My 1st round pick is

Yes....he can rush the passer

Yes....he has very good size for that DE spot in the 4-3

But you want to know what impressed me in my film watch of him? Ball awareness......he almost always knew where the ball was and was not just arin iound it.....but was the one sticking his nose in there making the tackle.

Melvin is my pick

The guy made a ton of game changing plays at South Carolina, and I too hope he is the pick. I do not however, think he will be available. Most mocks right now have him going later than 10, but that will change. I predict he will get selected by the Jaguars.

I get the same feeling. Let's hope Gene Smith and Mularkey are more concerned with improving Gabbert and draft a WR for him instead.

I get the same feeling. Let's hope Gene Smith and Mularkey are more concerned with improving Gabbert and draft a WR for him instead.

Thats what they should do. Not saying Gabert could be great or anything, but he does have the worst Receiving core in the NFL.

But you want to know what impressed me in my film watch of him? Ball awareness......he almost always knew where the ball was and was not just arin iound it.....but was the one sticking his nose in there making the tackle.

Melvin is my pick

He is my favorite too.

Upshaw is not going to be the pick (IMO), he is a very good 3-4 OLB and will go to a team that will use him that way. He is NOT a 4-3 DE.

Couples will probably be gone, and I'm not sold on him anyway.

Mercilus seems too risky to take at 10. Also, despite his stats, he didn't look overly impressive on the field.

A good WR, CB or OT could be an option here as well, but Ingram seems to be the best pass rushing option for the Bills in a very poor pass rusher draft. He should still be there at 10.

Would be happy with him, the rest of the first round DEs not so much.

Also my thoughts...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Would be happy with him, the rest of the first round DEs not so much.

Agreed. I like him more than Coples, and definitely more than Mercilus. Im still a fan of Upshaw because I think, no matter where he goes or what scheme he plays in, he is a good football player and will be a good football player.

The problem is, I dont think Ingram makes it to 10.

But I would be happy with him or Upshaw as the pick.

Thats what they should do. Not saying Gabert could be great or anything, but he does have the worst Receiving core in the NFL.

Absolutely.

The QB situations of the teams that draft ahead of the Bills will factor into whether Ingram falls to them as well. I'm also curious as to where Richardson will go. I know he's a top 10 talent, but I'm not sure how many teams are still comfortable taking a RB that high anymore. I could easily see a RB needy team (Tampa?) still pass on him for a defensive player. They'd probably take a CB or DT if they go that route however.

Absolutely.

The QB situations of the teams that draft ahead of the Bills will factor into whether Ingram falls to them as well. I'm also curious as to where Richardson will go. I know he's a top 10 talent, but I'm not sure how many teams are still comfortable taking a RB that high anymore. I could easily see a RB needy team (Tampa?) still pass on him for a defensive player. They'd probably take a CB or DT if they go that route however.

I know it wont happen because Buddy doesnt trade down but... There have been rumblings of Cincy trying to trade up for Richardson. They currently own #17 and #21 and could offer their second round pick as well as 17 to move up or the Bills could give their second round pick (with 10) and get 17 and 21. I would prefer getting 17 and 21 out of those two scenarios. With those picks the Bills could prob grab Mercilus and Floyd/ot prospect. Which would be a great first day of the draft imo.

edit: I would also like to add that I think Upshaw will see a little bit of a decline in his projections due to size/speed concerns. He could also be a possibility at 17 if he made it past the Jets. If the Bills could pull Mercilus at 21 and Upshaw at 17 well... someone would have to wake me because its just a pipe dream but still a good one to have!

Edited by section122

I know it wont happen because Buddy doesnt trade down but... There have been rumblings of Cincy trying to trade up for Richardson. They currently own #17 and #21 and could offer their second round pick as well as 17 to move up or the Bills could give their second round pick (with 10) and get 17 and 21. I would prefer getting 17 and 21 out of those two scenarios. With those picks the Bills could prob grab Mercilus and Floyd/ot prospect. Which would be a great first day of the draft imo.

edit: I would also like to add that I think Upshaw will see a little bit of a decline in his projections due to size/speed concerns. He could also be a possibility at 17 if he made it past the Jets. If the Bills could pull Mercilus at 21 and Upshaw at 17 well... someone would have to wake me because its just a pipe dream but still a good one to have!

here is the draft value chart on those two scenarios, the bills 10th overall (1300) for cincy's 17th overall (950) and their 21st pick in 2nd round (370). or....buffalo's 1st (1300) and 2nd round pick (490) for cincys two 1st's ( 950 & 800).

here is the draft value chart on those two scenarios, the bills 10th overall (1300) for cincy's 17th overall (950) and their 21st pick in 2nd round (370). or....buffalo's 1st (1300) and 2nd round pick (490) for cincys two 1st's ( 950 & 800).

Give 2 to get 2 no i think we need to go with what we got , we need to get more for our pick sure we are getting 2 firsts but the player selection this year especially at DE isn't that great & there are only a few good not great pass rushers & to take Mercilus i think there at 17 although a better value at 17 still scares me especially after the Maybin experiment !!

