Chan Gailey

Billsguy

“If you want to get the true measure of a football team go back and evaluate every first half of every game,” said head coach Chan Gailey.

Some people might argue that Gailey has it exactly backwards. In the second half, and especially the 4th quarter, is when you get the true measure of a football team. The game is on the line and it's gut-check time. Gailey dismisses this idea and insists the first half is where you can determine a team's character.

I think Gailey is wrong.

You took the quote out of context and didn't provide a link to support your argument. The remark was in reference to their play calling, run vs pass.

When it comes to finding out the true identity of an NFL offense it often goes a bit deeper than rush and pass attempt totals at the end of the year. Time and score, location on the field, injuries sustained in the game are all variables that can cloud the picture. On the whole however, NFL coaches subscribe to a general rule of thumb in ascertaining what they are offensively.

If you want to get the true measure of a football team go back and evaluate every first half of every game, said head coach Chan Gailey. Youll get a true idea of who they are which is what we will do as we continue with our breakdowns to see who we truly are. What kind of team we really are being able to break down the first halves of what we did.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-1st-half-figures-reveal-identity/f6ca14c9-300a-4c26-977a-c7d5182d59d8 Edited by Carey Bender

“If you want to get the true measure of a football team go back and evaluate every first half of every game,” said head coach Chan Gailey.

Some people might argue that Gailey has it exactly backwards. In the second half, and especially the 4th quarter, is when you get the true measure of a football team. The game is on the line and it's gut-check time. Gailey dismisses this idea and insists the first half is where you can determine a team's character.

I think Gailey is wrong.

I was thinking the same thing. I found myself getting annoyed reading that article. He's all bent on trying to "figure out who we are." I'm thinking, 6 and 10--that's who you are. Go look at ALL the film, ya jagoff.

I think the point is the first half is when it's anyone's game, and you're going with your game plan, so statistically speaking, you're getting a better picture of what you have as a team. The second half will tend to show a lot more statistical anomalies because a team is usually either trying to catch up (pass more) or protect a lead (run more), and there's always garbage time in there too.

well since Gailey started just about every game throwing the ball then i guess a lot of people can finally accept that he is a pass first coach

if you want to know how good a coach is look at his overall record...10-22 with the Bills says it all

well since Gailey started just about every game throwing the ball then i guess a lot of people can finally accept that he is a pass first coach

if you want to know how good a coach is look at his overall record...10-22 with the Bills says it all

Silly and in a vacuum. If you honestly believe there was much more talent on this team than 6-10, you're delusional. What Gailey did with the offense was pretty amazing considering the talent level. The major criticism I have of Gailey is his hire of the DC.

Silly and in a vacuum. If you honestly believe there was much more talent on this team than 6-10, you're delusional. What Gailey did with the offense was pretty amazing considering the talent level. The major criticism I have of Gailey is his hire of the DC.

really? you dont think he should have been a little more run oriented control the clock considering the lack of talent at WR and how bad the defense was?

spin any way you want, his 2 year record is 10-22...period

You took the quote out of context and didn't provide a link to support your argument. The remark was in reference to their play calling, run vs pass.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Bills-1st-half-figures-reveal-identity/f6ca14c9-300a-4c26-977a-c7d5182d59d8

Actually, the starting game plan does not indicate who a team really is. It simply shows who the coaches think it is. One reason why a coach may not use the best strategies for a team is his strong opinions of what works best. Coaches have reputations for their offensive or defensive "style" of play calling. Usually, when they take over a team, they strive to make the team into their preconcieved notion of what works best. Sucessful NFL organizations attempt to bring in coaches who have a portfolio of what they perceive as valuable skills and know the coach will attempt to have the team fit into his mold for success.

Sometimes a Head Coach will concede that his way will not work with the personnel he has. He may change the play calling temporarily, but usually he only does this while he attempts to get people who will successfully work his schemes. A Head Coach without this confidence in his style will not last long.

18-14 with Dallas. Made playoffs 2 out of 2 years. 0-2 in the playoffs. I like how you conveniently left that out.

18-14 with Dallas. Made playoffs 2 out of 2 years. 0-2 in the playoffs. I like how you conveniently left that out.

Given the personnel he had in Dallas a lot of people consider 18-14 underachieving.

The 0-2 in the playoffs was underachieving and Gailey blamed himself directly for at least one of those losses.

Also that was in another era as far as the NFL is concerned, a long time ago.

So say you combine the two if you want to be comprehensive.

28-36 with 2 out of 4 playoff appearances, both appearances were a 1st game loss, and the last 2 years his team was out of the playoffs by December. Not exactly the stuff championships are made of.

I still maintain he is the best the Bills could hire at the time, and this past season gives me some hope the team is heading in the right direction. But there is probably a reason it was so long between head coaching jobs for him.

