Fitz's QBR Numbers

HuSeYiN1978

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a big supporter of Fitzpatrick and I still am to some extent, but he did fail from the first Jets game on. It's the biggest mystery to me how he could look so great and then fail so badly. That's not a good sign for someone that's been in the league as long as he has been. I thought we finally had found our franchise guy and that all went to pieces in the second half of the season. The crazy amount of interceptions and missed throws are inexcusable.

It's my hope that they can swing a trade in this draft for RG III. However, I don't think that's realistic and I think that they'll go with Fitzpatrick in the hopes his second half failings are fixable by giving him a strong defense, running game and a big target opposite Stevie. I do think that Fitzpatrick has the chance to be fixable to the almost-franchise QB level, but wow was his fall from grace disappointing to me. The guy will need some solid help around him if we have dreams of a Superbowl win for the Bills. I do like the guy a lot though and I'll be pulling for him to make the necessary adjustments in the off season to consistently be the guy we saw in those first seven games.

I have mixed emotions about Fitz's play.

At times he looked like the QB the franchise has been missing since Kelly retired. The last drive against NE in the first game, was a moment where we all said "we have a real qb".

But then there were other times when Fitz looked like a back-up. making poor decisions and trying to force the ball. Some will say this was due to lack of talent and the fact injuries caught up with the team.

I think QBR is trying to show a QB's numbers when the game is on the line. And when he has the opportunity to step up and show he can win a game.

I think he is probably a true game manager. If given talent around him he will be a solid QB, never a super star or 'elite'(whatever the heck that means).

This means the orig needs to re-sign Stevie and Bell(or draft a tackle in the early rounds), bring in another good WR, and keep Freddie happy.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

What i don't get is if the league has become a passing league & all of the other teams for the most part are geared to stop the pass with their CB's & such , given that we have a QB that is a good game manager but in a lot of peoples eyes not a elite QB like the 2 mentioned in the BB.com article . Why with the 2 backs that we have & the potential of the ground game don't we lean on both of them (FJ & CJ) more ??

If you had 2 out puts out of the back field like Fred did last year can you imagine what or how much that would open up our passing game ?? Every team would gear to stop our run , HELLO PASSING GAME !!!

How many plays are in a game ? If Gailey split them evenly between the run & the pass then split the running between FJ & CJ could they each get 20 touches in the ground game ? The Jet's made it to 2 AFC championship games with the ground & pound attitude , why not us ???

And i think Fitz has proven that he's better than Sanchez !!!!

I was a big supporter of Fitzpatrick and I still am to some extent, but he did fail from the first Jets game on. It's the biggest mystery to me how he could look so great and then fail so badly. That's not a good sign for someone that's been in the league as long as he has been. I thought we finally had found our franchise guy and that all went to pieces in the second half of the season. The crazy amount of interceptions and missed throws are inexcusable.

It's my hope that they can swing a trade in this draft for RG III. However, I don't think that's realistic and I think that they'll go with Fitzpatrick in the hopes his second half failings are fixable by giving him a strong defense, running game and a big target opposite Stevie. I do think that Fitzpatrick has the chance to be fixable to the almost-franchise QB level, but wow was his fall from grace disappointing to me. The guy will need some solid help around him if we have dreams of a Superbowl win for the Bills. I do like the guy a lot though and I'll be pulling for him to make the necessary adjustments in the off season to consistently be the guy we saw in those first seven games.

It's really quite simple. All of his WR got hurt. We had a wild cat QB and a RB starting at WR at one point and guys that were driving trucks and bagging groceries at the beginning of the year. We lost our best offensive lineman Eric Wood and our best player FJ. Pretty simple. Any QB needs players around him. How people can't factor that in and look at Fitz in a vacuum baffles me. Don't even get me started on our defense.

The quarterback rating numbers reflect nothing approaching the effectiveness of a quarterback's game. Too many intangibles: Leadership, ability to read defenses, offensive line play, penalties, even your own defense can affect the quarterback's situations. Given Fitz's performance in the last half of the season, 18th likely overstates his effectiveness at the position.

