Proposed rule change, what do you think?

Beerball

I hate 'half the distance to the goal,' especially when a personal foul is involved. It allows a player to take a cheap shot and his team doesn't pay much of a penalty.

My solution is simple, assess the full penalty. If that can't be done put the ball at the 1 like they do for PI in the endzone. Rule would work the same whether it is an offensive or defensive penalty.

Get rid of the half the distance crapola.

I hate 'half the distance to the goal,' especially when a personal foul is involved. It allows a player to take a cheap shot and his team doesn't pay much of a penalty.

My solution is simple, assess the full penalty. If that can't be done put the ball at the 1 like they do for PI in the endzone. Rule would work the same whether it is an offensive or defensive penalty.

Get rid of the half the distance crapola.

I always thought that was a silly penalty too. Not the call - - but - - the penalty assessment. Another thing, in the now pass happy NFL (which is great for the fans) the pass interference assessment just seems too large. An entire game can turn on a judgement call. No other penalty calls can account for 50-60 yards. Why not a 20 yard penalty? If the play was inside the 20 then place the ball at the 1 yard line.

I always thought that was a silly penalty too. Not the call - - but - - the penalty assessment. Another thing, in the now pass happy NFL (which is great for the fans) the pass interference assessment just seems too large. An entire game can turn on a judgement call. No other penalty calls can account for 50-60 yards. Why not a 20 yard penalty? If the play was inside the 20 then place the ball at the 1 yard line.

Simple- I'm going to tackle you anytime I get straight beat 20+ downfield.

1325380417[/url]' post='2349491']

They need to do something . Seems most times the receiver would not have been able to catch the ball.

25 percent

I can't wait to see the reaction on the 75% that you deem catchable when the defender saves himself 30 yards by not even trying to make a real play.

The PI should be limited, I agree but if the limit the yards, we won't see as many exciting (but cheap) game ending drives. Don't see it happening but it is not a fair rule IMO.

I just don't get why it's not fair. Defender cheats to prevent a catch, ball goes to the spot. The logic matches other penalties like intentional grounding.

1325383994[/url]' post='2349523']

I can't wait to see the reaction on the 75% that you deem catchable when the defender saves himself 30 yards by not even trying to make a real play.

I just don't get why it's not fair. Defender cheats to prevent a catch, ball goes to the spot. The logic matches other penalties like intentional grounding.

Over the head not even close, hate that call.I don' t like the call when defender is in front of the receiver with 2 yds. Between them not touching receiver and defender dose not get his head around but gets flagged.

As I've written before, PI should be reviewable... both ways. We don't need to slow down games any more, and keep the same 3 (incorrect) challenges per half. But PI should be added. There's way too much personal judgment involved for the refs and for way too big o' chunks of yardage, as '64 wrote.

PI has become such a huge part of the game as this has turned into a passing/Arena/neutered-defense league.

There needs to be some recourse for the many obvious non-calls and obvious gimme-a-f'in-break calls.

Simple- I'm going to tackle you anytime I get straight beat 20+ downfield.

even simpler--im gonna underheave a poof pass down the field and hope for some tickytack incidental contact on the receiver

and gain 50 yards

It doesn't happen in college and there it is a 15 trader, pride will prevent a lot of that.

Do you watch a lot of college football? I have seen this happen quite a few times and the announcers always say what a smart play it is since it is only 15 yards.

I think they need to more penalties punitive. When the offense is pinned against its own goal line, a false start or holding does nothing (unless the ball is in the endzone). If a penalty is called against the offense, move the first down marker, instead of going half the distance.

If the offense gets inside the opponent's five-yard line, two offsides should result in a first down. A pass interference call in the last two minutes should put the clock where it was- I have seen intentional pass interference in the endzone too may times in this situation, to force a field goal.

When it comes down to it - if the foul clearly prevents a 50 yard completion, if should be a spot foul. Just like the example of grounding - same concept, just less common. If you want it reviewable, fine. But to say a spot foul isnt "fair" is ridiculous. If you prevent a 50 yard gain by cheating, can you give me any reason it shouldn't be a 50 yard penalty?

By the way - how many games do you see 50 yard calls? Surely not every. And even if you are generous with meads 3 out of 4 are catchable and it's not a higher percent than that within those calls - maybe once a week you see a 50 yard pi called incorrectly?

I think they need to more penalties punitive. When the offense is pinned against its own goal line, a false start or holding does nothing (unless the ball is in the endzone). If a penalty is called against the offense, move the first down marker, instead of going half the distance.

If the offense gets inside the opponent's five-yard line, two offsides should result in a first down. A pass interference call in the last two minutes should put the clock where it was- I have seen intentional pass interference in the endzone too may times in this situation, to force a field goal.

I can't say I have any idea what your referencing in the second half. The game can't end on a DPI so your saying you often see a last second pass to the end zone interfered with when I team is down by three to force a kick for a tie? Otherwise the example makes no sense.... I guess maybe in the first half?

Still super rare.