netflix sleeper movies, series

birdog1960

I love all of the Film Movement" titles Listed here http://bit.ly/g6ViCH (a lot of them are on Netflix)

My favorite is "THE BOTHERSOME MAN"

A different twist of a French thriller "MONSIEUR HIRE" with Sandrine Bonnaire

"JUST ANOTHER LOVE STORY" is another overlooked thriller.

Lastly, a fairly popular fillm you might not have seen is "FUNNY GAMES" excellent thriller from Michael Haneke.

just watched "the bothersome man". really enjoyed it...thought provoking. thanks! now enjoying episode 2 of "rescue me". thinking we're not gonna make it out tonight. leaning heavy on the end of the week.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched an indy flick tonight called "Boy Wonder". If anyone sees this, please let me know what you thought of the ending (be mindful of spoiler alerts)...this had one of the best 2nd halves that I've seen in a while. Just a tad slow in the first half, but I definitely recommend it if you like a vigilante justice sort of plot. (No, it's not a super hero flick.)

• 3 weeks later...

Watched an indy flick tonight called "Boy Wonder". If anyone sees this, please let me know what you thought of the ending (be mindful of spoiler alerts)...this had one of the best 2nd halves that I've seen in a while. Just a tad slow in the first half, but I definitely recommend it if you like a vigilante justice sort of plot. (No, it's not a super hero flick.)

Watched this last week, thought it was pretty good, but can't say I was too surprised by the ending. Not that it wasn't good, but for some reason I saw it coming. Much better acting throughout than I was expecting. Not sure about the female cop though (outside of being hot). Can't figure out whether she pulled off a tough character or just overacted a simple character. Other than that, I thought everyone was spot on (her partner, the kid, even the retiring drunk cop in the bar). Most of the characters could have (even should have) been cheesy, but they ended up being more realistic than I would have thought. I'd say the fight scenes fall under that description as well.

Just watched Cherry. Never heard of it but it ended up being pretty good. Comes up under Independent Comedies in Netflix, but I wouldn't have classified it a comedy. More of a coming of age drama I guess, and really it's as good as it could be given that classification (in other words, not a great film, but I enjoyed it).

Watched this last week, thought it was pretty good, but can't say I was too surprised by the ending. Not that it wasn't good, but for some reason I saw it coming. Much better acting throughout than I was expecting. Not sure about the female cop though (outside of being hot). Can't figure out whether she pulled off a tough character or just overacted a simple character. Other than that, I thought everyone was spot on (her partner, the kid, even the retiring drunk cop in the bar). Most of the characters could have (even should have) been cheesy, but they ended up being more realistic than I would have thought. I'd say the fight scenes fall under that description as well.

Just watched Cherry. Never heard of it but it ended up being pretty good. Comes up under Independent Comedies in Netflix, but I wouldn't have classified it a comedy. More of a coming of age drama I guess, and really it's as good as it could be given that classification (in other words, not a great film, but I enjoyed it).

Endings always make for interesting discussion when it comes to how I approach movies. I have a lot of friends - and I'm assuming you fall into this category - who tend to look ahead when watching a movie, trying to figure out the ending or anticipate certain plot developments before they happen. When I watch a movie I never do that for some reason. I've always just sort of allowed the movie to unfold scene by scene without trying to do that, and so I will often be more affected by an ending than others may tend to be. One of the most common criticisms of movies is that they are "predictable", but that's a term I'll almost never use because of the way I approach it.

BTW, someone mentioned the documentary "Senna" earlier in the thread...I just watched it yesterday and it's a definite thumbs up. I didn't really know much about this guy at all so it was a very interesting film to me.

I agree. It takes a while to wind up, but its worth the wait. The ending was a total mind F.

I agree. It takes a while to wind up, but its worth the wait. The ending was a total mind F.

Glad you liked it...the ending really had me contemplating the events of the film with regard to what was known and not known prior to his actions. I really enjoy the smaller indy films like that that don't focus on big name actors and all sorts of special effects...it's all about the story and the characters.

