The Sabres

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

suck.

I have been just tuning in for the last period for about a month...somehow, watching the Sabres suck 3-4 times a week is less tolerable than watching the Bills suck once a week...tonight, however, I watched the whole game. I figured if they can't get up for Toronto, there really is no hope. It isn't that they are playing sooo bad, they just cannot score a freaking goal to save their lives. If they get anything less than a stellar effort from their goaltender, they have no chance. Lindy just seems resigned to the situation. I think they need a change, big time. I still am excited about Pegula, and I think something will happen. I really like Lindy Ruff, and I am sure he will do well somewhere else (he would get hired with no problem), but it just isn't working with these guys. I think they should be willing to trade anyone (except Vanek, unless it was a doozy of an offer), at this point, for a physical forward who can skate, and/or a real topline NHL center. Centers won't come cheap, but they aren't going anywhere right now. Thing that sucks, IMO, this team has some talent...to think that they may finish without a playoff spot, this season, is almost unfathomable...

IMO, this is what happens when you throw a bunch of disparate parts together… when you build a team with a spending mandate instead of patience and wisdom.

Don't get me wrong, I am so happy Pegula bought the team and I think the Sabres will eventually corner success but trying to buy a championship overnight is never a successful formula.

The Miami Heat are the latest team which couldn't do it and the hockey players that the Sabres have aren't anywhere near as talented as James, Wade and Bosch are as basketball players.

I'd have preferred that Regier was given an opportunity to show his shrewdness and hockey savvy and build a winner over a course of 2-3 seasons than just throw money at the wall and see if anything sticks.

IMO, this is what happens when you throw a bunch of disparate parts together… when you build a team with a spending mandate instead of patience and wisdom.

Don't get me wrong, I am so happy Pegula bought the team and I think the Sabres will eventually corner success but trying to buy a championship overnight is never a successful formula.

The Miami Heat are the latest team which couldn't do it and the hockey players that the Sabres have aren't anywhere near as talented as James, Wade and Bosch are as basketball players.

I'd have preferred that Regier was given an opportunity to show his shrewdness and hockey savvy and build a winner over a course of 2-3 seasons than just throw money at the wall and see if anything sticks.

I hear you, but, you know, really, the only "big-money" guy they signed, that was a risk, was Lleno. He may still come around, but, up to now, has shown flashes, but has mostly been invisible. He may not be a bad part, but they need more. Regehr has been solid, IMO, and Erhoff is the sort of defensemen they have been missing since Campbell left. So, I still think those two guys are good signings. Their biggest need is, still, a bonafide #1 or #2 center.

I hear you, but, you know, really, the only "big-money" guy they signed, that was a risk, was Lleno. He may still come around, but, up to now, has shown flashes, but has mostly been invisible. He may not be a bad part, but they need more. Regehr has been solid, IMO, and Erhoff is the sort of defensemen they have been missing since Campbell left. So, I still think those two guys are good signings. Their biggest need is, still, a bonafide #1 or #2 center.

But aren't they now pinned up against the salary cap?

For a .500 team this is not a good position to be in.

I wonder how long it takes to get out of cap hell in the NHL.

Yes they are.

They have several contracts coming off the books next year and a billionaire owner that could send a contract or 3 to the minors if necessary to make a great deal today.

It doesn't take long at all to get out of cap jail when you've got a loaded owner that wants to win.

Leino always has and always will be a playoff performer only..two years ago Detroit traded him to Flyers for a bag of pucks and he exploded in their run to the Finals. Last year he was mediocre in the regular season, but had another great post season..

Unfortunately, looks we will not get to see him at his best..this team is dead right now..no energy, everybody waiting for someone else to make a play, everybody waiting for the trade, firing etc that is getting closer to inevitable the way these guys are playing

Yes, that is the question. I think the Sabres need to make some deals, but I won't pretend to understand all the salary cap ramifications of deals in the NHL. For a while there, part of what I was enjoying so much about the NHL was not having to be concerned about the "business side" of things, as is necessary to follow the NFL.

I would seriously look into trading Miller. If nothing else, at this point, he is a highly visible NHL star. Like Lindy Ruff, a change of scenery might be the best thing for him. I really like both these guys, but they are just treading water, and there doesn't seem to be any releif in sight.

Miller has denied any interest in being traded, but there were rumors earlier this season that he was pining to go to the West Coast, where his wife lives. He clearly is not the same Ryan Miller of a few years ago. He played pretty well last night, against the Leafs, but still let in two goals that the Miller of old would not have, most nights.

I would also look into seeing if they can trade Roy. The guy has undeniable talent, but, for some reason, his success seems to curb the success of others on the team. As talented, and as hot as he can be, they seem to be better off without him. Somebody could use him. The Sabres need another top center, or need to start developing one. I realize they don't grow on trees.

And, this may sound crazy, but I would be willing to offer Tyler Meyer in a trade too...again, I like the kid, but I am starting to wonder if he is ever going to be as dominant a defensemen as his size suggests he should be.

