Bills to be more aggressive in free agency

In past offseasons the Bills have waded carefully into the free agent market, letting the flurry of early signings go by the board before actively pursuing second tier talent that fit their philosophy and gave them good value for the money invested. When the bell rings for free agency in just over a week, the Bills will still pursue good value, but will be in the thick of the hunt from get go.

“Yes I would characterize our approach this time around as more aggressive,” Bills GM Buddy Nix told Buffalobills.com. “Our philosophy since we got here was build through the draft and then plug in mid-range guys in free agency. Wait until the first week has passed and the fanfare and overspending happens is probably over in the first three or four days. We’ve waited in the past.

“This year if there is a player that upgrades our team considerably we will be aggressive immediately. We’ll go after him. We may get him. We may not, but we’ll get in the hunt.”

As Nix himself mentioned that approach is a departure from the last two offseasons for Buffalo, but there’s a clear reason why the Bills are more eager to pursue some of the top free agent talent that could be available. They believe they’re much closer to reaching the postseason in 2012.

“I think the first two years there were so many areas that what you needed was numbers,” he said. “Now we’ve still got room for improvement everywhere, but we can probably narrow it down to four or five areas where if we had those plugged in I think we’d be competitive until the end of the year.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-to-be-more-aggressive-in-free-agency/80078e75-86f0-4e6c-97fb-538d0a8d91ee

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same thing Nix has been saying for the last two months but people all over this board have insisted on ignoring it.

As many times as I've repeated myself on this - I'm going to add this here as it's on topic:

Nix (and now Chris Brown aka OBD mouthpiece) have no reason to lie or even exaggerate about this. Why would they want to set high expecations for fans well before the FA period starts, only to piss everyone off when they don't back it up.

We can't tell from what they've said just how much they are willing to (over)pay for top FA's this season, but it's clear they intend to go hard to get the guys they need.

I would have to assume it's Stevie plus a pass rusher and maybe another WR depending on where the passrusher leaves them financially. They'll get the second passrusher they know they need in rounds 2-4 of the draft (probably in the form of multiple prospects).

People here will no doubt contunue to whine "Ralph is cheap" "Buddy is old" "the Bills never get FA's" ignoring both the Dockery/Walker/Tripplett year and everything Nix and now Brown have said. They've been on about it here for months - really tiresome. Makes me glad I no longer live in Buffalo I guess.

I will be starting an "Apologize to Ralph and Buddy" thread here the day after FA starts. I hope it's busy!!

Blah blah blah. Show me the baby.

Personally I don't care if he is more aggressive, less aggressive, the same, or passive aggressive.

What he needs to be is effective.

Nix (and now Chris Brown aka OBD mouthpiece) have no reason to lie or even exaggerate about this. Why would they want to set high expecations for fans well before the FA period starts, only to piss everyone off when they don't back it up.

Get people to re-up their seasons before FA maybe. But if you think they have no reason to lie, what reason would they have for saying anything?

Edited by CodeMonkey

Yawn. I refuse to believe buddy's claims until i see some top tier free agents being paraded to the media at OBD in their new Bills jersey. No reason to believe that littman, overdorf and the rest of the financial guys are all of a sudden going to let the Bills spend as they wish in free agency.

The same thing Nix has been saying for the last two months but people all over this board have insisted on ignoring it.

As many times as I've repeated myself on this - I'm going to add this here as it's on topic:

We can't tell from what they've said just how much they are willing to (over)pay for top FA's this season, but it's clear they intend to go hard to get the guys they need.

I would have to assume it's Stevie plus a pass rusher and maybe another WR depending on where the passrusher leaves them financially. They'll get the second passrusher they know they need in rounds 2-4 of the draft (probably in the form of multiple prospects).

People here will no doubt contunue to whine "Ralph is cheap" "Buddy is old" "the Bills never get FA's" ignoring both the Dockery/Walker/Tripplett year and everything Nix and now Brown have said. They've been on about it here for months - really tiresome. Makes me glad I no longer live in Buffalo I guess.

I will be starting an "Apologize to Ralph and Buddy" thread here the day after FA starts. I hope it's busy!!

What is the saying about cashing checks? Obviously free agency hasn't started yet so I'll believe it when I see it.

And I love that you're calling your "apology" thread shot. Because everyone who is considered negative (truthful and spot on) starts threads having the Pollys apologize for anothter failed season? Biggest double standard on this board. Like the dope who came on here after week 4 demanding everyone apologize. Hialarious.

Let things play out and if Mario Williams or Avril or Mathis and Stevie J resigns then I'll be a happy man...then there's the draft...then they actually have to play football games. Have you seriously learned nothing in the last 12 years?

Still, the foundation of your team is made through the draft. In football more than any sport, free agency is fool's gold. Case in point, see Eagles, Philadelphia.

Yeah they were an interesting case study to be sure last season.

Dream team indeed.

Yawn. I refuse to believe buddy's claims until i see some top tier free agents being paraded to the media at OBD in their new Bills jersey. No reason to believe that littman, overdorf and the rest of the financial guys are all of a sudden going to let the Bills spend as they wish in free agency.

would in 30 minutes be to soon ??

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7647122/buffalo-bills-stevie-johnson-agree-5-year-deal-according-source

Still, the foundation of your team is made through the draft. In football more than any sport, free agency is fool's gold. Case in point, see Eagles, Philadelphia.

The Pats say hello. Back when they were winning their team was loaded with FA contributors. Vrabel, Harrison, Cox, Phifer, Hamilton, Pleasant were starters alone on defense who were FA's. But who's counting. Clausen?

The Eagles sucked because Vick took a nose dive, Desean malfucntioned and Castillio was a train wreck at DC. Babin had 18 sacks.

Edited by John Cocktosten

I'm still wondering what that means to Nix. I can't see the Bills offering to make Mario Williams the richest defensive player in NFL history (which is what it would take to sign him). More likely it means going hard after someone like Jeremy Mincey at 4:01 p.m. on March 13. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I just don't equate "aggresiveness" with "big names" in Nix's book.

The Pats say hello. Back when they were winning their team was loaded with FA contributors. Vrabel, Harrison, Cox, Phifer, Hamilton, Pleasant were starters alone on defense who were FA's. But who's counting. Clausen?

The Eagles sucked because Vick took a nose dive, Desean malfucntioned and Castillio was a train wreck at DC. Babin had 18 sacks.

Yes, your take on Clausen is still hilarious. Still can't believe the Bills didn't spend a 1st on that stud. :devil:

And for the most part, the guys you named where very minor FA signing except for the Roid head Harrison. Vrabel bounced around the league and the rest of those guys were old guys at the end of their career. Those are the guys you need. Still, I think guys like Brady, Light, Seymour, Brushi, Law, (draft picks) had more to do with them winning than Roman Phifer. but that's jsut me.

I would hope that "being aggressive" isn't conveniently confused with "trying" come 3/13. It's not enough to try to sign top UFA's, it's finishing the deal and not letting the guy out of the building if you get a visit.

There are starter and depth positions of need all over the field. Retaining SJ is encouraging, but it cannot be their only significant transaction. They still need a significant upgrade at the DE and WR spots, though it appears OT can be addressed in the draft as there's little to nothing available in the UFA market.

I would hope that "being aggressive" isn't conveniently confused with "trying" come 3/13. It's not enough to try to sign top UFA's, it's finishing the deal and not letting the guy out of the building if you get a visit.

There are starter and depth positions of need all over the field. Retaining SJ is encouraging, but it cannot be their only significant transaction. They still need a significant upgrade at the DE and WR spots, though it appears OT can be addressed in the draft as there's little to nothing available in the UFA market.

Can't force the issue though. For the most part, true studs rarely hit the market (I don't think Mario ever hits the market). Remember that year when we needed a receiver and it was between Ernest Wilford and Bryant Johnson?

Yep. I believe they had 19 FA's that 2001 season and I believe half of them were starters that season. But then again, they also had videotape. ;)

Harrison was the only thing close to a big name free agent in that bunch. All those other guys were mid-tier signings.

