Being a Buffalonian

Stenbar

I was born in Childrens Hospital in 1969. My parents were born in Buffalo n the 1940's, theyre parents immigrated from Italy and Ireland and came to Buffalo to work and raise theyre families. My family grew up working from the time they could wipe theyre own ass till they couldnt work anymore. My father moved us from Buffalo to Detroit to Dallas and Back all by the time I had reached the age of 13. Ive lived in the Great Motor City, I lived thru the Big oil boom of the 70's in Dallas. When I was 18 and old enough to serve my country I joined the USMC for 8 yrs. And when I was done I came home, to BUFFALO NY...I am so damn sick and tired of all these people busting on my hometown. Who the hell are you!!! Have you enjoyed your economic coddling of your parents so much that all you have now is the gift of slamming people who work damn hard to live? People who give up big houses big cars big bank accounts big paying jobs to live and fight for a place they love and call home? You who throw these little pebbles should take a big step back and look at yourself..You have no right at all to belittle the life we choose..If having a NFL football team charades ur view of us then take it..I dont need you or anyone else who hasnt walked the walk I do everyday to live here or look down on my family because I live in Buffalo NY...I dont want your approval of my homefront...I dont need it..You live in your glass house you throw boulders from and Ill live in my house I build them in...Go away if you dont want to be here..But GDAM im sick of people trashing my PLACE I LIVE IN..I dont need the Bills or anyone else to make me proud of where the hell I LIVE!!!! SCREW YOU

I think this stems from a Shoutbox conversation in which one poster was making bad jokes about Buffalo on one side of his mouth, and from the other, proclaiming that he was a Bills fan and just "telling the truth."

He was hard to believe to say the least.

What he was saying and who he said he was didn't add up.

I was born in Childrens Hospital in 1969. My parents were born in Buffalo n the 1940's, theyre parents immigrated from Italy and Ireland and came to Buffalo to work and raise theyre families. My family grew up working from the time they could wipe theyre own ass till they couldnt work anymore. My father moved us from Buffalo to Detroit to Dallas and Back all by the time I had reached the age of 13. Ive lived in the Great Motor City, I lived thru the Big oil boom of the 70's in Dallas. When I was 18 and old enough to serve my country I joined the USMC for 8 yrs. And when I was done I came home, to BUFFALO NY...I am so damn sick and tired of all these people busting on my hometown. Who the hell are you!!! Have you enjoyed your economic coddling of your parents so much that all you have now is the gift of slamming people who work damn hard to live? People who give up big houses big cars big bank accounts big paying jobs to live and fight for a place they love and call home? You who throw these little pebbles should take a big step back and look at yourself..You have no right at all to belittle the life we choose..If having a NFL football team charades ur view of us then take it..I dont need you or anyone else who hasnt walked the walk I do everyday to live here or look down on my family because I live in Buffalo NY...I dont want your approval of my homefront...I dont need it..You live in your glass house you throw boulders from and Ill live in my house I build them in...Go away if you dont want to be here..But GDAM im sick of people trashing my PLACE I LIVE IN..I dont need the Bills or anyone else to make me proud of where the hell I LIVE!!!! SCREW YOU

You are awesome.

Exactly!

What brought this all on?

Exactly!

What brought this all on?

Well its been brewing for a very long time to be honest with you, and it blew up while listening to the gr show with Schopp and the Bulldog yesterday..They said something that just made me snap....How long has it been since we were relevant in the NFL news? This is great they proclaimed!!!! If you need to have a bunch of self backslapping media hounds talking about your city to make you feel relevant then we really have our head up our ass...My Grandfather moved here from Sicily in 1906 and when he turned 9 in 1911 he was delivering 20lb blocks of ice to houses to feed his brothers and sisters 18 hrs a day just to get by. Thats the kind of man that built this city!!!! Sure we have hit hard times, we have lost hundreds of thousands of people to better jobs...But for the ones who have stayed and worked through that and made it here, we have to be ridiculed by million dollar football players, million dollar punk ass hockey players because our hotels dont have water shooting up to clean theyre asses...Im sick of it..If we need to have a NFL football team here or a NHL hockey team here to make us feel better about ourselves then the hell with that...I dont want it or need it..They think because they live in a BIG place they can just crap on us....I can tell you this about that man, I guarantee this I worked and sweated harder at Bells Park Edge in 1985 moving carts in the snow when i was 16 than any of the men who talk crap out of theyre pie holes now 8 hrs a day combined in theyre whole pathetic life..And I will sit by no more and take it....I have more sweat on my butcrack from typing this than any of them built up in 10 yrs spouting crap from theyre mouth.....

