Carry 4 QB's on the 53 man roster??

LabattBlue

From an article in the Rochester D&C....

Donahoe said that neither Brown nor rookie first-round pick J.P. Losman — who suffered a broken leg last week at St. John Fisher College — will be placed on the season-ending injured reserve list. They will be carried on the active roster and be de-activated each week until they are ready to return.

"I think it will automatically short-change you (at another position), but you have to do what you have to do and what's best for us is to carry four," coach Mike Mularkey said.

We are going to carry four QB's for at LEAST 1 quarter of the season?? Ladies & Gentlemen could someone please explain why we would do this. Travis FREAKIN' Brown is not the future of the team nor does he appear to be a good #2 based on 4 training camps in Buffalo. Is TD saying that the other bubble guys have so little potential that we are going to cut them in order to keep Brown.

And a side note to DB regarding this quote....

"Travis is a guy I'm going to fight to keep around," Bledsoe said. "He's a veteran guy who's a great help to me. He's got to get back in the meeting room and on the sidelines with me because I need him around. Much like Alex Van Pelt was the last couple years, he's a guy I lean on when I come to the sidelines. He's a guy I lean on in the mornings when I'm watching film. He's going to have to get that thing fixed and get back in the meetings."

Stop worrying about saving a roster spot for your buddy and concentrate on your own play!

I think at least Losman, will go on the Pup list which allows us an extra slot, and the ability to activate him after, I think week 6. But that means he is out until at least then. Quite possible that Brown is placed there as well, and depending on how Matthews does, Brown may have an injury settlement and be cut before he is ready to go.

Eh....what can ya do?

How Brown keeps sticking around year after year just baffles me. I always figured it was just the fact that he knew the offense and wasn't ever really expected to play. Maybe he is a good guy to have on the sideline.

All I ever heard about Van Pelt was how good he was to have around, even when he did't play. He was like a second coach out there.

Or maybe he's just a good luck charm? Mascot? It's got to be something!

I think at least Losman, will go on the Pup list which allows us an extra slot, and the ability to activate him after, I think week 6.  But that means he is out until at least then.  Quite possible that Brown is placed there as well, and depending on how Matthews does, Brown may have an injury settlement and be cut before he is ready to go.

12710[/snapback]

When they played in the training camp and pre-season games, I don't think you can put them on the PUP. That is "Physically Unable to Play" list, and not the same as an injury while playing list.

When they played in the training camp and pre-season games, I don't think you can put them on the PUP. That is "Physically Unable to Play" list, and not the same as an injury while playing list.

12716[/snapback]

I thought they could go on PUP up until final cut. If I am wrong, then sorry. But I thought it only mattered come the seasons first game. Guess I'll have to do some research.

Nope I was right:

http://www.vertgame.com/rules_defs.html

PUP List

PUP—physically unable to perform—status is used by clubs to protect a player who is relatively seriously injured but who may recover soon enough to play again that same season. It is similar to major league baseball's 60-day disabled list. Contrast this with injured reserve status, where the player is ineligible for the remainder of the season.

A player who is put on the PUP list before the preseason's first roster cutdown (from 80 to 65 players) must remain inactive through the sixth week of the regular season. At that point, he has a three-week practice "window" before he must either return to the 53-man roster or end his season on injured reserve.

So why does Zolman automatically get cut on Sunday? I agree that he's not the future,,,,but he knows the offense and most of the playbook and he happened to throw the only TD pass of the preseason in a miniscule amount of action. If Bledsoe wnats Brown around so badly then cut him and bring him back as an asst. QB coach for the season. We need three healthy QB's on the roster right now.

Sorry clowns, this is the right move. We really can't cut Travis, he's much better than most of your arm chair coaches/GMs realize. Matthews will be gone by week four and you'll get your precious roster spot back. In the grand scheme of things this is the best move for our team.

Nope I was right:

http://www.vertgame.com/rules_defs.html

PUP List

PUP—physically unable to perform—status is used by clubs to protect a player who is relatively seriously injured but who may recover soon enough to play again that same season. It is similar to major league baseball's 60-day disabled list. Contrast this with injured reserve status, where the player is ineligible for the remainder of the season.

A player who is put on the PUP list before the preseason's first roster cutdown (from 80 to 65 players) must remain inactive through the sixth week of the regular season. At that point, he has a three-week practice "window" before he must either return to the 53-man roster or end his season on injured reserve.

12720[/snapback]

According to this, it's still a roster spot.

Jurevicius isn't the only player who will be sitting out practice for an indefinite period. Guard Matt O'Dwyer, who tore a pectoral muscle while lifting weights a few weeks ago, also is out.

