Buddy Nix is a good GM

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy Nix will be considered a good GM when this team is a playoff contender and actually making the playoffs and doing well in them. Until then its just another GM that still hasn't gotten us into the playoffs.

I think its done. The biggest FA outside of Manning isn't going to waste time. If Buddy Nix didn't have a deal he and his agent liked he wouldn't be in Buffalo right now

I'll hold off on calling him a "good GM" until he can put together a team that puts together a few years of making the playoffs. Until then he gets an "incomplete."

That being said, I'm happy with what I've seen this offseason (and I liked last year's draft too.) For years I've complained about the treadmill the Bills get on by letting their best players go and replacing them with rooks. Finally the Bills signed their own guys and are looking to make strides forward instead of treading water. Even if the Bills don't land Mario this offseason has already been better than most in the past decade.

Fair enough, but you have to admit the Bills have a different, more focused feel with Nix and Gailey in charge. This team has essentially been rudderless since Polian left.

PTR

Fair enough, but you have to admit the Bills have a different, more focused feel with Nix and Gailey in charge. This team has essentially been rudderless since Polian left.

PTR

I disagree. Butler's teams were very good with probably the best defense we've ever seen in WNY. They made a calculated run at getting the ring but it didn't turn out.

I don't see the current situation much differently than the Donahoe era - though it's MUCH different than the Marv/Jauron situation.

Comparing Stroud To Mario Williams is insane...Not trying to be mean

Not insane, Stroud was a premier DT when we acquired him, its just he had battled some injuries and was a few years older. He did not find that same dominant form he had in Jax and not having much support around him here didnt help either.

That being said, I have no fears of Mario not regaining his dominant form, ESPECIALLY playing along side Kyle and Dareus. He is a young stud and I can't wait to see him playing in a Bills uni!

I disagree. Butler's teams were very good with probably the best defense we've ever seen in WNY. They made a calculated run at getting the ring but it didn't turn out.

I don't see the current situation much differently than the Donahoe era - though it's MUCH different than the Marv/Jauron situation.

And I disagree here ;)

Butler inherited a winning team, didnt build anything, and left us in Cap Hell. Donahoe had no plan on how to build or build through the draft, and only signed guys to sell tickets.

If Nix pulls this all off, THIS is how you build a team.

I am concerned we will be short of cash next year and the year after.

Shouldn't we just slow down here and take some time off to think about this relationship?, or should we drink more koolaid and dance naked on the beach and say screw tomorrow? I say screw tomorrow. and give the man the money, let tomorrow bring what it will.

like many happy sack dances

Not insane, Stroud was a premier DT when we acquired him, its just he had battled some injuries and was a few years older. He did not find that same dominant form he had in Jax and not having much support around him here didnt help either.

That being said, I have no fears of Mario not regaining his dominant form, ESPECIALLY playing along side Kyle and Dareus. He is a young stud and I can't wait to see him playing in a Bills uni!

Stroud was in no way shape or form a premiere DT when we traded for him. John Henderson was the star of that show with the Jags.

I am concerned we will be short of cash next year and the year after.

Shouldn't we just slow down here and take some time off to think about this relationship?, or should we drink more koolaid and dance naked on the beach and say screw tomorrow? I say screw tomorrow. and give the man the money, let tomorrow bring what it will.

like many happy sack dances

The cap beginning next year will be rising rapidly. It should be a non issue.

While everyone was calling Ralph cheap and the Bills a Mickey Mouse franchise for sitting on $20M in cap space in 2011, Buddy Nix knew he was going to roll money into this free agency period. Maybe he had his eye on Mario Williams all along and was saving his budget for today? If he did then it was a brilliant move. Bravo, Buddy.

PTR

Nix said something interesting today when talking with Chris Brown.

The idea was that he felt some teams overestimated the salary cap this year but that "our guys" kept informing him that the salary cap would be "flat" this year.

Sounds like the front office changes might have put more competent people in place… one can only hope.

I actually think the Stroud deal was pretty solid. The problem was when we changed the defense, making Stroud ineffective.

That… and the fact that he ran out of gas.

New England picked him up and then cut him and he hasn't been heard from since.

And I disagree here ;)

Butler inherited a winning team, didnt build anything,

Typical idiotic revisionist history. Butler was in the BILLS' front office from 1987 on. He was instrumental in putting together "Polian's" teams and then continuing the winning tradition. He then went on to SD where he drafted Tomlinson and Breese in his first draft. He's as important a front office guy in the history of this team as anyone not named Polian.