Even if Buffalo traded down, I don't think that Mercilius would be the pick. Nix has said over and over that he does not draft 1 year wonders early in the draft. Let's face it though, the bills will pick at the 10 slot with about 9:30 left on the clock. Hopefully with Ingram as the selection.

Just saw the text chat with Doug Whaley on bb.com and this question was brought up.

Comment From ASmith

What is your opinion on 'one year wonders'....although they put up good numbers their Jr. season?? a la Whitney Mercilus

10:43

Doug Whaley:

You'd like to see the production over time, but you don't discount one-year wonders because there are a lot of circumstances that could go into that. So you do your research and you have to feel comfortable with the skill set that they bring to the table.

this is a year i prefer the Bills to stay where they are at #10. this draft has about a dozen really good players, whoever is there at #10 will be a beauty. i wouldn't mind doing one of those trade our 2nd & 3rd round picks to move up into late 1st round.

Give 2 to get 2 no i think we need to go with what we got , we need to get more for our pick sure we are getting 2 firsts but the player selection this year especially at DE isn't that great & there are only a few good not great pass rushers & to take Mercilus i think there at 17 although a better value at 17 still scares me especially after the Maybin experiment !!

I understand these fears because of the 1 year wonder and big ten ties however they are 2 completely different players. Maybin was tiny and had run d as a known weakness. Mercilus does not have these issues. The only consistent knock I have seen on him (from scouts) is the 1 year wonder concern. The numbers are absolutely incredible though... 9 ff, 16 sacks, 22.5 tfl and he is 6'4" 265!

I understand these fears because of the 1 year wonder and big ten ties however they are 2 completely different players. Maybin was tiny and had run d as a known weakness. Mercilus does not have these issues. The only consistent knock I have seen on him (from scouts) is the 1 year wonder concern. The numbers are absolutely incredible though... 9 ff, 16 sacks, 22.5 tfl and he is 6'4" 265!

If they take Mercilus instead of Ingram I'll have that same sick feeling I had when they took Whitner instead of Ngata and when they took Maybin over Orakpo.

But, alas I think the Dolphis are going to scoop Ingram up @ #8 me thinks :angry:

If we re-sign Bell, then I'd be ecstatic if we trade down. If Bell is not re-signed, how can you pass up Reiff or Martin?

I haven't seen enough of Mercilus yet to get a full opinion. I saw some of his games and I've seen the youtube stuff. I am interested in how he tests for explosiveness, etc.. in addition to his production.

But you are right, IMO. In every draft some player slips because of a comparison to a previous player or because of the perceived level of competition and then that player turns into a beast and everyone wonders why that guy lasted so long on draft day. Mercilus has production. He has those, long pass rushers arms and he has size and strength. He isn't an ectomorph like Maybin, his biceps look like a couple of bowling balls. He is also either one of the luckiest SOB's around or he has a rare knack for finding the football and getting his hands on it. It's all projections, but on terms of physical ability alone I don't see how Aaron Maybin was a more impressive prospect. That's not to say the Maybin pick was justified, but this ain't exactly an overwhelming DE class.

Melvin is my pick

I like Ingram. He is a good, tough, instinctive football player. My thought has been that he could end up being a really good 4-3 OLB. Not a transcendent player, but like an Adalius Thomas maybe. Thomas had long arms, but I mean in terms of playing away from the LOS.

My concern is definitely his arm length. It is important, IMO. I know that some people try to discount it, but it's pretty rare to find a pass rusher his size with arms that short. The comparison has been made to Dwight Freeney, but Freeney is shorter and his arms are a little longer. His height and ability to get low and "run the arc" definitely tests the reach of good OT's regardless of what his arm length indicates.

Ingram is way out of proportion for a pass rusher and what it reminds me of is my disappointment with the development of Cornelius Bennett as a pass rusher.

Bennett was a really rare athlete, he was avery agile, quick twitch athlete, good sized LB with sub 4.5 speed. He was NOT a great pass rusher though.

He got off to a great start as a rookie, but very soon, offensive tackles learned that Bennett couldn't engage and shed a block to get to the QB. His average arm length made him relativley easy to tie up. He subsequently ended up taking wider, mostly unsuccessful angles to the QB.

His failure to turn into the next Lawrence Taylor was perceived by some as a lack of effort, but the reality was that he was not ideally built for that job. Enter Bryce Paup. Not nearly the athlete that Bennett was, Paup's vine like arms helped the Bills realize the potential of the position opposite Bruce Smith.

Bennett was moved inside that season, where he played his best football as a Bill, IMO. Bennett was best suited playing sideline to sideline. My concern is that Ingram is NOT going to be a good pass rushing DE or OLB. I saw him get engulfed in the senior bowl and had some flashbacks to Biscuit not being able to consistently defeat his man in the pass rush. Ingram is bigger and not the athlete that Biscuit was but I see similarities in the ability to disengage as an every down pass rusher.

I think he could be a very good player and be able to get pressure by virtue of blitzing or matching up with interior lineman, etc.., but I don't think that he is the consistent edge pass rusher the Bills are seeking. And is he the the type of 4-3 LB you take with the 10th pick in a draft? I like his chances there, but it is definitely a projection at the pro level.