Tackling the "we need a LT" myth

D2K

I agree with you my friend. Fitzie just does not have the physical tools to be a good starting QB in the NFL. His accuracy and arm strength are not NFL caliber. It is as simple as that. He has grit and smarts. But that does not beat good NFL defenses, and will not beat mediocre defenses a lot of the time as well.

I agree that our O line was very solid last year. Easily good enuf to make the playoffs, even with the injuries. Our defense needs work, certainly at pass rush. But Fitzie will need to be a whole lot better if this team is going to contend for the playoffs.

Fitzpatrick is not great, but he is the best option available. I suggest sticking with him until something better becomes available, instead of just going with something more popular. The line is getting better, but isn't where it needs to be.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not gonna continue my debate on this topic anymore because I have made my arguments and stand behind them.

What I should address is the ending to your post. For that, I must apologize. I dont try to come off as "rude and negative" and I certainly dont want the moniker of "troll" or any other adjective that can be thrown together.

We are all Bills fans first and foremost, and I must admit that 12 solid years of bottom feeding becomes more then tiresome and eats at my overly passionate soul. Please accept my apology, and that is for ANYONE that I have offended.

First of all thanks to a thoroughly entertaining thread. I was watching a bit from the sidelines and seeing you and PDaddy go at each other with great delight.

Anyway, more seriously, IMHO the failure of the offense is neither of the extremes you two are fighting about. My opinion:

- Fitz is no more than a caretaker, a short gap solution till we get a QB worthy of winning us the big one. So, yes, I dont think Fitz is good enough to win it all but I don't think he is an incompetent moron either (none of you said that)

- I think the edges of our OL are weak. Hairston may be a solution but probably at the RT spot and not LT where some athleticism is required. Bell played well in his limited time and that is his basic problem - his inability to finish 16 games has played out far too frequently and we need a replacement. Bell can be good depth

- We badly need receiving threats. Fitz's performance tanked when most of our already limited WR corps went down. Even when he had some time to throw, there were few options. And the lack of deep passes is a function of both Fitz's inaccuracy (which ggoes down the farther he has to throw) and lack of somebody who can get downfield in the 3-4 seconds that Fitz had to throw). Should sign Stevie and give him a solid #2. I do like David Nelson but only as a #3 or to convert 3rd downs. So we need 2 WRs - one as a #2 and one as a #4. I don't like Donald Jones.

As to the other side of the ball, the switch to the 4-3 is good. We need:

- at least 1 LB.

- Pass rushing DE

- One CB probably two as I don't think McGee will come back and McKelvin will be here no more than the length of his contract

In short, I think Fitz is good enough to be a middle of the pack QB. He needs things to be above average around him and he cannot seriously transcend the skill set around him. But, he is good enough to support a rebuilding team. We should acquire a potentially great QB, whenever he is available.

First of all thanks to a thoroughly entertaining thread. I was watching a bit from the sidelines and seeing you and PDaddy go at each other with great delight.

Anyway, more seriously, IMHO the failure of the offense is neither of the extremes you two are fighting about. My opinion:

- Fitz is no more than a caretaker, a short gap solution till we get a QB worthy of winning us the big one. So, yes, I dont think Fitz is good enough to win it all but I don't think he is an incompetent moron either (none of you said that)

- I think the edges of our OL are weak. Hairston may be a solution but probably at the RT spot and not LT where some athleticism is required. Bell played well in his limited time and that is his basic problem - his inability to finish 16 games has played out far too frequently and we need a replacement. Bell can be good depth

- We badly need receiving threats. Fitz's performance tanked when most of our already limited WR corps went down. Even when he had some time to throw, there were few options. And the lack of deep passes is a function of both Fitz's inaccuracy (which ggoes down the farther he has to throw) and lack of somebody who can get downfield in the 3-4 seconds that Fitz had to throw). Should sign Stevie and give him a solid #2. I do like David Nelson but only as a #3 or to convert 3rd downs. So we need 2 WRs - one as a #2 and one as a #4. I don't like Donald Jones.

- at least 1 LB.

- Pass rushing DE

- One CB probably two as I don't think McGee will come back and McKelvin will be here no more than the length of his contract

In short, I think Fitz is good enough to be a middle of the pack QB. He needs things to be above average around him and he cannot seriously transcend the skill set around him. But, he is good enough to support a rebuilding team. We should acquire a potentially great QB, whenever he is available.

