Salary Cap Casualties! What veteran Bills cut next week?

I would only cut Spencer Johnson. I just don't see it with him. The other guys I want around, yes even Kelsay. He is overpaid, but he is solid against the Run and is better in a 4-3 than 3-4.

You do understand Johnson is a natural 4-3 DT with a pretty solid career as a backup to one of the best DT tandems in the last decade - Pat and Kevin Williams. He's not going to start over Kyle and Marcell either, obviously, but he's excellent depth there.

He was very solid for the Bills in that role too. Why in heck they thought a DT would work out well moving to OLB is beyond understanding, other than it says something for why the Bills fired their DC.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This year could be interesting. Around the NFL there are rumblings that a lot of veterans will soon be cut to save money - Peyton Manning, Hines Ward, Keith Brooking, Lee Evans, Jason Smith etc.

We have a good amount of cap space but I'm thinking that The Bills would be wise to unload some players given several factors salary, age, and current offensive/defensive philosophies. Here are my picks:

Dwan Edwards - a very average player but one that is best suited in a 3-4 defense. With our team switching to a 4-3, I don't think there's a spot of Dwan.

Spencer Johnson - Spencer is getting up there in years and his productivity seems to be on the decline. We would be wise to dump him and replace him with a younger player ready to contribute.

Bryan Scott - We resigned Scott last year but he saw limited time. With D'Norris Searcy on the rise, it may be time to say goodbye to an otherwise very solid backup.

Chris Kelsay - Sorry but I have never really been thrilled with Kelsay. He just does not produce for what we pay him. I would have cut him last year as well. Hoping we pull the trigger this year.

Shawne Merriman - I know some people will argue this one, but it's clear that Merriman has lost it. He's a shell of the player he once was and is out of place in a 4-3.

I know some loyal fans in here disagree with these picks, but this is what I would do if I were running the team.

And replace them with who exactly?? Other teams' "solid backups" and other "up there in age" or "lost it" guys? Lets keep as much of the talent as we have that is under contract and build on it. Have them compete in July and then choose who stays and who goes.

kelsey wont be cut...we are going back to the 4-3 and that would leave another huge hole

Edwards Gone

Spencer Johnson's productivity dropped because he was being misused, he is a very solid 4-3 rotational tackle and would be vry nice to have if Dareus or Williams go down. He's 30 has another 3 good years. Troupe has showed nothing but lower back pain, coaching staff seems to like Kellen Heard better anyway...release Troupe

Bryan Scott gone...we can live without him, but he may come cheap

Agreed. Imagine being a DT and having your coaches tell you in the cafetaria at training camp that you're being switched to OLB. I can see him about to take a bite out of a drumstick and then sadly set it down realizing the coaches just asked him to play a position he's going to be covering the oppositions TEs. I hate to rag on the coaches, but what the hell were they thinking with this one?

Agreed. Imagine being a DT and having your coaches tell you in the cafetaria at training camp that you're being switched to OLB. I can see him about to take a bite out of a drumstick and then sadly set it down realizing the coaches just asked him to play a position he's going to be covering the oppositions TEs. I hate to rag on the coaches, but what the hell were they thinking with this one?

I thought it was genius. You gotta keep the other team on their toes. If it were me I would have rotated him with McKelvin at OLB. Think of the mismatches!! Opposing coaches wouldn't know how to defend it. Do they put a big T that can defend the bull rush, or a quick one that can keep McKelvin from getting around him? It would give D coordinators fits! Fits, I tell you!

+1 I agree completely. Kelsay should become a solid player once again.

He should be solid, but probably also unspectacular. I'd keep him so as to not create another hole. But I'd be drafting or signing his replacement.

I doubt any of them get cut until an ample replacement is signed or drafted to replace them. With players currently on the roster your starting front 4 is likely Edwards-Dareus-KWilliams-Kelsay. Hopefully that will change with additions but I doubt anyone is dumped until that time.

