So Brees was a 2nd round pick.

Toshiero

But according to nix last year there wasn't anyone there at #3 that would be worth the pick at QB to build around, and according to fans there won't be anyone at #10 (Projected pick).

Imagine for a moment, Dalton (my personal favorite last year) or even Jake Locker at QB for us after trading down a few spots and getting more talent on this team. We are only going to win 6 games, I don't think we would have lost more. Oh and we would have our QB of the future on the roster NOW with a full season under his belt etc.

And fans wonder why we are always at the bottom of the heap and never see the playoffs. But never fear we have the Amish BB Gun with his magic beard to lead us...

Saying we should have picked Dalton in the 1st round is the dumbest, laziest, most hindsight driven post Ive seen here in a while.

Stop with the "We should have"s and start making some predictions on 2012's draft, so we can see how good you really are.

edit: corrected the draft pick context, still a bad idea.

Edited by DrDareustein

I really agree that we cannot win big until we have a QB who is capable of carrying this team, of making great plays, and of being consistently good - I don't believe we have that now... so, I'm on board with this organization going out and getting that guy as soon as possible, via draft, trade, trading up - whatever. I just think we'll be perennially losing until we have that piece. So, I see us going OLB/DE with number 1 this year, and then going QB with number 2 - unless there is a really spectacular prospect like Aaron Williams last year, who falls to our 2, in which case I could see us going QB 3. Definitely, I need, as a fan, to see the Bills add a QB who can lead this team if Fitz fails - because if they don't add one, I won't watch this joke any longer.

Why not argue that Dalton could have been taken with our 2nd round pick?

As per the original post - I don't think that Dalton would have been the Bills next rated QB. My guess is the next QB on their list would have been Gabbert (how'd Jacksonville do this year?).

Dalton is completing less than 60% of his passes, has a 6.7 YPA average, and 21 TD's and 15 turnovers. But his defense is ranked 6th in yards and 9th in points. Not to mention he's throwing to a guy who is already a top-10 WR, as a rookie.

i dont get the talk of trading back up or taking Dalton in the first when he was still on the board when they picked in the second :wallbash:

I like dareus but I wouldnt have had a problem picking Green and Dalton after watching them play together all year

You must not miss when you pick top five. Dareus was declared by many as THE can't miss prospect. I would have been fine with the Bills trading back into the first for Locker or Dalton, but no way would I spend a number three on any QB besides Newton last year.

Hence this part of my post 'magine for a moment, Dalton (my personal favorite last year) or even Jake Locker at QB for us after trading down a few spots and getting more talent on this team."

Why not argue that Dalton could have been taken with our 2nd round pick?

As per the original post - I don't think that Dalton would have been the Bills next rated QB. My guess is the next QB on their list would have been Gabbert (how'd Jacksonville do this year?).

I had Dalton rated as my Top QB. So I was wrong, Cam actually showed up, put his ego aside and wants to be an NFL QB. That said, I would take Dalton and his potential right now over Fitz any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The kid is only going to get better.

2nd round qbs

jimmy clausen

kellen clemens

tavaris jackson

john beck

kevin kolb

drew stanton

brian brhom

chad henne

pat white

quincy carter

marques tuisosopo

AND drew brees all the qbs drafted in the second round since 2001....lol

1/12 aint bad.......hahah

2nd round qbs

jimmy clausen

kellen clemens

tavaris jackson

john beck

kevin kolb

drew stanton

brian brhom

chad henne

pat white

quincy carter

marques tuisosopo

AND drew brees all the qbs drafted in the second round since 2001....lol

1/12 aint bad.......hahah

You left out Dalton, Kaepernick. You can also add Shaun King, Charlie Batch, Jake Plummer, Tony Banks, TODD COLLINS, Matt Blundin, and Brett Favre if you'd like to go back another decade. Based upon that list, it looks like a franchise changing QB comes out of the second round about once a decade.

But according to nix last year there wasn't anyone there at #3 that would be worth the pick at QB to build around, and according to fans there won't be anyone at #10 (Projected pick).

Imagine for a moment, Dalton (my personal favorite last year) or even Jake Locker at QB for us after trading down a few spots and getting more talent on this team. We are only going to win 6 games, I don't think we would have lost more. Oh and we would have our QB of the future on the roster NOW with a full season under his belt etc.

And fans wonder why we are always at the bottom of the heap and never see the playoffs. But never fear we have the Amish BB Gun with his magic beard to lead us...

On a mission? Are you nuts? Dareus is the best pick the Bills have taken since Bruce Smith. And they need more defense....

Brees is short and does not have highest top tier arm strength. Those factors alone kept him out of the first round. He benefits from playing at least 9 games a year in a dome and at least 3 more in summer conditions All that said he is truly a remarkable player and deservedly a certain hall of famer. Rodgers is short as well, listed 6'2 which means he may be 6'1. Interestlngly 2 of the top 5 in today's game lack prototypical size.

Look at the list of QBs not taken in the first round over the last decade... it doesn't get any prettier.