Leino always has and always will be a playoff performer only..two years ago Detroit traded him to Flyers for a bag of pucks and he exploded in their run to the Finals. Last year he was mediocre in the regular season, but had another great post season..

Unfortunately, looks we will not get to see him at his best..this team is dead right now..no energy, everybody waiting for someone else to make a play, everybody waiting for the trade, firing etc that is getting closer to inevitable the way these guys are playing

Agreed. It just seems like they have fallen into this pattern of falling down by two goals early, and never being able to catch up. Lindy just doesn't seem to have the same fire...maybe he is trying to play it cool with a team that is obviously lacking confidence (particularly Miller), but the coddling thing does not seem to be Lindy's strong suit.

Edited by Buftex

Pegula should have cleaned house when he acquired the team.

Unfortunately, he chose to keep Regier as the GM. Regier has created a team that mirrors him as a GM - timid, bland, passive, acted upon instead of initiating, etc etc etc.

Someone as successful as Terry Pegula has been in life must realize at this point that Regier has to go. If that means Ruff has to go too, so be it.

Keep in mind that far too many of those disparate parts have been called up from the minors due to injuries. As of last night, only four players have played every game (and pending Vanek's status, that number may be down to three next game). Tough to build any consistency and gel as a team when your roster changes weekly.

Which is not to say they haven't been cover-your-eyes awful...the defense, in particular, has SUCKED big-time. And the lack of effort by some of those guys (*cough* Stafford *cough*) is really starting to piss me off.

Pegula should have cleaned house when he acquired the team.

Unfortunately, he chose to keep Regier as the GM. Regier has created a team that mirrors him as a GM - timid, bland, passive, acted upon instead of initiating, etc etc etc.

Someone as successful as Terry Pegula has been in life must realize at this point that Regier has to go. If that means Ruff has to go too, so be it.

Regier didn't remove the edge that players like Gaustad and Stafford used to have earlier in their careers. Ruff did that.

Regier didn't remove the edge that players like Gaustad and Stafford used to have earlier in their careers. Ruff did that.

I'm not sure what edge Stafford ever had (career high of 51 PIMs in a season ) but, anyway, Regier has been GM for 15+ years. he drafted the players you mentioned and drafted or otherwise acquired everyone else on the team.

If you believe Ruff is the problem, Regier hired Ruff as the coach and has the power as GM to fire him, if he believes that is the problem.

But he does nothing as the season slips away.

I would be in favor of R&R being gone... I wouldn't have thought that before but the team is just so lacking... again. The injuries haven't helped but the team is flat... again. I saw enough of a flat team that should be (at least good enough to make the POs) good last year. There are other GMs and coaches who would be able to do something around this core. Some trades wouldn't hurt either and cap hell is beatable in the NHL, there are options.

I have always been a Ruff fan. I never would have even considered wanting to see him gone. But, about 3 weeks ago, or so, when the Sabres were on Versus (against Philly IIRC) the "on-ice" reporter relayed something happening on the Sabres bench, during a break in the action.

They said that Ruff was bitching at Vanek (who, I thought was having a strong game), and was heard saying "you look at me when I am talking to you...don't look at the ice". For some reason that really bothered me.

Vanek has been there for what? Five seasons? He is arguably the best player on the team. It seems that Ruff has been arguing with this guy as long as he has been here. Maybe that is what has made Vanek a better player, but, at this point, you would think Vanek would be buying into Ruff's system, and would be selling his younger teammates into it. There have always been whispers that Ruff doesn't handle skilled players like Vanek as well as guys like Gaustad, or Adam Mair.

I do think this team has some real talent, and I find it mind-boggling that they could conceivably miss the playoffs, at this point. Hockey is one sport where in-season coaching changes tend to make a big impact. It is a lot of the same old players, with the same old problems...maybe a new set of eyes would be a good thing.

I'm not sure what edge Stafford ever had (career high of 51 PIMs in a season ) but, anyway, Regier has been GM for 15+ years. he drafted the players you mentioned and drafted or otherwise acquired everyone else on the team.

If you believe Ruff is the problem, Regier hired Ruff as the coach and has the power as GM to fire him, if he believes that is the problem.

But he does nothing as the season slips away.

When Stafford first broke in he was a guy who could use his body to his advantage. It was evident in his days at North Dakota. When I say edge I don't just mean the physical punch throwing drone that so many people think is completely necessary out of every single NHL player. I mean a player with a specific skill set that is a major asset to any team. Whatever he had, it's not there now. The same can be said about so many other players on this team right now. The vast majority of this team is underperforming. That falls directly on the guy who is supposed to motivate these players and get as much out of them on the ice as possible... the head coach.

Now if Regier fails to realize this and won't make that change, then yes, he should be sent packing as well.

The sabres are sinking faster than the Costa concirdia.

They need to shake that team to the core. If they cent get something doing they should unload as many under performing players as possible while stock piling draft picks and prospects while freeing up salary cap space. That would be the fastest way to remake this team for next year

Need a new owner. What heck has he done. Why did he bother to buy team.

Are you joking?