The BILLS record from 1993-2000 was 54-42. They made the playoffs 4 times in 6 seasons. That was including the 1994 season (his first) when the team went from the division lead to out of the playoffs in the final 3 weeks and the season that Jim Kelly retired. The other 4 seasons they went 10-6 three times and 11-5. WE HAVEN'T MADE THE PLAYOFFS SINCE.

During that time:

He drafted Peerless, Winfield, Wiley, Nails, Moulds, Cowart (probably the most underrated BILL of all time), Ruben, Holecek, Sam Rogers, Burris, Reimersma, Dusty Ziegler (78 career NFL starts), Ken Irvin (142 Games, 72 starts), Keith Newman (102 NFL games, 77 starts), and Sean Moran (120 NFL games). He also drafted Marlon Kerner and Damian Covington, each of whom was starting to be a force when injuries ended their careers prematurely.

Brought in Pat Williams as a rookie FA, Ted Washington, Chris Speilman (team record 206 tackles), Bryce Paup (MVP), Tim Tindale, Quinn Early, Flutie, Ethan Albright (236 games as a long snapper)and signed Wade Phillips as DC.

He had exactly one bad draft, the last one. And he "left us in cap hell" because they tried to win the SB and still had Thurman, Bruce, and Andre to keep happy. Had Ralph not meddled in the QB situation and the MCM not happened...

Donahoe had no plan on how to build or build through the draft, and only signed guys to sell tickets.

Horse ****. Donahoe's biggest "blunder" was believing Bledsoe still had something left in the tank. Parcells made the same mistake a few years later. Donahoe brought in Sam Adams, London Fletcher, and Takeo Spikes. Every one of them was an excellent player for us.

Sell stupid somewhere else. We're all full up here.

My point is he maneuvered the Bills cap to put us in this position. Short of pulling a gun and holding his mom hostage you can't make him sign if he doesn't want to. But considering the news of late he wants to.

PTR

that's right - Buddy is a genius!

who else would have went a whole season without a LB corp?

entered a season without a n NFL caliber OT or backup QB?

and he was able to accumulate all of this cap money while still fielding a contender and making a deep playoff run!

genius, pure genius

and now in one day he has the fan base in a tizzy while only spending the cost of a dinner

no one does it better than Buddy!

PTR

too bad none of that focus has been on winning

and he was able to accumulate all of this cap money while still fielding a contender and making a deep playoff run!

genius, pure genius

and now in one day he has the fan base in a tizzy while only spending the cost of a dinner

It's pretty clear.

All this excitement about the Bills has made you extremely miserable.

By all means take it out on us, not on anyone you actually know.

I think I can speak for the group when I say we're happy to be here for you.

genius, pure genius

This maybe hard to imagine but maybe Nix didn't care about winning in 2010 because he knew the Bills still needed another year to be competitive? I know most GMs just snap their fingers and get good. We have to do it the old fashioned way.

PTR

I have a lot of time for Buddy. He is a football guy and I love the way he talks football. As a couple have already posted. He will be cosidered great if he gets us back to the playoffs and contending for a SB. I believe we are on the right track. He has said we build through the draft and place FA where necessary. He has kept his word. If we can sign Williams we can perhaps address other needs at the #10. Buddy has said there is plenty of value at DE/OLB but perhaps not at #10.

Let's let this play out. Charley Casserly was the GM who drafted Mario #1 when Reggie Bush was the apparent #1 and he has been considered wise for that decision. If this goes through and Mario lives up to the expectations we have, history will be kind to Buddy.

I think we were doing alright until Fitz cracked some ribs, then we lost our best O-Lineman, and our best D-Lineman, and our best player (Freddie). We didn't have the talent or depth to overcome those injuries, but not because of the lack of LBs, OTs, and backup QB. I see our 53 man roster talent getting better year by year with Buddy, and I expect that to continue next year whether we get a big splash or not.

genius, pure genius

I would agree. Granted, this is a pretty big if. A REALLY big if. But if Nix pulls it off, if he does indeed manage to get Williams to sign he will have corrected one of our biggest weaknesses with a superstar player, leaving us to concentrate on other weaknesses during the draft.

I'm picturing the line with Dareus, K. Williams, M. Williams and a healthy Merriman and getting chills. Hey, I can dream can't I?

Rather have Ingram and Merriman and Mario and Dereus and Williams.

But that would be more of a wet dream lol

Here's the thing ...

I've been as vocal a critic of this front office as anyone on here. I've called Nix a backroom hire (and he was), I've been suspect of his abilities since he (wrongly in my opinion) used his first draft pick on a RB for a team with 2 pro bowlers already at the position. I've also been very vocal about my belief that it's not entirely Nix's fault as I believe that Ralph/Littman/Overdorf are really the ones calling the shots.

