Buddy Nix to retire after 2012 draft?

Jdragon2

I realize that, which is why I would keep him on to finish up the scouting and grading of players, but when it comes time to decide what players should be selected for the team going forward(which he will not be a part of), I'd rather have Whaley be the guys making the picks(That is, if this article is true).

Well thats fine then. However, i always got the feeling that since TD left, the Bills war room has ben run by a consensus approach. Hopefully that will change under Whaley. I don't mind coaches/scouts/etc all having valuable input, but ultimately there should be one voice picking up the phone and calling NY. (of course, this has been the case, but the problem has been that the one voice was ralphie's)

My biggest hope with Whaley is that he's more willing to do some wheeling and dealing on draft day. I'm not saying trade for the sake of trading like belicheat does, but there are plenty of times when a trade up or down could prove to be very resourceful.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thats fine then. However, i always got the feeling that since TD left, the Bills war room has ben run by a consensus approach. Hopefully that will change under Whaley. I don't mind coaches/scouts/etc all having valuable input, but ultimately there should be one voice picking up the phone and calling NY. (of course, this has been the case, but the problem has been that the one voice was ralphie's)

My biggest hope with Whaley is that he's more willing to do some wheeling and dealing on draft day. I'm not saying trade for the sake of trading like belicheat does, but there are plenty of times when a trade up or down could prove to be very resourceful.

That won't happen unless Ralph is gone. This franchise is stuck in the stone age when it comes to coaching, front office personnel and talent. And it all starts at the top.

Unclear,why he tool the job in the first place.

A 2 year GM sounds like Marv Levy.

Whaley will hopefully be able to construct a roster sans dumpster UDFA's

He took the job to help get the organization "organized" and going in the right direction. Whaley

was brought in soon after. It was fairly clear that Nix was not going to be there for long and

Whaley was the one being groomed to take over. Nix retiring isn't a surprise. And some of those

UDFA's have been decent players. 2011 draft picks played well at times and look good going forward.

Spiller, I need say no more. Nix has done what he was brought in to do as well as help train his

replacement, a man who is 40 or 41. So no more Bills senior citizens jokes on the boards.

Please God let this be true! Hell let the kid from Pittsburgh run THIS draft and do it Pittsburgh style

What do you think they've been doing? They've drafted a lot on both lines. They've drafted defense.

They've taken chances with playmakers (Spiller/Santonio Holmes). Bills are on the right track. It's

been 12 years for the fans. It's been two for Nix and co. And they had to start almost from scratch.

Man would that approach be a breath of fresh air. Not just doing it, but having a capable mind knowing it's always an option.

Go back and watch Whaley's interview on the Bills' website. He already said he and Nix's philosohpy is similar.

Unclear,why he tool the job in the first place.

A 2 year GM sounds like Marv Levy.

Whaley will hopefully be able to construct a roster sans dumpster UDFA's

Buddy did a great job

he cleaned out modrak and his crew and completly overhauled the scouting department

brought in a young up and commer to groom as a replacement

basically he built an entire operation in two years, now if we can just be a little patience

He took the job to help get the organization "organized" and going in the right direction. Whaley

was brought in soon after. It was fairly clear that Nix was not going to be there for long and

Whaley was the one being groomed to take over. Nix retiring isn't a surprise. And some of those

UDFA's have been decent players. 2011 draft picks played well at times and look good going forward.

Spiller, I need say no more. Nix has done what he was brought in to do as well as help train his

replacement, a man who is 40 or 41. So no more Bills senior citizens jokes on the boards.

What do you think they've been doing? They've drafted a lot on both lines. They've drafted defense.

They've taken chances with playmakers (Spiller/Santonio Holmes). Bills are on the right track. It's

been 12 years for the fans. It's been two for Nix and co. And they had to start almost from scratch.

that was the plan from day one. It takes so time

That won't happen unless Ralph is gone. This franchise is stuck in the stone age when it comes to coaching, front office personnel and talent. And it all starts at the top.

bases on what ?

I Don't think for a minute that Buddy didn't pcik the player he wanted

Edited by jcbillsfan

Well for starters one would hope Doug Whaley will have a different philosophy

Than Buddy Hix. I would call that more in the "change" category. I doubt he shared

Buddy philosophy or I should say I hope he didn't. Nix was a waste of 2 years IMO. Just like Levy was.

