Say what you want about Chan Gailey

This is not a propaganda thread but more my feelings about him as a head coach, and how simply winning games affects how he is viewed. I personally think he has done very well with regards to getting the most out of players, putting together the right people on offense, especially the offensive line, and generally making it very well known that you either perform, or you sit.

at 21-0 and the team rolling, I was very impressed with his conviction in sitting Stevie Johnson for taking yet another idiotic celebration penalty. The guy is not perfect, but it took a lot of guts to do that. It's easy to question the offensive playcalling when you're losing, but if you look at the saints, the Packers, or even the paytiolets, the Bills attack was on par with creativity, and aggressiveness. When the game-plan is not executed according to the drawing, it's easy to say how his approach was too pass-happy, but if the team went 11-5 it wouldn't even be a discussion.

I was also on board with dumping malcontent marshawn lynch, and sending Lee evans out to pasture. He's going to coach the team and it's players the way he sees fit, and this franchise has not had that in years. While some of the blame has to fall on the coaches shoulders for some of the poor play, i don't think running this coach out of town is remotely the answer, and would be one of the dumbest moves the team could make in recent years.

For now, I am hoping the team stays the course, i think the ship is headed in the right direction, and with some depth and stronger defensive play, I think a corner can be turned. Constant turnover and rebuilding can't be good for any players, but I do think Chan is the right guy for the job, and if his players deliver, and they actually field a defense next year, we just might see the team become very relevant again.

This is not a propaganda thread but more my feelings about him as a head coach, and how simply winning games affects how he is viewed. I personally think he has done very well with regards to getting the most out of players, putting together the right people on offense, especially the offensive line, and generally making it very well known that you either perform, or you sit.

at 21-0 and the team rolling, I was very impressed with his conviction in sitting Stevie Johnson for taking yet another idiotic celebration penalty. The guy is not perfect, but it took a lot of guts to do that. It's easy to question the offensive playcalling when you're losing, but if you look at the saints, the Packers, or even the paytiolets, the Bills attack was on par with creativity, and aggressiveness. When the game-plan is not executed according to the drawing, it's easy to say how his approach was too pass-happy, but if the team went 11-5 it wouldn't even be a discussion.

I was also on board with dumping malcontent marshawn lynch, and sending Lee evans out to pasture. He's going to coach the team and it's players the way he sees fit, and this franchise has not had that in years. While some of the blame has to fall on the coaches shoulders for some of the poor play, i don't think running this coach out of town is remotely the answer, and would be one of the dumbest moves the team could make in recent years.

For now, I am hoping the team stays the course, i think the ship is headed in the right direction, and with some depth and stronger defensive play, I think a corner can be turned. Constant turnover and rebuilding can't be good for any players, but I do think Chan is the right guy for the job, and if his players deliver, and they actually field a defense next year, we just might see the team become very relevant again.

The parts I bolded I kind of take exception to. The first: They didn't go 11-5 and it was not the GB Packers talent out there. Running the ball more often would give us a more balanced attack, he needed to make adjustments in games and during the season that he just didn't seem to be able to do. Even early on running Fred more was an option we just didn't use enough. The talent and the D, I agree are a large part of why it didn't happen. After teams had our attack figured out, running 5 wide and only having 6 to block gave other teams options on defense.

Second: The blame does go on the coach when he can't/won't make adjustments. The 7 game losing streak was some of the worst football I have seen as a Bills fan and I have been one since the mid 60s. I do think he could be able to regain my trust, he has a uniqueness to his offensive philosophy. At times he needs to be open to trying other things like running until the other team takes away the run.

Third: a bunch of the other things you have mentioned here I put on Fitz (and the coach for getting the most out of him)in case of the Oline. And Nix in the case of players going (such as Lynch and Lee) and bringing in the Oline and TE guys he did.It is all a work in progress and yes I have some hope for next year but they gotta do the work this off season too. Then I will feel better about it all.

