Say what you want about Chan Gailey

Chan will have a significant uphill battle to prove he remains the coach of the franchise after next season. Two reasons why I hold this thought:

He will be three years into a rebuild - generally thought to be more than enough time in today's NFL to right the ship. He has selected Fitz as his QB in a pass happy QB league. He will need to live with the fact that Fitz can win games but he sure can't lift up a team and carry it on his back. Time will also tell if the Bills go back to a 4-3. I think this is highly likely but it calls Gailey's initial decision making very much into question.

Nix will step down at some point in the near future and no secret that Whaley is positioned to take the reigns. Whaley may look for an opportunity to insert his own coach.

Wit that said I am a Gailey fan and I hope he has this team ready to take a large step forward next year.

By large step forward, I hope you mean playoffs.

If this team doesn't make the postseason next year, I think it will be time to look elsewhere. While continuity is important, we as Bills fans need to start expecting more out of this team.

This is his team. That includes the entire roster, and he had a hand in decisions that inlcluded getting rid of at least fiur players who could have helped us immensely this year, Lynch, Whitner, Incognito and Evans, when he didn't have competent replacements or depth to justify the decisions.

In the final analysis after two years he should be expected to build a competitive team. He has made some progress, but his going to a 3-4 without the personnel needed to play it (and we still don't have the personnel) his failure to improve the team through free agency.

Most of all its his failure to win games. The New England game was an embarassment of the highest order.

Say what you want about Chan...he's not proven to be a good coach. I imagine he is not going to be replaced until next year, so we'll just have to wait and see.

"Good" coaches aren't coming to this franchise until long term ownership/general management is in place. And that won't happen until Ralph's demise. It's that simple. There will always be better coaching gigs than the Bills for the better head coaches. Chan was a great choice because top FAs don't want to be here either for the same reasons, all things being equal, and Chan is a master at scoring points and creating offense with whatever talent he has. That is his gift. He is perfect for a still-building but currently relatively talent poor and injury prone Bills.

Sure lynch could of helped us if we KNEW that Fred was going to get hurt...But we didn't, and in fact Fred Jackson was on an MVP pace before he got hurt. So "blaming" Nix/Gailey for replacing Lynch with a better player (and getting picks for him), is just asinine IMO.

Lynch could have helped us by being the number two guy and if we had chosen a quality player in a position of need instead of CJ Spiller. CJ is not the player Lynch is, at least not yet and certainly not this year. People love to tout Whitner, now that he is on a team with a terrific coach and loaded with defensive talent. I have yet to hear anyone (including Whitner) say that he played better than George Wilson when he was healthy. Again, you are "blaming" Nix/Gailey for IMPROVING the SS position.

Incognito? Really? Are you saying that he is good? He was ranked as one of the top 5 dirty players in the league, so I guess he's got that going for him. The guy wasn't good when he was here, a penalty machine.

As to Whitner, the SF 49er's allowed ONE rushing touchdown all year. They are in the playoffs and Whitner played a huge role in that game. Not to bring up a sore point but Wilson was on the field when New England scored 49 (count'em) unanswered points.

Posluzny is another fellow we could have used. Barnett is terrific but we needed a second inside linebacker and didn't have one.Conrad Dobler was one of our best guards ever and he was a perennial dirty player. We have two good gaurds but offensive linemen get hurt and Incognito could have made a huge difference in our options when Wood and/or Levitre or others missed games. This was an obvious need when Icognito was allowed to leave.Evans? Again, really? Yes the Bills desperately need WR help, but Evans did basically nothing this year...The 4th round pick we got for him seems like a pretty big win for the Bills to me. Better receivers, such as Lloyd, only returned a 6th round pick.

BTW, Gailey probably has input regarding personnel decisions, but Nix and the FO are the ones that pull the trigger. Also, I don't think there is even a remote possibility that Gailey is replaced this off season, so you may end up disappointed...

I agree with you here. I think we're stuck with another four or five win season before Gailey gets dumped.

Sure lynch could of helped us if we KNEW that Fred was going to get hurt...But we didn't, and in fact Fred Jackson was on an MVP pace before he got hurt. So "blaming" Nix/Gailey for replacing Lynch with a better player (and getting picks for him), is just asinine IMO.

