netflix sleeper movies, series

birdog1960

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if cute european girls are your thing check out "before sunrise" on netflix. ethan hawke is irritating to the point of slapping but julie delpy is undeniably attractive.

Good call...I really enjoyed both that film and the sequel. Just really cool to see a dialogue driven film where the main characters are taking in the european scenery...both solid films and I agree about Delpy. She's still looking pretty good, actually.

Two good suggestions...Amelie was really good. Audrey Tautau (sp?) is a very attractive lady.

"Amelie" is not available on Netflix streaming. Doesn't bother me, as I bought it on DVD. That was a movie where you were just smiling throughout... at a time when everybody needed to smile. Loved the character of the 'glass man' artist and he spoke slowly and clearly enough for me to follow (with out captions) with my high school French. The lead was originally supposed to go to Emily Watson <shudder down James' spine> but she was committed to "Gosford Park". (Which is another nice little movie in its own right and available on streaming, last I checked.)

"Midnight in Paris"... well, I did a little pre-Oscar write-up on my blog, but I'll paste it here:

● "Midnight in Paris" is one of those movies whose fantastic cover art, concept and wonderful atmosphere / scenery / cinematography are besmirched when it adds in the people actually playing the parts. I have to admit to not being an Owen Wilson fan because every character he plays is fundamentally the same. Many of the other actors have nice resumes and yet this piece didn't come together in that area. They came across in the dialogue as stuffy and pretentious and revoltingly stereotypical --- these are not firsts for a Woody Allen film. This had a lot of Romantic and nostalgic potential and it struck out swinging for me. (Don't get me wrong. There's a lot of films out there that strike out not swinging.)

I saw Castaway on the Moon the other night based on the recommendation here. Good movie and worth watching. Even my sister-in-law got sucked into it and she normally doesn't like my types of films. I wish more foreign movies had as large and clear subtitles as this one.

You watched 2 minutes of Angel, a show that was a spinoff of another show (Buffy), and decided, "Don't like this...?" :unsure: From a writing standpoint, it's one of the best shows that's ever been on television.

If you (or anyone) hasn't already seen Firefly, then you should watch that streaming on Netflix. Best TV show, ever. But don't get too attached since Fox doesn't know what to do with a good television show.

I agree. Great interesting show.

You can judge acting, production, and dialog in two minutes? :D Angel was written by the same team that did FIrefly.

Another suggestion -- Archer is awesome. I know season 1 is on Netflix, don't know if season 2 is there yet or not. I find it hilarious. :) Season 3 is on FX now.

Agreed, archer is quite funny. not as funny as Wonder Showzen, Simpsons, Futurama or South park...But a little funnier than Family Guy

There is a pretty good Canadian TV series from 2005 or so that I think is on Netflix streaming called "Intelligence". It was taken off the air after two seasons with some alleged controversy concerning the government. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would, and watched most of it back-to-back-to-back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_%28TV_series%29

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I just watched all three parts of the "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" series. The Swedish ones, not the blah American redub, as I've seen it called by many viewers. (Netflix just added Extended Edition versions as well.)

Wow!!! is all I can say.

I just watched all three parts of the "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" series. The Swedish ones, not the blah American redub, as I've seen it called by many viewers. (Netflix just added Extended Edition versions as well.)

Wow!!! is all I can say.

Yeppers the Swedish version is pretty damn good ain't it?

Wow!!! is all I can say.

Very nice...I'm really interested in seeing them, as well. Are they subtitled or dubbed over?

Also, if you guys want to see a realy, um, "different" documentary, check out "I Think We're Alone Now". It's about two guys who are totally infatuated/borerline stalkers of Tiffany, the pop star from the 80s. I really don't know what to say about it, other than it held my interest. Just something you don't see every day, let's leave it at that :)

Also saw Rampage, as was suggested by another TBD'er...was pretty good, especially considering it's a Uwe Boll film lol.

