Forget Avril

I never expected him to become available.

He is an anchor on that line regardless of who he plays next to, and with consistent play the Lions have a defensive front to build on - something Buffalo needs to do.

Edited by jboyst62

what caught my eye there is the $16M for Megatron if franchised??? I thought that # was somewhere around $9m for Stevie

Caught my eye also. Perhaps it's because if they don't rework it megatron gets 14 million next year (based off last years salary in part?)

Also will be interesting to see if they can resign both players. Wanting to and doing it are different matters. Hope they can't keep Avril.

Caught my eye also. Perhaps it's because if they don't rework it megatron gets 14 million next year (based off last years salary in part?)

Also will be interesting to see if they can resign both players. Wanting to and doing it are different matters. Hope they can't keep Avril.

The franchise number is the greater of the average top 5 at the position or current pay + 20%. Given that he will have unlocked that 14mil + salary based on incentive targets he's already hit, dude is in for a well-deserved kind-of-insane payday.

The franchise number is the greater of the average top 5 at the position or current pay + 20%. Given that he will have unlocked that 14mil + salary based on incentive targets he's already hit, dude is in for a well-deserved kind-of-insane payday.

The explanation regarding Johnson is exactly right, however the new CBA has changed the way the tag is calculated:

In the past, a franchise tag was derived from averaging the top five salaries at a particular position from the previous season. The new formula is much more complicated and is formed by determining the franchise tags at that position over the last five years as a percentage of the overall cap figure in each of those five years.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8247df3a/article/franchisetag-values-will-be-down-across-the-board-in-2012

As one of the posters below the article mentioned. This could mean they can't resign Stephen Tulloch. I'd like us to give him a serious look.

Tulloch is an excellent player. Besides being a tackle machine he has good big play ability.

Fundamentally he reminds me of London Fletcher which some people on this board will view as a criticism but I view as a big complement.

Avril would be a good get for the Bills. But I'm not surprised the Lions want to resign him. Will see if they can. But this is why teams are better off drafting their own and resigning the ones who are difference makers. People hate to hear it, but Nix is right. Build through the draft. FA is no guarantee. 1. That a player will play as well with his new team and 2. That players will even make it to the FA period.

The Bills should go all in on Mario Williams. Houston's defense has played well in his absence and coming off a injury may not want to shell out top dollar to keep him. Obviously the Bills will have to overpay but is a no brainer in my opinion and fills our biggest need.

The Bills should go all in on Mario Williams. Houston's defense has played well in his absence and coming off a injury may not want to shell out top dollar to keep him. Obviously the Bills will have to overpay but is a no brainer in my opinion and fills our biggest need.

Would be a franchise gamechanger, not just a defensive.

As for Avril- want, can and will - are three very different things. Right now were at want. It doesn't mean thaaaaat much yet.

With all the money spent on that line already it might be really tough. The DT rotation alone is 2 high first rounders and a big free agent. Add two big contracts at end, and stafford and Johnson.... Will be hard to improve that roster long term.

One man does not a difference make !!! That's why football is a TEAM sport !!!! Plus to pay that kind of money No Way !! I'll bet if you ask the team that signed Haynesworth for all that money if it was worth it they'd tell you the truth of the matter !!!

Edited by T master

Our top sacker was Dareus, and he "racked up" 5.5 in total. Mario Williams got 5 in 5 games before he got hurt. He would be a cornerstone player in the 4-3, and incidently, he plays out of position in Houston. I think a return to DE would please him greatly!! Add another DE high in the draft to top it off, if you ask me....