This isn't just on Gailey. From an organizational standpoint we do everything a$$-backwards. It's as if... I dunno... we're being run by a 90 year old man or something.

In thirty years as a fan, I've seen decisions from our FO that have left me stunned, and speechless.

However, the last twelve years or so have been a full-on nightmare. One bad idea after another.

We have an owner that's way too buddy-buddy with his GM (incidentally also nicknamed Buddy)

And a GM that's way, way, too buddy-buddy with his HC. -There's zero accountability from anyone, on any level.

That's a problem going forward because bad decisions call for consequences, and in some cases, retribution. If there's little of the former, and none of the latter, we have laid the foundation for a future fiasco.

I'd like to see a little more church and state from our FO. -AND more people's feet being held to the proverbial fire when decisions go afoul. I admire Jim Irsay for pulling the trigger on those who got a bit too comfortable within his organization.

OBD should follow a similar course.

Both Buddy and Chan should be put on notice regarding the consequences of another failed season. I'd rather see a green-horn GM, and a young HC struggling, than two fat, contented, comfortable failures living it up while fans continue to endure lost seasons.

Edited by #34fan

He doesn't try to hide that fact at all. Last week (maybe 2 weeks ago) he said that he feels you have to throw to set up the run. That's fine & dandy Chan, but when you're gashing people on the ground don't you need to revise that? When you lead the league on first down YPC don't you need to revise that?

really? you dont think he should have been a little more run oriented control the clock considering the lack of talent at WR and how bad the defense was?

spin any way you want, his 2 year record is 10-22...period

13th in the league, in rushing yards per game.

Well to be mediocre, technically we'd have had to finish 16th in the league in yards per game. So technically, were slightly above average.

My sarcasm should be obvious. Point is had Fred not went down and if we had a coach that could play to his team strengths we should have had a top 5 running game. Just one of the strengths any team needs to succeed. No one can say they weren't scratching their head wondering what Gailey was doing shutting down a potent running game time after time. Passing when up up 21 zip to the patriots is one of many questionable game plans gailey ran. Another one is having CJ running good and hard. Then Gailey putting in Choice after every single Spiller run. Surely pass happy Gailey in his down time must question his quarterbacks skills beyond a dunk and dink pass game.

This isn't just on Gailey. From an organizational standpoint we do everything a$$-backwards. It's as if... I dunno... we're being run by a 90 year old man or something.

In thirty years as a fan, I've seen decisions from our FO that have left me stunned, and speechless.

However, the last twelve years or so have been a full-on nightmare. One bad idea after another.

We have an owner that's way too buddy-buddy with his GM (incidentally also nicknamed Buddy)

And a GM that's way, way, too buddy-buddy with his HC. -There's zero accountability from anyone, on any level.

That's a problem going forward because bad decisions call for consequences, and in some cases, retribution. If there's little of the former, and none of the latter, we have laid the foundation for a future fiasco.

I'd like to see a little more church and state from our FO. -AND more people's feet being held to the proverbial fire when decisions go afoul. I admire Jim Irsay for pulling the trigger on those who got a bit too comfortable within his organization.

OBD should follow a similar course.

I couldn't disagree more regarding the "zero accountability" statement....since Buddy's come in, while hiring Gailey and therefore defacto hiring of Edwards, he's cleaned out the front office from what it is, they've traded players and let players go that weren't producing regardless of their draft position or "name". Buddy to me has been the direct opposite and shown he's willing to release anybody, fire anybody, and subsequently hire anyone and sign anyone he truly believes will help the team...while retaining Edwards is a serious lack of foresight, hiring Dave W in the off season was a great step we all heralded as a good hire...and now, Edwards is gone and Dave W is taking the reigns...so, we'll see...

Both Buddy and Chan should be put on notice regarding the consequences of another failed season. I'd rather see a green-horn GM, and a young HC struggling, than two fat, contented, comfortable failures living it up while fans continue to endure lost seasons.

Its quite obvious the strengths of our team is not having fitz throw it 35-40 times a game with 1 quality receiver. The strength of the offense was Fred Jackson, until Fred Jackson got hurt. After that the strength of the offense was CJ Spiller. Next year the focus of the offense should be on Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller with additional weapons added at wr

Its quite obvious the strengths of our team is not having fitz throw it 35-40 times a game with 1 quality receiver. The strength of the offense was Fred Jackson, until Fred Jackson got hurt. After that the strength of the offense was CJ Spiller. Next year the focus of the offense should be on Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller with additional weapons added at wr

Well, that sounds like a thing a smart coach would do, considering the hand he has been dealt. I don't see it happening with Gailey. Expect more of the spread offense and a predictable re-birth of the awesome wildcat offense. This is based on the hiring of David Lee the Dolphins wildcat architect and Gailey and Nix trying to get some value on the over paid bust that is Brad Smith.