97 Rock Will No Longer Carry Bills Games

Will they actually have to be positive? Never!

Are people really critical that GR isn't positive about the Bills? Has there been much to be positive about? During just two short stretches since I moved back here seven years ago, the team has been worth talking about in a positive manner: FIrst five weeks of 2008 and first five weeks of 2011.

Do you really want the radio opinion folks to talk up a crappy team? Is that useful? If so, to what end?

Are people really critical that GR isn't positive about the Bills? Has there been much to be positive about? During just two short stretches since I moved back here seven years ago, the team has been worth talking about in a positive manner: FIrst five weeks of 2008 and first five weeks of 2011.

Do you really want the radio opinion folks to talk up a crappy team? Is that useful? If so, to what end?

My understanding of the criticism of GR (I don't listen to them) is that they are dismissive, lazy, and not serious about their coverage of the Bills.

They were apparently dismissive because they carry the Sabres and not the Bills so there is a strong rationale for not drumming up Bills conversation… it's bad for their business. That will now change.

Their hosts, Schopp and Bulldog made short, dismissive, snarky, simple-minded remarks and analysis about the Bills.

I hate this personally… and it happens on this board quite a bit. I don't give a damn really if someone is "negative" as long as they're not just shytting out flip statements. If a professional sports broadcaster thinks something, then by all means explain it intelligently because as we all know, Buffalo is a serious sports town.

We don't like dismissive and flip sports commentary.

If Gailey sucks, approach the subject with the same seriousness, analysis, and passion that your listenership approaches it with.

From what I gather, this is where GR has failed for many years.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

That's how I followed most games this year streaming 97 Rock. For some reason I prefer it on the radio. That was I can have it as background as I do more entertaining things like cooking, shaving my back hair or jerking off. Those of you that have spent any kind of money to watch this team every week the past 10 is nothing but a sucker.

Really, how much money can a local radio station make off an NFL football game especially if they aren't a sports directed station? Anybody that knows what they are doing can watch the games on their PC's or cell phones - blacked out or not - - radio advertising income is falling off the chart.

That's how I followed most games this year streaming 97 Rock. For some reason I prefer it on the radio. That was I can have it as background as I do more entertaining things like cooking, shaving my back hair or jerking off. Those of you that have spent any kind of money to watch this team every week the past 10 is nothing but a sucker.

It's not like shaving my back while listening to Van Miller on WBEN back in the glory days… that's for sure.

My understanding of the criticism of GR (I don't listen to them) is that they are dismissive, lazy, and not serious about their coverage of the Bills.

They were apparently dismissive because they carry the Sabres and not the Bills so there is a strong rationale for not drumming up Bills conversation… it's bad for their business. That will now change.

Their hosts, Schopp and Bulldog made short, dismissive, snarky, simple-minded remarks and analysis about the Bills.

I hate this personally… and it happens on this board quite a bit. I don't give a damn really if someone is "negative" as long as they're not just shytting out flip statements. If a professional sports broadcaster thinks something, then by all means explain it intelligently because as we all know, Buffalo is a serious sports town.

We don't like dismissive and flip sports commentary.

If Gailey sucks, approach the subject with the same seriousness, analysis, and passion that your listenership approaches it with.

From what I gather, this is where GR has failed for many years.

They talk about the Bills ALL THE TIME. People get pissy when the folks at the station talk hockey. I can't imagine what they'd do in a market with four--or seven!--pro sports teams plus major college sports.

People also get pissy when they do things like a country draft or Thanksgiving dinner Survivor (you'd have to listen to understand; you wrote that you don't). I can understand a little more about the frustration with that, even if I think it's entertaining. It certainly isn't sports talk.

But they do treat the Bills very seriously. Negatively, which is deserved, but seriously. They had a great ten-minute interview with SJ the day after the benching. 97 Rock didn't.

Schopp and the Bulldog make snarky remarks about drunk callers, not so much about the Bills. Frankly, listening to the drunk caller beat-down is usually more entertaining than listening to the coack explain a loss, but I'll certainly admit that Sunday, I was tuned in to 97 to hear Gailey explain the SJ situation. That lasted a minute, and then I was back to GR to hear a decent dialogue instead of just an interview.

They talk about the Bills ALL THE TIME. People get pissy when the folks at the station talk hockey. I can't imagine what they'd do in a market with four--or seven!--pro sports teams plus major college sports.