Lynch could have helped us by being the number two guy and if we had chosen a quality player in a position of need instead of CJ Spiller. CJ is not the player Lynch is, at least not yet and certainly not this year. People love to tout Whitner, now that he is on a team with a terrific coach and loaded with defensive talent. I have yet to hear anyone (including Whitner) say that he played better than George Wilson when he was healthy. Again, you are "blaming" Nix/Gailey for IMPROVING the SS position.

Incognito? Really? Are you saying that he is good? He was ranked as one of the top 5 dirty players in the league, so I guess he's got that going for him. The guy wasn't good when he was here, a penalty machine.

As to Whitner, the SF 49er's allowed ONE rushing touchdown all year. They are in the playoffs and Whitner played a huge role in that game. Not to bring up a sore point but Wilson was on the field when New England scored 49 (count'em) unanswered points.

Posluzny is another fellow we could have used. Barnett is terrific but we needed a second inside linebacker and didn't have one.Conrad Dobler was one of our best guards ever and he was a perennial dirty player. We have two good gaurds but offensive linemen get hurt and Incognito could have made a huge difference in our options when Wood and/or Levitre or others missed games. This was an obvious need when Icognito was allowed to leave.Evans? Again, really? Yes the Bills desperately need WR help, but Evans did basically nothing this year...The 4th round pick we got for him seems like a pretty big win for the Bills to me. Better receivers, such as Lloyd, only returned a 6th round pick.

BTW, Gailey probably has input regarding personnel decisions, but Nix and the FO are the ones that pull the trigger. Also, I don't think there is even a remote possibility that Gailey is replaced this off season, so you may end up disappointed...

I agree with you here. I think we're stuck with another four or five win season before Gailey gets dumped.

- Marshawn Lynch refused to stay in shape as a bill....got in trouble consecutive times...was one infraction away from being out for a year.

- CJ Spiller....for all the abuse he takes....got better each and every game when they actually started giving him the ball. He will never be the TYPE of player Lynch was as in a ground and point wear you down type but Lynch did an aweful lot of dancing behind the offensive line here when he was a bill and COULDN"T CATCH. CJ Spiller has a different skillset and say what you want about a finesse player CJ was showing some good stuff at the end of this year.

- It is pretty unfair to bag on the safety of a defense that gets NO pass rush pressure whatsoever....I mean ZERO. I dont care who you have in the secondary if you dont have a pass rush down front....they are gonna get smoked. I am waiting to see if Dave Wanstaddt really was just an advisor and Chan only wanted "one voice" talking to the team.

If we get a pass rusher in the offseason and not put our eggs in the Lightsout basket (Mercelous?) with the return of Williams and Wanstaddt coaching the team......this could be a much different team next year.

I want

- A defensive draft started with a pass rusher

- Signing of a speedy physical wideout

- Resigning Stevie Johnston

- Keeping our O line intact

- A better backup veteran QB

Do those things and we have a chance to be good

I want

- A defensive draft started with a pass rusher

- Signing of a speedy physical wideout

- Resigning Stevie Johnston

- Keeping our O line intact

- A better backup veteran QB

Do those things and we have a chance to be good

Another defensive drarft huh? Hey why not?

And what would "a better backup veteran QB" have done for us this year?

Chan had a pure turd when he took the reigns of this team. 2011 was an improvement, however, it did show the glaring needs that need to be fixed in 2012.

The 2011 fast start blinded us fans into thinking we were a contender, however, we are not--yet!

I still think we need a QB that is a coach on the field and can manage a game. Fitz has been serviceable, but he peaked and it's safe to say he isn't the future.

This team will have a lot of coaching changes and personal moves in 2012, but I think we are getting closer to the baby!

And Denver is a playoff team, and Tebow is in the pro bowl. Those are facts too. So what team is better? The Bills or the Broncos?

PTR

Clearly the Broncos are the better team. They won more games and although they lost the head to head matchup in Buffalo, they are on to the second round of the playoffs. I can't even remember the last time the Bills got that far.

When it comes to the Stevie thing I have absolutely no problem with that benching IF Chan told him that doing things that hurt the team like that would no longer be tolerated.

You have to be very careful with the chemistry of the team......and allowing a player to do whatever he wants JUST because he is the leading receiver sends a bad message to the team. Chan did what he had to do.

