Have I Mentioned Recently How Much I Hate Bicyclists?

Chef Jim

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very old thread,

let me ask

ever wonder how much a bicyclists hate idiot drivers too?

been there on both sides.

IMO its much worse when drivers don't pay attention to any 2 wheeled vehicles.

Devil's advocate here:

Yes. So what. We are moving away from a win-win society. The vehicles shouldering the bill do not care about the stinking bikes and what planet they are saving. Fuel burning vehicles shoulder more of the burden for why the roads even exist... Why should fuel burning vehicles share the road? What are bicycles and other forms of higher fuel efficiency vehicles doing to pay into the system? The system didn't magically happen with out funding, how is it going to be maintained, bettered, expanded if too many do not pay in? Then we all want to "share the road." Offer up a better system for funding roads, bridges and like infrastructure.

Again... Just playing devil's advocate. The above mentioned ideas do not necessarily represent what this poster believes. :-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

very old thread,

let me ask

I think it's a lot easier for a bike rider to appreciate and respect a vehicle then vice versa. I do not know of anyone who has just driven a bike and not a vehicle (that is over the age of 18, at least). That bicyclists call them cagers and refer to them as being all macho in their cage shows their own ignorance. I drive a big pickup truck often and I am still mindful of semi trucks because I know they'll flatten me. I also watch out for little cars because they like to brake in front of me. It goes both ways and bicyclists need to learn to share the road as much as "cagers."

Devil's advocate here:

Yes. So what. We are moving away from a win-win society. The vehicles shouldering the bill do not care about the stinking bikes and what planet they are saving. Fuel burning vehicles shoulder more of the burden for why the roads even exist... Why should fuel burning vehicles share the road? What are bicycles and other forms of higher fuel efficiency vehicles doing to pay into the system? The system didn't magically happen with out funding, how is it going to be maintained, bettered, expanded if too many do not pay in? Then we all want to "share the road." Offer up a better system for funding roads, bridges and like infrastructure.

Again... Just playing devil's advocate. The above mentioned ideas do not necessarily represent what this poster believes. :-)

I own two fuel burning vehicles can I also enjoy my bicycle?

very old thread,

let me ask

Probably no more than I, as a driver, hate idiot drivers.

Idiot cyclists are worse, though. Idiot drivers at least know they're operating a vehicle. Idiot cyclists act like vehicles or pedestrians as the mood suits, making them twice as unpredictable and reckless.

Probably no more than I, as a driver, hate idiot drivers.

Idiot cyclists are worse, though. Idiot drivers at least know they're operating a vehicle. Idiot cyclists act like vehicles or pedestrians as the mood suits, making them twice as unpredictable and reckless.

They really are idiots. I can't count the number of times I've seen a biker make some sort of crazy move right in front of me and you can tell that they're thinking "don't worry, the car will swerve or stop". Even if by some chance they are in the right with one of these moves, how on earth is it worth the risk? I've got a crosswalk in front of my office where cars routinely run red lights (and not just a light that just turned from yellow to red, they just flat out ignore a light that has been red for 40 seconds). Even though I have the right of way as a pedestrian when that walk signal is blinking, I'm ridiculously cautious on that crosswalk each day. The driver may be wrong, but I still lose that collision badly any time it happens.

I think it's a lot easier for a bike rider to appreciate and respect a vehicle then vice versa. I do not know of anyone who has just driven a bike and not a vehicle (that is over the age of 18, at least). That bicyclists call them cagers and refer to them as being all macho in their cage shows their own ignorance. I drive a big pickup truck often and I am still mindful of semi trucks because I know they'll flatten me. I also watch out for little cars because they like to brake in front of me. It goes both ways and bicyclists need to learn to share the road as much as "cagers."

Idiots are idiots. To use Ron Whites words "You can't fix stupid"

You don't know anyone over 18 that rides a bike? WOW. May I ask ... How old you are?

I used to ride a bike to work when convenient. There's nothing wrong with a good 7 to 10 mile ride. And NO I didn't do it for the environment. I did it to burn off the winter bulge.

Also In the NOVA region you can make it to work riding on bike 7 mi on the W&OD faster that in a car. 20 min biking vs 30 to 45 min driving.

You don't know anyone over 18 that rides a bike? WOW. May I ask ... How old you are?