People also get pissy when they do things like a country draft or Thanksgiving dinner Survivor (you'd have to listen to understand; you wrote that you don't). I can understand a little more about the frustration with that, even if I think it's entertaining. It certainly isn't sports talk.

But they do treat the Bills very seriously. Negatively, which is deserved, but seriously. They had a great ten-minute interview with SJ the day after the benching. 97 Rock didn't.

Schopp and the Bulldog make snarky remarks about drunk callers, not so much about the Bills. Frankly, listening to the drunk caller beat-down is usually more entertaining than listening to the coack explain a loss, but I'll certainly admit that Sunday, I was tuned in to 97 to hear Gailey explain the SJ situation. That lasted a minute, and then I was back to GR to hear a decent dialogue instead of just an interview.

Thanks for the perspective of a regular listener.

You do hear tons of criticism of the station hereabouts and not much in the way of compliments.

Since GR started getting more access to the Bills and their players they toned down the petty BS, though Jerry Sunshine still cranks it out in spades. Of course that's his act so he's not about to change it.

PTR

Thanks for adding this. I had forgotten that there was a point several years ago where the station and the team were at odds with each other.

But for a number of years now, it's been pretty straight reporting and commentary, IMO.

I think people will like the change. Unlike 97 Rock, WGR is able to handle a lot of weekly Bills-related programming.

WGR makes it super easy to listen. Go to the website. Click on the listen live tab on the upper corner and a Radio player will appear on your screen click play. Not to hard. They have a smartphone app as well. Making listening on the go easy as well.IMO WGR is better suited to handle the Bills coverage. Many of you forget thats where they were in "the glory days" Now i'm not a GR hack but the station provides good content. Its how I get my Bill/Sabres news in Pittsburgh. Of course i am sure I will get flamed for putting out my honest opinion out there.

Since GR started getting more access to the Bills and their players they toned down the petty BS, though Jerry Sunshine still cranks it out in spades. Of course that's his act so he's not about to change it.

PTR

This is exactly it. I hated them, too, back when they were doing the petty BS during the Donahoe era - they hated him for some sort of snub he supposedly did to them. I wanted to punch Mike S. back then. I also hated Dickerson before that, who had a vendetta against the Bills.

But, since then, they have covered the Bills fairly, despite what you hear on this board. If you notice, and I did, there were no GR Hate threads here in September and October, despite the fact there was one just about weekly before that.

I predict Rogers' "The Fan 590" in Toronto will be the new Bills flagship.

PTR

I think that would invite a bunch of league & FCC questions to have a foreign broadcaster be the flagship, never mind the issues with local advertisers as you know how Arbitron counts the listeners.

I think that would invite a bunch of league & FCC questions to have a foreign broadcaster be the flagship, never mind the issues with local advertisers as you know how Arbitron counts the listeners.

There is no FCC jurisdiction involved in broadcast rights. Can't imagine what issues there would be with advertisers. In fact they might sell more ads in Canada. No Arbitron issues since you would have local affiliate stations.

Of course that's all moot now.

PTR

Now that the games are on WGR, look for their talking heads to do an about face on the radio shows, which will cause the non-talking heads in Buffalo to think the team is great now....

When's the last time you listened?

2006, I would guess. My iQ has shot straight up since not listening to that garbage.

That's actually about the time that they stopped their petty agenda against the Bills (esp. Mike S). I hated them, too, then. They're very fair now.

That's actually about the time that they stopped their petty agenda against the Bills (esp. Mike S). I hated them, too, then. They're very fair now.

My guess is that they will go the opposite way, now that they have a contract with the Bills

My guess is that they will go the opposite way, now that they have a contract with the Bills

I don't think so. They are very critical of the Sabres now. Unlike back when you were listening. They claim it's because there wasn't much to be critical of back then, and they are mostly right....But, their petty stuff with the Bills then was more than just the on field product.

I don't think so. They are very critical of the Sabres now. Unlike back when you were listening. They claim it's because there wasn't much to be critical of back then, and they are mostly right....But, their petty stuff with the Bills then was more than just the on field product.

agreed on all counts.

There is no FCC jurisdiction involved in broadcast rights. Can't imagine what issues there would be with advertisers. In fact they might sell more ads in Canada. No Arbitron issues since you would have local affiliate stations.

