netflix sleeper movies, series

birdog1960

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reminder about Restrepo...keep meaning to watch that one.

BTW, couple nice additions to streaming....Margin Call, which I found pretty entertaining even though it wasn't a critical success....and Warrior with Tom Hardy, a film I enjoyed quite a bit. Also, i haven't seen it yet, but Albert Nobbs with Glenn Close also has been added.

I have to give Netflix credit...I crapped on them pretty hard when they basically forced me to cancel their mail service and go elsewhere for new releases....but they have really added some nice titles as of late. I still think they went about it the wrong way, but for $8 a month the streaming service has really become a steal.

Thanks, I just added a few of those....the Iverson one, the USFL one, and the Gretzky one all look really good.

Thanks, I just added a few of those....the Iverson one, the USFL one, and the Gretzky one all look really good.

I saw very few of these, but the USFL episode was great.

I also really enjoyed the episode about the Baltimore Colts marching band, the episode on Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder, and the episode entitled "The Real Rocky" about Chuck Wepner's career after he fought Muhammad Ali.

I saw very few of these, but the USFL episode was great.

I also really enjoyed the episode about the Baltimore Colts marching band, the episode on Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder, and the episode entitled "The Real Rocky" about Chuck Wepner's career after he fought Muhammad Ali.

didn't even see those...thanks!

Another solid addition to Netflix is Captain America in case I forgot to mention it. They seem to have quite a few of the latest Marvel films on streaming...both Iron Mans, Thor, and Capt America.

didn't even see those...thanks!

i think they added pretty much all of the 30 for 30 - and ive yet to see a really bad episode.

a nice perk is even those not interested in sports can typically enjoy the stories told (if watching with the wife for instance).

i think they added pretty much all of the 30 for 30 - and ive yet to see a really bad episode.

a nice perk is even those not interested in sports can typically enjoy the stories told (if watching with the wife for instance).

I watched the Steve Bartman one and the one on Rotisserie baseball last night. Both were very good.

I watched the Steve Bartman one and the one on Rotisserie baseball last night. Both were very good.

run ricky run (or whatever the title) is well done

liked bartman a lot

the allen iverson one was really interesting - i really wasnt familiar with his HS arrest incident

marcus dupree was really interesting - seeing him play high school ball was unreal. just amazing. other worldly and looked like an nfl player at 16 playing with kids. hed get to the endzone and have broken 6 tackles and have a 30 yard buffer between him and the closest defender. it was like watching someone play tecmo on nintendo with bo jackson

the tyson and tupac one was a side to the story i didnt know

just a ton of great content. i could go on and on, but those come to mind first. many other good ones ive caught in passing on espn.

Edited by NoSaint

There's one on Marcus Dupree? I need to see that one. I still remember reading the Sports Ilustrated issue about him back in the 80s...talking about how he had so much talent, but he couldn't even spell his name.

BTW, for those looking for an excellent choice on those fri/sat nights when you're a bit boozed up and looking for some laughs, Monty Python's Meaning of Life was just added to streaming. :thumbsup:

There's one on Marcus Dupree? I need to see that one. I still remember reading the Sports Ilustrated issue about him back in the 80s...talking about how he had so much talent, but he couldn't even spell his name.

BTW, for those looking for an excellent choice on those fri/sat nights when you're a bit boozed up and looking for some laughs, Monty Python's Meaning of Life was just added to streaming. :thumbsup:

i think its called the best that never was, or something along those lines. its amazing how much bigger and faster he was than EVERYONE on the field in his high school film. i cant think of ever seeing one like that. it literally looked like a cartoon - he just did whatever he wanted. like an adult playing in a pop warner league.

i think its called the best that never was, or something along those lines. its amazing how much bigger and faster he was than EVERYONE on the field in his high school film. i cant think of ever seeing one like that. it literally looked like a cartoon - he just did whatever he wanted. like an adult playing in a pop warner league.

Found it, thanks...I love how at the www.instantwatcher.com site I can just link my netflix acct and then queue it right from there.

It's not on Netflix yet, but I just saw a movie that was entertaining as hell....Mel Gibson's "Get the Gringo". I don't know why this didn't get wider exposure, but it's a great ride. I just used a rental coupon and streamed it off Amazon...really worth a viewing.

It's hardly a "sleeper", but Cheers is on Netflix last I checked. I just watched season 1 on Amazon...and damn, what a good show that was. I'd forgotten how good all of the performances were, particularly Shelly Long's.

It's really interesting to go back and watch those from an adult perspective. I was in my teens when the show was on the first time around, so kinda fun to rediscover it.

Watched an indy flick tonight called "Boy Wonder". If anyone sees this, please let me know what you thought of the ending (be mindful of spoiler alerts)...this had one of the best 2nd halves that I've seen in a while. Just a tad slow in the first half, but I definitely recommend it if you like a vigilante justice sort of plot. (No, it's not a super hero flick.)