2011:

2 35 Andy Dalton

2 36 Colin Kaepernick

3 74 Ryan Mallett

5 135 Ricky Stanzi

5 152 T.J Yates

5 160 Nathan Enderle

6 180 Tyrod Taylor

7 208 Greg McElroy

2010:

2 48 Jimmy Clausen

3 85 Colt McCoy

4 122 Mike Kafka

5 155 John Skelton

5 168 Jonathan Crompton

6 176 Rusty Smith

6 181 Dan LeFevour

6 199 Joe Webb

6 204 Tony Pike

7 209 Levi Brown

7 239 Sean Canfield

7 250 Zac Robinson

2009:

2 44 Pat White

4 101 Stephen McGee

5 151 Rhett Bomar

5 171 Nate Davis

6 174 Tom Brandstater

6 178 Mike Teel

6 196 Keith Null

6 201 Curtis Painter

2008:

2 56 Brian Brohm

2 57 Chad Henne

3 94 Kevin O'Connell

5 137 John David Booty

5 156 Dennis Dixon

5 160 Josh Johnson

5 162 Erik Ainge

6 186 Colt Brennan

6 198 Andre Woodson

7 209 Matt Flynn

7 223 Alex Brink

2007:

2 36 Kevin Kolb

2 40 John Beck

2 43 Drew Stanton

3 92 Trent Edwards

5 151 Jeff Rowe

5 174 Troy Smith

6 205 Jordan Palmer

7 217 Tyler Thigpen

2 49 Kellen Clemens

2 64 Tarvaris Jackson

3 81 Charlie Whitehurst

3 85 Brodie Croyle

5 148 Ingle Martin

5 164 Omar Jacobs

6 194 Bruce Gradkowski

7 223 D.J. Shockley

3 67 Charlie Frye

3 69 Andrew Walter

3 85 David Greene

4 106 Kyle Orton

4 121 Stefan LeFors

5 145 Dan Orlovsky

5 152 Adrian McPherson

6 213 Derek Anderson

7 230 Matt Cassel

7 250 Ryan Fitzpatrick

3 90 Matt Schaub

4 106 Luke McCown

5 148 Craig Krenzel

6 185 Andy Hall

6 187 Josh Harris

6 193 Jim Sorgi

6 201 Jeff Smoker

7 202 John Navarre

7 217 Cody Pickett

7 218 Casey Bramlet

7 225 Matt Mauck

7 248 B.J. Symons

7 250 Bradlee Van Pelt

3 88 Dave Ragone

3 97 Chris Simms

4 110 Seneca Wallace

5 163 Brian St. Pierre

6 192 Drew Henson

6 200 Brooks Bollinger

6 201 Kliff Kingsbury

7 232 Gibran Hamdan

7 241 Ken Dorsey

3 81 Josh McCown

4 108 David Garrard

4 117 Rohan Davey

5 137 Randy Fasani

5 158 Kurt Kittner

5 163 Brandon Doman

5 164 Craig Nall

6 186 J.T. O'Sullivan

7 216 Seth Burford

7 232 Jeff Kelly

7 235 Ronald Curry

7 236 Wes Pate

Based on what I see, there are 7 Opening Day starters out of that list(Dalton, McCoy, Kevin Kolb, Tarvaris Jackson, Matt Cassell, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Matt Schaub) and only the two most recnt of those are with the team that drafted them (Andy Dalton and Colt McCoy)

I think we should take a long hard look at K Cousins from Mich St. Whether 2nd round, or trading up/down into the latter part of the 1st. Kinda reminds me of a Ponder who eneded up going 12.

i think cousins has a lot of similar traits to christian ponder and wouldnt be surprised that nix/gailey like him quite a bit judging that they coveted ponder they way they did

Weren't the rumors that Locker was the Bills target after Newton?

PTR

believe it was ponder. but the vikings went crazy town and took him way early

i think cousins has a lot of similar traits to christian ponder and wouldnt be surprised that nix/gailey like him quite a bit judging that they coveted ponder they way they did

believe it was ponder. but the vikings went crazy town and took him way early

You are right. It was Ponder.

PTR

Dalton is completing less than 60% of his passes, has a 6.7 YPA average, and 21 TD's and 15 turnovers. But his defense is ranked 6th in yards and 9th in points. Not to mention he's throwing to a guy who is already a top-10 WR, as a rookie.

A rookie QB with 21 TD passes, albeit in a pass happy league, is nothing to run down. Were it not for Cam Newton, Dalton has had the best rookie season for a QB in years and he was a second round pick. His numbers, again for a QB, are on par with Green's as a rookie WR picked top 5.

Rebuilding a team means finding your long term answer at QB. The Bills haven't been in prime position to take one, but you can't go 3 drafts without doing something for the future. Perhaps Nix leaves this one to Whaley when the younger man takes over. Still, I don't know of one successful rebuild where the front office eschewed taking a QB in the draft.

That would mean a hell of a lot more if Brees was still with the team that drafted him. :wallbash: