Why are we talking about free agency?

XXL Franchize

There's so many posts about what FA's we need to get. As I disagree with many of them I feel these discussions are pointless. I would be surprised if we signed more that 1 FA starter. The Bills may not be where we want them to be but a decent foundation is in place and we will need to draft smart to get to the next level. I agree that free agency can sometimes put teams over the hump but they are always teams that have a strong foundation to begin with.

So who do you think we are looking at at #10? Everyone says Upshaw

A. Free agency is before the draft

B. Maybe naive, but some of us think the F.O realizes that this next season is kind of a turning point. Need a couple proven starters to maybe make the Bills legit playoff contenders.

We shall see, but in the mean time it is fun to think about how much better your team would be with certain players added.

And since the bills are something i follow for fun, i do not need to be a realest about it.

well if they sign a legit WR in free agency like Robert Meachem they wont have to address that position high in the draft

obviously i would like Colston or Bowe but Meachem is a more realistic option for the Bills

and maybe if they pickup a CB they wont have to draft one in the second or third rounds

A. Free agency is before the draft

This. Also you can't accurately mock the draft until after the combine. For example: at this time last year, Fairley and Bowers were the consensus first 2 defensive picks off the board (in the top 5 overall no less).

There's so many posts about what FA's we need to get. As I disagree with many of them I feel these discussions are pointless. I would be surprised if we signed more that 1 FA starter. The Bills may not be where we want them to be but a decent foundation is in place and we will need to draft smart to get to the next level. I agree that free agency can sometimes put teams over the hump but they are always teams that have a strong foundation to begin with.

We're talking bout free agency because free agency comes before the draft smart guy.

Well, in part this question has already been answered...but what is also interesting is that in Nix's first year, it was ummm....his first year, with many administrative positions needing to be changed but not having the time to change them, he did the best he could with what he had, and then last year with the work stoppage and all the problems with getting teams ON the field, let alone working out FA deals, he had a shortened off-season for FA (to say the least) and this year we showed some real promise with primarily existing players on the roster and the draft picks, Nick Barnett was a big "get" as he obviously played well in the 3-4 and will now be a starter in the 4-3 so that shows his versatility...now this year is the first year where Nix's administrative men are in place and a full off-season can be had, along with having two full seasons to see the team at work and how those seasons have evolved and unfolded....so, this FA period is something new to Nix and to us BILLS fans, so yes, I'm excited and yes I'm anxious to see what can/will be done...AND, this is important, this is the FIRST TIME IN A LONG TIME a GM for the BILLS actually said, "Here's what we need..." and listed a few positions needing to be addressed and stated they would be "aggressive" in FA; that does NOT mean they will sign VJax or Bowe or Mario Williams, but it DOES mean they will be proactive in addressing the team deficiencies in BOTH FA and the Draft, per Nix....and he's too far along to completely lose the confidence of the fan base by saying one thing and doing another.....and please, go to hell with the "Ralph is cheap" comments, let's all grow up, forgive and forget and move on toward the future, or just stay the f*ck away from this message board, cry in your beer, spank the monkey for another team and leave us fans the HELL ALONE!!!

Okay....rant over...we may now return to normal programming.....ANDDDDDD, cut to negativity - now!

Well, in part this question has already been answered...but what is also interesting is that in Nix's first year, it was ummm....his first year, with many administrative positions needing to be changed but not having the time to change them, he did the best he could with what he had, and then last year with the work stoppage and all the problems with getting teams ON the field, let alone working out FA deals, he had a shortened off-season for FA (to say the least) and this year we showed some real promise with primarily existing players on the roster and the draft picks, Nick Barnett was a big "get" as he obviously played well in the 3-4 and will now be a starter in the 4-3 so that shows his versatility...now this year is the first year where Nix's administrative men are in place and a full off-season can be had, along with having two full seasons to see the team at work and how those seasons have evolved and unfolded....so, this FA period is something new to Nix and to us BILLS fans, so yes, I'm excited and yes I'm anxious to see what can/will be done...AND, this is important, this is the FIRST TIME IN A LONG TIME a GM for the BILLS actually said, "Here's what we need..." and listed a few positions needing to be addressed and stated they would be "aggressive" in FA; that does NOT mean they will sign VJax or Bowe or Mario Williams, but it DOES mean they will be proactive in addressing the team deficiencies in BOTH FA and the Draft, per Nix....and he's too far along to completely lose the confidence of the fan base by saying one thing and doing another.....and please, go to hell with the "Ralph is cheap" comments, let's all grow up, forgive and forget and move on toward the future, or just stay the f*ck away from this message board, cry in your beer, spank the monkey for another team and leave us fans the HELL ALONE!!!