Watched "Mozart's Sister" (2011) after seeing it on Roger Ebert's daily streamer list a while back.

Gotta say that Marie Feret is a really, really pretty girl. (Not saying this in that way, just to be sure.) For those who appreciate costume drama and historic settings, this doesn't disappoint.

I don't care for period dramas much, but I'm fascinated by Mozart. Not sure I know much about his sister, but Mozart is the man!

Just so you guys know, the PRETENDER best picture from '99, the POSER that didn't deserve it...Shakespeare in Love, just came out on streaming. On top of that, though, one of the two pics that SHOULD have won, and my favorite film of all time, Life is Beautiful, just came out as well.

Clearly, Life is Beautiful and Saving Private Ryan were both superior to Shakespeare, and the most incriminating evidence that the academy voters don't ever watch the films :thumbdown:

Just so you guys know, the PRETENDER best picture from '99, the POSER that didn't deserve it...Shakespeare in Love, just came out on streaming. On top of that, though, one of the two pics that SHOULD have won, and my favorite film of all time, Life is Beautiful, just came out as well.

Clearly, Life is Beautiful and Saving Private Ryan were both superior to Shakespeare, and the most incriminating evidence that the academy voters don't ever watch the films :thumbdown:

Amen to that!

Actually the academy voters do watch the movies, it's just that Harvey Weinstein gives out more expensive gifts to the voters than any of the other studio moguls.

The other travesty that year was Gwyneth Paltrow winning best actress for "Shakespeare In Love" over Cate Blanchett for "Elizabeth".

Edited by Mark Vader

I just watched a trailer from this movie and I will have to give it a look.

I saw a good one last weekend called The Pact. Although it's not on Netflix, it's available on Zune(Xbox Live) to see before it comes to the theater. Great little ghost story.

Amen to that!

Actually the academy voters do watch the movies, it's just that Harvey Weinsteing gives out more expensive gifts to the voters than any of the other studio moguls.

The other travesty that year was Gwyneth Paltrow winning best actress for "Shakespeare In Love" over Cate Blanchett for "Elizabeth".

I usually don't get all that into who wins and loses, but that year was an embarrassment! Great point about Blanchett...I totally forgot she lost to Paltrow...I didn't even really want to see Elizabeth, but I went to the theater to help my brother screen his copies the night before the release and I was really impressed by it. Excellent film and fantastic acting!

• 1 month later...

Saw a good one last night...almost rented this off Vudu a couple weeks ago, so was happy to see it find its way to Netflix streaming. Would have been worth the $3.99 anyway, but free is always better.

Anyway, check out Willem Dafoe in "The Hunter".

Submarine is fairly good. It's a dialogue driven coming-of-age movie set in Wales and feels a bit like a Wes Anderson flick. If you pay attention there are some great lines. Unfortunately, my attention span has been fractured by technology and I found myself constantly rewinding. There were several excellent performances including the lead character/narrator and his father who was played by that British guy from that movie with Tom Cruise.

Edited by Thisistheyear

Submarine is fairly good. It's a dialogue driven coming-of-age movie set in Wales and feels a bit like a Wes Anderson flick. If you pay attention there are some great lines. Unfortunately, my attention span has been fractured by technology and I found myself constantly rewinding. There were several excellent performances including the lead character/narrator and his father who was played by that British guy from that movie with Tom Cruise.

Cool, I've had that one sitting in my queue but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Cool, I've had that one sitting in my queue but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

Just a reminder to check your queue once a week. I've got over 100 movies in mine, and notice from time to time Netflix will put up removal date for streaming on some movies, usually with only 1 weeks notice. They may still be available via mail though.

Just a reminder to check your queue once a week. I've got over 100 movies in mine, and notice from time to time Netflix will put up removal date for streaming on some movies, usually with only 1 weeks notice. They may still be available via mail though.

I do notice that titles seem to disappear at times...and other times movies that I never heard of just magically appear....very odd. I got rid of my Netflix mail service. Right now I'm a "stream only" type of person between Netflix and Vudu.