The Sabres

Miller had a good game tonight. Stopped 28 of 30. Didn't get any offensive support, so they lost 2-1...

...what? What do you mean "It's only the end of the second period?" Miller's faced 30 shots in two periods???? Does this team even have a defense?

I am embarrassed to say, I dozed off right at the beginning of the third period... goes back to my question, even in good seasons, since Ruff has been there, how is it that nearly every single game, they are out-shot?

Ryan did look good...I really thought they would snap this losing streak tonight...a road game, in a very loud building...ah well... sadness accrues.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am embarrassed to say, I dozed off right at the beginning of the third period... goes back to my question, even in good seasons, since Ruff has been there, how is it that nearly every single game, they are out-shot?

Ryan did look good...I really thought they would snap this losing streak tonight...a road game, in a very loud building...ah well... sadness accrues.

They used to give up a lot of low percentage perimeter shots. It really wasn't a big deal. Now is a completely different story though.

"Sabres are overdue for change at GM"

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/article714961.ece

Gleason is right. I am not normally one who rushes to the conclusion that coaches and/or GM's "need to be fired", but given the Sabres situation, a change is really needed at those levels...at the very least GM. Get rid of Darcy now, give your new GM time to evaluate the roster, and work the trade deadline. It is pretty obvious this team isn't going to the postseason this year. That gives the new GM time, too, to evaluate Lindy and his players working situation.

What I like about what Gleason said (and something I have been saying for a while), is that the Sabres GM has always had this attitude that his methods shouldn't be questioned, he should be beyond reproach, because, after all, look at all the success the Sabres have had! Gleason mentions how Darcy, and other GM's would snicker at how little bang for their buck the Rangers have gotten over the years, overspending for talent...and here, Darcy, for the first time, maybe, has an open check-book, and puts together, perhaps (IMO) the worst "team" of his 15 year tenure in Buffalo. Forget the Briere and Drury debacles...what about the Tallinder and Lydman screw-ups? Those guys had their issues from time to time, but the Sabres have never looked worse, in my memory, in their own end.

Last night, Miller played, maybe, his best game of the year, but, again, they just can't get goals when they need them. I will give them a little credit though, it is the first time in almost 2 months the Sabres didn't look like one of the very worst teams in the league. Not sure why that was. St Louis has been on fire this season...Sabres gave them a good effort...at least until they fell behind..at which point they started to wilt. Not sure if I should chalk the improved effort up to the Sabres having a pulse, however feint, or , maybe St Louis trying to coast a little bit early on, against an unfamiliar opponent.

Edited by Buftex

My attitude is that if you're a paying customer of Pegulavile, step right up and B word to management. If you aren't, and don't spend a dime on the product, STFU.

The sense that the Sabres are a public utility--and the outrage pouring forth over the team's failings--is getting ridiculous. Then again, as Antonin Scalia just said about unlimited political advertising, "don't like it, turn off the TV..."

My attitude is that if you're a paying customer of Pegulavile, step right up and B word to management. If you aren't, and don't spend a dime on the product, STFU.

The sense that the Sabres are a public utility--and the outrage pouring forth over the team's failings--is getting ridiculous. Then again, as Antonin Scalia just said about unlimited political advertising, "don't like it, turn off the TV..."

Okie-doke!

Thats about how many shots I needed to maintain interest in that barn burner.

I basically slept through it until overtime ended..."Oh, great, a shootout! We finally get to see some shots on goal!"

And even then, with that wide arc he took, I expected Pominville to not get the shot off.

I basically slept through it until overtime ended..."Oh, great, a shootout! We finally get to see some shots on goal!"

And even then, with that wide arc he took, I expected Pominville to not get the shot off.

That was funny...Pomminville almost lost the puck, completely at the start of his run...nice shot though! I had to watch the New Jersey feed of the game, their announcers are insufferable Devil homers...when they showed the first 3 guys who would be taking the penalty shots, they gloated about how great the Devils lineup was for these things, and then, when they got to the Sabres, the announcer says "1-3 for Buffalo, not too bad...big drop off after that." I loved that Gerbe got the winner...

