And with the 2012 selection the Buffalo Bills Selet....

UticaBill

The all-time best Bills TEs are Jay Riemersma (7th rd), and of course, Metzelaars (trade, drafted 3rd round by Seattle). McKeller and Reuben Gant might be characterized as effective.

For those of us who grew up in the stone ages, there's also Ernie Warlick and then Paul Seymour. Jan White was very good too.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good call on Warlick. Why was White's career cut so short? I don't have the info...

I believe it was a knee injury.

This was back in the days when recovering from knee injuries was much more difficult than it is today because arthroscopic surgery and other techniques didn't yet exist.

Knee injuries ended lots of careers in those days.

The only positions that the Bills don't need help in are:

- Center

- Guard

- RB

- Safety

- TE (if you believe in Chandler - I'm not sure yet)

Other than those spots the Bills could use help everywhere. I don't see 1st round QB talent being available when the Bills pick in the 1st round so I agree, put the QB position aside in round 1 and draft a project.

In the 1st round I'd like to see the Bills select the player who has their highest rating and plays one of the following positions: OLB, WR, MLB. I would not draft a OT, CB or TE in round 1.

Just my opinion

You didn't really think they would draft a QB in the first any way did you ?? The only way is if luck fell to us or maybe RG3 ???? HUH !! Can you say pass rusher !!!

if they are gonna give up 2 firsts a second and a player they better do it for luck. with that aside i think if couples drops far enough down hed be good or courtney upshaw for pass rushers/LB upshaw can move all over and play ILB or OLB and has put his hand on the ground to play DE. if alshon jeffry is still there i wouldnt be mad at the pick

1324674145[/url]' post='2343923']

Have we won any games this year? If yes, then we have a QB that can win. We do not, however, have a team that can sustain winning.

So every qb that has won a game has a chance to win the SB if he has decent talent around him? It's an extremely sarcastic yet uninformative post. Make some sense. Good luck hoping fitz can bring us a SB ring. Even better luck hoping the FO can assemble a superior talented team that can carry fitz to a SB.

1324952251[/url]' post='2346069']

You didn't really think they would draft a QB in the first any way did you ?? The only way is if luck fell to us or maybe RG3 ???? HUH !! Can you say pass rusher !!!

HUH!!! Can you say QB?? Our qb leads the nfl in picks, struggles on 3rd down, has trouble throwing any pass over 3 yards with accuracy (has troubles even throwing screens), lost 7 games a row at one point, wears a wedding ring, has an arm that has clearly broken down during the season (or maybe it looks like its weaker because of all the injuries we suffered.....). Anyone who doesn't think drafting a qb should considered is truly a fitz homer. A good qb IS our biggest need. Has been since Kelly retired. Is one available for us this year? Moving up for Luck or rg3 seems to be the only option in the 1st rd at this point. Dam you Matt Barkley!!!

The only positions that the Bills don't need help in are:

- Center

- Guard

- RB

- Safety

- TE (if you believe in Chandler - I'm not sure yet)

Other than those spots the Bills could use help everywhere. I don't see 1st round QB talent being available when the Bills pick in the 1st round so I agree, put the QB position aside in round 1 and draft a project.

In the 1st round I'd like to see the Bills select the player who has their highest rating and plays one of the following positions: OLB, WR, MLB. I would not draft a OT, CB or TE in round 1.

Just my opinion

Tannehill will be there for us in the second. I like Tannehill (not because I am an A&M fan) but because he ran a pro style offense in college, is a solid athelete and the aggies ran a similiar offense to the Bills, always five wide a lot from the shot gun and I think he is a late first round talent that will be there in the second. Plus he can help at WR (55 rec, 844 yrds, 5 TD's redshirt freshman year) and is the solid second QB you are looking for to groom. I think you can get OT depth later, plus I think we need to keep Bell, we got pears for a couple more years and Hariston can hold his own and is the future RT for this team if you ask me. If only Bell can stay healthy he was having a good year and dominated over a good pass rusher this past weekend IMO. But the Tannehill thing makes sense to me. Move Smith to permanent WR and you have depth there on the roster. Still waiting to see what Easley can do at WR.

