Jason Peters -- First Team All-Pro

With recent in season signings, hopefully the Bills have learned their lesson in not letting star players go.

Of course they learned their lesson. That is why we locked up SJ to a decent contract last offseason and now we cannot lose is services.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather than discuss Peters as a top notch OLT, an analysis of that trade is overdue. The Bills dealt their starting OLT for a late first, fourth, and sixth round picks. Those players turned out to be Eric Wood, Shawn Nelson, and Danny Batten. One of those players starts at an easier to find position (center) while Nelson is out of the NFL, and Batten appears to be a role player. The real benefit was that Buffalo got out from having to pay a large salary to one of their best players, and replaced it three relatively small rookie deals.

It's been more than four years since the Bills signed anyone to big money. I'm referring to Dockery and Schobel. Since that time they've signed a some moderate guaranteed money contracts like Fitzpatrick, K. Williams, McGee, Stroud, etc. but nothing like what Peters was demanding. And now, he lived up to it as an All-Pro and people continue lambasting the player. The move was a salary dump and the trade did not bring equal value to the team in personnel. Yet another Bills blunder. Is Stevie next, and if so, when they get nothing in return, it'll be another purge of salary.

Edited by BillsVet

good point. Fitz is Dan Marino reborn and both our rbs are Barry Sanders. :thumbsup:

Trust me, I know our oline isn't perfect. But it's just sad that some fans can't give them any credit. It's a good, young group that played really well this year despite a ton of injuries. Why is it so hard to give them credit?

They have some good players and some very good players many of whom have serious injury issues. Bell has had Microfracture knee surgery and he played in a total of 16 games in two seasons. Wood was hurt in college and he has had serious injuies in two of his pro years.

How much better would the Bills O-line be with Peters, considering the NFL ranks us #1? BTW the Eagles rank #11.

PTR

Promo, this is a tough question because it is impossible to prove one's answer, and you know this. But, let's try this:

The Bills had to wait years for Bell to develop into a good OLT, which btw he is. But, he is almost always playing injured or out. This results in a rookie OT (Hairston) playing the left side. In a few years, he too might be "good," although he sure looks like a RT from where I sit.

When Bell is 100% healthy, he isn't as good as Peters. Not in run or pass blocking, and it isn't close. Games such as Cincy and the Giants were very close. Maybe with a star studded LT they could have put those games away. Don't ya think this is very possible Promo?

I am not asking you (or any poster) to like Jason Peters as a person after the bad blood between him and our favorite team. No problem. But, the trade was stupid and set this team back a long way. We had to wait years for our replacement to be good at this crucial position, and he spends most of his time off the field, injured. Is anyone even sure that the Bills want to give Bell the big bucks?

Bottom line? You don't trade away a great LT. Not ever.

Promo, this is a tough question because it is impossible to prove one's answer, and you know this. But, let's try this:

The Bills had to wait years for Bell to develop into a good OLT, which btw he is. But, he is almost always playing injured or out. This results in a rookie OT (Hairston) playing the left side. In a few years, he too might be "good," although he sure looks like a RT from where I sit.

When Bell is 100% healthy, he isn't as good as Peters. Not in run or pass blocking, and it isn't close. Games such as Cincy and the Giants were very close. Maybe with a star studded LT they could have put those games away. Don't ya think this is very possible Promo?

I am not asking you (or any poster) to like Jason Peters as a person after the bad blood between him and our favorite team. No problem. But, the trade was stupid and set this team back a long way. We had to wait years for our replacement to be good at this crucial position, and he spends most of his time off the field, injured. Is anyone even sure that the Bills want to give Bell the big bucks?

Bottom line? You don't trade away a great LT. Not ever.

Bell is not good

he just the best of what the Bills pretend to be LTs

He is only serviceable in the 2 second dump off passing game that Chan is forced to run to hide the mess that is the OL

Bell is weak and can not get push in the run game and gets overwhelmed by skilled pass rushers

Bell is not good

he just the best of what the Bills pretend to be LTs

He is only serviceable in the 2 second dump off passing game that Chan is forced to run to hide the mess that is the OL

Bell is weak and can not get push in the run game and gets overwhelmed by skilled pass rushers

When healthy, I would think Bell is at least close to middle of the pack. But think about this if you will. When is he healthy? I don't think that an unbiased fan could liken Bell to perhaps the best LT in football.

When healthy, I would think Bell is at least close to middle of the pack. But think about this if you will. When is he healthy? I don't think that an unbiased fan could liken Bell to perhaps the best LT in football.

I will always route for Bell if for no other reason than he is Karl Malones unwanted child from a discarded babymomma. But he is no Jason Peters.

He was EASILY the best left tackle in the entire league last year, notwithstanding that he was protecting a lefty QB - it didn't matter.

And keep in mind that as good as Wood has been, he hasn't seen the field nearly enough over the past 3 seasons. As of now, that trade was a complete debacle, as many of us predicted. Good organizations do not let premier LTs go in their prime.

The Bills are not a good organization.

Not sure he is EASILY the best LT in the league but he can be IF and WHEN he wants to be.

The Bills blew this one but lets not forget that they re-structured his contract once and then he came back to the well again. Peters and his agent are equally to blame as are the Bills for paying overpaying for mediocre players (Dockery and Walker) more than Peters.

