Stevie Johnson: After the INT

Not sure if anyone saw this with the blackout and all. Fitzy threw yet another underthrown, deep left pass to SJ in the 3rd quarter, resulting in an easy INT. What really bothered me, though, was SJ's reaction after the INT. First of all, he made no attempt to defend the pass from being picked off and no attempt to even tackle the CB. Then, after he realized it was intercepted, he just started bitching and flailing his arms, maybe calling for a flag?? I have no idea. He never even thought to touch the CB, who fell to the turf untouched, until it was too late. It didn't result in any return yarage, but I still think it's very telling how a WR reacts to an INT. Sure, the pass was bad, but it's one on one coverage. At least try to make a leap for it. At least TOUCH THE GUY. SJ couldn't be bothered. He just doesn't have his head in the game. TO took a lot of flak for doing the same thing 2 years ago, so I thought I'd mention it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if anyone saw this with the blackout and all. Fitzy threw yet another underthrown, deep left pass to SJ in the 3rd quarter, resulting in an easy INT. What really bothered me, though, was SJ's reaction after the INT. First of all, he made no attempt to defend the pass from being picked off and no attempt to even tackle the CB. Then, after he realized it was intercepted, he just started bitching and flailing his arms, maybe calling for a flag?? I have no idea. He never even thought to touch the CB, who fell to the turf untouched, until it was too late. It didn't result in any return yarage, but I still think it's very telling how a WR reacts to an INT. Sure, the pass was bad, but it's one on one coverage. At least try to make a leap for it. At least TOUCH THE GUY. SJ couldn't be bothered. He just doesn't have his head in the game. TO took a lot of flak for doing the same thing 2 years ago, so I thought I'd mention it.

Saw it. SJ has bigger problems with his game than that.

You don't have to try so hard to find something to complain about. It was yet another bad pass down a sideline. De ja vu all over again as it were. Stevie's head is in the game, Fitz just has to get the ball in his hands. The real question is, where is Fitz's head?

You don't have to try so hard to find something to complain about. It was yet another bad pass down a sideline. De ja vu all over again as it were. Stevie's head is in the game, Fitz just has to get the ball in his hands. The real question is, where is Fitz's head?

No issue with Johnson putting no effort into getting it, or at least preventing it from being intercepted?

T.O. would have been (and was if memory serves) tarred and feathered for that.

Definitely Deja Vu. Fitzy CANNOT make that deep left throw if his life depended on it. Not trying to excuse his play at all. It was awful. I just can't stand seeing a wide receiver screaming for flags when the play isn't even over. Very TO-esque.

Stevie is gone. He was clearly frustrated with Fitz and would have had 150 yards easily if a capable quarterback was throwing the ball. He was open downfield on a number of occasions where Fitz missed by 10 yards. There is no way he is coming back for more seasons like this. If they want to keep him, the Bills only chance is to franchise tag him for 1 year, draft a QB this year, and hope this new QB shows enough in the 1st year to convince Stevie to come back. I doubt that happens.

SJ was terribly off balance as a result of trying to come back to the ball. He stumbled and had NO chance of doing anything. That play to me was 100% on Fitz. The dude just can't throw the long ball with any accuracy anymore.

No issue with Johnson putting no effort into getting it, or at least preventing it from being intercepted?

T.O. would have been (and was if memory serves) tarred and feathered for that.

SJ was not in any position to effectively break that play up. Tarred and feathered. To my knowledge that does not happen anymore. Fitz owns these wonderful INTs that he throws, just accept it.

SJ was terribly off balance as a result of trying to come back to the ball. He stumbled and had NO chance of doing anything. That play to me was 100% on Fitz. The dude just can't throw the long ball with any accuracy anymore.

I feel like David Nelson would have came back to the ball to challenge the CB. This team needs more WRs like Nelson. How many passes to Nelson result in INTs? How many to SJ? I have lost count.