That was funny...Pomminville almost lost the puck, completely at the start of his run...nice shot though! I had to watch the New Jersey feed of the game, their announcers are insufferable Devil homers...when they showed the first 3 guys who would be taking the penalty shots, they gloated about how great the Devils lineup was for these things, and then, when they got to the Sabres, the announcer says "1-3 for Buffalo, not too bad...big drop off after that." I loved that Gerbe got the winner...

Local announce teams are supposed to be homers though. They broadcast directly to the fanbase. The thing that really bugged me about that Devils team though was the fake tv voice the play-by-play guy was using. It sounded like he was doing a cheap Vin Scully ripoff. And then there's that caveman Ken Daneyko in the intermissions. "Ken smash!"

Local announce teams are supposed to be homers though. They broadcast directly to the fanbase. The thing that really bugged me about that Devils team though was the fake tv voice the play-by-play guy was using. It sounded like he was doing a cheap Vin Scully ripoff. And then there's that caveman Ken Daneyko in the intermissions. "Ken smash!"

Oh yeah, I get that, they are supposed to be homers, I am a Celtics fan...Tommy Heinson defines the word "homer". But, when you listen, to say, Rick Jeanerett, you know he is a Sabres guy, but he doesn't diparage the other team any more than he does the Sabres, and I have not heard any Sabres color guys do that. In fact, with Center Ice, I often have to watch the Sabres games with the "other" teams broadcasters, and, by and large, most are not as over the top as the Devils guys...Bruins guys are pretty bad...

I was really impressed with the Blues broadcast. Darren Pang doing color, and a play by play guy I can't remember. But, Pang spoke at length about the Sabres woes, without sounding like a cheap shot artist. Pang does national broadcasts too, so, perhaps I am expecting too much out of local guys. It doesn't normally bother me (in fact, I like it sometimes) but for some reason the Devils guys were really getting under my skin.

Oh yeah, I get that, they are supposed to be homers, I am a Celtics fan...Tommy Heinson defines the word "homer". But, when you listen, to say, Rick Jeanerett, you know he is a Sabres guy, but he doesn't diparage the other team any more than he does the Sabres, and I have not heard any Sabres color guys do that. In fact, with Center Ice, I often have to watch the Sabres games with the "other" teams broadcasters, and, by and large, most are not as over the top as the Devils guys...Bruins guys are pretty bad...

I was really impressed with the Blues broadcast. Darren Pang doing color, and a play by play guy I can't remember. But, Pang spoke at length about the Sabres woes, without sounding like a cheap shot artist. Pang does national broadcasts too, so, perhaps I am expecting too much out of local guys. It doesn't normally bother me (in fact, I like it sometimes) but for some reason the Devils guys were really getting under my skin.

And Canadian announcing teams. From what I've listened to, then generally tend to be hockey fans first, franchise fans second. And while the Caps team tries to be even-handed, Craig Laughlin seems to have taken one too many pucks to the head to make a coherent point.

The Boston announcers are the worst (which, now that I think of it, goes without saying in any sport).

And Canadian announcing teams. From what I've listened to, then generally tend to be hockey fans first, franchise fans second. And while the Caps team tries to be even-handed, Craig Laughlin seems to have taken one too many pucks to the head to make a coherent point.

The Boston announcers are the worst (which, now that I think of it, goes without saying in any sport).

I want the Bruins to win the Cup. My daughter will get her money back for her dining room table and some other furniture.

GO Sabres, I think we need a new owner . What has he done for this team???:wallbash::lol:

It depends on which canadian team you're talking about. Everything up there, even their national broadcasts seem to be so Toronto-centric. The only team broadcast from up there that I can remember is Ottawa and (unless they've updated the announce team this year) those guys can be tough to listen to as a non-Sens fan. I tend to get national (CBC and TSN) broadcasts when watching Canadian teams, so they're semi-neutral already.

And yes, Jack Edwards has to be the worst out there. The only thing even remotely interesting about his calling of a game is when he unwittingly uses terms like "reach around".

ZzZzzz. Anything happen yet ? I'm still impatiently waiting for a shakeup.

It looks like Pegula is going to let Darcy and company ride this thing out...I assume there will be some sort of trade before the deadline...but anything else will happen, if at all, after the season. As much as this edition of the Sabres depresses me, and pisses me off, I really don't think they are one of the very worst teams in the league...I expect them to wake up and make a run for the final playoff spot. History says they won't be able to quite get there.

• 3 weeks later...