The situation was much more complicated than the Bills simply refusing to pay him.

Not sure he is EASILY the best LT in the league but he can be IF and WHEN he wants to be.

The Bills blew this one but lets not forget that they re-structured his contract once and then he came back to the well again. Peters and his agent are equally to blame as are the Bills for paying overpaying for mediocre players (Dockery and Walker) more than Peters.

The situation was much more complicated than the Bills simply refusing to pay him.

Yet here we are screaming to overpay FAs because it's the only way to get them.

Nope, it was simple, the man wanted market value for his position and stature. restructured contract for RT. Once he proved himself dominant at LT, the contract needed to reflect that change, sorry, Peters was correct.

Now we will lose SJ... when we could have had him for a fair contract last off seasosn. It is ridiculous and horrible.

I venture to say that NO OTHER TEAM would have lost Peters.

Nope, it was simple, the man wanted market value for his position and stature. restructured contract for RT. Once he proved himself dominant at LT, the contract needed to reflect that change, sorry, Peters was correct.

Now we will lose SJ... when we could have had him for a fair contract last off seasosn. It is ridiculous and horrible.

I venture to say that NO OTHER TEAM would have lost Peters.

To be fair, Stevie had started like a dozen games in his career going into this year.

You hit the nail on the head. Last off season we could have had him for a reasonable bonus and contract. I guess they assumed he was going to suck this year?

Well, sometimes its hard to pull the trigger on a 35-40m contract with that little experience and still question marks. Not an elite athlete, steelers drop (and aftermath), being in the car with marshawn, heck - tweeting his junk, wasn't he demoted for a short time early last year? Both maturity and play had question marks. Looks like play is pretty good and maturity is pretty questionable. I'm not sure what they think of him still.

Edited by NoSaint

Bingo! I will never questioned the fact that Peters is one of the best LT in the league. But like Bob In STL mentions, they already re-structured his contract and Peters and his agent wanted more again. If i'm the Bills front office i`m thinking: We took this guy as an undrafted free agent TE , we turn him into a solid OT, we re-structure his contract that makes him a rich man, and this ungrateful POS wants more money again!!!

You don`t trade a young top LT in the NFL but the situation made it inevitable. There`s a lot we can blame on the Bills front office, but that trade i`m 100% behind them.

Let`s move on....

Edited by PeteBills4ever

Please do not say the All-Pro team is a popularity contest, it is not, at all. Look at all of the other starters. Some big names, some not, all of the guys that excelled that weren't expected to are near the top.

Peters is a great player and worth the money, and would have been on the Bills too.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/06/rodgers-tops-brees-easily-megatron-and-allen-lead-all-pro-voting/#more-177937

He's also a back stabbing piece of :censored: with no sense what so ever of loyalty !! Where would he have been if the Bills staff wouldn't have noticed his talent at a different position & nurtured that ? By now he would have been retired from the NFL or on a practice squad some where .

Him & Mcgahee are one & the same !!!

But that's what we get show the guy what he's all about & all's we got was grief from the guy because he was & will always be a greedy ingrateful turd !!

GOOD RIDENSE TO BAD RUBISH !!!!!

Edited by T master

I liked Peters and I'm always in favor of players getting as much as they can get. However, he handled his contract situation like a complete douche. He showed up out of shape at the start of the season and put other players' health as risk. While he got his fat butt in shape and rotated in and out of the lineup, the Bills started 4-0. The Bills' best record when PEters was a starter was 7-9. Even in his all pro season this year, the Eagles went 8-8 and lost to the Bills.

Peters won't have made one difference in the Bills' W-L record. And if both players could stay healthy, I'd take a Bell and Wood for Peters trade anyday of the week. LT is the most overrated position in the NFL. Let's turn the page. It's been 4 years now.

well said.

You don`t trade a young top LT in the NFL but the situation made it inevitable. There`s a lot we can blame on the Bills front office, but that trade i`m 100% behind them.

The Peters saga may be over, but the Bills are again faced with keeping one of their own, though a UFA and not under contract as Peters was. The point remains that Buffalo allows talent to walk out the door more frequently, and those players go onto success elsewhere. Fletcher, Peters, Greer, Milloy, and now perhaps Stevie Johnson without any replacement behind them. Each and every player was a salary purge, replaced then or later with a draft pick who cost considerably less. This sort of "team-building" doesn't work and is in place only because the true objective of the team is to be set up for maximum return on their sale.

Jason Peters had many negatives, not the least of which was his agent Eugene Parker. That said, the team was not justified, unless this was a financial purge, of jettisoning a top player at his position. If Stevie Johnson goes, nothing has changed at OBD in spite of the new GM. Nothing.

Bingo! I will never questioned the fact that Peters is one of the best LT in the league. But like Bob In STL mentions, they already re-structured his contract and Peters and his agent wanted more again. If i'm the Bills front office i`m thinking: We took this guy as an undrafted free agent TE , we turn him into a solid OT, we re-structure his contract that makes him a rich man, and this ungrateful POS wants more money again!!!

Let`s move on....

Again: they restructured his contract to pay him like an RT, and then flopped him to LT as soon as the ink dried. That justifiably pissed him off.