Well its been brewing for a very long time to be honest with you, and it blew up while listening to the gr show with Schopp and the Bulldog yesterday..They said something that just made me snap....How long has it been since we were relevant in the NFL news? This is great they proclaimed!!!! If you need to have a bunch of self backslapping media hounds talking about your city to make you feel relevant then we really have our head up our ass...My Grandfather moved here from Sicily in 1906 and when he turned 9 in 1911 he was delivering 20lb blocks of ice to houses to feed his brothers and sisters 18 hrs a day just to get by. Thats the kind of man that built this city!!!! Sure we have hit hard times, we have lost hundreds of thousands of people to better jobs...But for the ones who have stayed and worked through that and made it here, we have to be ridiculed by million dollar football players, million dollar punk ass hockey players because our hotels dont have water shooting up to clean theyre asses...Im sick of it..If we need to have a NFL football team here or a NHL hockey team here to make us feel better about ourselves then the hell with that...I dont want it or need it..They think because they live in a BIG place they can just crap on us....I can tell you this about that man, I guarantee this I worked and sweated harder at Bells Park Edge in 1985 moving carts in the snow when i was 16 than any of the men who talk crap out of theyre pie holes now 8 hrs a day combined in theyre whole pathetic life..And I will sit by no more and take it....I have more sweat on my butcrack from typing this than any of them built up in 10 yrs spouting crap from theyre mouth.....

A-!@#$ing-men, my Western New York brother! A-!@#$ing-men! Robert !@#$ing Meachem didn't sign here because he knows blue collar Buffalonians like you and I will hold primadonna pieces of **** like him accountable for his efforts.

Edited by Mark Miller

A-!@#$ing-men, my Western New York brother! A-!@#$ing-men! Robert !@#$ing Meachem didn't sign here because he knows blue collar Buffalonians like you and I will hold primadonna pieces of **** like him accountable for his efforts.

So he should have taken less money and been a #2 WR instead.... got it!

Look, I get the anger when someone verbally attacks Buffalo, but what Meachem did was look out for himself and his family by taking the better offer. He'd have been a bigger piece of **** NOT taking the better offer.

To you this is a game, but to him, this is his career. Relax.

Edited by billsrcursed

I understand pride in your city, but none of these players are from Buffalo. Mario Williams is just looking for the best situation for his life. It's not a personal offense to the people of Buffalo. He is from NC I think. The Bills haven't been to the playoffs in a decade, and lost 7 straight games last year. I WOULDN'T SIGN WITH THEM! I would sign with a team that has shown some consistency, for similar money.

He doesn't owe the people of Buffalo, or the Bills, ANYTHING.

Has he even ever played a game here? He isn't out to offend you personally...

My Grandfather moved here from Sicily in 1906 and when he turned 9 in 1911 he was delivering 20lb blocks of ice to houses to feed his brothers and sisters 18 hrs a day just to get by. Thats the kind of man that built this city!!!!

This made me cry.

Although writing this reply is going to make me late for work, I don't care I need to take a stance on this whole free agency thing. Robert Meachum can kiss my ass, I wasn't thrilled about him personally but professionally I give props to Buddy Nix & Co, because they know more about this whole thing than I do. If Meachum is one of the pieces that we need than I wanted us to sign him. As far as Mario goes, yeah I want us to get him.....bad but my loyalty isn't to him when it comes down to the brass tacks. It's to me and the many others who made up our region. We are not second best nor should we feel embarrassed if he doesn't sign with Buffalo. I give kudos to our guys, they are giving it our best shot and I'm proud of them for it. Regardless of the outcome we will be contenders this year. We have a great core and a ton of resources to add to it but most of all we have players who WANT and are HAPPY to be here. I want to take this time to thank them specifically for, well, being one of US. Although Nix, Brandon, Gailey and others who make up our front are "outsiders", they have a great pride about us and I'm sure that, especially if Williams doesn't sign, that this will not be forgotten and their resolve will only deepen to find alternatives to get this franchise fully back on track.

I'm going to work now and yeah until this whole thing plays out it will be on my mind heavily there is going to be a difference. I'm not going to worry about it or feel ashamed or embarrassed if Mario doesn't sign with us. Needless to say I'll be pissed but instead of being disenchanted with our team I'm going to be more solidified about them. That's because we are a bunch of sick bastards but we sure are loyal SOBs! LOL! I'm proud of who I am, who my children are and who my former neighbors are. I live in SW Florida now and let me tell you something, they sure don't make 'em like they do back home! I sure hope we get Mario but even if we don't we're gonna be ok, I believe in our leaders and our players and we WILL live to see another day and go forward from this. Why? Because like Tim Russert said, it's our make-up, it's who we are and we're damn proud of it.

Have a good day folks, I'll be thinking of ya today with a smile and a BIG sense of pride.

You won't ever hear me trashing Buffalo...just the Marine Corps! :thumbsup:;)

Go Chair Force!

