49ers defense OR Packers offense

maddenboy

If you could trade our entire offense for Green Bay's offense, and keep our Defense intact, OR trade our entire defense for San Francisco's defense but keep our offense, which would you choose?

And why?

I say the Niners defense. Easy. They are young, strong, hungry. They are what we wish we were.

If we had the Packers offense, they would only get 5 or 6 possessions per game, because teams would pound our defense to death playing keep-away. But with a top defense, our Offense would get more chances, and Fitz wouldnt have to try to win every game. Then we could take our time in FA and Draft to build up our offense.

Can I get my linebackers now? (If I can get one of the top 3 qbs this year, I will take him. Otherwise, front 7 for at least the first 3 picks). You cant have too many linebackers and pass rushers. That's why the Giants keep drafting DEs and the Steelers keep drafting linebackers. And the Bills keep drafting running backs.

Edited by maddenboy

Trade defenses, but cut Donte Whitner, I watched that game very intently on defense to see if he looked any different on a good defense. He did not. He was very good at not being around the ball and putting hard hits on receivers downfield, and tackling well after a long gain. It has been said that since we let him go, he has become a great player, and that the Bills just can't coach players, I respectfully disagree with that notion.

1324391202[/url]' post='2341033']

DEFENSE. GB offense got beat by KC... not outscored. it was.................... everyone with me now.... DEFENSE.

You're talking abut me game sir.

1324391204[/url]' post='2341034']

I'll take Green Bay's defense and San Fran's offense over this pile of garbage we have here.

Lol

Gotta take the Packers offense, easpecially if Aaron Rogers comes included. NFL football, right now, is all about offense...the rules are stacked against great defense.

I'd trade our entire offense for Aaron Rodgers. GB offense by a long shot.

Exactly! An elite offense, with the way the rules are now, will shred the best defenses.

I'm pretty surprised most people picked offense so far. Another problem with the "elite offense" argument... an elite offense inherently includes an elite QB. If said elite QB goes down, elite offense is dead.

If an elite defensive player goes down, it's much easier to throw in another guy to fill in without disastrous results.

Edited by markgbe

I will take a healthy Packers offense over a healthy San Fran defense any day. The reason the packers lost is because of injuries. Playing 3rd string guys on their offensive line. I think that is more devastating than losing their #1 receiver.

If they meet in the playoffs we will see who wins! My bet would be on the packers and winning big (they will have some of the guys back from injury at this point).

However I still think the best team in the NFL is the New Orleans Saints right now with Drew Brees (I know the pack beat them week 1). I would rather have Brees over Rodgers.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I'm pretty surprised most people picked offense so far. Another problem with the "elite offense" argument... an elite offense inherently includes an elite QB. If said elite QB goes down, elite offense is dead.

If an elite defensive player goes down, it's much easier to throw in another guy to fill in without disastrous results.

like if kyle williams goes down, you can throw in troup ?

this could be argued many ways, but if you could pick any player in the league to start a franchise with, your first pick would/should be a franchise QB and go from there. therefore, in this scenario, you take GB's offense over SF defense.

Green Bay offence, hands down. That Offence is 13-1 right now with plenty of big wins. I also don't view the KC game as being a knock against the Packers team because I seriously believe that they threw the game against them. I believe that they intentionally lost to the Chiefs in order to get rid of the "perfect season" talk/pressure and allow them to focus on the playoffs and another Super Bowl win. A perfect season is nice, but overall its meaningless in the grand scheme of things unless you win the Super bowl. Maybe McCarthy learned from watching the Patriots and hearing the constant questions/talk of a "Perfect season" its not worth it. Losing to the Chiefs has very little impact on them and the NFC standings (compared to losing to the Bears this week) and now he can rest players without it looking like he doesn't care about going 16-0

The 49ers defence would be nice, but unless they can get points, your hoping that the defence can continue to play mistake free and hold the other team. The offences job is to score points, I would much prefer a team that is a serious threat to score and get back points if my defence gives up a TD or FG

Edited by apuszczalowski

Lets see how it shakes out in the playoffs. I hope the two teams play each other and I suspect the Packers would win handily.

They will end up meeting a high powered offense spread offense one way or another (Saints, Packers).

Despite their record I don't think they are as good as their record shows. Surely their defense is all cracked up to what it is but they play in the weakest division in football. I don't think they match up well to either of these teams. Packers and Saints defense you can make plays on but they are opportunistic with turnovers.

Having a great defense alone isn't enough to win championships anymore like it was in the past. The game has changed alot. I have a hard time thinking the 49ers will be able to beat two high powered offenses potentially like the Saints and Packers to get to the SB.

Agree. And the single biggest factor is the quarterback position. This current NFL game is not the same as it was when the Ravens won the championship.

I don't know if I completly agree with that, but to win on defence alone, you need to have an outstanding defence, not just a good one. You need a defence that can either hold teams to under 15 points a game (roughly) or one that is a turnover machine that can convert turnovers into points.

A high scoring offence is easier to achieve then an outstanding defence, and a high scoring offence can compensate for a mediocre defence. To win in the NFL, or any sport, you have to be able to score points, its that simple. If your defence allows the opponent to score, they better be able to come back and get those points back if you plan on winning. Defences can keep you in the game and give you the occasional points on turnovers, but they can't be expected to make up for an offence that can't get into the endzone. Take the Bills this season. They started out the year with the same defenc they have now. When they were winning, they were still giving up alot of yards and points, but they won because they had an offence that would come back and get those points back. They started struggling to win when the offence sputtered and failed to score, they started losing

Gotta take the Packers offense, easpecially if Aaron Rogers comes included. NFL football, right now, is all about offense...the rules are stacked against great defense.

Exactly! An elite offense, with the way the rules are now, will shred the best defenses.

They sure shredded Kansas City this weekend. Hammered them...I'll bet Kansas City won't soon forget that beatin..wait what? Kansas Cities defense smacked the packers in the mouth?? :oops:

They sure shredded Kansas City this weekend. Hammered them...I'll bet Kansas City won't soon forget that beatin..wait what? Kansas Cities defense smacked the packers in the mouth?? :oops:

The Packers were also really banged up that game especially in terms of the players protecting the QB. If they do have weakness it is their offense line but having 3rd stringers in there and guys rotated all over the place they showed they can be exposed. Your argument should be in context to a VERY injured Packers offense, KC dominated them.

The Packers would beat them any other day.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

That was bound to happen one week...a minor bump in the road for the Packers...it just about every anticapated "battle of NFL titans" this year ends up being either a blow-out by the better offensive team, or a shoot-out...the art of defense is being lost nowadays. When the Bills won their first 4 games, they did it with offense...

Edited by Buftex

If you could trade our entire offense for Green Bay's offense, and keep our Defense intact, OR trade our entire defense for San Francisco's defense but keep our offense, which would you choose?

And why?

I say the Niners defense. Easy. They are young, strong, hungry. They are what we wish we were.

If we had the Packers offense, they would only get 5 or 6 possessions per game, because teams would pound our defense to death playing keep-away. But with a top defense, our Offense would get more chances, and Fitz wouldnt have to try to win every game. Then we could take our time in FA and Draft to build up our offense.

Can I get my linebackers now? (If I can get one of the top 3 qbs this year, I will take him. Otherwise, front 7 for at least the first 3 picks). You cant have too many linebackers and pass rushers. That's why the Giants keep drafting DEs and the Steelers keep drafting linebackers. And the Bills keep drafting running backs.

both but with more running.