Edited by mountainwampus

Definitely Deja Vu. Fitzy CANNOT make that deep left throw if his life depended on it. Not trying to excuse his play at all. It was awful. I just can't stand seeing a wide receiver screaming for flags when the play isn't even over. Very TO-esque.

SJ is not TO. Fitz can't throw the deep ball. The past 7 games proves it.

I feel like David Nelson would have came back to the ball to challenge the CB. This team needs more WRs like Nelson. How many passes to Nelson result in INTs? How many to SJ? I have lost count.

They run a different package of routes between the 2. Coming back to the QB from a slant or curl is way different than coming back from a go or post route, especially when the ball is underthrown 10 to 15 yards.

So where is SJ's head when he drops TDs and long bombs that hit him in the hands with nobody withing 8 yards of him? Not even talking about last years drops just this years.

SJ is not TO. Fitz can't throw the deep ball. The past 7 games proves it.

They run a different package of routes between the 2. Coming back to the QB from a slant or curl is way different than coming back from a go or post route, especially when the ball is underthrown 10 to 15 yards.

Very true, but look at how good Nelson catches awful passes. He had an unreal one-handed grab on a crossing route that looked uncatchable. Fitzy needs BIG targets. SJ needs perfect throws. The chemistry is not there anymore. Chan needs to bury that deep left pass play. Spiller could've used more touches in that game.

Stevie Johnson is NOT a winning player.

Million Dollar Body, One Dollar Head

And aint worth a nickel. Resigning him will be a collossal mistake. Worse than the Fitz debacle.

Stevie was clearly frustrated with Fitzy all day. Fitzy threw terrible pass after terrible pass and really, gave his WRs today, no chance at making a play, epecially when he tried to get the ball to Stevie.

I don't think that Stevie is the problem. He is a diva at times, but so aren't half the other WRs in the NFL. Face it, in the NFL today, there is no such thing as a WR corp that are humble. You're not going to find it.

Exactly right. It's sad when Bills fans are as dumb as Soloman Wilcox.

The pass looked exactly like the 2 Fitz threw to lose the Giants game.

Thumbs down.... SJ is a monster if Fitz ever looks like an nfl qb again....thumbs down to all the Stevie and spiller doubters...

And aint worth a nickel. Resigning him will be a collossal mistake. Worse than the Fitz debacle.

Ain't worth a nickel ? Tighten up w the comments. SJ is a stud.... Let's get a qb who can get him the ball.

Thumbs down.... SJ is a monster if Fitz ever looks like an nfl qb again....thumbs down to all the Stevie and spiller doubters...

Stud? Monster? Hes not even ranked in the top 20 of the league.

Hes good. Got a lot of ability.

His immaturity is tough to take. And hurts the team at times.

I dont think the Bills should cut bait right now, but I wouldnt pay him like a top receiver, either. Not now.

Edited by RkFast

Exactly right. It's sad when Bills fans are as dumb as Soloman Wilcox.

The pass looked exactly like the 2 Fitz threw to lose the Giants game.

Amen. That INT is 100% Fitz's fault. Solomon Weelcots is an idiot.

Ain't worth a nickel ? Tighten up w the comments. SJ is a stud.... Let's get a qb who can get him the ball.

Your sooooooo right, just look at what happens when Fitz gets him the ball right to Stevies hands, he catches it 3 out of 4 times!

People need to wake up and watch games other then the Bills games, or pay attention to the WR's on the other teams we play. True #1 WR's make plays and catch even badly thrown balls. No QB in the league throws perfect passes all the time. The key to almost all good QB's is that they have WR's that can make plays out of passes that aren't perfect. Thats not to say that Fitz is not the problem, he has been horrible on alot of throws, but it doesn't help when he has WR's that drop balls that hit them in the hands, or guys that can't make a play on the ball unless its right to them.

Your sooooooo right, just look at what happens when Fitz gets him the ball right to Stevies hands, he catches it 3 out of 4 times!