Agree with you 100% about the edges of the O-line with Hairston and Pears vs a pass rush. I think Fitz is better than you give him credit for but excellent post otherwise IMO. :thumbsup:

- at least 1 LB.

- Pass rushing DE

Pretty good analysis. I agree with what your sating about OL men being unable to stay healthy. That really affects the offense. Don't know how some of these other OL men stay healthy for 12 years straight. Out guys cant put 10 games together.

(Note: I am a registered independent).

I agree that Fitz is not an elite QB.

I also agree, however, that Gailey's quick-hitting offensive scheme and Fitz's quick decision making made the sack/pressure statistics look better.

Assuming Fitz could throw deep, would you really feel comfortable throwing deep with that line? I wouldn't. And look at the lack of push on 3rd and short situations when we ran the ball. It's just not a dominant line. (Yes, Fredex and CJ both averaged over 5 yards per carry, but a lot of that was (1) good play calling and (2) runners making something out of nothing).

All in all, we have an okay line and okay QB. I wouldn't mind seeing upgrades both at LT and QB. But for now, both are serviceable. Bigger needs include DE and WR.

That is about where I come out on this. Fitz is surely not a great QB. IMHO, his quick decisions made the OL look better than it is. I think Fitz

deserves a lot of credit for leadership and quick throws, especially because he likely had a bottom-25% of the league receiving group. SJ is an OK

#1 WR, Nelson is an OK #3 WR, They really had no #2 or #4 receiver. Yes, Scott Chandler was a BIG upgrade over the recent TEs, but his reception

total was average at best and WAY behind the top TEs in the league. Rest assured that no defensive coordinator is awake all night wondering how

they will cover Chandler and Donald Jones...

The entire offense is a system - QB, OL, RBs, WRs and TEs. Play calling masked some weaknesses last year. IMHO, I see a need at LT and WR. They

could sure use another (better) TE and I wouldn't argue that they couldn't upgrade at QB. However, the question is: with limited draft picks and

not a lot of cash in FA (among the lowest revenue in the league), what is the most important place to upgrade?

I guess that I'd still have to come down on the side of pass rush for the defense - all things being equal. If there is no very good

pass rusher (DE or OLB), then I'd turn my attention to LT as there will be no decent QB prospect available. Still, a very top WR prospect

in round one could entice them and help immensely.

Fitzpatrick is not great, but he is the best option available. I suggest sticking with him until something better becomes available, instead of just going with something more popular. The line is getting better, but isn't where it needs to be.

This attitude of sticking with Fitz until something better comes along is fine as long as the front office makes a proactive attempt at getting "something better" in the form of aggressively going after the good QB's available in the draft. Really, that is about the only way of getting a franchise QB these days. Once every 4 or 5 years a franchise QB will come available in F.A., and if that were the case this year with Green Bay's Flynn?, then I'd say the Bills should also pursue him. My point is this - if the Bills aren't trying everything in their power to replace Fitz with a QB who is capable of winning consistently, then the Bills are merely saying they are content with Fitz. Think of the Big Teams - Green Bay, Pittsburg, Dallas, Washington, the Jets; these teams wouldn't just sit back and ride the Fitzpatrick wave. They'd be finding really good competition, or a replacement for him. Until the Bills act as if they are really expecting to win, they aren't going to just "find something better" like wins. You don't "just find" wins. You make it happen.

This attitude of sticking with Fitz until something better comes along is fine as long as the front office makes a proactive attempt at getting "something better" in the form of aggressively going after the good QB's available in the draft. Really, that is about the only way of getting a franchise QB these days. Once every 4 or 5 years a franchise QB will come available in F.A., and if that were the case this year with Green Bay's Flynn?, then I'd say the Bills should also pursue him. My point is this - if the Bills aren't trying everything in their power to replace Fitz with a QB who is capable of winning consistently, then the Bills are merely saying they are content with Fitz. Think of the Big Teams - Green Bay, Pittsburg, Dallas, Washington, the Jets; these teams wouldn't just sit back and ride the Fitzpatrick wave. They'd be finding really good competition, or a replacement for him. Until the Bills act as if they are really expecting to win, they aren't going to just "find something better" like wins. You don't "just find" wins. You make it happen.

With the new Rookie salaries, teams are much less likely to trade out of the top of the draft. It's easy to take risks on players and not lose too much.

That means we have two ways of getting in a position to draft an elite QB:

1. Lose enough to get the #1 overall pick

2. Trade your entire draft to move up

Given our 12 years of futility, AND the fact that we still have holes to fill in this build, which way do you prefer?

