Raiders to release Wimbley

cossack

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's pretty much exactly what Nix said he wants in a DE. I would be so happy if we could pick him up. But PFt says "Wimbley would be a highly valued commodity around the NFL and can expect a first-year payment from his next team that dwarfs the $11 million Oakland would have paid him." I though Mario would be getting 13-14? How expensive is it going to be to sign a good DE?

He's pretty much exactly what Nix said he wants in a DE. I would be so happy if we could pick him up. But PFt says "Wimbley would be a highly valued commodity around the NFL and can expect a first-year payment from his next team that dwarfs the $11 million Oakland would have paid him." I though Mario would be getting 13-14? How expensive is it going to be to sign a good DE?

Mario is going to walk away with $30 - $40 million guaranteed, and my money says $18 - $20 in the 1st year with salary and signing bonuses etc.

Buddy has stated something along the lines of the Bills having to.pay more for FA. I believe that if they want Wimbley, they could have him. It would just cost more than other teams.

Wimbley's contract goes through 2015 ... we could just claim him off waivers if/when Oakland cuts him

Wimbley's contract goes through 2015 ... we could just claim him off waivers if/when Oakland cuts him

I like the idea but there are too many teams in front of us in the waiver pecking order. Gotta think somebody else would claim him first.

GO BILLS!!!

First year - not per year. Big difference in total value from there.

Say he gets a 4 year 50 mil with 10 per plus a 10 signing bonus- that's 20 first year with a 12.5 average. High still but easy numbers to demonstrate with.

Edited by NoSaint

He's a vested veteran (more than 4 credited seasons in the NFL) so he doesn't go through waivers. Like Manning he'd be a FA immediately.

if the Bills really want him, why not call Oakland and offer them a pick to take him off their hands? he plays for the $11 mil he is signed for this year and no need to get into a bidding war

that is what I was thinking. The cap is not an issue for us at this point. That would be great because we would not have to get into a bidding war. We could always work with him to restructure the deal if necessary.

that is what I was thinking. The cap is not an issue for us at this point. That would be great because we would not have to get into a bidding war. We could always work with him to restructure the deal if necessary.

Can't trade til FA- does he have a bonus due?

he is being released because he refused to restructure his deal.

he is being released because he refused to restructure his deal.

I know. But our timeline for a restructure would be much different and our offer may be different. The point is that we would not have to have him restructure since we are not in cap jail like the Raiders are.

Somebody else posted that veterans cannot be traded until FA starts, I don't know if that is true, but it could be the reason he will not be traded.