First, Watch Whaley's interview from last year on the Bills website. He already said him and Nix

have similar philosophy about draft picks and building through the draft to create a sustained,

strong team.

Second, how was Nix a waste of two years? Spiller is the goods, Carrington starts, Nelson plays

as much as a starter, Dareus, Williams, Sheppard, Hairston, Searcy all started games and looked

good at times or better. Rogers got a lot of time and looked good. Johnny and Chris White

were both contributors on special teams. That's a lot of draft picks making contributions pretty

much right away. He signed Urbik and Rhinehart off practice squads. Both of them were 3rd

round picks. Urbik starts and plays fairly well at two positions. Rhinehart is decent depth.

He signed Pears. Pears held up fairly well.

You aren't paying attention. Stop getting caught up in the 12 year playoff drought. Nix was in

charge for two years. And there are a lot of players going forward who look like they can play.

Remember how the team was when he got there? There was a lot of turnover that had to happen.

Rebuilds take time. The 10 years before he got there aren't his fault.

Buddy did a great job

he cleaned out modrak and his crew and completly overhauled the scouting department

brought in a young up and commer to groom to replacement

basically he built an entire operationn in two years, not if we can just be a little patience

Unfortunately, this type of insight is lost on the Madden-playing Mouth-breathers of TBD who expect an entire franchise to be rebuilt in 8 months.

Anyone who cant see the change of direction from the time Nix took over is too entrenched in their own misery.

Are you referring to new ownership? I do not see a top flight gm or top flight coaching staff in Buffalo until there is a change in ownership.

You just put an add in the B-Lo news and wa la U have "top flight gm or top flight coaching staff in Buffalo " it is so easy i just dont understand this organization. Everyone else knows how to fix the problem just not 1BD :wallbash:

Draft picks who are starting on bad football teams don't necessarily make them quality NFL starters. It may just mean there are no better alternatives. :rolleyes:

Injuries make starters!

Edited by snamsnoops

Unfortunately, this type of insight is lost on the Madden-playing Mouth-breathers of TBD who expect an entire franchise to be rebuilt in 8 months.

Anyone who cant see the change of direction from the time Nix took over is too entrenched in their own misery.

What's the change of direction? Was it taking a RB in the first round? No, the Bills had done that plenty of times before. Was it adding solid depth to a roster in dire need of it? Nope. Not that either. Was it towing the company line that has existed since Ralph has owned the team?

Yup.

And yet I suspect you will not be able to provide even a single shred of evidence or indicia of this so-called improvement. Please, tell me, where is it? It's not in the team's record. It's not even in ticket sales. Both have flatlined or worse under Nix & Co. So where am I to look for this supposed progress? Give me one thing, other than "I know it when I see it."

What's the change of direction? Was it taking a RB in the first round? No, the Bills had done that plenty of times before. Was it adding solid depth to a roster in dire need of it? Nope. Not that either. Was it towing the company line that has existed since Ralph has owned the team?

The change of direction was to bring in big, physical players (not a small, fast team like Jauron built to play in a dome) on both sides of the lines. Depth? You have to get starting players before you can have depth lol.

So what is the company line? I'm curious.

Probably could have saved myself a minute of typing by reading this first.

Yup. And he did nothing to make this team better. Because Ralph and his cronies are still very much in charge.

Nothing? Not one thing is better on the Bills since Dick(less) Jauron? I know we are disappointed but let's not lose our grip on reality.

PTR

Nothing? Not one thing is better on the Bills since Dick(less) Jauron? I know we are disappointed but let's not lose our grip on reality.

PTR

Better than DJ? Shouldn't we aim a little higher than JUST being better than Jauron? Then again, in this case, there hasn't even been any improvement. DJ won 7 games multiple times and finished second in the AFC East.

Jauron was a trainwreck. Nix and Gaily haven't been any better. Not where it counts.

At some point you have to realize the problem isn't the coaches or GMs. It's the owner. The fish rots from the head, and this franchise has been the laughing stock of the NFL for over a decade.

And you defend it.

Yup. And he did nothing to make this team better. Because Ralph and his cronies are still very much in charge.

Say what you will about the player, but when Nix admitted he didn't have a lot to do with the Evans trade, it spoke volumes. New HC, GM, DC, ticket seller, whatever. It's still the same people with the marionettes.

It would take a Ted Thompson/Kevin Colbert/Tom Dimitroff effort for the next 3 drafts to overcome that sort of interference from on-high.