Routt CB

syrcuse315

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see signing Routt as similar to signing Florence a few years ago. Guy coming off being cut/a huge contract and didn't play up to expectations but is still pocketing A LOT of money from his former team. Will probably sign in the 4-6 million range, saves the team a draft pick and fills the need of a CB to play with Williams and Florence.

I think Routt can really excel as a #2/3. He did it in Oakland when he was #2 with Asomugha, he just wasn't good enough as a #1 and that showed in his increased amount of penalties IMO.

I say let go of Florence ( I really do believe he's the disease of the team and I hate his play ). Let go of McGee. Keep McKelvin ( just in case the corners need to get blaimed for poor play he's at least experienced in that dept. ) Start Williams. Start Rogers ( Chan don't give me no crap about we didn't want to start him at corner AND have him returning kicks ). Then draft a corner and pick up two free agent corners all who should give Rogers competition and maybe beat him to a starting role. Oh and let Reggie walk also unless he can come back for a decent price.

$6.5mil/year is simply way too much.

I'd probably put him on par with Florence so I'd say 4.5 - 5.5 would be decent market value. Some guys are worth the overpay, I don't think this guy was one of them. The question is when the guy who is worth it comes around does Buddy pull the trigger?

I'd probably put him on par with Florence so I'd say 4.5 - 5.5 would be decent market value. Some guys are worth the overpay, I don't think this guy was one of them. The question is when the guy who is worth it comes around does Buddy pull the trigger?

Agreed that he's about on par with Flo.

The question isnt about Buddy. It's up to the money guys. Buddy can just make his case for how badly they need/want a certain player.

If Routt was looking for $6mil+/season, I hope they were all in agreement to move on.

Edited by DrDareustein

He didn't like the city of Buffalo and didn't want to be here. The Bills don't get into bidding wars. CB isn't a huge priority. Routt is overrated and his new team paid too much. You don't build through free agency. Sometimes free agents don't play to their contract, so it's a big risk to sign the higher priced ones.

I don't care about Routt, but it's got to be alarming that Buffalo isn't signing as many guys as they have interest in. I think free agency will be a let-down for those believing the Bills will spend money.

Yes, free agency is typically underwhelming, but there are some who wish upon a star that Littmann will open RW's piggy bank and let Buddy Nix go Pac Man Jones every year.

It would be nice if (for once), on the rare occasions they decide to spend quality money, they'd strike gold on the right player(s) instead of dropping major ducats on the Langston Walkers & Derrick Dockerys of the world. Their inability to determine the proper people on who to spend money is more disturbing to me than the perception/fact that they don't always seem willing to spend.

It would be nice if (for once), on the rare occasions they decide to spend quality money, they'd strike gold on the right player(s) instead of dropping major ducats on the Langston Walkers & Derrick Dockerys of the world. Their inability to determine the proper people on who to spend money is more disturbing to me than the perception/fact that they don't always seem willing to spend.

Over the past few years, the number of quality free agents hitting the open market has diminished quite a bit. Not saying there are no good players to be had but there isnt a luxury of riches. And about Clabo (cos someone just mentioned him), we made a pretty decent offer and it appears that he was just using the Bills for leverage in his negotiations so technically money was not the deciding factor for him.

It is a brutal combination, which is one of the main reasons we have the longest playoff draught in the NFL. Our talent evaluation of NFL free agents has just been brutal for the past 5-7 years. (After we signed Takeo and Sam Adams) This is a big year for free agents. We have a ton of money under the cap. And we can transfer up to 21 million from last years cap to this years cap as well. There is absolutely no excuse for us not being in the bidding for every good free agent that is at a need position for us. This team needs at least 5 good free agents to mix into the offense and defense. (At least 2 playmakers on offense, and three playmakers on defense) We do that we can take the best offensive tackle with the tenth pick and hopefully take Hightower from Alabama in the second round, and than bring in depth with our other draft picks. Having drafted so poorly for the past decade, the top end talent on our roster is minimal. There is no way we will ever compete for the playoffs regardless of how well we draft, unless we fortify the roster with some strong free agents.

So everyone who thinks that we "have to resign Stevie Johnson". That is only a small part of the equation. The guy who is throwing to him is not an NFL starting QB. The Defense has been dreadful the past many seasons. So let us pray that One Bills Drive cares as much as its fan base, and spends what it HAS TO to land some marquee talent.

And btw, Drayton Florence STINKS!! He would not start for just about any other team in the NFL. The sooner he is cut, the better.