The Sabres

As much as it would hurt to scuttle the season, I say ride it out. If they tank, clean house. Fire Regier, hire Rick Dudley, let him decide on Ruff. IMO it would not make Pegula and the Sabres look very good if they fired Ruff right after extending him. Better to let a new GM do it.

PTR

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as it would hurt to scuttle the season, I say ride it out. If they tank, clean house. Fire Regier, hire Rick Dudley, let him decide on Ruff. IMO it would not make Pegula and the Sabres look very good if they fired Ruff right after extending him. Better to let a new GM do it.

PTR

The reality that this team isn't going to the playoffs is sinking in for most, I think. Not that just making the playoffs should be the ultimate goal, but how many more embarassing games like last nights' can they have, witout making any real change? I feel for Miller, and this is far from all his fault, but they can't keep putting him out there on the ice every night, he just looks awful...whatever trade value he might have dwindles with every soft goal, and look of bewilderment he shows when he lets on in.

I am fully behind Pegula, and I understand what you are saying, but First Niagara is going to look and feel like a mausoleum if the owner doesn't do anything...I know that may be short-sighted, but they must know, now, there are at least 3 or 4 guys they just don't need anymore. Buffalo fans are used to watching kids coming up,struggling... but there are still a lot of home games left. I just don't see how he can sit on his hands and make no moves.

Edited by Buftex

Sully's latest hatchet job is throwing blame at Miller for this mess. While Miller has not been sharp, the play of the rest of the team has been terrible in front of him. Maybe Miller is fed up with bailing his guys out? Especially after the Lucic incident. Throw in being 3,000+ miles away from his hot new wife and you have what you have.

PTR

Sully's latest hatchet job is throwing blame at Miller for this mess. While Miller has not been sharp, the play of the rest of the team has been terrible in front of him. Maybe Miller is fed up with bailing his guys out? Especially after the Lucic incident. Throw in being 3,000+ miles away from his hot new wife and you have what you have.

PTR

I posted this in another thread...Miller on Monday night...whatever the cause of the woes are, he sounds like a guy who is becoming a little unravled.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH/Miller-Twists-In-Wind/6/41391

I think the fact we havent won back to back since around the time of the Lucic hit cant be ignored.

Miller got run and no one came to his defense. I don't think he has the respect of his teammates and this made it painfully evident. The team has no enthusiasm to support him, and indeed they seem to play more inspired in front of Enroth.

I believe the team may be tired of Miller's pouty act, and I can't really blame them. He /never/ looks like he's having any fun - ever.

I think the fact we havent won back to back since around the time of the Lucic hit cant be ignored.

Miller got run and no one came to his defense. I don't think he has the respect of his teammates and this made it painfully evident. The team has no enthusiasm to support him, and indeed they seem to play more inspired in front of Enroth.

I believe the team may be tired of Miller's pouty act, and I can't really blame them. He /never/ looks like he's having any fun - ever.

Only thing is, Miller was not playing well before the Lucic hit, either.

I know Miller has been great at times, but he seems to have slumps every year, and this year, he just doesn't seem to be getting out of it, things just keep getting worse for him. Of course, the guys in front of him have not helped much either, way too many turnovers...but, when Miller was great, he stopped most of them...there was a time when he was money in most one on one situations...now, just go high, glove side, and it is a goal.

I would not be shocked, were Miller traded, to see him come back to being one of the better goaltenders in the league again. It just doesn't seem to be happening for him in Buffalo. It is painful to watch him struggle like this. If they don't trade him, a few weeks in Rochester might do him wonders...Enroth has played as well as you can hope, most starts.

I'm not even sure Miller is the guy to move or not. But Tampa needs a goalie and they aren't going anywhere this season. Could get some nice draft picks off of them.

IIRC, Miller has a "no-trade" clause...so he would have to approve the city he was traded to. I could be wrong on that, but I would assume he would want to go West, if at all.

IIRC, Miller has a "no-trade" clause...so he would have to approve the city he was traded to. I could be wrong on that, but I would assume he would want to go West, if at all.

He has one of those limited no trade clauses where he can list 8 teams he does not want to go to.

Yeah It Is Time for a switch, coach first, GM after the season. Miller can stay but some time out of the net for him would be good. They need fire burning under everyone's butts, trades and salary dump at the deadline. The funny thing is they are not that many points out of the POs but I still feel this way because they will just be in them for a few games or 2nd round at very most (if they even are good enough to make them).

Just to lighten up the thread a bit. Even if your team wins the Championship, it doesn't change the fact your fans are aholes. Scroll down the page to the Bruins fan article.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/

This is where you would get the response that one idiot does not define a fanbase. The problem is there are thousands more where that guy came from.

Yeah It Is Time for a switch, coach first, GM after the season. Miller can stay but some time out of the net for him would be good. They need fire burning under everyone's butts, trades and salary dump at the deadline. The funny thing is they are not that many points out of the POs but I still feel this way because they will just be in them for a few games or 2nd round at very most (if they even are good enough to make them).

No, you can't fire the coach, and then the GM. The GM usually picks the coach. I say GM, first. Then, if the new GM thins the coach should go, you follow up. I really hate talking about this, cuz I really like Lindy Ruff...I have no doubt, should he be fired, he gets hired pretty quickly (unless he chooses to wait for the right spot) and succeeds. Unfortunately, it just doesn't seem to be working with him, and these players anymore. The core of this team has been together too long to be playing like this, and not think something is wrong.

Miller had a good game tonight. Stopped 28 of 30. Didn't get any offensive support, so they lost 2-1...

...what? What do you mean "It's only the end of the second period?" Miller's faced 30 shots in two periods???? Does this team even have a defense?

Miller had a good game tonight. Stopped 28 of 30. Didn't get any offensive support, so they lost 2-1...

...what? What do you mean "It's only the end of the second period?" Miller's faced 30 shots in two periods???? Does this team even have a defense?

When Weber has the puck in the Sabres end I get the same feeling I used to get when Losman and Edwards dropped back to pass.