Brady admits to throwing the ball away

section122

there was no doubt he was throwing it away but i still think it was a bad call

how many times have we seen QBs throw the ball 20 rows into the seats out of the end zone under pressure with no flag

with the way routes are run depending on the defense these days there is always the chance of miscommunication which the ref will never be able to determine

how many times have we seen QBs throw the ball 20 rows into the seats out of the end zone under pressure with no flag

Right but remember that this is the Super Bowl - and the highest rated refs are officiating the game. If that was one of the crappy crews that probably wouldn't have been called.

for all you there could have been a mix up on the route crowd.

http://eye-on-footba...475988/34769713

Also interesting tidbit from the article, Belicheat wanted the Giants to have to use Manningham instead of Cruz or Nicks on the final drive... :oops:

why wouldn't he? Cruz and Nicks are better than Manningham. You cant defend a perfectly thrown pass or an amazing catch.

with the way routes are run depending on the defense these days there is always the chance of miscommunication which the ref will never be able to determine

If outside the pocket that's legal. If drilled at about 12 feet high - it's uncatchable but you can argue it was attempting to put it where only his wr could get it. This was lobbed about 30 yards from anyone's route

I remember Kelly getting called for intentional grounding for doing exactly that against Miami (not sure when, exactly). He sat in the pocket, looked left and right, and fired through the EZ and into the stands.

GO BILLS!!!

Apparently if you were at the stadium (or watching the coach's cam), it was very clear he was throwing it away. No WR within 30 yards, no one had ever been heading that way, etc. Good call by both the letter and spirit of the rule. And good job by Brady not being a total whiner for once.

If outside the pocket that's legal. If drilled at about 12 feet high - it's uncatchable but you can argue it was attempting to put it where only his wr could get it. This was lobbed about 30 yards from anyone's route

the point was what if one of the receivers was supposed to go deep but instead cut his route off across the middle bc of what he saw in the coverage but Brady thought he was still going deep

i dont think this was the case but how can the ref say without a doubt it wasnt

Edited by Max997

Giselle still thinks Welker or Gronk should have been there to drop the ball on that play... "My husband avoids the rush to throw the ball and they can't even get to it to drop it and save him from looking bad. #$%^"

Edited by JoeF

the point was what if one of the receivers was supposed to go deep but instead cut his route off across the middle bc of what he saw in the coverage but Brady thought he was still going deep

They don't have to, refs just need to call it according to rulebook. As long as the QB is not out of pocket and under pressure, and Refs think there is no realistic chance of completion, they can call it an intentional grounding.

intentional grounding

Intentional Grounding of Forward Pass

Intentional grounding of a forward pass is a foul: loss of down and 10 yards from previous spot if passer is in the field of play or loss of down at the spot of the foul if it occurs more than 10 yards behind the line or safety if passer is in his own end zone when ball is released.

Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).

So the ref made the correct call and you're questioning why he didn't decide to not make the call because there was a risk he could be wrong?

Um...yeah.

It was clearly grounding, and I said to my friends just after the play ended that it was (and should be a safety), half-jokingly because I never thought they'd call it against Tommy Boy. And when they did throw the flag, I was expecting a call against the Giants.

You're making very little sense towards logic in this thread.

So you want the refs to do the wrong thing, because maybe something was supposed to happen that didnt?!?!?!

Even if a WR did run the wrong route, the events that actually happened in reality were grounding.

You can do anything you want outside the tackles as long as the ball makes it past the line of scrimmage. Brady was inside the pocket albeit a collapsing one.

You're making very little sense towards logic in this thread.

So you want the refs to do the wrong thing, because maybe something was supposed to happen that didnt?!?!?!

Even if a WR did run the wrong route, the events that actually happened in reality were grounding.

Yep. It doesn't matter what the WR was supposed to do. If the QB is in the pocket, under duress, and throws the ball where no one is even remotely close to, it's grounding. And on that play, it wasn't even close. The closest receiver was still over 20 yards away from where the ball landed.

what the rules say and how it's enforced ate 2 diffeerent things

Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion. (too high)

Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).

The refs reserve judgement based on if there was no receiver in the area. Again 10 feet too high or at their feet. its still towards a receiver.

It was clearly grounding, and I said to my friends just after the play ended that it was (and should be a safety), half-jokingly because I never thought they'd call it against Tommy Boy. And when they did throw the flag, I was expecting a call against the Giants.

Me too... except I was more than a little bit animated. What can I say my hatred for the Pats* runs deep :devil:

what the rules say and how it's enforced ate 2 diffeerent things

Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion. (too high)

The refs reserve judgement based on if there was no receiver in the area. Again 10 feet too high or at their feet. its still towards a receiver.

Generally, they won't call IG is there is a receiver in the vicinity, regardless of how high or low a QB throws it. I assume the refs give some leeway since they figure it might just have been a bad pass.