Of course that's all moot now.

PTR

Local stations would raise a stink with the FCC and advertising would be a big issue if WNY locals start placing ads on 590, and how would you manage the "local" affiliate issue in Buffalo if a lot more people start listening to the 590 feed dropping the local affiliate ratings?

Yeah, I agree with all of this. Bills fans who blast GR55 for giving too much air time to the Sabres, while showing no consideration of the Bills are pretty off base. They talk about the Bills plenty...now, people may not appeciate all the personalities they have, but I suspect there will be some changes in that area. They will almost certainly add more Bills programming. What I like about this, we will most likely have more local programming, as they will be covering both pro sports teams...if they can figure out any way to cut Colin Cowherd, or at leas cut down on him, it will be a positive.

I wouldn't be surprised if they add Chris Brown for a Bills specific show.

Yeah, I agree with all of this. Bills fans who blast GR55 for giving too much air time to the Sabres, while showing no consideration of the Bills are pretty off base. They talk about the Bills plenty...now, people may not appeciate all the personalities they have, but I suspect there will be some changes in that area. They will almost certainly add more Bills programming. What I like about this, we will most likely have more local programming, as they will be covering both pro sports teams...if they can figure out any way to cut Colin Cowherd, or at leas cut down on him, it will be a positive.

I wouldn't be surprised if they add Chris Brown for a Bills specific show.

I'd really like Brad Riter to take over Cowherd's spot. I wonder if the Bills will get a beat reporter other than Paul Hamilton? You can tell that the Sabres are what he really cares about.

As for the notion on this board that GR kisses Sabres butt, this was in today's Buffalo News:

There are critics of the station who believe that their hosts occasionally go easy on the Sabres and their management due to their broadcast partnership, but anyone who listens to a steady diet of Schopp, in particular, or the frequent on-air appearances by News Senior Sports Columnist Jerry Sullivan, would not be likely to invest much in those conspiracy theories.

Local stations would raise a stink with the FCC and advertising would be a big issue if WNY locals start placing ads on 590, and how would you manage the "local" affiliate issue in Buffalo if a lot more people start listening to the 590 feed dropping the local affiliate ratings?

As a person who has applied for and built two FM stations from scratch, and has some knowledge of FCC regs, this would be not something the FCC would involve itself in. Buffalo stations could raise all the stink they want.

PTR

I'd really like Brad Riter to take over Cowherd's spot. I wonder if the Bills will get a beat reporter other than Paul Hamilton? You can tell that the Sabres are what he really cares about.

As for the notion on this board that GR kisses Sabres butt, this was in today's Buffalo News:

There are critics of the station who believe that their hosts occasionally go easy on the Sabres and their management due to their broadcast partnership, but anyone who listens to a steady diet of Schopp, in particular, or the frequent on-air appearances by News Senior Sports Columnist Jerry Sullivan, would not be likely to invest much in those conspiracy theories.

Yes. I used to normally just listen to the archived stuff on GR, interviews and such, so you didn't get too much editorializing. But, starting with this football season, work situation changing, I have listened to more real time stuff on GR, and I never get the feeling that they are "too soft" on the Sabres. Schoop and Bulldog are pretty harsh at times...

Agree, too, abotu Hamilton. I think he is great as a Sabres reporter, because hockey is, obviously, his passion, and I never get the feeling that he knows as much about football, he is just doing the job, as he is instructed. He offers, IMO, more insight than any local person, on the Sabres "behind the scenes", but doesn't seem as well connected with the Bills. I don't fault him, but, I suspect GR will get somebody else on the Bills beat, maybe Joe Buscaligia? I also wouldn't be surprised to see much of 97Rocks' programming and Bills people moved to GR.

Honestly, and I hate to say this, because I know he lurks here, but I guess I am missing the "alternative appeal" that Brad Riter seems to have. I don't dislike him, mind you, he is fine...but, to me, has many of the same strengths and weaknesses as Mike Schoop, who most (not me) seem to have the biggest issues with. Either way, it seems like he (Riter) may have said/written enough to have irreparably damaged his realtionship with GR. I can't see him going back there.

To me, this is a great move. It is far better to have one comprehensive channel for WNY sports talk, than two that are sort of only half-way there.

Edited by Buftex