Edited by bowery4

This is his team. That includes the entire roster, and he had a hand in decisions that inlcluded getting rid of at least fiur players who could have helped us immensely this year, Lynch, Whitner, Incognito and Evans, when he didn't have competent replacements or depth to justify the decisions.

In the final analysis after two years he should be expected to build a competitive team. He has made some progress, but his going to a 3-4 without the personnel needed to play it (and we still don't have the personnel) his failure to improve the team through free agency.

Most of all its his failure to win games. The New England game was an embarassment of the highest order.

Say what you want about Chan...he's not proven to be a good coach. I imagine he is not going to be replaced until next year, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Chan will have a significant uphill battle to prove he remains the coach of the franchise after next season. Two reasons why I hold this thought:

He will be three years into a rebuild - generally thought to be more than enough time in today's NFL to right the ship. He has selected Fitz as his QB in a pass happy QB league. He will need to live with the fact that Fitz can win games but he sure can't lift up a team and carry it on his back. Time will also tell if the Bills go back to a 4-3. I think this is highly likely but it calls Gailey's initial decision making very much into question.

Nix will step down at some point in the near future and no secret that Whaley is positioned to take the reigns. Whaley may look for an opportunity to insert his own coach.

Wit that said I am a Gailey fan and I hope he has this team ready to take a large step forward next year.

Generally agree on your opinion of Chan. He's a class act and a stand-up guy. He does what he says he's gonna do.

However, Stevie was benched after his TD (14-0). On our next possession, CJ scored to make it 21-0. It was then the walls came tumbling down. The Pats scored. Chandler got hurt. We still managed to move the ball but missed a FG. The Pats scored again. Then Fitz threw a pic. We never recovered. We seemed to panic a little, and later on, a lot. We went from agressive play to timid play - it was palpable and as many have said, a microcosm of our season. However this was just the offense. The Defense was doing well, but then they yielded to Brady countless times and allowed a bunch of scores.

What no one in the "fire ..." threads realizes is that if they did another total overhaul of the coaching staff then no one with ANY shred of credibility as a coach is going to want to come to Buffalo to coach. The Raiders are going through it now. And to a certain extent the Bills are too, which is why Gailey was hired in the first place. The top tier guys said NO.

This is his team. That includes the entire roster, and he had a hand in decisions that inlcluded getting rid of at least fiur players who could have helped us immensely this year, Lynch, Whitner, Incognito and Evans, when he didn't have competent replacements or depth to justify the decisions.

In the final analysis after two years he should be expected to build a competitive team. He has made some progress, but his going to a 3-4 without the personnel needed to play it (and we still don't have the personnel) his failure to improve the team through free agency.

Most of all its his failure to win games. The New England game was an embarassment of the highest order.

Say what you want about Chan...he's not proven to be a good coach. I imagine he is not going to be replaced until next year, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Throw Hangartner into the mix too. You can also look at the Spiller choice in the opposite direction. How many players who would have had a positive impact on the team were bypassed to choose a RB (when it was one position where we were set)?

"if the team went 11-5 it wouldn't even be a discussion." Right there is the flaw in your thinking my friend. The fact is that they did not go 11-5, they went 6-10. Chan Gailey was a big reason they didn't go 11-5. His failure to adjust to what defenses were doing cost this team dearly during that 7 game losing streak. Many of those games were winnable games and he was unable to make the necessary adjustments and get his team over the hump in close winnable games. That is the mark of a bad coach. I was a big Gailey fan as well until the team completely fell apart during the second half of the season. Yes there were key injuries, but many of the problems were directly on his shoulders. He was out coached by opposing DC's in those games and that is why they lost. There are other contributing factors for sure, such as Fitz's poor play, but much of that can be attributed to Gailey's play calling as well.