O'Dwyer was placed on the active physically-unable-to- perform list and Jurevicius on the active non-football injury list, which means they can be activated any time before the Bucs set their 65-man regular- season roster.

At the time the roster is set, Jurevicius and O'Dwyer will have to be activated or placed on the inactive physically-unable-to-perform list, which requires the player to sit out six weeks.

``It doesn't give us extra guys on the roster, but you don't have to put a player on injured reserve,'' Gruden said of the benefits of putting a player on one of the active lists.

``It just basically says that the man is injured. A player will not be able to practice while on the PUP list, but can go to meetings without us having to put him on injured reserve.''

http://sports.tbo.com/sports/MGBJ80N3BXD.html

From an article in the Rochester D&C....

"Travis is a guy I'm going to fight to keep around," Bledsoe said. "He's a veteran guy who's a great help to me. He's got to get back in the meeting room and on the sidelines with me because I need him around. Much like Alex Van Pelt was the last couple years, he's a guy I lean on when I come to the sidelines. He's a guy I lean on in the mornings when I'm watching film. He's going to have to get that thing fixed and get back in the meetings."

Stop worrying about saving a roster spot for your buddy and concentrate on your own play!

12709[/snapback]

I think Drew's quote speaks for itself. Travis is the only other vet we have who has been in the new system since the beginning. You don't discuss job related issues with your piers at your job? Who exactly is not going to make the active roster that you are worried about? A sixth linebacker?

Keeping 4 QB's on the 53 man roster and keeping Travis Brown, period

is just too whacked out.

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, but this really makes no sense at all.

12727[/snapback]

No other team would take Travis Brown if the Bills gave him away. And that's been true for the last three years.

Donohoe doesn't micro-manage? Why has he forced this loser on his coaching staff? Maybe backup QBs are like kickers to TD; he thinks any bum will do.

Gruden's an idiot then.  Think back to last year.  We cut someone (can't remember who) when we brought Willis off the PUP.

12743[/snapback]

Willis didnt actively play or practice in the pre-season games. Gruden distinguished between the "inactive" pre-season PUP list, which Willis was on, and the "active" PUP list, which is what you're talking about. That is how I understand it.

No other team would take Travis Brown if the Bills gave him away.  And that's been true for the last three years.

Donohoe doesn't micro-manage?  Why has he forced this loser on his coaching staff?  Maybe backup QBs are like kickers to TD; he thinks any bum will do.

12741[/snapback]

That's just crap. How is he forcing Brown on the roster? Williams cut Brown last year, then we resigned him weeks later. In the off-season TD brought in numerous quarterbacks to look at and possibly sign, Kordell, Doug Johnson, etc. , then drafted another one #1 (to be the back-up and eventual starter) and then the coaches decided that Brown and Losman had played well enough in the mini-camps that they didnt need to have TD sign one of the veterans.

Donohoe doesn't micro-manage?  Why has he forced this loser on his coaching staff?  Maybe backup QBs are like kickers to TD; he thinks any bum will do.

12741[/snapback]

AJ what the fug do you know that no one else does? TD forced Brown on the staff? Backup QBs are available 24/7. Look at how quickly they decided on Mathews.

Congratulations, your post is the most idiotic in an idiotic thread. Now off to school with you. Everyone knows what's best for the team. Everyone but the head coach and GM that is. :unsure:

Holy cow fellas. Some of you cannot be serious with this thread. Our number 2 and 3 QBs went down with injuries. Travis could be back week 3. JP maybe after the halfway point. TD goes out and signs a stop gap player until that point. Now you guys are gonna cry that the Bills are carrying 4 QBs. WTF. You don't have anything better to complain about? Injuries happen. When they do, you have to make the best of it. Some of you B word like a bunch of little school girls. Unreal.

Holy cow fellas. Some of you cannot be serious with this thread. Our number 2 and 3 QBs went down with injuries. Travis could be back week 3. JP maybe after the halfway point. TD goes out and signs a stop gap player until that point. Now you guys are gonna cry that the Bills are carrying 4 QBs. WTF. You don't have anything better to complain about? Injuries happen. When they do, you have to make the best of it. Some of you B word like a bunch of little school girls. Unreal.

12752[/snapback]

I think posters are only looking for ways to keep the four quarterbacks available but use up only three roster spots at a time, so we don't have to cut one good player that could possibly help (like Dorenbos or Gildon or Peters or Lawton or one of the five safeties we want to keep). I don't think it can be done with the weird NFL rules.