Lighten up. Why do people here have to get so fired up defending the city? Who cares what other people think? Just ignore it.

Exactly. And Buffalo is NOT the Jem it was in the early 1900's. At one point it was one of the 10 largest cities in the world. Then the politicians in Albany destroyed what was one of America's best cities by raising taxes to astronomical levels, driving out businesses, jobs, and thus people. It and Detroit have not survived the rust-belt decay. Why: (1) Detroit is run by inept car companies; (2) Buffalo is hindered by morons in Albany only out to see that NYC does well.

Contrast that with Cleveland and Pittsburgh which have transformed their cities following the collapse of the 1970's industrial boom.

This made me cry.

Although writing this reply is going to make me late for work, I don't care I need to take a stance on this whole free agency thing. Robert Meachum can kiss my ass, I wasn't thrilled about him personally but professionally I give props to Buddy Nix & Co, because they know more about this whole thing than I do. If Meachum is one of the pieces that we need than I wanted us to sign him. As far as Mario goes, yeah I want us to get him.....bad but my loyalty isn't to him when it comes down to the brass tacks. It's to me and the many others who made up our region. We are not second best nor should we feel embarrassed if he doesn't sign with Buffalo. I give kudos to our guys, they are giving it our best shot and I'm proud of them for it. Regardless of the outcome we will be contenders this year. We have a great core and a ton of resources to add to it but most of all we have players who WANT and are HAPPY to be here. I want to take this time to thank them specifically for, well, being one of US. Although Nix, Brandon, Gailey and others who make up our front are "outsiders", they have a great pride about us and I'm sure that, especially if Williams doesn't sign, that this will not be forgotten and their resolve will only deepen to find alternatives to get this franchise fully back on track.

I'm going to work now and yeah until this whole thing plays out it will be on my mind heavily there is going to be a difference. I'm not going to worry about it or feel ashamed or embarrassed if Mario doesn't sign with us. Needless to say I'll be pissed but instead of being disenchanted with our team I'm going to be more solidified about them. That's because we are a bunch of sick bastards but we sure are loyal SOBs! LOL! I'm proud of who I am, who my children are and who my former neighbors are. I live in SW Florida now and let me tell you something, they sure don't make 'em like they do back home! I sure hope we get Mario but even if we don't we're gonna be ok, I believe in our leaders and our players and we WILL live to see another day and go forward from this. Why? Because like Tim Russert said, it's our make-up, it's who we are and we're damn proud of it.

Have a good day folks, I'll be thinking of ya today with a smile and a BIG sense of pride.

You believe in the leaders of Buffalo and NYS. The sunshine in Florida is really coloring your perspective of things. What have any of them done the last 50 years but drive businesses away. And it's not just Buffalo. Look at upstate and the southern tire. Xerox: gone. Kodack: gone. GM plants: Gone. Carrier: Gone. IBM: gone.

As a diverse and tight knit community, I love Buffalo too.

It's probably the best small town in the country. Practically anything you want to do recreationally is there for you, and they don't have the traffic and geographical issues experienced here in Atl. Reasonable housing prices and outstanding food. If you have a decent job and don't have issues with the winters, there's' probably not a better place to live and raise a family.

It's just a shame that that the business community and politicians can't seem to get on the same page and get anything done that will produce a dynamic job market. Outside of government, education, medical research, and a few other niche job opportunities, there's little there as compared to other NFL cities. It's practically a microcosm of the Federal model - minimal manufacturing/production of goods, top heavy in government and services.

A strong economy relies on producing something that can bring in money from outside.

But to your point about someone's opinion of Buffalo, why do you care so much? If there is such a thing as collective low self-esteem, Buffalonians are the most paranoid people in the USA - forever concerned with how outsiders view them or what is said by someone in a national arena or publication. It's really gay.

Just like we do our politicians... :thumbsup:

Nice post. totally respect your view. I was born at Childrens hospital, my parents were born here and my grandparents immigrated here too.

Sorry though, i do need the Bills here to help feel a sense of civic pride. If the Bills ever leave, Buffalo is Akron or Toledo. No thanks.

I heard some of them yesterday but I got the impression that they meant the team and not the city.

You won't ever hear me trashing Buffalo...just the Marine Corps! :thumbsup:;)

Go Chair Force!

Army all the way :)

Anyway. I'm from Rochester, which to me is the same thing as Buffalo. I pride myself on where I am from. Who cares if we have nothing to offer except cheap EVERYTHING, great food, and more murders per capita than NYC? It's my home town. I'm used to it and I love it.

That being said, I never went home after I joined the Army. I got out of the military and settled in Northern Virginia where I have a great job and a great life. I would never move back to Rochester, because it's just too damn poor and oppressed. I couldn't have the life there that I do here.