Who are the core players on this team?

Coach Tuesday

By "core" I mean the players that the front office needs to build around for the next 5 years or so.

OFFENSE:

Ryan Fitzpatrick* (would not have made my list but for Ralph's comments last week)

C.J. Spiller (has proven over the last month that he can change field position instantly - why they drafted him)

Eric Wood

Andy Levitre

DEFENSE:

Marcel Dareus

Kyle Williams

Aaron Williams

Jarius Byrd

Let me know if you disagree with these names or if I'm missing anyone.

By "core" I mean the players that the front office needs to build around for the next 5 years or so.

OFFENSE:

Ryan Fitzpatrick* (would not have made my list but for Ralph's comments last week)

C.J. Spiller (has proven over the last month that he can change field position instantly - why they drafted him)

Eric Wood

Andy Levitre

DEFENSE:

Marcel Dareus

Kyle Williams

Aaron Williams

Jarius Byrd

#1- Fred Jackson

#2- Kyle Williams

#3- Eric Wood

#4- Marcell Darius

#5- Andy Levitre

those are the only "studs" on this team.

Edited by papazoid

OFFENSE:

Eric Wood

Andy Levitre

DEFENSE:

Marcel Dareus

Kyle Williams

Aaron Williams

Jarius Byrd

I would certainly like to keep Stevie Johnson. Also Fred Jackson

OFFENSE:

Eric Wood

Andy Levitre

DEFENSE:

Marcel Dareus

Kyle Williams

Aaron Williams

Jarius Byrd

Wow, no Jackson or Johnson??? Also, Sheppard should make the list until he proves he doesn't belong.

Yours:

OFFENSE:

Ryan Fitzpatrick Post contract game prep is like Billy Joe Hobart but we have money committed and at least he shows up. If someone at QB falls into our lap then great, Otherwise keep him.

C.J. Spiller yes

Eric Wood yes

Andy Levitre yes

DEFENSE:

Marcel Dareus yes; top of list

Kyle Williams NFW!!!!! He signed a contract and got a boo boo foot and basically quit on the team. Dump the guys with attitudes like this. Take the salary cap hit.

Aaron Williams yes #2 on the list

Jarius Byrd yes

I would add:

Jackson

Johnson

S Chandler

Wilson - Maybe a little too old?

McKelvin. Yes McKelvin. When he got beat this year he has good coverage and turned the wrong way or the receiver made an awesome catch. He was right there with guys most of the time.

Moorman and Lindell

I would like to see some other guys like Shepard and Hairston develop into core players but they haven't yet.

McKelvin. Yes McKelvin. When he got beat this year he has good coverage and turned the wrong way or the receiver made an awesome catch. He was right there with guys most of the time.

Check this out (bottom chart):

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/early-look-2011-cb-charting

This sums up what makes McKelvin so maddening. Also maddening is the fact that they basically let Greer walk so that they could start McKelvin...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Check this out (bottom chart):

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2011/early-look-2011-cb-charting

This sums up what makes McKelvin so maddening. Also maddening is the fact that they basically let Greer walk so that they could start McKelvin...

Nice article and stats.

Basically says that McKelvin is the typical all or nothing type of DB. While he has been burnt for some big plays he has also made some big stops. When you compare him to Greer he doesn't look so great. But McKelvin is progressing,albeit slowly and not what you want out of a round 1 pick. But i think it would be foolish to let the guy go now, when he is showing signs of being a good DB. Also the Bills might be able to benefit from him not having a totally succesful earl career, and sign him to a managable contract for 3 more years. Oh and he is only 26 his prime should be for atleast another 3-4 years.

Offense:

Fitz- Regardless of what anyone thinks or says, he's here to stay and as long as Chan is the HC we won't be drafting another QB for another 2 years. Chan will be all in on Fitz until he's either fired or a stud falls into our laps on draft day.

Spiller- I don't get why Chan doesn't think he can't be a feature back. They guy had 16 carries last game and 12 the game before but with 7 receptions but he continues to use Choice on 3rd downs. Ugh!!!

Johnson- Regardless if you think he's a true #1 or a #2, he's good and he wants to be here. We have to stop finding talent in the draft only to trade them or let them walk when they actually get good, Greer, Poz, Clements, Winfield, Fat Pat, Fat Ted, Willis, Henry, etc.... I know some of these guys I have said I am glad are gone, but as a whole we need to do what we can to keep these guys and make them happy to be here. If that means tons of cash, then do it.

Wood, Levitre, Hairston, Ubrik- see above, don't let these guys walk.

Defense:

Byrd- No explanation needed

A. Williams- No explanation needed

Dareus- No explanation needed

I'd add K. Williams except I honestly don't believe he's really that good. I feel he was extremely overpaid and doesn't belong in a 3-4 defense at all. If we decide to stick with a 4-3 I'm extrely happy to build around Williams and Dareus as our new version of Williams and Washington.

OFFENSE:

Eric Wood

Andy Levitre

DEFENSE:

Marcel Dareus

Kyle Williams

Aaron Williams

Jarius Byrd

Perhaps it would help if you define "core player"?

Fred Jackson seems like a glaring omission on offense.

George Wilson and Nick Barnett seem like glaring omissions on D by any definition.

In terms of quality players we ought to re-sign and retain, or continue to develop, I think there's a much longer list.

Perhaps it would help if you define "core player"?

Fred Jackson seems like a glaring omission on offense.

George Wilson and Nick Barnett seem like glaring omissions on D by any definition.

In terms of quality players we ought to re-sign and retain, or continue to develop, I think there's a much longer list.

I tried to define it as someone whom the FO believes will be here in 5 years. I love Freddy, but I don't see him making it here that long. Esp. with CJ playing so well.

OFFENSE:

Eric Wood

Andy Levitre

DEFENSE:

Marcel Dareus

Kyle Williams

Aaron Williams

Jarius Byrd

Fred Jackson and George Wilson appear to be strong leaders.