Salary Cap Casualties! What veteran Bills cut next week?

This year could be interesting. Around the NFL there are rumblings that a lot of veterans will soon be cut to save money - Peyton Manning, Hines Ward, Keith Brooking, Lee Evans, Jason Smith etc.

We have a good amount of cap space but I'm thinking that The Bills would be wise to unload some players given several factors salary, age, and current offensive/defensive philosophies. Here are my picks:

Dwan Edwards - a very average player but one that is best suited in a 3-4 defense. With our team switching to a 4-3, I don't think there's a spot of Dwan.

Spencer Johnson - Spencer is getting up there in years and his productivity seems to be on the decline. We would be wise to dump him and replace him with a younger player ready to contribute.

Bryan Scott - We resigned Scott last year but he saw limited time. With D'Norris Searcy on the rise, it may be time to say goodbye to an otherwise very solid backup.

Chris Kelsay - Sorry but I have never really been thrilled with Kelsay. He just does not produce for what we pay him. I would have cut him last year as well. Hoping we pull the trigger this year.

Shawne Merriman - I know some people will argue this one, but it's clear that Merriman has lost it. He's a shell of the player he once was and is out of place in a 4-3.

I know some loyal fans in here disagree with these picks, but this is what I would do if I were running the team.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This year could be interesting. Around the NFL there are rumblings that a lot of veterans will soon be cut to save money - Peyton Manning, Hines Ward, Keith Brooking, Lee Evans, Jason Smith etc.

We have a good amount of cap space but I'm thinking that The Bills would be wise to unload some players given several factors salary, age, and current offensive/defensive philosophies. Here are my picks:

Dwan Edwards - a very average player but one that is best suited in a 3-4 defense. With our team switching to a 4-3, I don't think there's a spot of Dwan.

Spencer Johnson - Spencer is getting up there in years and his productivity seems to be on the decline. We would be wise to dump him and replace him with a younger player ready to contribute.

Bryan Scott - We resigned Scott last year but he saw limited time. With D'Norris Searcy on the rise, it may be time to say goodbye to an otherwise very solid backup.

Chris Kelsay - Sorry but I have never really been thrilled with Kelsay. He just does not produce for what we pay him. I would have cut him last year as well. Hoping we pull the trigger this year.

Shawne Merriman - I know some people will argue this one, but it's clear that Merriman has lost it. He's a shell of the player he once was and is out of place in a 4-3.

I know some loyal fans in here disagree with these picks, but this is what I would do if I were running the team.

I haven't looked at the $ saved, but (excluding Kelsay) I'd be surprised if the total $ saved was enough to sign a mid-tier FA this year. These guys are

solid vets who don't cost a ton. I am not sure cutting them to replace them with late round draft picks is the best idea.

I haven't looked at the $ saved, but (excluding Kelsay) I'd be surprised if the total $ saved was enough to sign a mid-tier FA this year. These guys are

solid vets who don't cost a ton. I am not sure cutting them to replace them with late round draft picks is the best idea.

Out of this group....Scott is the only one that I would consider to be a "solid" player. I'd call the others "The Expendables" because really they are. We would be able to get more production out of UFA's that from some of these guys.

Out of this group....Scott is the only one that I would consider to be a "solid" player. I'd call the others "The Expendables" because really they are. We would be able to get more production out of UFA's that from some of these guys.

Scott's a free agent. He signed a 2 year deal before 2010, it expired after the season.

If the Bills would save a ton of money by cutting Edwards or Spencer, I could go along with that...but unless the savings is substantial, I just assume keep vetrans like them...while neither is a pro-bowler, it is really hard, for me, to assess the talent of our defensive players, as, I am convinced, they have been poorly coached, in a scheme that they were not equipped to run, for a few years now. I am pretty excited to see what a defensive coordinator, with a track record of success, can do with this group. I like what he says about simplifying the defense. You have veteran guys like Edwards and Johnson, they may look a lot better. Both of those guys had more of an impact with their previous teams.

Not so sure that we are done with Scott. I think he's a valuable asset as a veteran SS/LB tweener that can cover TEs and guys underneath, which is needed especially against the Pats. I dont think Searcy or Wilson have the size to fill that role.

If we can bring him back at a similar salary, then he's definitely worth re-signing, imo.

As far as Bills cap casualties, I dont see any reason to cut anyone right now simply due to their cost. We have plenty of cap room, and I dont think there is anyone that would save us that much upon release. I think they'll plan on bringing as many defensive players into camp as possible. Let everyone compete and see how it shakes out.

Maybe they release Edwards, but that would be more of a courtesy to him so he could find a team that will use him better/more. Depending on what Wanny is planning, of course.

Edited by DrDareustein

Edwards is gone. Scott probably won't be back unless it's cheap. Johnson is either a late camp cut or depth. Kelsay is starting LDE and Merriman is situational pass-rushing DE.

Agree with all that. Merriman will hopefully step up in the OLB/DE pass rush.

Kelsay shound have been cut every single year for the last 6 years. He is aful and only has a spot in the NFL on the Bills. Why, I don't know. Had we cut him 5 years ago, he would have been a retired player five years ago already, no othe team would put up with his solid lack of production. Awful player, epitomizes the ****ty Bills.

kelsey wont be cut...we are going back to the 4-3 and that would leave another huge hole

Edwards Gone

Spencer Johnson's productivity dropped because he was being misused, he is a very solid 4-3 rotational tackle and would be vry nice to have if Dareus or Williams go down. He's 30 has another 3 good years. Troupe has showed nothing but lower back pain, coaching staff seems to like Kellen Heard better anyway...release Troupe

Bryan Scott gone...we can live without him, but he may come cheap

Edwards is gone. Scott probably won't be back unless it's cheap. Johnson is either a late camp cut or depth. Kelsay is starting LDE and Merriman is situational pass-rushing DE.

SOrry but I am just not sold on Merriman. How many sacks has he had in his career with his hand on the ground. They guy is not a DE and I have little faith that he can play an entire season, much less generate a pass rush.

You don't cut Kelsey. He is the only 4-3 de on our team. The guy isn't great, but he is serviceable, if not above average in the 4-3. Now 3-4 olb he is worthless. But they aren't going to get a replacement for him. Hell, they have to find someone to play opposite him, then they have to find depth for both sides.

There are no players that are cap casualties. Mcgee looked like he would be, but guess not. Merriman and dwan will prob get cut, but just because they don't fit in the 4-3, not because it will give us more cap room

You don't cut Kelsey. He is the only 4-3 de on our team. The guy isn't great, but he is serviceable, if not above average in the 4-3. Now 3-4 olb he is worthless. But they aren't going to get a replacement for him. Hell, they have to find someone to play opposite him, then they have to find depth for both sides.

There are no players that are cap casualties. Mcgee looked like he would be, but guess not. Merriman and dwan will prob get cut, but just because they don't fit in the 4-3, not because it will give us more cap room

That is very generous of you. He is not serviceable at all. He is well below average in the 4-3 and has done nothing for the Bills over his entire career, but cost us plenty in both money and points against. You have blinders on to not realize that. It is sad we still have that guy on the team and blind fans supporting that.

Cutting him does not create any hole since the huge hole is actually, Kelsay himself.

I agree with all of those except Kelsay. I think Kelsay while not worth the money they clearly like him enough to keep extending the guys contract. On top of that with a switch to a 4-3 he is really the only pure 4-3 DE on the roster so roster wise he servers a purpose as he can play a decent 4-3 DE.

Merriman will be kept till camp to see what he has. Guy can play in a 4-3 but likely they will just kick the tires on him in camp then send him packing come late cuts in camp. Edwards is expensive and a 3-4 guy (Granted I thought he played OK his two years here) might have been able to get a 6th or 7th for him if his contract was low, Spencer Johnson will be kept in camp as insurance in case Troupe can't make the squad. I basically see them going to have McCargo, Johnson, Heard, Jasper, and Troupe battle it out for the last 2 DT spots. But I can see Spencer getting cut as well.

Scott is expendable with Searcy on the rise. In the end I see Edwards and Scott definitely being cut, Johnson and Merriman on the bubble, and Kelsay ain't going anywhere.

got to go with Dwan as he doesn't fit and I would definitely cut Merriman. If they he can play DE they're crazy, he showed last year he couldn't go against OTs and he should be in a 34 if he can ever get healthy.

I agree with all of those except Kelsay. I think Kelsay while not worth the money they clearly like him enough to keep extending the guys contract. On top of that with a switch to a 4-3 he is really the only pure 4-3 DE on the roster so roster wise he servers a purpose as he can play a decent 4-3 DE.

Merriman will be kept till camp to see what he has. Guy can play in a 4-3 but likely they will just kick the tires on him in camp then send him packing come late cuts in camp. Edwards is expensive and a 3-4 guy (Granted I thought he played OK his two years here) might have been able to get a 6th or 7th for him if his contract was low, Spencer Johnson will be kept in camp as insurance in case Troupe can't make the squad. I basically see them going to have McCargo, Johnson, Heard, Jasper, and Troupe battle it out for the last 2 DT spots. But I can see Spencer getting cut as well.

Scott is expendable with Searcy on the rise. In the end I see Edwards and Scott definitely being cut, Johnson and Merriman on the bubble, and Kelsay ain't going anywhere.

I wouldn't count Troup out so easily. He has been injured and a back injury is a big concern for a DT, but the guy

seems to be very dedicated to working out to improve and become a contributing player. He reportedly worked out

very hard last offseason to become bigger and stronger. If they have corrected his back problem, I am hopeful that

he can help this team.