For the most part I agree with this, but I'd say re-signing SJ is more than just "encouraging" because letting him walk would have created a HUGE hole and it was the smartest thing to do. Doesn't appear they broke the bank either. This gives them flexibility to plug those starter/depth holes you reference.

What is the saying about cashing checks? Obviously free agency hasn't started yet so I'll believe it when I see it.

And I love that you're calling your "apology" thread shot. Because everyone who is considered negative (truthful and spot on) starts threads having the Pollys apologize for anothter failed season? Biggest double standard on this board. Like the dope who came on here after week 4 demanding everyone apologize. Hialarious.

Let things play out and if Mario Williams or Avril or Mathis and Stevie J resigns then I'll be a happy man...then there's the draft...then they actually have to play football games. Have you seriously learned nothing in the last 12 years?

NO - BECAUSE YOU AND YOUR FELLOWS HAVE BEEN CONTINUOUSLY IMPLYING NIX IS A LIAR WITH NO EVIDENCE.

It's not quite as bad as the idiots here who like to mock him for his age, or his southern accent, but it's pretty tiresome.

Move south - get some sunshine, a better economy, and a brighter outlook. You can live down here near DC and hear how people whine about an owner who blows all his draft picks and cap space chasing big name veterans instead - great change of pace.

None, except for the fact that they've stated repeatedly that for this season they intend to make an exception to their usual practice.

Yawn yourself.

Edited by BobChalmers

NO - BECAUSE YOU AND YOUR FELLOWS HAVE BEEN CONTINUOUSLY IMPLYING NIX IS A LIAR WITH NO EVIDENCE.

It's not quite as bad as the idiots here who like to mock him for his age, or his southern accent, but it's pretty tiresome.

Move south - get some sunshine, a better economy, and a brighter outlook. You can live down here near DC and hear how people whine about an owner who blows all his draft picks and cap space chasing big name veterans instead - great change of pace.

None, except for the fact that they've stated repeatedly that for this season they intend to make an exception to their usual practice.

Yawn yourself.

Look at the history, specifically the past 3-4 years. Nowhere in there is any evidence that the Bills will actually spend the money on top level free agents. (And issuing bloated contracts to crappy second and third rate OLs doesn't count) As i said, I'll believe buddy and change my tune when there's ink on a few big time free agent contracts next week. And parading a couple of guys through OBD while ultimately losing them to another team doesn't count.

Stevie was a great start, albeit a moved that desperately needed to be completed. Next step: Let's see how they actually perform next week.

Look at the history, specifically the past 3-4 years. Nowhere in there is any evidence that the Bills will actually spend the money on top level free agents. (And issuing bloated contracts to crappy second and third rate OLs doesn't count) As i said, I'll believe buddy and change my tune when there's ink on a few big time free agent contracts next week. And parading a couple of guys through OBD while ultimately losing them to another team doesn't count.

Stevie was a great start, albeit a moved that desperately needed to be completed. Next step: Let's see how they actually perform next week.

Their history is no evidence of anything here because Buddy, Chris Brown, and everyone else acknowledge their history. They are explicity and clearly staing that they are deviating from their history for this one season.

You are calling them liars with no basis.

Now, if you can find me where in previous seasons Buddy Nix said they were going to go aggressive on FA and didn't, accuse away.

And, as I've said - if they don't really do it this season, then we should all be calling him out.

In the meantime - this is just the same tiresome "we live in Buffalo, we suck" whining with nothing to back it up.

Yeah - and the DE spot is going to be tough. It's a bad year to need that position.

I can't imagine bringing in a FA DE this season without "overpaying" given how bad the prospects look in the draft. Having said that, they may just do it - we'll see.

I'm just glad my son's new SJ #13 jersey of last year isn't already wasted! Yay for five more years of use. (He's in college now so it should continue to fit)

Edited by BobChalmers

I agree with this completely. The Bills have earned an "I'll believe it when I see it" approach from the fans. That said, I sure do want to believe it.