If it is lose out, then be ready to except it and not complain about what a bunch of losers this team is, since it's for the "greater good".

If it is trade your picks, how much would you be willing to give up to move from (lets say) #10 all the way to #1 or #2?

Also, did you just reference Washington as a successful team whose lead we should follow? AND Dallas? Dallas has exactly as many playoff wins since 1999 as the Bills. They seem content in riding the Romo wave to futility.

If it were that easy, everyone would do it. You have to do it in the context of building a team, otherwise the franchise QB turns into garbage.

- at least 1 LB.

- Pass rushing DE

All good points that not many here simply don't get.

First, both Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey have both openly stated that if Cam Newton had been available to the Bills last season at #3 they would have drafted him....OK! They realize that Fitz is a serviceable journeyman QB that can get the Bills to a winning season if he has enough talent around him. Even the Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson acknowledged this point.

I agree that the edges of the current O line are weak, not to mention that you can't win games with the starters not playing. the Bills need more stability at LT for certain. Bell has shown flashes that he can be a good LT, but he can't stay healthy. .. 31 out of 48 in 3 years. it remains to be seen if they will re sign him. The center position also has to be a worry, with Eric Wood in there the line played significantly better 10-14-9, 33 out of 48 in 3 years. The bills had no depth at LT or center and were in serious trouble when injuries hit those positions. That Bills line still has several questions to be answered this off season.

I can't emphasize enough how import it is to have more then one decent WR threat. Many in this thread were comparing Fitz to Eli and its such a lame comparison when the Giants had the #3 & #12 WR's. Stevie Johnson was #19, David Nelson was #61. In comparison the Patriots had Welker at #2 and Rob Gronkowski at #6. Then looking at the plays the Bills called all season long with those 4-5 WR sets and only having one decent WR....which made no sense to me.

P.S. "'He basically thinks that # of starts equates to performance. It doesn't."" I never made that statement. What I have been doing is complaining about the O line for years to anyone who would listen. I can understand making the trade with Jason Peters, i just don't understand not properly replacing him. What Ive been trying to say is for O line players "continuity" means a great deal. The thing is.... the longer an O line plays together the better they become, that is just a fact of football. Call it chemistry, cohesiveness, continuity or whatever you like. Its important in all aspects of a team it just seems more so for the O line to know and trust what the man next to you is going to do in every situation. One miss step, one wrong move and the QB is hit, sacked or even concussed and knocked out of the game. Its not just one on one in the trenches, your 5 gotta know what to do against their 5 or it could be game over very fast.

Most of this fan base just doesn't realize how lucky this team is to have a QB like Fitz who can get that ball out in under 3 seconds. It made this team competitive in many games this year. Is he a Payton Manning- Drew Brees-Eli Manning? I honestly don't know yet...and neither do all of the rest of you, and we won't know until he has a decent O line that allows him the time to throw 5-7 step drop back deep passes. A WR corps with more then one good player, and players that can actually catch the ball most of the time. a good TE that can play all 16 games

Couple things here: How can I be so "clearly" incorrect when he has never won more than the 6 games that he won this year? That is a fact. Injuries aside (because thats part of the game, see GB packers Super bowl season IR list) you cant project wins for him. I dont know how mentioning FACTS could have any relevance to my credibility?

You say poor defense with a bad pass rush, I say wrong scheme for the players on the field coupled with the OFFENSE leading the league in 3 and outs, which again doesnt allow for defensive adjustments and scheme adjustments on the fly. Granted we dont have a "pass rusher" to help this team get off of the field on 3rd down, but that helps make my point. I guess I should have titled this thread "Just say no to a LT in the first 3 rounds".

No sir - you have again made my point. Unless you somehow argue it is IMPOSSIBLE that the Bills could improve on their near-bottom-of-the-league pass rush while Fitz is the QB, your entire argument is near-mindless.

Your claim logically implies that they could not go even 7-9 with Fitz at QB - even if they improved their pass rush from worst in the league, AND Williams has recovered from his bone spur AND they added the 2nd stud WR Nix is claiming he going after AND they manaege to keep one of their OLT's healthy, AND...

For you to be correct, you are saying that everything else that went wrong with the team last year doesn't add up to a single lost game - NOT ONE GAME. According to you, why should they even bother finding a pass rusher?

