What do you do with your loose change?

bbb

We had a guy that was once hard core homeless speak at our church ... one of the scams that stuck with me was he and a buddy would take a hamburger that they had a bite or two of on top of a newspaper near the top of a trash can. When someone wealthy looking - especially a woman - passed by they would "rummage" the hamburger out an start eating it (he said small bites to make it last). He said people nearly always gave them money when they saw the act.

At least some are creative about it. Back when I was in college I always used to see this guy begging for change while listening to music on his portable CD player (which were still widely used at that point). He'd then hop on his nice looking bike and ride off. That's not exactly the image you want to project if you want some spare change.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TD Bank here in the northeast definitely lives up to their motto as being "the most convenient bank". They are open until 7pm, sometimes 8pm even on Saturdays. And they're open on Sundays. And they have "Penny", the automatic coin counter that is free for TD Bank customers.

Sometimes I feel embarassed going in there with a coffee can full of coins and insidiously feeding them into the machine. But it's all good after you receive the printed voucher and redeem it for cash.

We had a guy that was once hard core homeless speak at our church ... one of the scams that stuck with me was he and a buddy would take a hamburger that they had a bite or two of on top of a newspaper near the top of a trash can. When someone wealthy looking - especially a woman - passed by they would "rummage" the hamburger out an start eating it (he said small bites to make it last). He said people nearly always gave them money when they saw the act.

That doesn't work here. We're numb to their ****. If I saw someone here doing that I would just shrug my shoulders and thank god he wasn't shitting on the sidewalk.

TD Bank here in the northeast definitely lives up to their motto as being "the most convenient bank". They are open until 7pm, sometimes 8pm even on Saturdays. And they're open on Sundays. And they have "Penny", the automatic coin counter that is free for TD Bank customers.

Sometimes I feel embarassed going in there with a coffee can full of coins and insidiously feeding them into the machine. But it's all good after you receive the printed voucher and redeem it for cash.

Now this is what I'm looking for!.....I don't know how it will be when First Niagara takes over the branches. But, HSBC bills themselves as "the world's neighborhood bank" or something like that. But, they constantly move people in and out of branches. Not only does it annoy me when they move a hot chick out, but you develop a relationship with a manager, knowing that they know their **** and they are your go-to person when something is up, and then they're gone.

But, then they took the great step of cutting their hours last year. I wonder how many times the security camera caught this - opening door with abandon, arm yanked out because door is stuck shut, look at watch, did I not turn the clock, wtf is going on, look at hours sign - say WTF - I did and saw it happen countless times.

For them to have Penny or a free coin counter by any other name would be way too much to ask.

My wife and I usually roll our coins together… to remind us of all the old times and to not take things for granted.

We'll sit opposite each other at the round table with a drink and dump all the coins out of our change jars.

First we make the rough piles, quarters, dimes, nickels, pennies and after we've divvied them that way we make the stacks 40 quarters, 50 dimes, 40 nickels, and 50 pennies.

Banks still give out the paper rolls so we do that too.

It's just a way to do something together, kind of a ritual. We have fun alternately being purposeful and reflective.

Even with hundreds of dollars in change it goes quickly with two people.

I can't imagine paying someone to count my money unless it was my nephews and nieces to give them something to do.

I'll spend money to have fun but not for someone to count my money.

We try to buy something nice that we both want with the payoff.

Looks like this year it'll be a Sodastream.

I'd throw up on my shoes if I saw "the act!" :sick:

Couple of things here

I am truly amazed at how many talk about extended hours, branch personal etc at your banks. I have no earthly clue when my bank is open, who works there, who the branch manager is etc.Matter of fact, I dont believe I have been in a bank in at least 5 years..maybe more. I must just be way more hip and cool than all you old farts on this board :worthy::thumbsup:

Next, tennboy had no idea you were in Johnson City. I am in Abingdon from time time..next time i will ping and we can go get a pop.

I never give exact change, even if it's 1 cent, I'll take the 99 cents back.

I do this all the time and in about a year I get $100 to $150 in my Gatorade coin bottles. This

is with using my debit card mostly. I wonder how much I could save if I used cash exclusively?

Used to be able to go to First Niagara and cash in for free. Of course, they stopped it. Why would my

bank do something for me for free. Gotta charge the fee's baby!

Now I use Coinstar. Hate paying them, but can't stand rolling coin. The scuz you get on your

hands is kinda gross.

I gotta ask how often do you folks find yourself with enough change to roll or take to a bank? I've been spending money for, oh 40 years or so and the only time I had enough money to roll or take to the bank was when I was 12 and had a paper route.

I gotta ask how often do you folks find yourself with enough change to roll or take to a bank? I've been spending money for, oh 40 years or so and the only time I had enough money to roll or take to the bank was when I was 12 and had a paper route.

I beat up busking guitarists and take the coins from their cases.

Hey, I heard that you are coming to the East Coast. Let me know if you need any tips - places to eat, things to do, that kind of stuff........Maybe we can get together and roll my coins, or watch you toss yours into fountains..

I put mine here: http://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-Stay-Puft-Marshmallow-Bank/dp/B001UUSKD8

When he's full I use Coinstar. They don't take a cut if you sign up to get a gift certificate from one of the different retailer options (I usually get an Amazon gift certificate.)

At the end of every day I empty my pockets. After a year I usually have about 100$.

Really? Where do you sign up for the gift certificates?

Just go to their website here and sign up to get emails. You don't need to sign up, but they kick you an email every month or so with whomever is doing no-fee cards, so you just go to the nearest location, use the touchscreen to determine the gift card you want to apply your coins to, and it prints out a receipt.

I keep a jar in my office, and right around November the emails heat up and you tend to get more options than usual. I typically have about $150 in coins each year, get either an Amazon or ToysRUs card, and use it for Christmas shopping. You can almost ALWAYS get an Amazon card, and often times an iTunes card.

Note#1: It's not a gift card like you buy at the store. It's just a printed receipt with a code on it you can use online or at the store.

Note #2: I'm in California, so while standing at the machine, I find it especially fun to rub some coins together while mumbling loudly about how I took all this loot off the back of the 99%, and then let out a loud Muwahahahaha while twirling my Snidely Whiplash mustache as I wait for my receipt to print. It feels a little weird at first, but it fills a stereotype and makes most Californians pitch tents in parks.

Edited by LABillzFan

There's a bum in SF that holds a sign that says "I bet you can't hit me with a quarter." Brilliant!!

There's a pizza joint in Killington who's ad says they can turn your unwanted cash into all kinds of tasty meals and drinks. So come here and bring your unwanted cash.

Now for a useful tip...

Wegman's will count (via machines) and give you cash minus 10% which they donate to charity, or give you 100% if you take it as a Wegman's gift card.

Hey, I heard that you are coming to the East Coast. Let me know if you need any tips - places to eat, things to do, that kind of stuff........Maybe we can get together and roll my coins, or watch you toss yours into fountains..

That's the thing about that damn Jim, always asking for tips about eating and places to go. :w00t:

I was just thinking about that annual topic from him the other day and thinking we might be getting close.