Hey, just a shoutout to say thanks for the recommendation. I really liked the movie especially because it ......

left the ending with a moral dilemma. Throughout most of the movie, I found myself supporting the kid in his vigilante mode. But ultimately, when the movie ends with proof that the dad was innocent in his mother's death, it raises so many questions. The obvious one is that he killed his father for a crime he did not commit. The father is definitely out to right his wrongs (wife and kid beatings, drinking...) Secondly, a psychological one in that if the kid had received help earlier one, would he have been able to move on and not be the cynic of due process ? Thirdly, it raises points subtely about law and enforcement. In some cases, he was right to off the people who got off for obvious crimes. But in the case of his father, he was wrong. Does that still justify his dispensing justice earlier ? Anyway these are just a few thoughts. Nice movie

I do notice that titles seem to disappear at times...and other times movies that I never heard of just magically appear....very odd. I got rid of my Netflix mail service. Right now I'm a "stream only" type of person between Netflix and Vudu.

You can usually just scan quickly down the queue and see in the notes column a date listed in red for when the title will be removed from streaming. As for why movies are added to your queue, no idea. Does Lana have your login in info?

It's hardly a "sleeper", but Cheers is on Netflix last I checked. I just watched season 1 on Amazon...and damn, what a good show that was. I'd forgotten how good all of the performances were, particularly Shelly Long's.

As much as I enjoyed Cheers, I was not a big fan of Shelly Long's character.

Hey, just a shoutout to say thanks for the recommendation. I really liked the movie especially because it ......

left the ending with a moral dilemma. Throughout most of the movie, I found myself supporting the kid in his vigilante mode. But ultimately, when the movie ends with proof that the dad was innocent in his mother's death, it raises so many questions. The obvious one is that he killed his father for a crime he did not commit. The father is definitely out to right his wrongs (wife and kid beatings, drinking...) Secondly, a psychological one in that if the kid had received help earlier one, would he have been able to move on and not be the cynic of due process ? Thirdly, it raises points subtely about law and enforcement. In some cases, he was right to off the people who got off for obvious crimes. But in the case of his father, he was wrong. Does that still justify his dispensing justice earlier ? Anyway these are just a few thoughts. Nice movie

Nice, glad you liked it! What you wrote in the spoiler tags was a big reason why I enjoyed the film...I used to really get frustrated with endings like that, but this one pulled it off in a manner that really prompted discussion. One of my favorite indy films of the last couple years for sure.

You can usually just scan quickly down the queue and see in the notes column a date listed in red for when the title will be removed from streaming. As for why movies are added to your queue, no idea. Does Lana have your login in info?

Don't think she does, but you never know with Lana...she's very sneaky in addition to her gas.

As much as I enjoyed Cheers, I was not a big fan of Shelly Long's character.

Doesn't mean the performance was bad, just your taste. :P

I can understand not liking that character, actually. In reruns, at least, I found the character, if not likable, at least entertaining, as I knew women like that in college, and Diane Chambers is a hilarious and entirely believable extrapolation.

Damn, that last sentence needs more commas...

Doesn't mean the performance was bad, just your taste. :P

I can understand not liking that character, actually. In reruns, at least, I found the character, if not likable, at least entertaining, as I knew women like that in college, and Diane Chambers is a hilarious and entirely believable extrapolation.

Damn, that last sentence needs more commas...

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

One thing I will say, is that Shelly Long leaving "Cheers" may have been the worst career move, since McLean Stevenson left "M*A*S*H".

I know it's been brought up before in this thread, but for those new and looking for something to watch on Netflix, Sherlock is excellent. I stumbled on it last weekend and watch all three 90 minute episodes in one sitting. I just bought season 2 and am blocking off all of Sunday night to watch it.

I know it's been brought up before in this thread, but for those new and looking for something to watch on Netflix, Sherlock is excellent. I stumbled on it last weekend and watch all three 90 minute episodes in one sitting. I just bought season 2 and am blocking off all of Sunday night to watch it.

Fully agree. Sherlock and Luther are two series that are terrific.

cashback is an excellent source for GREAT boobies. not a bad movie, either! :thumbsup:

agreed,except uconn might revoke your man card for using the word "boobies".and i've got a bone to pick with whoever recommended "rescue me". i liked it but my wife really, really liked it. other than the news, we watched it almost exclusively for several weeks. 6 seasons? really? the italian crazy mistress got really annoying about 1/2 way through.