12752[/snapback]

You mean to say it isn't a bunch of whining little school girls? :unsure: I thought it was. Everytime I come here, I hope for the beginning of school, so they will go away.

So in summary:

In order for our #2 QB and our QB of the future to attend VITAL team meetings (yet not practise) this season we need to place them on the 'active' PUP list. I don't believe anyone could argue against this methodology as JP clearly needs the mental reps this season and Travis Brown is clearly a benefit to Drew as an extra pair of eyes who know the team and the playbook.

Matthews limp arm is a great stop gap until one of our boys is healthy ernought to practise and play - presumably this is sometime in the next 4-6 weeks (max 9 weeks). We can easily afford to lose one of our backup LBs RBs DBs or TEs to accommodate 4 QBs for 8 weeks max. When we cut Matthews later we can bring in another journeyman from FA or upgrade someone from the practise squad to make up for the guy we cut. It's not a big deal.

12709[/snapback]

I think Drew's point is that he IS concentratin on his own play and Travis helps him do that. I find zero fault in that statement.

I also find zero fault in Donahoe & Mularkey keeping 4QBs on the roster. I don't think he has a choice. You want your future franchise to learn and participate in the team, so if you IR him you can't do that. Shane Matthews has zero experience in this offense, and has never been a stellar QB, let alone a good one. I repsect Donahoe for hedging his bets on this one. Additionally, I'll take Sam Wyche and Clements' opinion on Brown over about anyone's at this point.

So in summary:

In order for our #2 QB and our QB of the future to attend VITAL team meetings (yet not practise) this season we need to place them on the 'active' PUP list. I don't believe anyone could argue against this methodology as JP clearly needs the mental reps this season and Travis Brown is clearly a benefit to Drew as an extra pair of eyes who know the team and the playbook.

Matthews limp arm is a great stop gap until one of our boys is healthy ernought to practise and play - presumably this is sometime in the next 4-6 weeks (max 9 weeks). We can easily afford to lose one of our backup LBs RBs DBs or TEs to accommodate 4 QBs for 8 weeks max. When we cut Matthews later we can bring in another journeyman from FA or upgrade someone from the practise squad to make up for the guy we cut. It's not a big deal.

12776[/snapback]

If they're on the roster, which they will be, they can attend all meetings and all practices, participating in the practice whenever they are ready, obviously. Here is my summary...

It's a wee bit complicated but they have to carry four QBs on the active roster if they want to do what they want to do.

1. They will cut Zolman on the last day/cut and put him on the practice squad as emergency when no one claims him.

2. They will keep four QBs on the active roster (and already publicly said so) for several reasons: If you IR them, they are done for the season and cannot practice with the team. That means Losman's season would be shot and they want him to practice and maybe play some mop up duty in the last half of the season. He will likely be back practicing, even if it is 3/4 speed, by the midpoint of the season.

3. They apparently like Brown, at least a lot more than they do Shane Matthews, who is signed as a stopgap. TD said yesterday it may be even less than four weeks, for TB, which means he could be back as the #2 after the bye week, which is only two games.

4. Matthews is a necessity right now, but they won't need him, or likely keep him, after Brown is okay to play as a back-up. So, unless Brown's recovery does not go well, they will lose a roster spot now that they will make up after 3-4 weeks of the season.

5. This forces them to cut a player they may have wanted to keep for luxury or potential's sake (Lawton, Gildon, Jason Peters, Joe Burns, one of the five safeties, Dorenbos, etc.) and hope that they could get the rookies onto the practice squad (like Peters or Lawton). It is a nusiance more than anything and they might lose a pretty good player that they would LIKE to have but won't really hurt the team right now.

6. Fortunately, TD has loaded the team with players that can play multiple positions. They can cut Lawton and Burns and Peters and keep three TE's and one FB and still have Neufeld as the HB and back-up FB and keep either Shaud Williams or Simonton. They could cut Pucillo when they normally would have kept him because Tucker and Sobieski can play both back-up guard and back-up center. They could cut an extra CB, and just go with four for a couple games because PP has played it in college and in the NFL before. The roster spot taken last year for A. Brown will be open. Neufeld long snapped last game. There are ways to save the four QBs and still not put the team in jeopardy.

Congratulations, your post is the most idiotic in an idiotic thread.  Now off to school with you.  Everyone knows what's best for the team.  Everyone but the head coach and GM that is. ;)

12751[/snapback]

Why is a thread that questions the logic of keeping 4 QB's on your 53 man roster idiotic?