NOW

Hopefully Chan followed that up with....."Stevie you kinda forced my hand there but I still want you to know that we still consider you family here and want you on this team. Its just that we need for you to be more of a lead by example guy if your going to get a new contract here"

Actually, I think behind closed doors he should have followed up with "Look, you're an exciting player with a ton of passion. However, you look like a total moron when you've pre-scripted touchdown celebrations that hurt your team when we're struggling to win games. And you know what? If you consistently made big plays in crucial game-winning moments, we'd forive you. hey, look at Plax--he landed on his feet after nearly shooting his johnson off. But to script out celebrations and then to drop potential game-winning catches make us all look bad. If you're going to choreograph like a superstar, make superstar catches when they really matter. Now take care son, I like the haircut.".

- It is pretty unfair to bag on the safety of a defense that gets NO pass rush pressure whatsoever....I mean ZERO. I dont care who you have in the secondary if you dont have a pass rush down front....they are gonna get smoked. I am waiting to see if Dave Wanstaddt really was just an advisor and Chan only wanted "one voice" talking to the team.

No, it's not fair.

OTOH, the 49ers have a pass rush and Whitner still isn't very instinctive in coverage. He's even gotten caught in no man's land on multiple occasions, giving up huge plays. (No, I did not write he's the worst player ever, etc.)

There can be no question now though that his selection was high risk for a new GM and HC to try to build a team around. That gamble failed. He came nowhere close to delivering a Troy Polamalu/Bob Sanders type impact, as Levy and Jauron hoped, for a bewildered franchise.

I agree with benching Johnson. Those activities don't lead to winning- you need athleticism with discipline. Andre Reed never pulled that type of garbage- the only incident was when he bumped into an official, who was crowding his space.

As far as not running enough? Offenses aren't balances and power running doesn't win anymore. Get ready to see smaller defenses very soon- with corners moving inside to safety, safeties moving to LB and LB's moving to the line.

There are at least 2 teams who run a balanced run to pass game in the POs. I am not sure you are wrong but Chan didn't run enough when we were winning even. We would get a lead even the running game would be clicking and Chan would go pass happy, YOU STAY with what is working. If you can run and pass you do both. Often we couldn't pass but ran well and didn't stick to it (my #1 gripe with coach, who I think is a good coach but not above criticism).

As far as the bolded part, may I call you Dick or do you prefer DJ? Perfect, because then we will be able to run all over them all day long!

One team in playoffs: One team not.

you tell me which is better?

40-14... sort of speaks for itself. Denver's defense is better but we totally smothered them, we play in a much tougher division. We could easily have had 8 wins and won the west too. I also think we could have beat that Pittsburgh team that showed up in Denver (plus Mile High is great for the Broncos, the other team is always whipped by the fourth, that is what Elway in the HOF). They will get creamed by NE*. Then you tell me who is better.

There are at least 2 teams who run a balanced run to pass game in the POs. I am not sure you are wrong but Chan didn't run enough when we were winning even. We would get a lead even the running game would be clicking and Chan would go pass happy, YOU STAY with what is working. If you can run and pass you do both. Often we couldn't pass but ran well and didn't stick to it (my #1 gripe with coach, who I think is a good coach but not above criticism).

As far as the bolded part, may I call you Dick or do you prefer DJ? Perfect, because then we will be able to run all over them all day long!

40-14... sort of speaks for itself. Denver's defense is better but we totally smothered them, we play in a much tougher division. We could easily have had 8 wins and won the west too. I also think we could have beat that Pittsburgh team that showed up in Denver (plus Mile High is great for the Broncos, the other team is always whipped by the fourth, that is what Elway in the HOF). They will get creamed by NE*. Then you tell me who is better.

We got creamed by NE as well. The fact is that when Buffalo had any kind of pressure on them to win a game, they failed to show up. Hell even in the last one in NE, when there was no pressure at all to win, they completely collapsed in the second half. This team lost 7 straight games. Many of those games were winnable if the team had been able to get their act together and decide that they wanted to win. They didn't. One thing Denver has shown is an ability to bounce back and win close games. Buffalo seemed to have this ability early on, but even in the first half, they lost close games to Cincinatti and the Giants. Both of those games could have been wins if Buffalo had the heart that Denver has shown. They don't. They still have a loser's mentality and I believe they expect to lose when they play good teams. Therein lies the difference.

Say what you want about Chan Gailey...so far he is a loser. That may change, but he's had plenty of time to begin turning the tide.

Sorry, but it is the franchise, not the coach. Time has proven that to be true.