Yes, your assertion is CLEARLY incorrect. Anyone with a functional mind can see it.

I'm not as down on Fitz as you, but I am as high on the OL as you. I'm giving him a one year reprieve based on the cracked rib factor. Have fun on here though because people like to disregard facts. The Buffalo Bills allowed the least sacks in the NFL, were 4th in YPC and 1st on YPC on 1st down. Yet literally more than half the people on here will tell you straight up that our OL downright sucks.

I think you have it wrong. The starting o line when healthy looked great. Wood, levitre, ubrik pears and bell plyed well. Hairston looked good too. With that line the bills were 4-2 with a close losses to cinci and the superbowl winners...

Levitre at center, hairsten in as a rook, wood out, bell in and out, well that hurt and it showed. If you watched the Miami game sucked was an understatement. They couldn't even get a clean effing snap.

Grabbing some stats to arrive at a contrived conclusion is a transparent exercise. u don't like fitz... Got it.

You know in November I was talking to a giants fan who had all the stats to support the argument Eli was a lousy qb... He's your gold standard. Also the year your gold standard qb, Eli won his first Superbowl his qb rating was 73.5. This years fitz was 79.1.

Not saying Fitz is winning a sb or is even the long term solution, but this season did nothing but show the guy can actually play good football at times and he can improve. Calling for his head is simply unfounded. He gritted out a rib injury and played alright. The kid earned another year at the helm, period.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I don't "hate" Fitz and I certainly don't hate the Bills. I am sure Fitz is an awesome guy. I just billieve that the playoff drought will be extended to years 13 and 14 with him as our starter and I will continue to voice that opinion until I am proved wrong.

As for hating on the organization, I think 12 years without a playoff berth warrants questions about the way they are run and the decisions they make, don't you think? Your thought process is to clap your hands, say "go team" and accept the mediocrity that has permeated the organization. My thought process is to critique the team and its players When they consistently achieve at an unacceptable level.

As I have stated numerous times, I will be the first to praise Fitz if he puts together a playoff year. I just don't see it happening, no matter how much I would like to.

Well I'm just saying I think Fitz deserves at least another year to prove himself. I am sorry if I come off rude but I just don't think any one player deserves all of the blame for a team not being able to be successful. I am also frustrated at the playoff drought and agree completely with you that we should question a lot of the decision making in the organization just based upon our 1st round draft picks before dareus. I just feel like either way we need to support the team even if there are players starting/on the roster that aren't as good as others and even if Fitz plays the absolute best he can and has a great year i am with the assumption that no matter what we will be looking for a younger more talented franchise qb in the future when the right one and opportunity come along.

All good points that not many here simply don't get.

First, both Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey have both openly stated that if Cam Newton had been available to the Bills last season at #3 they would have drafted him....OK! They realize that Fitz is a serviceable journeyman QB that can get the Bills to a winning season if he has enough talent around him. Even the Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson acknowledged this point.

I agree that the edges of the current O line are weak, not to mention that you can't win games with the starters not playing. the Bills need more stability at LT for certain. Bell has shown flashes that he can be a good LT, but he can't stay healthy. .. 31 out of 48 in 3 years. it remains to be seen if they will re sign him. The center position also has to be a worry, with Eric Wood in there the line played significantly better 10-14-9, 33 out of 48 in 3 years. The bills had no depth at LT or center and were in serious trouble when injuries hit those positions. That Bills line still has several questions to be answered this off season.

I can't emphasize enough how import it is to have more then one decent WR threat. Many in this thread were comparing Fitz to Eli and its such a lame comparison when the Giants had the #3 & #12 WR's. Stevie Johnson was #19, David Nelson was #61. In comparison the Patriots had Welker at #2 and Rob Gronkowski at #6. Then looking at the plays the Bills called all season long with those 4-5 WR sets and only having one decent WR....which made no sense to me.

P.S. "'He basically thinks that # of starts equates to performance. It doesn't."" I never made that statement. What I have been doing is complaining about the O line for years to anyone who would listen. I can understand making the trade with Jason Peters, i just don't understand not properly replacing him. What Ive been trying to say is for O line players "continuity" means a great deal. The thing is.... the longer an O line plays together the better they become, that is just a fact of football. Call it chemistry, cohesiveness, continuity or whatever you like. Its important in all aspects of a team it just seems more so for the O line to know and trust what the man next to you is going to do in every situation. One miss step, one wrong move and the QB is hit, sacked or even concussed and knocked out of the game. Its not just one on one in the trenches, your 5 gotta know what to do against their 5 or it could be game over very fast.

