Nix on PFT live: Spiller & Jackson to compete

According to rotoworld, Nix indicated on PFT Live interview today that after Spillers strong finish that Spiller and Jackson will compete in camp for starting job and bigger share of carries. Seems they are going to give Spiller a chance to officially be named the starter. I am sure regardless who wins, the other back will still get a fair amount of touches, but this should be interesting as both are talented. Can FJ come back from injury at 31 and still hold off the highly paid young budding star? Or will Spiller take his eventual spot as our star RB sooner rather than later?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

competition is good, may the best man win - and the loser will still got tons of carries so it's really a non-issue anyway!

as we found out last year, never know when a RB will go down for the season and really need to have that 1/2 punch.....certainly not an area to worry about for 2012, gonna have a good year there

According to rotoworld, Nix indicated on PFT Live interview today that after Spillers strong finish that Spiller and Jackson will compete in camp for starting job and bigger share of carries. Seems they are going to give Spiller a chance to officially be named the starter. I am sure regardless who wins, the other back will still get a fair amount of touches, but this should be interesting as both are talented. Can FJ come back from injury at 31 and still hold off the highly paid young budding star? Or will Spiller take his eventual spot as our star RB sooner rather than later?

In the short run they should get carries based on who's having the stronger game as the game progresses. In the long run Spiller should be the guy with Fred backing him up until he retires/no longer effective

I don't care who is the starter...I'm just glad CJ had such a good year last year...he had some really nice runs/scores.

Should be like that for all positions; competition makes you better. In any event we have both of them and they will both play. I could care less...

freddy is great, god i hope he keeps his explosiveness.

he reminded me of thurman... the way he could get a ball in the midst of 8 defenders, and turn it into a 16 yard gain.

spiller.. hes got speed if he can get the corner... but hes not elusive, per se.

either way - great problem to have.

i love that were debating our running back depth chart, instead of asking "where can we find a running back????"

I hope Spiller is working hard because I have zero doubt that Freddie J is doing exactly that. If Jackson is healthy, there's no way in hell Spiller beats him out. Jackson is superior in every phase of the game. The only edge CJ has is straight line speed.

Run DMC was considered a bust in his first two seasons and broke out in his third. I'm thinking Nix and Gailey have that in the back of their mind and they're going to do their best to give Spiller the chance to prove himself. It sucks for Freddie b/c he showed last year that he may be the best RB in the NFL. I'm hoping that Gailey finds a way to make them both successful...imagine two 1000 yrd RBs in the Bills' backfield....

Run DMC was considered a bust in his first two seasons and broke out in his third. I'm thinking Nix and Gailey have that in the back of their mind and they're going to do their best to give Spiller the chance to prove himself. It sucks for Freddie b/c he showed last year that he may be the best RB in the NFL. I'm hoping that Gailey finds a way to make them both successful...imagine two 1000 yrd RBs in the Bills' backfield....

Draft a big mean LT @10 and we will be a run the ball down your throat team...

I don't care who starts as long as Gailey get them both 15-20 touches a piece. Enough of throwing deep on 3rd and short! :wallbash:

And this is the key. Whoever the starter is at RB for the Bills does not necessarily mean that Gailey is going to let Jackson or Spiller carry the ball 30 times in a game.

IMO our offensive philosophy has got to use both the run and the pass, but Gailey appears to be far more committed to the pass.

Stealth hit it on the head. They should almost be a 50/50 split going into every game and as the game develops, the one that's getting hot should see more carries until proven to be stopped in that game.

Couldn't tell you how frustrated I was last year when CJ would have a TD and 60+ at the half to only get 6 carries in the 2nd half. This really questioned my belief in Chan as a gameday coach and playcaller.

The only position on a team that shouldn't always be subject to competition is QB after you have a solid starter. Competition in QBs breeds controversy and flip flopping the position has such a negative ripple effect on the whole team.

Every other position is fair game, including running back and stars like freddie. I love freddie, but I hope he realizes spillers role is going to vastly increase.. as it should. If by chance we make it to the playoffs, freddie will be better off for having spiller take a big load anyways.

I hope Spiller is working hard because I have zero doubt that Freddie J is doing exactly that. If Jackson is healthy, there's no way in hell Spiller beats him out. Jackson is superior in every phase of the game. The only edge CJ has is straight line speed.

I have no idea how anyone can disagree with this post.

I agree...but Spiller did start to get un-tracked after Fred went down last season. I just hope this goes over better with FJ than being second string for the first pre-season game last August... it will be interesting to see if his contract gets extended, as Nix seems to have promised. If they do this right, these guys could be dynamite together.

Couldn't tell you how frustrated I was last year when CJ would have a TD and 60+ at the half to only get 6 carries in the 2nd half. This really questioned my belief in Chan as a gameday coach and playcaller.

I like Chan quite a bit, but I kind of agree on this. I thought the his premature killing of the run game played a big part in two losses in 2011. We aren't privy to what goes on the sidelines all the time, but I remember Spiller had a terrific first half against the Dolphins, the second time they played...then, inexplicably, he barely touched the ball in the second half...after the game, Chan said something like "He wasn't as effective as we wanted him to be, at that point in the game."