The Bills never do what The Senator suggests - otherwise Graham Harrell would be wearing a Buffalo Bills uniform today (yes, OK, they did finally try to sign him away from the Packers - three years after I implored them to sign the kid as an UDFA) - as would Ryan Mallett, Michael Oher, Rob Gronkowski, Alex Henery, et al, and our Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator would be...

Mike Leach

That said - and knowing full well that, once again, these and countless other great suggestions from fairly astute TSW posters will fall on the deaf ears of One Bills Drive - here are The Senator's absolutely futile suggestions for rounds 1 thru 3 of the 2012 NFL draft...

1) Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama

2) Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahama State

3) Nick Foles, QB, Arizona

That should get Buddy thru Thursday and Friday of the April draft. If he listens to me on any of these picks, I'll come back with some thoughts on Saturday's rounds 4-7 picks...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

7 and 9 baby!!!!! B-)

Have we won any games this year? If yes, then we have a QB that can win. We do not, however, have a team that can sustain winning.

Hahaha, this is one of the most ridiculous things I have seen written on here lately. By your definition, every QB in NFL history except the ones that played for the winless Lions was a QB that you can build around.

I wonder if AJ Green and Julio Jones know this?

Our WR corps is pathetic. Even when healthy they are no great shakes. Nelson and Chandler are the only ones worth keeping. Ok, if you think SJ is, then SJj too. We need a couple of studs to round out the line up. Draft the best WR when we pick and then sign a FA like Colston or Meachum or Wayne or LLoyd or Jackson or Manningham or Burress or Royal or Gonzalez or Edwards or any of the other good ones out there.

the best thing to help a mediocre to above mediocre QB is WRs who can catch the ball. Even the bad passes.

For every AJ Green or Julio Jones I can show you 1000 WRs that took at least 2 years to be good.... You're exceptions prove the rule. :)

Edited by UticaBill

For those harking for a QB, while I agree with most of what you say about Fitz, I also think that you can agree that virtually all of Fitz's troubles started happening after we started losing O-linemen, WR's and TE's... even FJ later on. Those kinds of disruptions can have dramatic effects on QB play so I feel its IMPOSSIBLE to accurately determine how much Fitz is to blame for the 7-game slide. No, if anything can be concluded it was that our defense contributed the most to that slide....

I actually think we got some very decent WR's who pose difficult matchups for opponents. IF Easley ever shows in a game what he does in practice we may have another SJ level talent already in the fold, but I also really like Jones and Nelson and what they bring. Jones, when healthy was surprisingly good outside. Let's not forget Roscoe Parrish went down in wk2.... though he might not be back. I expect we will draft a WR we almost always do... but its not a #1 imperative.... I'd rather draft a QB to a WR....

Let's go back and look at the 5-2 Bills of the first 7 weeks. Their biggest problem was not offense but defense. The offense only broke down once injuries in all three aspects of the offense broke down. Its very difficult to lay blame on Fitz or Chan when the protection is in constant flux, constant replacement receivers to throw to, and loss of you're #1 weapon. The defense on the other hand has been awful in all except the past 2 games. Yes, they got lucky with turnovers.... Those turnovers were gifts though on badly thrown balls, not a result of QB pressure or skilled DB's...

The one thing I am certain of is that we NEED to use Kyle Williams and Marcell Dareus inside in a base 4-3 alignment! Couple that with a pair of speedy outside LB's that can cover the edge and at least one DE that can pressure the passer with some regularity and we'll have a major improvement.

The Bills never do what The Senator suggests - otherwise Graham Harrell would be wearing a Buffalo Bills uniform today (yes, OK, they did finally try to sign him away from the Packers - three years after I implored them to sign the kid as an UDFA) - as would Ryan Mallett, Michael Oher, Rob Gronkowski, Alex Henery, et al, and our Head Coach/Offensive Coordinator would be...