Okay....rant over...we may now return to normal programming.....ANDDDDDD, cut to negativity - now!

:worthy::thumbsup: That was awesome and I agree!!!!!

didn't Meachem just become a definite maybe FA? This is a good fit. This is crazy time and some good fun to ponder and react. The interview with Routt has me enthusiastic. it seems we made a good impression, although he is wise to keep shopping. but maybe.

This IS the time for hope and due diligence. All the old hardened guys might bring us down but heck they know the drill.

Us younger fans can see some light with the new gang. I bet we Will get a pass rusher or two from the draft and a WR and a CB heck we have 9 picks, and we gotta hit on a couple like we did last year. go Bills.

Because pre free agency is the highlight of the Bills season. They suck during the season, dont get exciting free agents during free agency and draft poorly. So by gosh, I will enjoy dreaming about how great it would if we actually signed Mario Williams, VJ, SJ and a couple more guys.

Because pre free agency is the highlight of the Bills season. They suck during the season, dont get exciting free agents during free agency and draft poorly. So by gosh, I will enjoy dreaming about how great it would if we actually signed Mario Williams, VJ, SJ and a couple more guys.

The Bills also like this time as well.

they can pump up the fan base with much talk about chasing premium free agents -without spending any money on actually signing any one with any talent.

expect many rumors from Chris Brown and other "insiders" about the Bills mancrush on Vjax, Mario Williams, Reggie Wayne, etc.

too bad they will be outbid and will have to settle for more practice squad rejects from the PAckers

they can pump up the fan base with much talk about chasing premium free agents -without spending any money on actually signing any one with any talent.

expect many rumors from Chris Brown and other "insiders" about the Bills mancrush on Vjax, Mario Williams, Reggie Wayne, etc.

too bad they will be outbid and will have to settle for more practice squad rejects from the PAckers

Like the anonymous announcement from the team that they were willing to spend 10 million on a coach and even spoke with Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan....then hired Chan Gailey

Although some people in the front office actually try and do things to help, its just to bad that their myopic view is so distorted that when they do spend money in free agency it doesn't work. Signing T.O. for big bucks for example, he wasn't really worth the money spent in regards to his effort on the field, and that really wasn't his fault either as he came to Buffalo thinking he could accomplish something. Its the same thing for Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe, DeSean Jackson or Mike Wallace who all the fans are clamoring for. The Bills need to upgrade that O line, and should they fail to do that for a 3rd straight year they will continue to keep their position at or near the bottom of the division. The T.O. experiment failed because the QB's didn't have the time in the pocket to always get the ball to the man.

LT Bell showed promise when he managed to get on the field this year, but the problem is that wasn't very often as he was injured so much. Once center Eric Wood went on IR the team really went into the ceramic convenience as the Bills had no adequate backup center. The Bills had problems with the O line for the second year under this regime. They keep trying to use scotch tape and band-aids on one of the most important areas of the team.

I Think they pick Ingram 6'2" 271, who could be the bigger version of Elvis Dumervil (which shows how small yet productive he is, 5'11" 260 52.5 sacks)

That is so true. I dont know whether to laugh or cry about it.

I just love how many "league sources" pop up during the offseason.

This. Also you can't accurately mock the draft until after the combine. For example: at this time last year, Fairley and Bowers were the consensus first 2 defensive picks off the board (in the top 5 overall no less).

+1. I remember Cam Jordan being thrown around too in the top 5. Last year taught me a lot about the draft in not to worry about it until at least after the combine.

PRECISELY. I know we need something to talk about, but I gotta be honest, the guys on here that lay out the entire draft, like who they think the Bills are gonna take in the 7th round, are a little loony if you ask me. And then there are the "HA! LOL! Thank you Carolina for taking Cam Newton! ROTFLMAO! What a bunch of idiots! What a bunch of freaks!" people. Those are my favorite. Just take it in stride. Unless of course, they take a safety in the first round that they could've gotten in the third round. Then you have legitimate reason to vent.