People need to wake up and watch games other then the Bills games, or pay attention to the WR's on the other teams we play. True #1 WR's make plays and catch even badly thrown balls. No QB in the league throws perfect passes all the time. The key to almost all good QB's is that they have WR's that can make plays out of passes that aren't perfect. Thats not to say that Fitz is not the problem, he has been horrible on alot of throws, but it doesn't help when he has WR's that drop balls that hit them in the hands, or guys that can't make a play on the ball unless its right to them.

I'm sorry but this is completely a false statement. I do watch other games and have seen other "#1" receivers drop balls. Even balls in the end zone. Hell look at Brandon Marshall, he is 2nd in the League with dropped passes, which i know isn't an official state. Look at DeSean Jackson he dropped 3 would be TD's in one game. I don't know what it is with Bills Fans, when they need to bash a receiver or a player with talent. The guy has talent. But according to most fans on this board, there are only 7-8 "#1" receivers in the league. Last I checked there were 32 teams. But yea, lets run him out of town. I forgot #1 receivers have 10 yard long arms that account for balls being over and under thrown. My mistake.

I'm sorry but this is completely a false statement. I do watch other games and have seen other "#1" receivers drop balls. Even balls in the end zone. Hell look at Brandon Marshall, he is 2nd in the League with dropped passes, which i know isn't an official state. Look at DeSean Jackson he dropped 3 would be TD's in one game. I don't know what it is with Bills Fans, when they need to bash a receiver or a player with talent. The guy has talent. But according to most fans on this board, there are only 7-8 "#1" receivers in the league. Last I checked there were 32 teams. But yea, lets run him out of town. I forgot #1 receivers have 10 yard long arms that account for balls being over and under thrown. My mistake.

How dare football fans go to a football fan board to discuss a player's abilites and weigh the possibility of re-signing him to their favorite team!!!?????!!!!

What did Solomon say? I was at the game.

Solomon insisted that the INT was Stevie's fault because he didn't come back and knock the ball away from Vernon Davis. He just kept bashing stevie relentlessly for it.

He should have been blaming Fitz for making that God-awful throw.

Stud? Monster? Hes not even ranked in the top 20 of the league.

Hes good. Got a lot of ability.

His immaturity is tough to take. And hurts the team at times.

I dont think the Bills should cut bait right now, but I wouldnt pay him like a top receiver, either. Not now.

put him on a team that has a qb and top 20 would be easy to attain.....invalid statement....immaturity = having fun on td's OOOOOOOOO.....god forbid the bills ever have fun...

You go out there and try to catch balls from Dr. Inaccuracy a.k.a. the amish pop gun IS the ball gonna be behind you? over your head? its like a juggs machine gone wild.......

S Johnson is a good player. Probably not the #1, but he is worth resigning. I look at this way. If they paid the overrated F$tzmoney 9 mil a year, SJ is worth at least 6 mil a year. At least SJ has a upside.

Solomon insisted that the INT was Stevie's fault because he didn't come back and knock the ball away from Vernon Davis. He just kept bashing stevie relentlessly for it.

Thanks for filling me in. I agree that Solomon should've blamed Fitz, from a commentators standpoint.

My reason for focusing on SJ is the fact that his future remains uncertain, while Fitz has his contract already, whether we like it or not.

You must admit, it was kinda odd that he didn't even leap or make any attempt to touch Davis while he was making the pick. It made the catch all too easy.

Stevie is gone. He was clearly frustrated with Fitz and would have had 150 yards easily if a capable quarterback was throwing the ball. He was open downfield on a number of occasions where Fitz missed by 10 yards. There is no way he is coming back for more seasons like this. If they want to keep him, the Bills only chance is to franchise tag him for 1 year, draft a QB this year, and hope this new QB shows enough in the 1st year to convince Stevie to come back. I doubt that happens.