You're absolutely right that winning makes a coach look genius. Take a look at what you wrote though. "If you look at the Saints, the Packers, or even the Patriots, the Bills attack was on par with creativity and aggressiveness"

Look carefully, and think about what creativity means to you in the context of football. Does creativity mean creating something that works well in a vacuum? Or does it mean making the most effective use of the players you have? What makes creative sense for an artist casting in bronze does not make most sense for an artist carving on stone.

The Patriots, Packers, and Saints have something we don't-they each have a truly top-caliber, elite in the league QB and a stable of studly receivers for them to target. Please think about what it means that you say we have an attack on par with them.

Gailey's big mistake is not having McIntyre, Jackson, and Spiller on the field together as often as possible from the very beginning. I like what Gailey does with the spread, but it seems better as a change of pace in the course of a game rather than the bread and butter of the O. It seems to me that there are now miles and miles of tape with this team's shotgun plays.

Chan will have a significant uphill battle to prove he remains the coach of the franchise after next season. Two reasons why I hold this thought:

He will be three years into a rebuild - generally thought to be more than enough time in today's NFL to right the ship. He has selected Fitz as his QB in a pass happy QB league. He will need to live with the fact that Fitz can win games but he sure can't lift up a team and carry it on his back. Time will also tell if the Bills go back to a 4-3. I think this is highly likely but it calls Gailey's initial decision making very much into question.

Nix will step down at some point in the near future and no secret that Whaley is positioned to take the reigns. Whaley may look for an opportunity to insert his own coach.

Wit that said I am a Gailey fan and I hope he has this team ready to take a large step forward next year.

Agreed. Though, I'm not sure Whaley (if he's still around) would truly have the power to start another coaching search if the team is still being run from Detroit.

Buffalo is not considered a plum post; Chuck Knox is the only Bills head coach to leave Buffalo to take the same gig with another NFL team. The next hiring (assuming the team is still run out of Detroit) is likely to follow this same old pattern.

Thank you for this post i couldn't agree with you more & on all points :thumbsup:! !! I know sitting Stevie hurt us in the game but i'm glad to see we have a coach with enough balls in todays NFL to do what he said he would do , even if it does mean sitting one of your best players . I think it sent a great message not only to our team but to the rest of the NFL & it's fans .

Players need to be held more accountable for what they do & that's just (to me) a fact of life. Although in todays world it is becoming more about what you can do for me & how much money you have to get out of your stupid decision !!! Like the guy that bought himself out of the manslaughter conviction when he killed the guy while driving drunk that sent a great message :wallbash: :wallbash: !!!

I wish there were more coaches like Gailey , Coughlin , & Reid - our culture has become soft in just about all stages of life . When lives have no discipline we have the new America from top to bottom & i for one am glad that we have a coach with a bit of old school & enough balls that will show the rest of us what the true meaning of character is today .

Rock on Chan !!!! Glad to have you :thumbsup: :thumbsup: !!!!! And thanks again for the post !!!!!

Lynch: How would having yet another RB help, especially one ranked lower than the two you have?? Football Outsiders ranking of NFL RBs: F.Jackson #7, CJ Spiller #13, M. Lynch #27!!!

Evans: The guy was injured all season. Ruvell Martin had a better year than Lee Evans!!

Whitner: He was the poster boy of what was wrong with the Bills D!! Besides Wilson and Byrd played better than Whitner ever did as a Bill. NFL.com stats: Whitner - 62 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 2 INTs...George Wilson - 106 tackles, 2 forced fumbles, 4 INTs, Jairus Byrd - 98 tackles, 1 sack, 3 forced fumbles, 3 INTs. Donte WHO???

Incognito: O-line was one of the strengths of the Bills this season. According to Football Outiders: Bills #1 pass blocking, #12 run blocking. Miami #29 in pass blocking, #17 in run blocking. To me it looks like the Bills replaced Incognito just fine!

I swear some of you are so bent on condemning the Bills your arguments become downright retarded. :doh: If you think Lynch, Evans, Whitner, and Incognito are better than their replacements on the Bills, then you have no idea what are talking about.

