face for the team, he get's the team pumped up. He helps recruit talent. :flirt:

Edited by Dorkington

Why would the Bills fix up ( get him healthy) then cut him for just a million dollar signing bonus?? Seriously???

If Merriman get just 5 sacks he will be worth the 1 milli.

I agree with what the Bills are doing with Lights Out. Let him get fully correct and then put him out there to see if he still has it.

If he does oh boy we have a great line with serious pass rush .

27 years old... He hasn't really played for 3 years because of his injury,so its not like he has any wear on his body. IF the surgery has finally fixed the problem and hes 100%,then its LIGHTS OUT!!! And i would expect a contract extension as well.

He has helped this team get to the next level in every way. Nick, Kirk, Mario ...etc are players that have came here because of him. You don't let him go over 1M. Im sure he will be a force in camp.

Hes been working out his leg and seems fine as the moment.

"I just finished this leg workout and it feel like I got a Bunsen Burner on my quads"

"how's the achilles? Best I've felt in 3 years thanks lets get ready to tell some people to #Puckerup"

A few things...

First of all, they wouldn't really be saving a million cutting him, it would be more like 250K or 500K because you would have to pay another player to replace him at DE. We may even lose a couple million by cutting him if we had to keep, say, Dwan Edwards instead.

Merriman is not going anywhere.

Second, the team and his teammates fully expect him back. That is a great sign. Obviously there is no way anyone can count on him. No one in the world, including Merriman himself, knows at this point whether he can play a full NFL pre-season let alone a season. It's not a good bet but it wouldn't surprise me either. His achillees is a worry, no question about it.

Third, I don't think people realize what effect he had last year in the first few games. It was huge, even if he did not get any sacks and didnt make hardly any plays. The difference was felt more in the LBs and Dbs than it was on the line. When Merriman and Kyle Williams were on the field last year, even with both of them on one leg, the DBs and LBs had confidence to make breaks on balls if they felt they could make a play. This was especially true of Wilson and Barnett.

I remember an opposing player interviewed after about five games saying that after watching the film on the Bills, their turnovers were never lucky, they were always a player jumping the play when they felt they had the chance. That disappeared when Merriman and Kyle went out. The other team always watched Merriman. There were 4-5 plays with blatant holding that could have/should have been sacks. No one would have been complaining about his play. He got pressures and made the QB throw the ball a second before he wanted to, which was huge. No one else did that the rest of the year.

He also hurt his shoulder early. On one leg and with one arm, he was our best lineman. Not to mention the emotional leadership he provides on the field. When he went down and Kyle was gone, Barnett was really the only leader on defense (although Wilson arguably was one but he went down around that time too). And Barnett was new to the team so there was only so much he could do. Merriman's presence on the field and in the huddle is a huge factor.

If he is anywhere near healthy, he is going to be a terror. We just can't count on it at all.

We might be able to afraid him. Mario signed a big contract but it wasn't a major hit against the cap. Bills did a great job

With his contract. No way does Shawn get Mario kind of $.

What? Who said Merriman would get Williams type of money? Mario's contract wasn't a hit to our cap? 26 million is going towards the cap in the first year, pretty big "hit". I have no idea what you are talking about.

What? Who said Merriman would get Williams type of money? Mario's contract wasn't a hit to our cap? 26 million is going towards the cap in the first year, pretty big "hit". I have no idea what you are talking about.

More like 16 mil toward the salary cap.

25 toward cash to the cap, but the Bills don't really follow their own model.

Sorry to bring it up guy's but the biggest question is how much of how he earned the Light's Out nickname was from juice? If he's healthy as a horse but his prior production was steroid related all we have is an ex juicer that is over rated. Once Mark MacGuire stopped taking the juice he was nothing.

Not exactly. Kyle's problem was a bone spur that was fraying his Achilles tendon. Merriman had some kind of Achilles strain that need surgery to correct. A little more serious but nothing like what Sam Cowart or Takeo Spikes had.

PTR

Just to clarify, Williams had a bone spur on his heel which was cutting into his Achilles. The surgery actually had them take Kyle's Achilles tendon OFF his heel, they polished the bone, and then reattached the Achilles. That's a lot more involved than people realize, although all reports say he's feeling better than ever.

Merriman's Achilles was close to rupturing, so they went in and operated. I don't know what that involved, but it's at least slightly better than having a ruptured Achilles.

From what I saw last year, Merriman has great instincts. And he definitely hurt his shoulder the beginning of the Chiefs game and wasn't the same. Then his Achilles acted up. I have a feeling, as a situational pass rusher, Merriman will be fantastic this year. Especially with a full off season program with the Bills.

Edited by BEAST MODE BABY!

Just a hunch. I just got NFL game rewind and have payed close attention to Merriman is the first few weeks he was playing. He was very good at setting the edge in the run game and was pushing around tackles and getting a lot of attention, getting chipped by backs and TE's and double teams. With WMD manning the other part of the line, I fully expect Merriman to have a very good year.

Hope so but with all those injuries it hard to count on him.