There are a bunch of QB's in the draft who could make those throws. Just look at the current rookie QB class. At least 3 of them could make those throws and would be an upgrade over Fitz.

Did ya miss the 4 drops by hakeem nicks yesterday? How about those packers WR's droppin balls left and right yesterday ? How about that Demaryius Thomas droppin tebow's bomb's left and right....Come on bro....your a good poster....but i got to admit I love me some Stevie....some of you on here no so much in the "stevie camp" homerville is I....haaa

Hmmm, is that because he ranks roughly #24 in receptions, routinely drops 3rd down catches, loses one game per year since being a starter by dropping well thrown TD passes, acts like a wanna be diva in the end zone, and would be buried on the depth chart of a few franchises, and wants close to 9 million per year for that!

Is that the guy that is "gone"

Too bad what a loss.

Try running full speed, stop, then turn to go back 5 yards (becasue your QB sucks at throwning the bomb) to make a play on the ball - The blame for that INT is 100% on Fitz. Johnson lost his balance - you are asking too much of the WR there. If they both jumped in unison for the ball it would have been a different story. The DB had a much much much better chance at making a play on that ball.

Hmmm, is that because he ranks roughly #24 in receptions, routinely drops 3rd down catches, loses one game per year since being a starter by dropping well thrown TD passes, acts like a wanna be diva in the end zone, and would be buried on the depth chart of a few franchises, and wants close to 9 million per year for that!

Is that the guy that is "gone"

Too bad what a loss.

#24 in receptions still puts him ahead of 8 other teams #1's. I also didn't say he's the best receiver in the league - far from it. However, he's the best on our team and it will take either a #1 pick, a pick later in the draft where we outsmart another NFL team (unlikely) or $9-10 million per year for a free agent to replace him. That's pretty substantial - his replacement cost is high. On most weeks he is still one of our top 2 or 3 offensive players.

There are a bunch of QB's in the draft who could make those throws. Just look at the current rookie QB class. At least 3 of them could make those throws and would be an upgrade over Fitz.

Agreed. To clarify - I meant that either we won't take one of those QBs or Stevie will bolt to a proven QB's team.

#24 in receptions still puts him ahead of 8 other teams #1's. I also didn't say he's the best receiver in the league - far from it. However, he's the best on our team and it will take either a #1 pick, a pick later in the draft where we outsmart another NFL team (unlikely) or $9-10 million per year for a free agent to replace him. That's pretty substantial - his replacement cost is high. On most weeks he is still one of our top 2 or 3 offensive players.

So to clarify your view. It would take a #1 pick to replace a #7(looks like we outsmarted 31 teams there) pick we drafted and groomed. As you remember in my previous post Johnson is far from a complete player in my humble opinion. He would be a nice complimentary receiver to a true @#1. I find it pretty foolish to think that we would need to pay 9 to 10 million to replace a serviceable #2. BTW there is a reason he lasted to the 7th round. Ball catching skills is most likely part of it.

I agree he has a place on the team. But come on 9 to 10 million to replace? I'm sorry there are true #1's at that price, not L. Fitzgerald but good players and they don't come with the drama this guy has. He was the laughing stock of the NFL after the jets game. They even burned him on the friggin Today show. He lost a game this year and last all by himself. Past Bills teams would not put up with that crap.

Johnson should tweet Donte and ask how it feels with a 2 million dollar whack from what the Bills had on the table, languishing and then accepting a huge cut from the 9ers. Where he is now a small fish in a big pond. Zero complaints here since Donte left. Johnson may experience the same thing. In the end although one of our 2 nest offensive players, I think he is replaceable, and lets face it we are arguably 20 players away from a solid contending team. Not just a team that could scratch its way in the playoffs and lose because of a TD drop.Should we let players like him go. No, but we should not be held hostage. In free agency I don't believe he will pull down true #1 money. he has to consider that because again Donte can tell him. In Buffalo i was a somebody in SF well I'm just an average player in an area that has a lot of professional sports franchises.