I need to echo one of Vader's excellent recommendations...last night he suggested I watch "Day Night, Day Night". I really hadn't planned to see it until this weekend, but thought I'd watch about half of it before bed and finish if the next day. Well, I ended up being pretty into it, and the last 30 minutes were absolutely riveting. There is very little dialogue, and the first half of the film is not for those who only feast on popcorn flicks or films with lots of shiny objects to focus on. It's basically an art film, so adjust your expectations accordingly. IMO it's a very solid, fascinating piece and as Vader suggested to me before I watched it, it offers up a lot to talk about post-viewing.

Watched "Mozart's Sister" (2011) after seeing it on Roger Ebert's daily streamer list a while back.

Gotta say that Marie Feret is a really, really pretty girl. (Not saying this in that way, just to be sure.) For those who appreciate costume drama and historic settings, this doesn't disappoint.

Great call. Really enjoyed it. If it has subtitles and doesn't seem worth it, i give up quick. not with this. Feminist theme was convincingly presented. The link is out. Is Marie Feret Mozart's sister? If so, I thought she was striking....my wife disagreed.

agreed,except uconn might revoke your man card for using the word "boobies".and i've got a bone to pick with whoever recommended "rescue me". i liked it but my wife really, really liked it. other than the news, we watched it almost exclusively for several weeks. 6 seasons? really? the italian crazy mistress got really annoying about 1/2 way through.

:huh: Why would I do that? I like boobies as much as anyone. Or more!

The Brits are coming out with some really great miniseries. To be fair, Rebecca Eaton at PBS is contributing a fair amount into them as well. Moffet is really great at creating these yarns (he's also show-running Doctor Who, which reminds me that I need to start rewatching before the premiere next month) and I just loved how Andrew Scott played Moriarty.

I need to echo one of Vader's excellent recommendations...last night he suggested I watch "Day Night, Day Night". I really hadn't planned to see it until this weekend, but thought I'd watch about half of it before bed and finish if the next day. Well, I ended up being pretty into it, and the last 30 minutes were absolutely riveting. There is very little dialogue, and the first half of the film is not for those who only feast on popcorn flicks or films with lots of shiny objects to focus on. It's basically an art film, so adjust your expectations accordingly. IMO it's a very solid, fascinating piece and as Vader suggested to me before I watched it, it offers up a lot to talk about post-viewing.

You pretty much nailed it, aj. This is an art movie with a riveting performance by Luisa Williams, and the movie does stay with you when you are finished with it.

Because of it's artsy feel I can understand why some people will be turned off by it. Definitely not for everyone. However if you have more patience you will find yourself intrigued by this film.

I wouldn't buy "Day Night Day Night" because it was a movie I did not love, but I appreciated it's intensity and it does keep you guessing. Definitely a movie that you can have a good discussion about.

You pretty much nailed it, aj. This is an art movie with a riveting performance by Luisa Williams, and the movie does stay with you when you are finished with it.

Because of it's artsy feel I can understand why some people will be turned off by it. Definitely not for everyone. However if you have more patience you will find yourself intrigued by this film.

I wouldn't buy "Day Night Day Night" because it was a movie I did not love, but I appreciated it's intensity and it does keep you guessing. Definitely a movie that you can have a good discussion about.

Absolutely...I love that we have films like this to watch...it's a shame that some people either wouldn't make it past the first half, or wouldn't give it a chance to begin with. It's pretty rare that I re-watch movies, so like you I wouldn't buy it either. There's just too much out there to see, I don't often prefer to re-watch something...unless it was just so dense and cerebral that a 2nd viewing can yield a greater understanding or greater enjoyment.

I don't know if this is one that would typically make it on to your indy film list for the month, but at the very least it's a good example of why I appreciate that you take the time to do it.

• 1 month later...

I don't often prefer to re-watch something...unless it was just so dense and cerebral that a 2nd viewing can yield a greater understanding or greater enjoyment.

the best example of a movie like this that i can think of is "primer", a sci fi, time travel movie that gets more complicated the more i see it or ponder it. reportedly made for $7000, it's well worth seeing. unfortunately and surprisingly not on netflix. sorry. still felt it was worth mentioning.

the best example of a movie like this that i can think of is "primer", a sci fi, time travel movie that gets more complicated the more i see it or ponder it. reportedly made for $7000, it's well worth seeing. unfortunately and surprisingly not on netflix. sorry. still felt it was worth mentioning.

Yep, good example...I know there are a few of us who really enjoyed that one.

I'll say it before you dorks say it for me. I'm a total chick for liking "Downton Abbey."

Of course it's not a sleeper, since it's won so many awards -- but it's at least worth a shot for those of you who have been hesitant.

I'll say it before you dorks say it for me. I'm a total chick for liking "Downton Abbey."

Of course it's not a sleeper, since it's won so many awards -- but it's at least worth a shot for those of you who have been hesitant.

My wife loved that show. I found it extremely boring.... When the war started, I thought it might get better, but it didn't...