Kelvin Sheppard

Wagon Circler

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised to see all these positive articles about Kelvin sheppard. I guess there isn't much good news with this team.

I have been watching him very carefully these last few games and think he has been absolutely awful.He overpersues and gives up cutback lanes. Anyone else agree?

he does seem to be out of position a lot but ill give him the benefit of the doubt bc he is a rookie

he looks slow to me which is the bigger concern

On the plus side he has been thrown into the fire and as a previuos poster said, let's give him a full off-season and camp before a judgement can be made. On the negative side, he seems to be lost a in pass coverage. maybe some of that is the rookie factor but when I see a LB who can't make up that deficency with speed..well, it is a big concern.

He got beat bad on a few counter runs the last two weeks. When matched up on the TE he is getting worked in pass coverage. His speed isn't bad and he is tackling fairly well when he gets in front of the guy. He's not a guy I want starting next year.

Perfect description...The guy does not suck. But his athleticism certainly does not stand out. He looks awfully small to be playing in the middle. And does not seem to have a lot of instincts about where the play is going. Plays tentative, but that can be expected for a rookie. I really hope we can upgrade there. I think Kirk Morrison would have played better at the position. For a third round pick coming from a program as solid as LSU, I was expecting a whole lot more. We definitely need another stud at inside LB next to Barnett.

I posted the same topic on here a couple weeks ago. Got blasted by some who act like he`s the next Ray Lewis. He`s a rookie. So what, he doesn`t shed blocks or read plays very good. Coverage skills are also poor. Not fast enough.Starts over guys like Andre Davis and Morrison ,who I know are better than this rook. Bud and Chans pick.I think the run Defense up the gut is alot worse than when Davis was playing. If he`s not ready,don`t play him. He will get his chance in practice to show his worth, or injury. Best player should be on the field,not potential. But thats the Bills ,thats why we are what we are.Da Bills.

Perfect description...The guy does not suck. But his athleticism certainly does not stand out. He looks awfully small to be playing in the middle. And does not seem to have a lot of instincts about where the play is going. Plays tentative, but that can be expected for a rookie. I really hope we can upgrade there. I think Kirk Morrison would have played better at the position. For a third round pick coming from a program as solid as LSU, I was expecting a whole lot more. We definitely need another stud at inside LB next to Barnett.

One of the most confusing things for me, this season, has been Kirk Morrison's role on the team. He's been a consistent tackler over the last few years with Oakland and then the Jags, and I thought he and Barnett would be consistent, veteran help in the new scheme. Leaving the debate between whether we should play Sheppard to let him gain experience aside for a second, I think it's important to ask exactly what is going on with Morrison. He must have lost a step or two, because it is very strange for a guy who had, at worst, 89 tackles for decent defenses to come into one of the worst run defenses in the league and see basically no playing time.

I posted the same topic on here a couple weeks ago. Got blasted by some who act like he`s the next Ray Lewis. He`s a rookie. So what, he doesn`t shed blocks or read plays very good. Coverage skills are also poor. Not fast enough.Starts over guys like Andre Davis and Morrison ,who I know are better than this rook. Bud and Chans pick.I think the run Defense up the gut is alot worse than when Davis was playing. If he`s not ready,don`t play him. He will get his chance in practice to show his worth, or injury. Best player should be on the field,not potential. But thats the Bills ,thats why we are what we are.Da Bills.

Davis got the start over Morrison, to start the season. Davis lost his starting position to Sheppard, because Sheppard has more speed. Davis was chasing the play 10 yards down the field because he is too slow. Sheppard looked better than Davis. I still think he is the 2nd best ILB on this team, and he is a rookie. Since he is a rookie, he is going to struggle. The most important period for young players is training camp after their rookie year. they have their biggest jump in knowledge and skill.

Let's wait till at least next year before we drive him out like Poz and Fletcher.

and if Antonio Gates is so easy to cover, why is Gates a pro bowler?

Though, I'd like him to stop falling for misdirection runs.

The kid was locked out as so many of the rookies have suffered from, a lack of playbook before training camp. So he is mentally behind but making progress.