Mike Leach

That said - and knowing full well that, once again, these and countless other great suggestions from fairly astute TSW posters will fall on the deaf ears of One Bills Drive - here are The Senator's absolutely futile suggestions for rounds 1 thru 3 of the 2012 NFL draft...

1) Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama

2) Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahama State

3) Nick Foles, QB, Arizona

That should get Buddy thru Thursday and Friday of the April draft. If he listens to me on any of these picks, I'll come back with some thoughts on Saturday's rounds 4-7 picks...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

7 and 9 baby!!!!! B-)

I'm just starting to look at the draft prospects and from first impressions I'd much rather have Nick Perry than Courtney Upshaw. From looking at the various videos of these players, Upshaw has serious midget arms. I don't remember any great pass NFL rusher who had short arms. That doesn't mean he won't be a solid performer, but I think he'll never be the pass rusher we are looking for. I think that Nick Perry is that kind of player. First off, he has a Demarcus Ware pass rusher body with the long arms and legs. Secondly, he looks like he has probowl OLB potential.

I'm just starting to look at these players so my mind can change but as of right now, I'm in the Nick Perry camp. Then if we could draft Bruce Irvin in the second we are set in the pass rushing department!

RG3 will be long gone by the Bills pick, which is a good thing. He has bust written all over him. I'd take Courtney Upshaw with the first pick, best WR in the second.

We certainly see things differently. I see a great kid/leader who looks ready to blossom in the NFL.

This team still has a lot of needs.

The short list (in this order):

1. A franchise QB - Fitz can keep the chair warm until we find one.

2. OLBs (yes two) that can rush from the edge - we need a real play maker on the defensive front 7 to compliment Dareus and Kyle.

3. WR - more speed, better routes and better hands - Easley, Jones, Roosvelt, Ruvell Martin and Hagen are not cutting it.

4. A beast at LT - Bell is good when healthy (but rarely is he healthy), Hairston looks like a good swing tackle and maybe a better project for RT.

I think we have to go OLB/DE or WR with the first pick.

Edited by Bob in STL

I say we need to get RG3 by any means. We just have to get a QB. Give up this yrs first, next yrs first plus a player if you have to.

Fitz as much as I like him won't get you to the Super bowl.

We can use the rest of the draft on a DE, OLB, WR. I want a QB that can win. We don't have that right now.

How's that "have to get a QB" thing working out for Spagnuolo and the Rams?

WHILE THE POST ORIGINATOR STATED SOME IDEAS HE SHOULD'VE CHECKED OUT COPLES BETTER .HE IS THE PROTOTYPE SIZE FOR A NFL DE .BUT HES PLAYED VERY AVERAGE ,UPSHAW IS THE MOST OBVIOUS CHOICE HERE AND IVE STATED HIM AS A PERSONAL FAVORITE ,BUT AGAIN HIS TEAMMATE HIGHTOWER SEEMS TO BE QUIETLY BLASTING UP THE RATINGS, HE MAY BE THE GUY WE WIND UP WITH IF UPSHAW IS TAKEN EARLIER..,,SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS THE BUTTON IS STUCK AGAIN.

This team still has a lot of needs.

The short list (in this order):

1. A franchise QB - Fitz can keep the chair warm until we find one.

2. OLBs (yes two) that can rush from the edge - we need a real play maker on the defensive front 7 to compliment Dareus and Kyle.

3. WR - more speed, better routes and better hands - Easley, Jones, Roosvelt, Ruvell Martin and Hagen are not cutting it.

4. A beast at LT - Bell is good when healthy (but rarely is he healthy), Hairston looks like a good swing tackle and maybe a better project for RT.

I think we have to go OLB/DE or WR with the first pick.

Wait, now I'm all confused. Your list "in this order" has "franchise QB" first, but you say we need to go OLB/DE or WR with the first pick?

I don't disagree - in fact I agree with that last - but how does it jibe with your short list and its order?