NFL racism

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um... isn't that the OP's point? That these rich white owners only want to hire white GMs and coaches?

Anyone trying to make that point now should be laughed at and ridiculed... the progress that has been made as I pointed out above proves this to be a fallacy.

Whatever happened to the best man for the job? Regardless of race???

We're almost the minority, if not now... this victimization line has grown tiring. It makes me now want to root for the Latino community to moonshot forward to prove a point- it is not your race, but what you do in LIFE.

How the hell does Mularkey get another gig at HC? Brian Schottenheimer gets to interview for HC job while at the same time being fired by the Jets. Perry Fewell and the NY Giants D overwhelm Mularkey's offense and he gets no shot. Gailey keeps his job despite 8 and 7 game losing streaks. Raheem Morris is one year removed from a 10-6 season and he gets fired. Buffalo would kill for a ten win season. The Raiders and especially Al Davis deserve special credit for giving minority coaches a chance and even they let go of Hue Jackson after just missing out on the playoffs(yes I know new GM). Wade Phillips has proven he can coach one hell of a defense but does he deserve yet another HC job?

The Steelers chose Tomlin over Whisenhunt and Grimm. Are there no other Tomlin's out there that teams would be willing to give a shot?

there is racisim in the world.

sports are in the world

there is racisim in sports

That being said if you are looking for places to break down barriers, your a little late with this one.

Not for nothing but you do realize Hue Jackson was fired by a black GM right? :wallbash:

And I think this is a huge step forward. But it is complete garbage to pretend like the NFL wasn't a good ol' boy network for a while. It took the Rooney rule for some of these guys to get chances in the first place. The Steelers even put their money where their mouth was and hired Tomlin with basically no head coaching experience. He has turned into one of the best coaches in the NFL. Additionally, some of the best GMs happen to be African Africans (Rick Smith, Ozzie Newsome, Jerry Reese).

So pretending racism doesn't exist is completely wrong. However, a black GM firing a black coach is progress in a strange way.

Reggie Robi was the last one that I can remember, that is kind of weird. White men can't jump, and I guess black men can't punt.

Reggie Roby was amazing and he wore a watch.

And I think this is a huge step forward. But it is complete garbage to pretend like the NFL wasn't a good ol' boy network for a while. It took the Rooney rule for some of these guys to get chances in the first place. The Steelers even put their money where their mouth was and hired Tomlin with basically no head coaching experience. He has turned into one of the best coaches in the NFL. Additionally, some of the best GMs happen to be African Africans (Rick Smith, Ozzie Newsome, Jerry Reese).

So pretending racism doesn't exist is completely wrong. However, a black GM firing a black coach is progress in a strange way.

Reggie Roby was amazing and he wore a watch.

All of them do, how do you think that they calculate hang time. Let's see now, one Mississippi, two....

Amzing he was.

Anyone trying to make that point now should be laughed at and ridiculed... the progress that has been made as I pointed out above proves this to be a fallacy.

We're almost the minority, if not now... this victimization line has grown tiring. It makes me now want to root for the Latino community to moonshot forward to prove a point- it is not your race, but what you do in LIFE.

According to the US Census Bureau, 72.4% of the population is white. The percentage for non-hispanic whites is 63.7%. So, no, whites are not "almost the minority, if not now". I am tired of the victimization

thing as well but only to the extent it is overused to the point that it cheapens the whole issue. False or exaggerated claims of racism lead to real claims of racism being taken less seriously than they deserve.

I would add however that there are an awful lot of whites who are doing the whining about how they are the ones being discriminated against based on a false belief that they are "almost the minority".

I think that the NFL has made huge strides on this issue and am confident that they will continue to do so. It is easy to forget that the progress made only happened because a lot people called the NFL to task

for what was happening. They were mocked and criticized by many for doing so but credit them for not being silent and the NFL for listening.

Census Bureau

Um... isn't that the OP's point? That these rich white owners only want to hire white GMs and coaches?

That's not what I'm trying to say. I'm trying to say that as long as the Rooney Rule is followed, dont complain when a white guy is hired.

Although I agree with the spirit of the Rooney Rule I'm not a huge fan of it. It seems many times teams know who they want and they have to give token interviews to satisfy the rule. It seems a waste of time for some black coaches to interview for all of these jobs they know they have no shot of getting. I hope they do as someone stated earlier use it as a learning experience. It would be nice to not need this rule and know that the best man for the job gets it regardless of race. That is when it won't be debatable whether or not racism exists in the nfl.

I'm asking this question for real and not sarcastically - Since the Chiefs hired Crennel and did so after he was the interim does that change things? If you hire a black coach do you need to interview a white one? If you hire your interim regardless of race do you have to follow the Rooney rule?

edit: I found the answers

The rule does not apply if an assistant coach has language in his contract guaranteeing him the head coaching job in case of an opening.[5] For example, this was the case when Mike Martz took over as head coach of the St. Louis Rams before the 2000 season. Also, the rule does not apply if the assistant coach taking over the head position is a minority, as was the case with Mike Singletary and the San Francisco 49ers in late 2008.[6]

As of June 15, 2009, Rooney Rule requirements now apply to all searches for senior football operations positions within the NFL, regardless of a team's title for that position. It now also includes all ethnic minorities, not just African Americans.

Again back to the spirit of the rule shouldn't a white person have to be interviewed as well to promote fairness? :nana:

Edited by section122