Trent Edwards finished a season with a QBR higher than Big Ben one year. I don't recall Trent being that good ever.

And the guy who finished two places above him passed?

No cuz that would make him 50 percent... 65 average usually "passes" but as you could see that when you finish in the 80'z or even 70'z, usually you're in the postseason

Our team finished below half the league. I'd say the Bills as a whole pretty much failed.

True indeed but Fitz did slump pretty bad...

So, the 23rd rated team in the NFL had the 18th ranked QB.

The math may not add up when you consider the amount of teams in the NFL compared to the QBR, but either way he's far from being in the top ten which sucks that there's only 31 other guys to compete with.... There's 16 teams per conference and 6 of them get into the postseason... If we had a top ten rated QB IMO I believe we would be in or at least make a push for the playoffs...

No left tackle. No #2 WR. Lost his starting RB half way through the season. Shuffled through 3 centers. Lost TE in last quarter of the season. Lost second best lineman.

I'd say middle of the pack was not a bad performance.

Well I'm still looking forward to next year... So let's see what happens then...

I have mixed emotions about Fitz's play.

At times he looked like the QB the franchise has been missing since Kelly retired. The last drive against NE in the first game, was a moment where we all said "we have a real qb".

But then there were other times when Fitz looked like a back-up. making poor decisions and trying to force the ball. Some will say this was due to lack of talent and the fact injuries caught up with the team.

I think QBR is trying to show a QB's numbers when the game is on the line. And when he has the opportunity to step up and show he can win a game.

I think he is probably a true game manager. If given talent around him he will be a solid QB, never a super star or 'elite'(whatever the heck that means).

This means the orig needs to re-sign Stevie and Bell(or draft a tackle in the early rounds), bring in another good WR, and keep Freddie happy.

My thoughts about Fitz are similar to yours. My biggest concern with him is his propensity to make inaccurate throws, including on what should be fairly standard-issue patterns. While his inaccurate throws don't occur all the time, they do happen often enough.

Someone wrote that Fitz is a better quarterback than Sanchez. This is true. Fitz averaged 6.8 yards per attempt in 2010 and 6.7 yards per attempt in 2011. Sanchez averaged 6.5 and 6.4 yards per attempt during those years, and has a career average of 6.5. (To put this into perspective, Trent Edwards' career average is also 6.5.) Sanchez is surrounded by a much better supporting cast than the one Fitz has or the one Edwards had. While Sanchez plays better than Edwards in flashes, his overall body of work is inferior to Edwards' or Fitzpatrick's.

A QB should have a career average of 7.2 - 7.4 yards per attempt to be considered franchise. Some franchise QBs have averages which are considerably higher. Matt Schaub for example, has averaged 7.9 yards per attempt over the course of his career. Matt Schaub is well above the Sanchez/Edwards/Fitzpatrick level, and changes the equation of games in ways that those three QBs do not.

When faced with a choice between building around a non-franchise QB or obtaining a franchise QB, I believe a franchise should always do the latter. Unfortunately, the Bills are not likely to have an opportunity to obtain a franchise QB in the upcoming draft.

I know from our years of posting that you are smart enough to figure it out.

His league leading RB got injured.

His squad leader Center got injured. Then the BACKUP Center got injured.

His LT got injured.

His WR unit was decimated with injuries.

You say it yourself, "The guy will need some solid help around him". All QBs do. The more help, the better the QB can play.

The worse new stat I have seen invented since the passing rating. :wallbash:

Really? Why exactly is that? Be specific if possible...I'm just curious...

Because you look at the Top 10 and it seems just about right...Maybe Romo is a bit high at #5...But Rodgers, Brees and Brady at 1, 2, and 3 certainly is correct...

Maybe the NFL did not need a new way to rate QB's...But in this case Fitz actually benefited...The old QB Rating had him 22nd...Right behind Tavaris Jackson...So...

There's always going to be different ways to look at QB play...I think this Total QBR worked fairly well because Fitz landed pretty much exactly where he is...Middle of the League... B-)