WalterFootball.com on Coples and Ingram

Cheddar's Dad

WalterFootball.com has Coples going to Miami @ #8 due to the Dolfhins' move to a 43. He would be a complement to Cameron Wake as a pass rusher. However, Walter adds the following Caveat Emptor; "the effort was not there when he was a senior, and the only times he looked good in the Senior Bowl was when he was matched against guards Kelechi Osemele and Senio Kelemte. Tackles Mike Adams and Mitchell Schwartz completely stonewalled him. I wouldn't touch him with a top 12 pick, but there's no doubt that he'll likely be picked in the top 10".

Walter has Buffalo selecting Melvin Ingram stating "Gailey has recently harped about not being able to get the quarterback". "Melvin Ingram is currently the top pass rusher available in the wake of dominant Senior Bowl practices. He's a bit short for a 43 scheme (6'1") and has arms like twigs, but he has elite explosion. The Bills are officially sticking with the 43, so he makes more sense than Courtney Upshaw.

Incidently; Walter has Upshaw going to the Jets at #16 due to the fact the Jets play the 34.

I know there are readers of this site that love Coples and Upshaw. Is there anyone out there that would like to offer a cogent comment?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WalterFootball.com has Coples going to Miami @ #8 due to the Dolfhins' move to a 43. He would be a complement to Cameron Wake as a pass rusher. However, Walter adds the following Caveat Emptor; "the effort was not there when he was a senior, and the only times he looked good in the Senior Bowl was when he was matched against guards Kelechi Osemele and Senio Kelemte. Tackles Mike Adams and Mitchell Schwartz completely stonewalled him. I wouldn't touch him with a top 12 pick, but there's no doubt that he'll likely be picked in the top 10".

Walter has Buffalo selecting Melvin Ingram stating "Gailey has recently harped about not being able to get the quarterback". "Melvin Ingram is currently the top pass rusher available in the wake of dominant Senior Bowl practices. He's a bit short for a 43 scheme (6'1") and has arms like twigs, but he has elite explosion. The Bills are officially sticking with the 43, so he makes more sense than Courtney Upshaw.

Incidently; Walter has Upshaw going to the Jets at #16 due to the fact the Jets play the 34.

I know there are readers of this site that love Coples and Upshaw. Is there anyone out there that would like to offer a cogent comment?

About accurate on all fronts

?

to me.

What does "arms like twigs" mean?

If I had the choice between the two, Melvin Ingram.

Ingram is an exceptional athlete and a strong one at that. He was on the "hands" team, ran some plays on offense, and is impressively strong. He moved all over the place in the defense and made plays. He's not the run stuffer that Coples is, but he's the better pass rusher.

Plus, the man has character beyond reproach. Can't say the same about Coples.

It would appear that Ingram would be an ideal fit at this juncture. Long way to the draft. Things can change.

I'm not really crazy about the idea of a 6'1" DE. The arms like twigs statement doesn't warm my heart either. The comment about his explosiveness brings me memories of Maybin.

Google "Melvin Ingram" and select images. I don't see arms like twigs. And 6'1" never seemed to matter to Freeney and Dumervil. I'm not saying he is in their class, but these statements from "Walter" do not concern me a bit.

I'm not really crazy about the idea of a 6'1" DE. The arms like twigs statement doesn't warm my heart either. The comment about his explosiveness brings me memories of Maybin.

Ingram's 2" shorter and 35 lb heavier than Maybin.

Plus Maybin had 6 sacks & 4 FF in spot duty last year. George Edwards didn't know how to use him.

What does "arms like twigs" mean?

His arms are short, same as upshaw, and that concerns me as to his every down ability as a down lineman. I think both will be better off at OLB in the pros. I certainly wouldn't describe them as twigs however.

Google "Melvin Ingram" and select images. I don't see arms like twigs. And 6'1" never seemed to matter to Freeney and Dumervil. I'm not saying he is in their class, but these statements from "Walter" do not concern me a bit.

They just mean he has notably short arms for a DE his size. About 3-4 inches shorter than what you look for in a pass rusher. Freeney and Brandon Graham are cited as shorter pass rushers without "great" arm length. But both have about 33' arms. Ingram has 31" arm length.

They just mean he has notably short arms for a DE his size. About 3-4 inches shorter than what you look for in a pass rusher. Freeney and Brandon Graham are cited as shorter pass rushers without "great" arm length. But both have about 33' arms. Ingram has 31" arm length.

Ahhh. Thanks. 31" is more alligator than twig. But it is short. But Ingram has found a way to use that 31" with great success. So what do you do...follow the measuring tape or follow the video tape?

Edited by JPS

Ahhh. Thanks. 31" is more alligator than twig. But it is short. But Ingram has found a way to use that 31" with great success. So what do you do...follow the measuring tape or follow the video tape?

Tough balance. Videos not against NFL talent, measuring tape doesn't mean it's impossible.

He's right about everything except his arms aren't like twigs, they are like firewood logs, short and thick. Maybe he meant they were short but twigs they are not.

Being a Gamecock fan in SC I've seen Ingram's play and unlike Maybin he's been producing most of his college career. He played a utility guy though where he'd line up at end, tackle, and LB. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but he wasn't a "pure" pass rushing DE in the strictest sense. High character guy though so if anyone can overcome their "physical deficiencies" :blink: he can. I'd except him at #10, I'd love him in a trade down!

It just seems at this point that the talent we need will not be available with our 10th pick. The real talent at our needs appears it will be gone and everyone remaining at our real needs positions will be not worthy of a 10th. Just wish we could find a partner for a trade down and possibly pick up another 2nd round pick . Ingram seems to be serviceable pick and could be a solid contributor,but not the game changer we need, and not worthy of a #10. Rather take a lesser player like an Ingram or Mercilus AND a Curry, rather than waste it on a reach like Upshaw, if we can't get a real game changer.