Mario Williams: Officially a Buffalo Bill

would a healthy Merriman suffice for now?

Not for me.

Similar to the Marcus Easley situation, you don't want to count on someone who may or may not be healthy.

And you want one more viable player there to avoid a worst-case scenario.

Stack talent and let guys compete for jobs. Build depth.

Too often in the past this team has been hopeful about the ability of players to perform their jobs and has been wrong.

Who on the current Roster will play RDE? Kelsays played LDE and Merriman's always hurt. That leaves Carrington.

As with above, you don't want to count on Carrington or anyone currently on the roster who hasn't proven anything yet.

As I said, I want the team to draft more edge rushers both at DE and at OLB. You want to have 5 guys who can pressure the QB. The Bills might have 3 right now.

Let Carrington, Kelsay, and Merriman compete for a job with an additional pass rush candidate.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1332057275[/url]' post='2413142']

This is my first visit to this epic thread, so forgive me if this was linked by anyone else...an "unbiased" scouting report of Mario Willams (some good, some bad), from a Houston area sports writer, for what it is worth:

http://blog.chron.co...mario-williams/

Your first time reading 'the Thread'?!? Hit the deck and give us 50 push ups!

Excellent read, BT. Thanks! I think most of us have seen the negatives about Mario from afar. The stuff about not being part of the 'in crowd' in Houston and a passive exterior were obvious in his presser when he spoke about just hangin' at the house. We have vocal clubhouse leaders and he will surely play alongside highly motivated interior linemen here. I don't have any concerns in this regard.

But I am concerned about the contents of this bullet:

• While Mario's bull rush is a solid weapon, unfortunately, it has been his primary weapon for most of his career. Despite having some solid defensive line coaches, he has been very slow to add to his pass rush repertoire. There is no excuse for Mario not to have developed a club move as his go-to inside pass rush. Mario doesn't have the footwork to utilize a spin move (I've seen him try … it's not pretty) so that club move is a must if Mario Williams is ever going to develop a mature outside/inside pass rush attack.

I think we have to hope he works on this aspect and, again, he'll have the help inside to find space inside the tackle where this can elevate his play. Most intriguing, he plays well from a 2 pt stance and wrecks havoc on passing downs from inside positions. Wanny will develop stunts for this that will expose guards to him up the middle. I can't wait to see this!

Not for me.

I was careful to say "healthy" and i do not mean maybe or we shall see healthy. I regard to Merriman

I am adamant about drafting some proven players to push out our question marks. i do not think Williams puts us over the top and i hope fans realize he is a key piece to the puzzle. For our 40 front we need one more nastifier and either a starting LB from draft or at least two that can at least get on the field first year. Sheppard beat out Morrison inside his rookie season and thats no knock on Morrison. i think we can get some seerious players standing behind Kelsay, carrington and or Merriman. That might be enough for the rest of the league to say uh oh we have the Bills on our schedule. at least now they cant check off a W.

lets let the Fitzy two second drop become the norm for the afc. Thats ok because we know how to answer that too!

go bills

In today's league, you move your linemen around depending on the matchups anyway. I don't know Wannstead's style of defense off the top of my head, but I'd be very surprised if Williams didn't play either or both ends, depending.

It is rumored that Williams can be very effective playing inside too...

who wants to be a real trooper and explain the origin of "ground up and in the freezer"?

I'm not sure exactly when it was mentioned for the first time in this thread, but it may have been when I first saw a reference to "He likes his women like he likes his coffee..."

Someone beat me to the punchline, but we both posted "Ground up, and in the freezer?" I am not sure if I was late to the party or if the genesis of that line of commenting pre-dated the posts I just mentioned.