He was also injured wasnt he and missed the beginning of season. another step behind for him and others on our young team.

i dont think he is playing because we have none better, (Morrison?) but he is our future at the gap back. He is physical enough and smart and aggressive enough. He is learning from Nick which is is a very good thing.

Give him some time and support him for now. i do not know if other teams have such a fan base that always wants change but you folks can be absurd.

Lets let the kids play and see what we got. I mean he has Wannstadt coaching him! i could not ask for a better upside.

Barnett and Sheppard. get used to it and learn to like it. with K williams back and troup repaired, and heard, we should be very tough up the middle next year. go bills!

Edited by 3rdand12

I am surprised to see all these positive articles about Kelvin sheppard. I guess there isn't much good news with this team.

I have been watching him very carefully these last few games and think he has been absolutely awful.He overpersues and gives up cutback lanes. Anyone else agree?

Good player. A rookie with no OTAs, no camp and then hurt for half the season, then they throw him in....

with a full offseason and camp, he will be terrific. you'll see. gosh , Bills fans are knee jerk.. man..

Gailey said he's steadily improved over the past few weeks. Although Gailey also openly admits to not knowing what's going on on defense in games. <_<

You are correct, sir.

ProFootballFocus analyzes every defensive play and rates each player. Sheppard is continually improving, even in number of tackles. He exceeded his personal best in tackles 6 times out of 10 games, got a positive grade from PFF in run defense in 8 of 10 games, and in pass defense 5 out of 10 games. He had 11 tackles in his last game. I'm keeping this rookie.

You are correct, sir.

ProFootballFocus analyzes every defensive play and rates each player. Sheppard is continually improving, even in number of tackles. He exceeded his personal best in tackles 6 times out of 10 games, got a positive grade from PFF in run defense in 8 of 10 games, and in pass defense 5 out of 10 games. He had 11 tackles in his last game. I'm keeping this rookie.

Yes thats what I meant. thanks ptr! :)

I am going to say it here early.

K S is going to become a very efficient and well respected player in time.

and i am already hoping strongly that we develop him to his fullest potential here under the new linebackers coaching regime. Then with Nix aboard and in control retain him when he becomes one of the best. I hope we have changed the mentality that trades away guys like L Fletcher and the rest.

So i wont recall i said it, but I think Sheppard has the makeup to be the guy for us.

i still want to draft another for Barnett to teach. As his apprentice.

Edited by 3rdand12

He is a 3-4 ILB. He is not big enough nor does he have the range to play 4-3 middle LB. If they stick with the 3-4 and add a couple decent OLB's he may be a nice player for a while. Doesn't look nearly as good as Mayo with NE. That being said he already plays the run better than Poz and he is no worse in pass coverage.

He is a 3-4 ILB. He is not big enough nor does he have the range to play 4-3 middle LB. If they stick with the 3-4 and add a couple decent OLB's he may be a nice player for a while. Doesn't look nearly as good as Mayo with NE. That being said he already plays the run better than Poz and he is no worse in pass coverage.

He might not have the range to play MLB but he's plenty big enough- 3-4 ILBs are generally bigger than 4-3 MLBs

is he #55?

is he #55?

just googled it......sad to find out that he is. he looks really bad.-comical in pass coverage and open field tackling.

of course i just watched him closely in one game.

I have tried to focus on his play, and I agree that he does not look good. Slow, out of position and does not match up well in coverage. I understand that he is a rookie, so hopefully his play will improve, but I have my doubts.

My thoughts exactly and as posted i am wondering why Morrison hasn't seen hardly any time, sheppard looks like he lacks instincts and is slow, on the plus side looks like he brings a punch when he gets to the ball.

Yes thats what I meant. thanks ptr! :)

I am going to say it here early.

K S is going to become a very efficient and well respected player in time.

and i am already hoping strongly that we develop him to his fullest potential here under the new linebackers coaching regime. Then with Nix aboard and in control retain him when he becomes one of the best. I hope we have changed the mentality that trades away guys like L Fletcher and the rest.

So i wont recall i said it, but I think Sheppard has the makeup to be the guy for us.

i still want to draft another for Barnett to teach. As his apprentice.

Wtf are you talking about? None of this makes sense...am I missing something...can someone translate?