The fact that the Bills threw out the red carpet for both Williams and Meachem, addressing two of the team's biggest needs, was a reassuring sign that I haven't been giving Buddy enough credit. It was a big move, and despite Meachem signing with SD, it gives me more hope that Nix not only has a plan but has enough sway with Ralph to actually implement it.

Williams signing with the Bills will give the team the best defensive line they've ever had ... and they've had great some GREAT defensive lines. Williams Squared with Dareus will make Kelsey look like a man worth his contract (guaranteed) -- THAT'S how good this line will be. It will instantly improve the secondary and will lessen the load on the (still very weak) LB corps. Plus, if Merriman has anything left (a big if) this defense could be down right nasty with a few pieces sprinkled in this year and next.

It's the right move to make and my hats off to Buddy for doing what it takes to get it done. Yes, I believe the deal IS done despite all the worry on the board. Losing Meachem sucks, but it shouldn't be held against Buddy in my opinion. Besides, this team needs players that WANT to be here. Williams is going to be a great fit in Buffalo for exactly that reason.

It's a good day to be a Bills fan.

Go Bills.

1331685615[/url]' post='2404306']

I actually think the Stroud deal was pretty solid. The problem was when we changed the defense, making Stroud ineffective.

He was solid, but nowhere near the player Mario Williams is at the age of 27

1331703722[/url]' post='2404860']

Here's the thing ...

I've been as vocal a critic of this front office as anyone on here. I've called Nix a backroom hire (and he was), I've been suspect of his abilities since he (wrongly in my opinion) used his first draft pick on a RB for a team with 2 pro bowlers already at the position. I've also been very vocal about my belief that it's not entirely Nix's fault as I believe that Ralph/Littman/Overdorf are really the ones calling the shots.

The fact that the Bills threw out the red carpet for both Williams and Meachem, addressing two of the team's biggest needs, was a reassuring sign that I haven't been giving Buddy enough credit. It was a big move, and despite Meachem signing with SD, it gives me more hope that Nix not only has a plan but has enough sway with Ralph to actually implement it.

Williams signing with the Bills will give the team the best defensive line they've ever had ... and they've had great some GREAT defensive lines. Williams Squared with Dareus will make Kelsey look like a man worth his contract (guaranteed) -- THAT'S how good this line will be. It will instantly improve the secondary and will lessen the load on the (still very weak) LB corps. Plus, if Merriman has anything left (a big if) this defense could be down right nasty with a few pieces sprinkled in this year and next.

It's the right move to make and my hats off to Buddy for doing what it takes to get it done. Yes, I believe the deal IS done despite all the worry on the board. Losing Meachem sucks, but it shouldn't be held against Buddy in my opinion. Besides, this team needs players that WANT to be here. Williams is going to be a great fit in Buffalo for exactly that reason.

It's a good day to be a Bills fan.

Go Bills.

Nice post. I agree with your assessment of how he will impact our defense. Williams x2 + Dareus will be one of the best lines the nfl has ever seen (yeah, that good IMO). Kelsey will be a better player because of it and I view as a good fit. I would probably bump drafting a DE possibly as far down as our 2nd 4th rd pick. OT, OLB, Wr and maybe even a TE or a 2nd lb with the first 4. I think Kelsey would probably start ahead of any DE not picked in the 1st anyway.

Buddy saw our biggest hole was a pass rushing DE and made the decision to go balls to walls on the best non qb available. I applaud him for that. I really wish they could've sealed the deal Tuesday, but still have hope it gets done. I'm definitely worried and will probably have nightmares about him signing in Chicago because he wants to play with peppers.

We haven't had a "Franchise" QB since Kelly retired. Butler did a terrible job as GM. By the time the team he inherited from Polian was broken up and he had to build a team on his own, he failed miserably. The 98, 99 and 2000 drafts netted us Sam Cowart, Peerless Price and Antoine Winfield. That's it. Three drafts and only 3 starters. The 2000 draft may have been the worst draft of all time. He tried to build with trades and free agents, i.e. veterans, while the stars from the early 90's were at the end of their careers. They had decent teams in 98 & 99 but they were just not good enough. HR Throwback still haunts this organization. They had a good enough defense to go all the way that year. That was the end. They were not drafting well. No franchise QB. Can only sign so many free agents. By 2001, Butler was in SD and the Bills had to blow it all up and start over. They still have really not recovered.