SJ was not in any position to effectively break that play up. Tarred and feathered. To my knowledge that does not happen anymore. Fitz owns these wonderful INTs that he throws, just accept it.

Oh I am not saying Fitz didn't deserve the INT for putting up a jump ball like that because he clearly does.

Just saying it would be nice to have seen Johnson care about it being intercepted before it was instead of just bitching to a referee after it was.

You are almost right. They both are to blame. Fitz for throwing such **** and Johnson for not giving a ****.

Try running full speed, stop, then turn to go back 5 yards (becasue your QB sucks at throwning the bomb) to make a play on the ball - The blame for that INT is 100% on Fitz. Johnson lost his balance - you are asking too much of the WR there. If they both jumped in unison for the ball it would have been a different story. The DB had a much much much better chance at making a play on that ball.

I guess my question is this: why was the DB the only one to recognize and adjust to the underthrow?

I see plenty of WRs come back to the ball and either make the catch or break up the INT. Seems like if Stevie doesn't get room service, he can't be bothered to go pick up the food himself.

So to clarify your view. It would take a #1 pick to replace a #7(looks like we outsmarted 31 teams there) pick we drafted and groomed. As you remember in my previous post Johnson is far from a complete player in my humble opinion. He would be a nice complimentary receiver to a true @#1. I find it pretty foolish to think that we would need to pay 9 to 10 million to replace a serviceable #2. BTW there is a reason he lasted to the 7th round. Ball catching skills is most likely part of it.

I agree he has a place on the team. But come on 9 to 10 million to replace? I'm sorry there are true #1's at that price, not L. Fitzgerald but good players and they don't come with the drama this guy has. He was the laughing stock of the NFL after the jets game. They even burned him on the friggin Today show. He lost a game this year and last all by himself. Past Bills teams would not put up with that crap.

Johnson should tweet Donte and ask how it feels with a 2 million dollar whack from what the Bills had on the table, languishing and then accepting a huge cut from the 9ers. Where he is now a small fish in a big pond. Zero complaints here since Donte left. Johnson may experience the same thing. In the end although one of our 2 nest offensive players, I think he is replaceable, and lets face it we are arguably 20 players away from a solid contending team. Not just a team that could scratch its way in the playoffs and lose because of a TD drop.Should we let players like him go. No, but we should not be held hostage. In free agency I don't believe he will pull down true #1 money. he has to consider that because again Donte can tell him. In Buffalo i was a somebody in SF well I'm just an average player in an area that has a lot of professional sports franchises.

Yeah, i'm sure Whitner is crushed that he's starting on a 10-3 team that is headed to the playoffs. the Bills sure got the best of him in that deal.

You can't get a great #1 WR for $9 million per season. The top guys are making 8 figures per season. That puts Stevie in the second tier of top WRs, at 8-9 million per season, which is about his talent level.

Did ya miss the 4 drops by hakeem nicks yesterday? How about those packers WR's droppin balls left and right yesterday ? How about that Demaryius Thomas droppin tebow's bomb's left and right....Come on bro....your a good poster....but i got to admit I love me some Stevie....some of you on here no so much in the "stevie camp" homerville is I....haaa

I'm not saying that #1 WR's don't drop the occasional passes, but they usually make up for it by also grabbing passes that are badly thrown and rarely drop ones that are thrown right to their hands. I don't see Stevie as being a great #1 WR. Don't get me wrong, I am all for re-signing him to a decent contract, but I think he would be a much better #2 then the #1. I don't see him out there making those highlight type catches you see from other teams WR's on a routine basis. Good WR's can catch balls that are thrown to them, great WR's can catch balls that require them to make a play on. I have watched plenty of other games and seen WR's go up and make catches above the CB's covering them, make diving catches and grab ones that looked like they would be easily dropped.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be brought back, just that he shouldn't be the feature WR on this team, he is a great second WR