PTR

ROCK ON BROTHER PROMO SET THESE GUYS STRAIGHT !!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I LOVE IT !!!!!

Edited by T master

When it comes to the Stevie thing I have absolutely no problem with that benching IF Chan told him that doing things that hurt the team like that would no longer be tolerated.

You have to be very careful with the chemistry of the team......and allowing a player to do whatever he wants JUST because he is the leading receiver sends a bad message to the team. Chan did what he had to do.

NOW

Hopefully Chan followed that up with....."Stevie you kinda forced my hand there but I still want you to know that we still consider you family here and want you on this team. Its just that we need for you to be more of a lead by example guy if your going to get a new contract here"

When Gailey joined the Bills he spoke at length about changing the mentality of the organisation to a winning one. Unfortunatley some of the calls he has made have not lived up to this mantra and have been a little timid.I would like to see a more aggresive approach this off season and in the coming season.I applaud him for benching SJ but if he is not here,or been replaced with a quality wideout, I fear the writing is on the wall!

I agree with benching Johnson. Those activities don't lead to winning- you need athleticism with discipline. Andre Reed never pulled that type of garbage- the only incident was when he bumped into an official, who was crowding his space.

As far as not running enough? Offenses aren't balances and power running doesn't win anymore. Get ready to see smaller defenses very soon- with corners moving inside to safety, safeties moving to LB and LB's moving to the line.

How do you measure the job a coach has done? The NFL is a results oriented sport. Would you accept the Bills leading the league in offense and defense if they finished 6-10? Or would you prefer the Bills finishing last in offense and defense and have them finish 12-4?

The bottom line is wins and losses. The measuring stick is wins and losses. How has Chan Gailey done as a Bills head coach? (10 wins 22 losses 31.25% W%) How many playoff games has Chan Gailey won in the NFL? Zero.

Unfortunately, these are the facts.

How do you measure the job a coach has done? The NFL is a results oriented sport. Would you accept the Bills leading the league in offense and defense if they finished 6-10? Or would you prefer the Bills finishing last in offense and defense and have them finish 12-4?

The bottom line is wins and losses. The measuring stick is wins and losses. How has Chan Gailey done as a Bills head coach? (10 wins 22 losses 31.25% W%) How many playoff games has Chan Gailey won in the NFL? Zero.

And Denver is a playoff team, and Tebow is in the pro bowl. Those are facts too. So what team is better? The Bills or the Broncos?

PTR

And unfortunately, if that's all you go by, you go by, you will always be spinning your wheels. We have had improved play in a number of areas.

By the way, how many superbowls did Big Jimmy win in Buffalo?

I disagree with most of this...

Sure lynch could of helped us if we KNEW that Fred was going to get hurt...But we didn't, and in fact Fred Jackson was on an MVP pace before he got hurt. So "blaming" Nix/Gailey for replacing Lynch with a better player (and getting picks for him), is just asinine IMO.

People love to tout Whitner, now that he is on a team with a terrific coach and loaded with defensive talent. I have yet to hear anyone (including Whitner) say that he played better than George Wilson when he was healthy. Again, you are "blaming" Nix/Gailey for IMPROVING the SS position?

Incognito? Really? Are you saying that he is good? He was ranked as one of the top 5 dirty players in the league, so I guess he's got that going for him. The guy wasn't good when he was here, a penalty machine.

Evans? Again, really? Yes the Bills desperately need WR help, but Evans did basically nothing this year...The 4th round pick we got for him seems like a pretty big win for the Bills to me. Better receivers, such as Lloyd, only returned a 6th round pick.

BTW, Gailey probably has input regarding personnel decisions, but Nix and the FO are the ones that pull the trigger. Also, I don't think there is even a remote possibility that Gailey is replaced this off season, so you may end up disappointed...

Edited by Turbosrrgood