YouTube: NitroRadio99's channel

So much for sleeping tonight

Was the ralph built yet?

Yep- First year for Rich Stadium, last year for the standing Buffalo were both 1973. I actually got to see many of the Bills games that year with my Dad. Good, good stuff.

found my first bills game!

youtube.com/watch?v=_qj-xJgf3mo&feature=related

a loss, of course...

Awesome to think you were there!

That channel is great.

On that subject, may I also recommend this, full-length version of the famous/infamous Bills-Giants MNF game from 1975.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK2OJx9dkwM

I am not the uploader, and imagine it will be taken down before too long, but check it out. You will see an amazing Bills team fall apart in a game that, in retrospect, was the high-water mark of the OJ era. They went into this game 4-0 with the best offense in football, but it would be downhill from there.

Two other observations:

1. Note that OJ felt movies was a better way to make money than football... it was a different world, kids.

2. Also note how few replays and graphics, and even fewer commercial breaks cluttered up MNF back then. It was a different world for sure.

Go Bills!

OMG, the very first clip on the web page was from a home game against the Bengals in 1973 which was the first Bills game I ever went to. I was 12 years old, OJ got 99 yards and they lost on a last second field goal, 16-13. We were up until 2 am painting a banner in my grandmother's basement. My cousin from California was living with us and was quite the artist. He died in his mid 20's and I can't think of him without remembering how hard he worked on that banner. He drew a Bills helmet and standing buffalo free hand that was perfect. Being from San Diego he was a Chargers fan but was nice enough to go with the flow.

thanks for the link!

I was at that one. dude shimmied out on the cable that holds up the nets behind the goal posts.

Yup. And this was an era where they showed that stuff on TV rather than averting eyes and cameras, so you can see Cosell and Co. commenting on it. My parents were at the game too... it was apparently wild. You can even see on one shot smoke rising from the stands, where, if memory serves, some people set fires.

I was at that one. dude shimmied out on the cable that holds up the nets behind the goal posts.

I was at that one too - I also remember they had a frisbee dog at halftime that took a leak on the goal post. I seem to remember the crowd was totally out of control.

Edited by baskin

Awesome to think you were there!

Two other observations:

1. Note that OJ felt movies was a better way to make money than football... it was a different world, kids.

2. Also note how few replays and graphics, and even fewer commercial breaks cluttered up MNF back then. It was a different world for sure.

Go Bills!

1)To be fair, I still think top movie stars make more than top athletes, but fair point.

2) The lack of graphics was great..so much more room on the screen, just seemed much cleaner no? Also loved all teh signs, loved Howard..and Karras was a true Mongo..convinced he was not acting in that part now

1)To be fair, I still think top movie stars make more than top athletes, but fair point.

2) The lack of graphics was great..so much more room on the screen, just seemed much cleaner no? Also loved all teh signs, loved Howard..and Karras was a true Mongo..convinced he was not acting in that part now

True on the movie stars, and it is less pounding on the body. The big change between now and then is the rise of the signing bonus. OJ would hold out after the 1975 season and the Bills got him back with a three-year 2.5 million total contract. A lot of money, but these days it would have been many times more, with huge up front cash. OJ was really modeling himself on Jim Brown, who left football at 29 (!) because making movies was so much more lucrative by comparison.

I do love the lower-key graphics of that era, and the fact that ever play did not get sixteen different replay angles. Though it is funny to see fumbles (such as Braxton's on the first drive) get one look and that's it. These days there would have been eight angles, a replay challenge, and a full station break before action would resume!

OJ running the football was truly a thing of beauty. No one has ever run quite like he did. I remember we all tried to though in our back yards :)

OJ running the football was truly a thing of beauty. No one has ever run quite like he did. I remember we all tried to though in our back yards :)

I was thinking the same thing. Regardless what you may think of him off the field, the guys engine was peaking in every gear and when he hit that top gear, no one stood a chance.