Agreed, archer is quite funny. not as funny as Wonder Showzen, Simpsons, Futurama or South park...But a little funnier than Family Guy

Man, I think Archer is friggin hilarious. Way better than the others you listed (at least currently...those others are long past their prime).

And season two just got added to Netflix.

I just watched all three parts of the "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" series. The Swedish ones, not the blah American redub, as I've seen it called by many viewers.

I haven't seen any of them yet, so I'm not saying this isn't true, but any time there is an original movie, and as it seems lately especially a foreign made movie, once the American version comes out there is an outcry about how it doesn't stand up. It's just another version of iPhone vs Droid; Microsoft vs Apple, etc...I've heard from a few friends that the American version was really good.

Sooner or later I'd like to watch them all since I've heard so much good about all of them.

Edited by Faustus

After having been turned off by the concept when they first announced it, I've gotta say that I enjoyed "Sherlock" a lot. The guy who plays Jim Moriarty in the last ep is a great character.

But yes, Brit teevee is doing it a lot better than American. We're heavily into cops, lawyers, family/friend comedy and reality and pretty much anything else just drowns. I can't explain for the life of me how people can watch multiple iterations of the same exact theme of crime and punishment, comedy centered around sex and sarcasm, and "talent" shows. They are such cheap problem-solution narrative and mindless entertain-me-with-cover-song crap. The few good series on today are on cable. If you're not watching "Breaking Bad" something is seriously wrong with you.

At least the Brits try things. I didn't know Doc Martin was on streaming; it's airing on one of my local PBSs, and it's watchable enough, but week-to-week is just not how I like to watch shows. I'm also hooked on Doctor Who (Netflix has the first 5 seasons of the resurrected run).

I just started watching "Breaking Bad" on Netflix and I'm hooked! Great show! I started watching BB yesterday and I'm already in Season 2, Episode 2. I highly recommend this one.

I just started watching "Breaking Bad" on Netflix and I'm hooked! Great show! I started watching BB yesterday and I'm already in Season 2, Episode 2. I highly recommend this one.

We have a whole group on here who are BB addicts. There's a huge thread on it somewhere, but you may want to be careful about not getting ahead of where you're at with your viewing. Quite a few of us consider it the best show on TV, so you're in for a real treat. :thumbsup:

Wow!!! is all I can say.

Thanks for the heads up about the extended editions...looks like people on Netflix are saying it's the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

will check this out also. never heard of Starblazers but will have to take a look. i don't know why i seem to like the british tv series more often than us series (maybe because they're often actually aimed at adults?). need something to replace "downton abbey" which finished its season last night.

We recently discovered this one and just finished season one. Very good show, love the historical context. And Lady Mary!

Then I have five words for you: Star Blazers live action movie.

I've seen clips of the 2011 Japanese release...doesn't look too bad. Better than The Phantom Blemish, at least.

Great horny toads. I was a huge Star Blazers fan growing up. I had no idea a live action was being made. The Japanese version looks pretty cool.

Restrepo - documentary about beginning of war in afghanistan, follows an army unit as they set up outposts in the hills of afghanistan....one of the most powerful films ive ever seen, highly recommend..

Really was sucked in by this movie. I thought I was the only one that saw it. Good choice.

For me I'm becoming a real fan of Ji-Woon Kim's movies. imho opinion one of the great directors today. Watched The Good, The Bad, The Weird this weekend on Netflix this and enjoyed it so much I ordered the blu ray version. I'm skeptical of action movies generally because of formalized plots, cliched characters and crappy cgi. This one had none of that and lots of action coupled with a quirky sense of humor. The guys who play Clint's, Eli's and Lee Van Cleefs parts all do a good job. Especially the fella who plays Wallach's part. Great movie and great fun. Also some crazy over the top violence which enhances the fun. What I'm starting to appreciate about Kim is his versatility. The three movies I've seen recently "I saw The Devil", "Tale Of Two Sisters" are all different genre's and they all have different feels to them.

Edited by Dante