I used to ride a bike to work when convenient. There's nothing wrong with a good 7 to 10 mile ride. And NO I didn't do it for the environment. I did it to burn off the winter bulge.

Also In the NOVA region you can make it to work riding on bike 7 mi on the W&OD faster that in a car. 20 min biking vs 30 to 45 min driving.

I am 32. I meant that bike exclusively. I think if you have what is considered to be a road bike you should have to do something ti prove you're not an idiot. Riding 3 wide on a country road in a blind turn you deserve to be mounted on the front of a diesel truck. Knowing where is safe to ride and how to ride safely is a big component of what separates idiots from the pack. Of course riding on a country road is great and refreshing. I'd rather bicycles do this then leather mafia bikers. Those are loud and obnoxious. Bicycles are just obnoxious.

I am 32. I meant that bike exclusively. I think if you have what is considered to be a road bike you should have to do something ti prove you're not an idiot. Riding 3 wide on a country road in a blind turn you deserve to be mounted on the front of a diesel truck. Knowing where is safe to ride and how to ride safely is a big component of what separates idiots from the pack. Of course riding on a country road is great and refreshing. I'd rather bicycles do this then leather mafia bikers. Those are loud and obnoxious. Bicycles are just obnoxious.

I had to ride 2 miles to get the the trail.

And sometimes riding on a 2 lane country road with no passing lanes in a 55 MPH zone is as BIG of a pain in the ass to cars because they HOG the damn road.

I've got 2 cars and a couple of bikes as well. I pay my fair share via state income and fuel tax.

So you think. You are probably not. Notice I lumped bikes in with extremely fuel efficient vehicles. What kinda of fuel economy do you get w/those cars? You are probably doing MORE damage to the roads and paying less on top of it! See what I am saying... That vehicle getting extremely good fuel economy is tearing up the roads the same if not more than a vehicle getting 15 mpg.

So, depending on your vehicle's fuel economy, you may need to use your bicycles less.. Great when a small % of people using the roads take advantage of the system by using bicycles and fuel efficient vehicles... No so great when those numbers begin to destroy the system (in favor of "saving the earth"... whatever that means), we are going to have to find funding somewhere else. And... Who wants to pay when "everybody out there is saving money!"

"Saving the earth" comes @ a price too. It is hard have roads and bridges when everybody is saving money AND the earth.

And sometimes riding on a 2 lane country road with no passing lanes in a 55 MPH zone is as BIG of a pain in the ass to cars because they HOG the damn road.

And rightly so... They own the road... It is theirs, they should have priority. They are paying more @ the moment.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

cars are meant for the road, designed to operate there safely and pay for the right to do so.

There are no bike lanes in the country. There are no sidewalks either. In the city I do often see bicyclist operating on the sidewalks and causing havok on pedestrians. Its not a bicyclists world. Its just that way. But whether you're in the right to do so or not doesn't mean you should put yourself in danger because cars are the ones who don't respect bicyclists. Its like playing chicken with a train. You may get lucky but you'll never wkn

cars are meant for the road, designed to operate there safely and pay for the right to do so.

There are no bike lanes in the country. There are no sidewalks either. In the city I do often see bicyclist operating on the sidewalks and causing havok on pedestrians. Its not a bicyclists world. Its just that way. But whether you're in the right to do so or not doesn't mean you should put yourself in danger because cars are the ones who don't respect bicyclists. Its like playing chicken with a train. You may get lucky but you'll never wkn

I think it's a lot easier for a bike rider to appreciate and respect a vehicle then vice versa. I do not know of anyone who has just driven a bike and not a vehicle (that is over the age of 18, at least). . . .

You don't know anyone over 18 that rides a bike? WOW. May I ask ... How old you are? . . .

I love me some Ron White, but am I the only one who sees the irony here?

For the uninitiated:

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

I do not know of anyone who has just driven a bike and not a vehicle (that is over the age of 18, at least).

I know one. She's mid to late 20's. I even offered her to drive my car one time and she wouldn't, because she doesn't have a license and has never "learned" to drive.

thanks to Lance Armstrong, there are legions of bicyclists here in Austin, both the hipster type and the spandex-clad, Armstrong wannabes.

and now they're all up in arms over joggers in the bicycle lanes. since cyclists are always hogging the roads here, I find the irony of that to be especially sweet.