Fitz's QBR Numbers

HuSeYiN1978

In the article you posted, Fitz's numbers were in line with the final numbers for Brees and Rodgers before the Bills started going down...

Seriously man, if you are going to say a guy failed, make a better case than that. This is laughable.

A part of the year doesn't matter... what matters is performing at a high level regardless of what's going on around you. Would we have made the playoffs if Fitz performed at a high level the whole year? I'm not so sure... since the rest of our team is pretty bad, but at least we can hold him accountable for his own play even if we aren't blaming him for our struggles.

I agree. The Bills don't have to suck more to get a better draft pick to become better, they have to draft much better. Brady is the most glaring example, but all of your QB examples prove that point very well.

Ding ding ding.

Plenty of teams improve with lesser draft picks than we get. It's about drafting and signing the right talent, and having the right coaches to guide them.

The Bills have done neither well.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I responded to your exact post...Saying that the QBR alone = Fitz failing at QB...You already admitted you that the QBR means almost nothing, so that's a good first step.

JP Losman had a QBR of 84.9 in 2006, that's what I was referring to, a "top half" number. Of course everyone knows that he was really one of the worst QB's in the league that year.

I also notice you didn't comment on Rob Johnson's 3 straight years finishing with a QBR of over 100...Despite having basically zero impact in those seasons, or his career.

You are right, Fitz's numbers were "bipolar" this year...Hmm, gee, why could that be? Before the Bill's suffered their major injuries he WAS a top 10 QB, with numbers on par with Brees, Rodgers ect... And after he lost his center, MVP running back, and a host of other players he struggled. Must just be a coincidence right?

I never said Fitz was great, I made one point in my original post...Judging the "success" of a QB soley by his QBR is something only people that know nothing about football do...You could say the team failed, but to blame that solely on Fitz (who but up the best passing numbers for the Bills in 10 years)is asinine...

All I heard you say was gee, I'm still laughing.

A part of the year doesn't matter... what matters is performing at a high level regardless of what's going on around you. Would we have made the playoffs if Fitz performed at a high level the whole year? I'm not so sure... since the rest of our team is pretty bad, but at least we can hold him accountable for his own play even if we aren't blaming him for our struggles.

Ding ding ding.

Plenty of teams improve with lesser draft picks than we get. It's about drafting and signing the right talent, and having the right coaches to guide them.

It's all about the QB. The Bills would win 7 games with Losman and Edwards. The Colts struggled to win 2 without Manning. You don't think if the only player that switch between those 2 teams were the QBs, the Bills woul be looking at a 12 year playoff drought? Me thinks not.

IMO, Fitz is not the reason the Bills missed the playoffs. At the same time, he isn't elite enough to carry the team like the great ones can. The Bills need to get a top flight talent at the position and things will take care of themselves. But you can't force the issue either. If Luck or RG3 isn't there, I don't want to take a 1st round QB. I'd draft Brock Osweiler of ASU in the 3rd and then evaluate the QB class of 2013. I have 0 problem with the Bills drafting a QB every year. I have a huge problem for the Bills settling on a guy like Losman because they need a QB.

I guess I am not sure what you mean here, are you saying that Fitz should have been able to maintain his effectiveness from the first part of the season, even as all of the other problems developed around him? If so I don't agree with that, every QB is affected by the players and injuries around him. It's a team game, especially from the QB's perspective. Fitz is good enough when he has a healthy team and a good scheme, but he is obviously no Manning or Brees. He can't carry the team on his shoulders alone, and we shouldn't ask him to.

Just look at Rivers, he had to struggle with injured o-lineman, WR's, and TE's all year. It showed in his performance.

IMO, Fitz is not the reason the Bills missed the playoffs. At the same time, he isn't elite enough to carry the team like the great ones can. The Bills need to get a top flight talent at the position and things will take care of themselves. But you can't force the issue either. If Luck or RG3 isn't there, I don't want to take a 1st round QB. I'd draft Brock Osweiler of ASU in the 3rd and then evaluate the QB class of 2013. I have 0 problem with the Bills drafting a QB every year. I have a huge problem for the Bills settling on a guy like Losman because they need a QB.

This I agree with completely...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Ding ding ding.

Not only does other teams improve with lesser draft picks than the Bills but they actually move up and down the draft board and play the draft the way it should be played. The most recent move I can remember us doing in the draft is moving back into the 1st round to pick up J.P. I may be wrong if it wasn't him that we picked up and if so, I'm sorry but my point is we don't do nothing. When the commissioner comes on the podium and says there has been a trade, I already know the Bills aren't involved. We need to make at least 1 BIG splash either in the draft or in free agency to start building a strong team. Just 1 and by saying 1 I don't mean that WE have to be the one reaching. We could be the one moving back down and getting more draft picks if we have to. Now obviously I don't want that for this year cuz picking number 10 in the draft is far back enough which leaves us in free agency. Let's go get a pass rusher or a WR or a TE or a LT in free agency and clear up some holes. I personally think Dwan Edwards has been a delight to have via free agency. Nick Barnett without a doubt was the best pickup last year. Let's just keep it going.

Well...Yeah I guess THAT is laughable...

By the way I still have a box of those Flutie flakes on a shelf, think they are still good?

Lol... I think they're still pretty good. Just throw it in the blender with some whey protein and soymilk and you should be fine lol...

It's really quite simple. All of his WR got hurt. We had a wild cat QB and a RB starting at WR at one point and guys that were driving trucks and bagging groceries at the beginning of the year. We lost our best offensive lineman Eric Wood and our best player FJ. Pretty simple. Any QB needs players around him. How people can't factor that in and look at Fitz in a vacuum baffles me. Don't even get me started on our defense.

[/quote Players being hurt have nothing to do with, Balls thrown behind receivers and deep balls 8 yards under thrown. an Average arm turned in to a below average arm by seasons end!

Players being hurt have nothing to do with, Balls thrown behind receivers and deep balls 8 yards under thrown. an Average arm turned in to a below average arm by seasons end!

It's kinda of hard to kill Fitz when he is playing with a bunch of 7th rounders and undrafted guys. If it was failing with Calvin Johnson and Fitzgerald, it's one thing. We have good stories on our team, but there is not one receiver with elite talent or high draft status.

The Bills owe Fitz another year and another weapon or 2 with elite talent. Our receivers are very limited. At the same point if there is a QB the Bills like, they shouldn't hestiate to draft him either.

If I'm getting this right... there's no point in being anything other than a superbowl winner, so you want to get rid of every average to good player we have to ensure that we get high draft picks?

Wouldn't that also end up being an endless cycle of mediocrity?

I apologize if I was unclear in my earlier post (as seems to have been the case).

It's quite possible to win a Super Bowl with decent but unspectacular players at some positions. The Packers team that won this past Super Bowl is a good example of that--especially after taking into account the effect of injuries.

But while it's possible to get away with having decent but not great players at some positions, it's almost impossible to win a Super Bowl without a franchise quarterback. Teams with franchise QBs tend to win one Super Bowl every nine years, teams without once every 250 years. An average OG or an average SS can be part of a Super Bowl winning team. With very few exceptions, an average QB cannot be.

If you trade away an average OG, you're taking away someone who could have been a starting player for a Super Bowl winning team. That sets you back over the long term. But trading away an average starting QB is different, because you knew that you were going to have to upgrade the QB position before you could win the Super Bowl. Because that average QB wasn't part of the long-term plan anyway, trading him away does not set that long-term plan back. Trading away that average QB--and going 1-15 with a truly horrendous replacement--gives you your best possible chance of being able to draft a franchise QB.