Edited by Carey Bender

I doubt any of them get cut until an ample replacement is signed or drafted to replace them. With players currently on the roster your starting front 4 is likely Edwards-Dareus-KWilliams-Kelsay. Hopefully that will change with additions but I doubt anyone is dumped until that time.

True, the Bills have a ton of cap room and don't need to make any moves unless there is/are significant bonuses to be paid. I just see Edwards as a marginal starter in the 3-4 and completely out of place in a 4-3, so no need to keep him regardless.

That is very generous of you. He is not serviceable at all. He is well below average in the 4-3 and has done nothing for the Bills over his entire career, but cost us plenty in both money and points against. You have blinders on to not realize that. It is sad we still have that guy on the team and blind fans supporting that.

Cutting him does not create any hole since the huge hole is actually, Kelsay himself.

Kelsay continuing to be on the Bills is a riddle wrapped in an enigma.

:doh:

IMO, that contract has the stink of Ralph all over it.

I wouldn't count Troup out so easily. He has been injured and a back injury is a big concern for a DT, but the guy

seems to be very dedicated to working out to improve and become a contributing player. He reportedly worked out

very hard last offseason to become bigger and stronger. If they have corrected his back problem, I am hopeful that

he can help this team.

I don't see cutting anyone on the line until we see what Troup and Williams can do. Williams is coming off a foot injury and Troup a back injury. Will they have a full recovery? I didn't consider either player to be so good where we can settle for 90 percent but we do need to see how they have improved before decisions are made. We need to get some better talent on the line via draft or FA as well. When our line was healthy last year we were still giving up to many yards.

I don't see cutting anyone on the line until we see what Troup and Williams can do. Williams is coming off a foot injury and Troup a back injury. Will they have a full recovery? I didn't consider either player to be so good where we can settle for 90 percent but we do need to see how they have improved before decisions are made. We need to get some better talent on the line via draft or FA as well. When our line was healthy last year we were still giving up to many yards.

A 90% Kyle Williams isnt good enough to make your team? Or did I read that wrong?

This year could be interesting. Around the NFL there are rumblings that a lot of veterans will soon be cut to save money - Peyton Manning, Hines Ward, Keith Brooking, Lee Evans, Jason Smith etc.

We have a good amount of cap space but I'm thinking that The Bills would be wise to unload some players given several factors salary, age, and current offensive/defensive philosophies. Here are my picks:

Dwan Edwards - a very average player but one that is best suited in a 3-4 defense. With our team switching to a 4-3, I don't think there's a spot of Dwan.

Spencer Johnson - Spencer is getting up there in years and his productivity seems to be on the decline. We would be wise to dump him and replace him with a younger player ready to contribute.

Bryan Scott - We resigned Scott last year but he saw limited time. With D'Norris Searcy on the rise, it may be time to say goodbye to an otherwise very solid backup.

Chris Kelsay - Sorry but I have never really been thrilled with Kelsay. He just does not produce for what we pay him. I would have cut him last year as well. Hoping we pull the trigger this year.

Shawne Merriman - I know some people will argue this one, but it's clear that Merriman has lost it. He's a shell of the player he once was and is out of place in a 4-3.

I know some loyal fans in here disagree with these picks, but this is what I would do if I were running the team.

I don't see anyone being cut unless we are in a situation where we absolutely need to free up money for some FA. Everyone should be given an opportunity to compete in camp. They will determine what the best position is for each player and put them there in camp. Some will surprise, most will disappoint and they will be cut very early in camp just to give them an opportunity to catch on with another team. You don't want to let any good player go that can contribute. Edwards and Johnson will probably be 43 DT. Byron Scott could convert to olb. Kelsay goes back to his natural position and Merriman is DE in 43 and olb in 34. Let them compete.

A 90% Kyle Williams isnt good enough to make your team? Or did I read that wrong?