Most of this fan base just doesn't realize how lucky this team is to have a QB like Fitz who can get that ball out in under 3 seconds. It made this team competitive in many games this year. Is he a Payton Manning- Drew Brees-Eli Manning? I honestly don't know yet...and neither do all of the rest of you, and we won't know until he has a decent O line that allows him the time to throw 5-7 step drop back deep passes. A WR corps with more then one good player, and players that can actually catch the ball most of the time. a good TE that can play all 16 games

I think 32 teams would admit to taking cam if he was there for their pick... Did u catch his play this year?

Im not gonna continue my debate on this topic anymore because I have made my arguments and stand behind them.

What I should address is the ending to your post. For that, I must apologize. I dont try to come off as "rude and negative" and I certainly dont want the moniker of "troll" or any other adjective that can be thrown together.

We are all Bills fans first and foremost, and I must admit that 12 solid years of bottom feeding becomes more then tiresome and eats at my overly passionate soul. Please accept my apology, and that is for ANYONE that I have offended.

Sorry if I came off rude also bro. Basically everything I said to marauder is also intended for you. I think we are all just in need of a playoff season lol. Winning will give us all a lot of positive things to talk about. I feel Fitz has one more deserved year to prove himself with hopefully a couple more weapons and more health. If he fails then we can put this all to bed but either way I think OBD will take the franchise qb when that opportunity comes along. For now though I think we have many holes that need to be patched up a little bit as a whole. Just MO

I think 32 teams would admit to taking cam if he was there for their pick... Did u catch his play this year?

Yea, NOW they would! :lol:

Not so many before the draft were that high on Newton. Don't forget he was graded as the 10th best player. ESPN had him at 15th

It was Nevergiveup who stated the Bills would go after Newton before the draft. Nix and Gailey only mentioned it just after the draft from what i recall.

With the new Rookie salaries, teams are much less likely to trade out of the top of the draft. It's easy to take risks on players and not lose too much.

Given our 12 years of futility, AND the fact that we still have holes to fill in this build, which way do you prefer?

If it is lose out, then be ready to except it and not complain about what a bunch of losers this team is, since it's for the "greater good".

If it is trade your picks, how much would you be willing to give up to move from (lets say) #10 all the way to #1 or #2?

Also, did you just reference Washington as a successful team whose lead we should follow? AND Dallas? Dallas has exactly as many playoff wins since 1999 as the Bills. They seem content in riding the Romo wave to futility.

Chan already tried to tank a season to get their franchise QB

when you are 0-8, it takes some effort but they are so dysfunctional, they screwed that up too

they wanted Newton and figured that Luck would come out and #3 would be high enough

they got too cute AGAIN, and missed out when Cam went #1

It's hard to lose them all in the NFL

Edited by spartacus

when you are 0-8, it takes some effort but they are so dysfunctional, they screwed that up too

they wanted Newton and figured that Luck would come out and #3 would be high enough

Not only that, then they got screwed again this year when both Matt Barkely AND Landry Jones decided to return to college for another year.

Luck would have gone to Carolina, the owner there had him in his sights 100%. Then he actually got on the phone with Luck to ask if the reason he decided to return for another year at Stanford was because the Panthers had the first pick.

The Panthers were very iffy about Newton at first.

P.S. I recently read an article that the Buffalo Bills FO -HC- scouting dept- is not very secretive about what players they covet the most in the draft. Might be a reason why they lose out on players like Cam Newton, Von Miller and others

Good point. And everyone should keep in mind, when Butler, Smith, and Nix went to San Diego and started the rebuild process, they had high picks their first 2 years, then had a mid-round pick the 3rd year, and then in their FOURTH year had the #1 overall pick which they used to draft a QB (Manning/Rivers).

Since then, San Diego has been a perennial winner with a solid core. Not saying I want another losing season. Nor do I believe they are trying to lose. Just warning fans not to jump off any bridges...

There ya go asking the Fitz haters to provide a real world solution for his replacement. And their answer is....ANNNNNNN......BIG NOTHING! How about we support the guy who proved when the team was healthy he is good enough, is being paid like our QB for at least the next few years and has the absolute full support of the front office and the coaching staff?

I know, I know. Novel concept suggesting actually supporting the team as a fan and a player that is obviously not going anywhere for a while is a ludicrous idea!

Edited by PDaDdy