Mike Sherman

NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reports the Dolphins have agreed to terms with Mike Sherman as offensive coordinator and Kevin Coyle as defensive coordinator.

Sherman won three division titles as Packers head coach from 2000-2005, breaking the franchise record for rushing in 2003 and for passing in 2004. Sherman has used the West Coast offense at every coaching stop and figures to be the primary play-caller in Miami. Texas A&M prospect Ryan Tannehill, widely considered the third-best QB in the draft, played under Sherman and could be an option for the Dolphins. A coaching veteran of 35 years, Coyle is expected to bring a 4-3 scheme.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?r=1

Not to mention he was Marv Levy's second choice at HC, stated he knocked his socks off in his interview for the Bills HCing job. Still don't know why Levy / Wilson hired Jauron

I wished Marv hired Sherman.

I think there were 2 reasons Sherman did not get the job. 1) Jauron reminded Marv of himself and 2) Sherman had more NFL front office experience than Marv.

I am surprised that no one has made him a head coach again.

As for Koyle, why would an Offensive Coordinator with no head coaching experience hire someone with no experience as a coordinator to run his defense. This is always my pet peeve with new coaches.

Not to mention he was Marv Levy's second choice at HC, stated he knocked his socks off in his interview for the Bills HCing job. Still don't know why Levy / Wilson hired Jauron

bc Marv is a dope and preferred the guy with less success as a head coach who went to an Ivy league school so apparently it was a no brainer

Edited by Max997

bc Marv is a dope and preferred the guy with less success as a head coach who went to an Ivy league school so apparently it was a no brainer

I"ve always wondered why a guy that had one winning season as a HQ during which all the breaks went the Bears way (and then they got dumped in the playoffs) would be offered the job over somebody with a persistent record of success.

This was the first and maybe biggest (or was it picking Whitner rather than Ngata?) in a series of blunders made by Marv during his tenure as GM.

Hopefully they spend the #9 pick on Tannenhill (sorry Barbarian), and Upshaw or another star slides to us.

Dolphins got a good OC though. Even more reason to load up on Defense.

Dude. I just hope that the Dolphins don't draft Coples. As much as some people are down on him I would hate to see that beast line up against us twice a year.

I wished Marv hired Sherman.

I think there were 2 reasons Sherman did not get the job. 1) Jauron reminded Marv of himself and 2) Sherman had more NFL front office experience than Marv.

I am surprised that no one has made him a head coach again.

As for Koyle, why would an Offensive Coordinator with no head coaching experience hire someone with no experience as a coordinator to run his defense. This is always my pet peeve with new coaches.

Sherman was 25-25 in COLLEGE. He is hardly some elite coach.

He is a pretty good offensive mind but it is always risky when a head coach hires another proven guy with the same background as a coordinator (Haley and Gailey as his OC).

Also, I kinda want the Fins to sign Flynn. I have visions of Kolb and RJ in my head. He was a very average QB for a loaded LSU team.

Yea, this hire is their best off season coaching move. That said I hope he falls flat on his face!

By far the best coaching hire of the off season on paper. As for his college record, college is far different than the pros where he had a lot of success. For example, recruiting at Texas A&M is difficult when you are arguably the 3-4th best school in your state.

He is a pretty good offensive mind but it is always risky when a head coach hires another proven guy with the same background as a coordinator (Haley and Gailey as his OC).

Also, I kinda want the Fins to sign Flynn. I have visions of Kolb and RJ in my head. He was a very average QB for a loaded LSU team.

no one said he was Vince Lombardi but he would have been drastically better then Jauron which was the point of the conversation

no one said he was Vince Lombardi but he would have been drastically better then Jauron which was the point of the conversation

I'm sure having Brett Farve instead of JP Losman and Trent Edwards helps a bit. Sherman sucks as a head coach. It was a bad year to need a head coach.

Sherman has been offered how many HC jobs since?

I find this question amusing--as if GMs and owners always pick the right HC and never pass on a good prospect.

There were 7 HC spots up for grabs this year, of those 6 were at well established coaching revolving door teams: Tampa (3 HCs in 4 years), Rams (5 in 4 yrs), Dolphins (3 in 6), Colts (3 in 5), Oakland (5 in 7 and 7 in 10 yrs!!), KC (4 in 5). Add in others: SF (6 in 8 yrs), Cleve (3 in 4) and Buff (4 in 8) and its clear these guys who pick HCs are awful at it.

I find this question amusing--as if GMs and owners always pick the right HC and never pass on a good prospect.

There were 7 HC spots up for grabs this year, of those 6 were at well established coaching revolving door teams: Tampa (3 HCs in 4 years), Rams (5 in 4 yrs), Dolphins (3 in 6), Colts (3 in 5), Oakland (5 in 7 and 7 in 10 yrs!!), KC (4 in 5). Add in others: SF (6 in 8 yrs), Cleve (3 in 4) and Buff (4 in 8) and its clear these guys who pick HCs are awful at it.

But the point is what has Sherman accomplished since having a HOF QB? The Packers got better after he left.

But the point is what has Sherman accomplished since having a HOF QB? The Packers got better after he left.

The Packers were in the playoffs 4 of Sherman's 6 years vs 3 of McCarthy's 6 years. Sherman had 57 wins, McCarthy 55. Sherman had 1 HOF QB, McCarthy had 2.

If the Packers had picked JP Losman as Favre's backup, McCarthy would have been gone a few seasons ago.

Flynn won a national championship with the loaded LSU team that #1 flop Jamarcus Russell could not win the big game with. I can see the RJ comparison, one game wonder and all, but I think Flynn has the leadership skills that RJ did not.

Sherman is nothing. A good guy, a class guy, but hardly an offensive genius. And he has problems staying awake

Sherman at the NFL combine

I"ve always wondered why a guy that had one winning season as a HQ during which all the breaks went the Bears way (and then they got dumped in the playoffs) would be offered the job over somebody with a persistent record of success.

This was the first and maybe biggest (or was it picking Whitner rather than Ngata?) in a series of blunders made by Marv during his tenure as GM.

Ouch. Please do not ever bring that up again. I remember sitting in front of the tv wincing in pain over that pick. I wanted Ngata in a Bills hat sooo bad.

Although my pain subsided suddenly when they traded back into the 1st round. "Nick Mangold!" "Nick Mangold!" i chanted. "John McCargo," they announced.

I'm sure many out there have similiar stories about similar drafts and I laugh now at how bitter i still am about that particular draft.. but it helps we now have Wood and Williams.