Kyle is a high motor guy but not dominant, can he make the team at 90% yes, but I would be hesitant to cut others until I see what he has. Depth seems be an issue on the line.

Edited by VADC Bills

You do understand Johnson is a natural 4-3 DT with a pretty solid career as a backup to one of the best DT tandems in the last decade - Pat and Kevin Williams. He's not going to start over Kyle and Marcell either, obviously, but he's excellent depth there.

He was very solid for the Bills in that role too. Why in heck they thought a DT would work out well moving to OLB is beyond understanding, other than it says something for why the Bills fired their DC.

Please explain "excellent depth" if you would.

The Bills have had onw of the worst D's in the league for two years now, and Spencer is a backup on the unit.

:unsure:

He did start 11 games last year, so maybe he IS an excellent backup? Not sure.

Edited by SoCal-Surf

Please explain "excellent depth" if you would.

The Bills have had onw of the worst D's in the league for two years now, and Spencer is a backup on the unit.

:unsure:

He did start 11 games last year, so maybe he IS an excellent backup? Not sure.

Let's follow your logic:

Kyle Williams has been a starter on "one of the worst defenses in the league" for several years now. We should cut him, because obviously he is no good since the defense has been bad when he's been on the field.

I did explain it, but I can repeat myself - why not.

He was the #3 man in the rotation in Minnesota behind Pat Williams and Kevin Williams - regarded as the top DT unit in the legue at the time.

He's a decent 3-4 end. As a OLB he's a joke, but the real joke was the Bills' DC last year, and/or anyone else on the staff who thought playing a DT as an OLB made sense.

He's no star - he's a very good backup DT.

And replace them with who exactly?? Other teams' "solid backups" and other "up there in age" or "lost it" guys? Lets keep as much of the talent as we have that is under contract and build on it. Have them compete in July and then choose who stays and who goes.

Exactly.

I'm not in favor of cutting anyone at all unless we're replacing them with a superior player.

I'm particularly not in favor of cutting anyone to "free up cap space" if it's cap space that's not gonna be used.

IF they cut some marginally useful but proportionately overpaid players in order to make room to sign a significant free agent, I would be on board with that.

I also don't like any of the possible available free agents named in the OP.

The Bills are about 1.3 trillion dollars under the cap. How in the hell can you justify any of these players as "salary cap casualties"?!

I don't understand some of you people. All the ridiculous cuts listed in this thread are going to accomplish exactly two things.

1- Make the Bills a much weaker football team

2- Put some money in Ralph Wilson's pocket

If those are your primary goals, then by all means cut Kelsay and Edwards and Johnson and Scott and whoever else you want to in order to keep the Bills 30 millions dollars under the cap. But if you're more interested in winning actual football games than playing cool math games, you keep these guys on board and add to them via the draft and some of the tens of millions of dollars you already have in cap space.

Why anybody would want to weaken the Bills just to enrich a significantly wealthy owner is simply beyond my ken as a football fan.

Let's follow your logic:

Kyle Williams has been a starter on "one of the worst defenses in the league" for several years now. We should cut him, because obviously he is no good since the defense has been bad when he's been on the field.

I did explain it, but I can repeat myself - why not.

He was the #3 man in the rotation in Minnesota behind Pat Williams and Kevin Williams - regarded as the top DT unit in the legue at the time.

He's a decent 3-4 end. As a OLB he's a joke, but the real joke was the Bills' DC last year, and/or anyone else on the staff who thought playing a DT as an OLB made sense.

He's no star - he's a very good backup DT.

I'm not sure I would apply logic to a discussion re: D line depth.

Kyle Williams is pretty much acknowledged to be one the best players on the Bills. I wouldn't start comparing him to S. Johnson.

So, how much do you pay for a 3o year old backup D lineman on a bad defense. If they can get him cheap, then why not I guess. Teams do need backups. I would rather get some young guys in there to

compete for the positions and develop.

Edited by SoCal-Surf