:unsure:

12752[/snapback]

It's called my OPINION. I'm not crying. I'm not bitching. I'm not saying I'm smarter than TD or MM. WTF is this board for genius? If the answer to every post is going to be "I think TD and MM know more than you do", than why not just stick to OT posts and forget about posting opinions about the Bills! :angry:

Maybe I should just start multiple posts about a nobodys wife who posed nude in Playboy 100 years ago instead!

going to be "I think TD and MM know more than you do"

In general they do but they aren't infallible like many on this board believe.

TD has done a few stupid moves as well as smart moves.

Questioning keeping Travis Brown around the team like a toddler holds on to his 'blanklie' is entirely appropriate.

This is my understanding of the QB situation, dates for avaiability and what it means. This is my best guess but is simply a marinally informed guess so I'd love to know where it is wrong. This guess is almost certainly wrong as the CBA rules are convoluted and often changing:

1st string QB: Bledsoe- fully active

2nd string QB: Zolman- Matthews who was just signed is better, but he knows the plays and the system far better than Matthews with a Thursday game coming so he will get the second highest amount of game time this Thursday because he will provide better practice and assessment time for those around him though he is most likely to go to the Practice Squad as the season begins.

3rd String QB: He really is our back-up for now but needs to learn the offense and signals pronto to play this role. He might actually be cut after Thrisday game or as the regular season start if the waiver wire provides us with a better alternative as out back-up.

Physically Unable to Perform QB (Inactive): Losman- the PUP list seems to be divided into an active PUP list and an inactive PUP list. Both types are banned from practicing with the team but the Active PUP list players can be reactivated sooner when their injury heals but the Inactive PUP list players must wait until after game 6. Losman is a good candidate for the Inactive list because he will not be ready to even practice before game 6 anyway. He will get to remain on the roster if he recovers (he won't on IR) and he still will be allowed to sit in the booth where he belongs and learn the game (and if he is sitting there soaking up Wyche's knowledge I think this would actually have been the best use for him even if he were healthy).

There is some dispute over whether he would take up a roster spot as an Inacrtive PUP. I don't believe he will so this seems to be the best place for him to be.

Physically Unable to Perform QB (Active): Brown- he may be ready to go as early as week 4 (the early bye really helps us a lot here ironically). My understanding is that he will take up a roster spot here. However, if he takes up a spot and leaves us with only two QBs ready to play in the first three games, this is exactly what we did last year when we went with only 2 QBs on the roster. Hw eill not be able to physically practice on the PUP list, but who cares as physicially he can't practice with the team anyway.

I'd love any corrections of this reading of the situation which anyone has that is connected to links or real facts rather than our shared lame opinons (I know folks feel Matthews is an upgrade over Brown but that isn't the issue right now).

This is my understanding of the QB situation, dates for avaiability and what it means. This is my best guess but is simply a marinally informed guess so I'd love to know where it is wrong. This guess is almost certainly wrong as the CBA rules are convoluted and often changing:

2nd string QB: Zolman- Matthews who was just signed is better, but he knows the plays and the system far better than Matthews with a Thursday game coming so he will get the second highest amount of game time this Thursday because he will provide better practice and assessment time for those around him though he is most likely to go to the Practice Squad as the season begins.

3rd String QB: He really is our back-up for now but needs to learn the offense and signals pronto to play this role. He might actually be cut after Thrisday game or as the regular season start if the waiver wire provides us with a better alternative as out back-up.

Physically Unable to Perform QB (Inactive): Losman- the PUP list seems to be divided into an active PUP list and an inactive PUP list. Both types are banned from practicing with the team but the Active PUP list players can be reactivated sooner when their injury heals but the Inactive PUP list players must wait until after game 6. Losman is a good candidate for the Inactive list because he will not be ready to even practice before game 6 anyway. He will get to remain on the roster if he recovers (he won't on IR) and he still will be allowed to sit in the booth where he belongs and learn the game (and if he is sitting there soaking up Wyche's knowledge I think this would actually have been the best use for him even if he were healthy).

There is some dispute over whether he would take up a roster spot as an Inacrtive PUP. I don't believe he will so this seems to be the best place for him to be.

Physically Unable to Perform QB (Active): Brown- he may be ready to go as early as week 4 (the early bye really helps us a lot here ironically). My understanding is that he will take up a roster spot here. However, if he takes up a spot and leaves us with only two QBs ready to play in the first three games, this is exactly what we did last year when we went with only 2 QBs on the roster. Hw eill not be able to physically practice on the PUP list, but who cares as physicially he can't practice with the team anyway.

I'd love any corrections of this reading of the situation which anyone has that is connected to links or real facts rather than our shared lame opinons (I know folks feel Matthews is an upgrade over Brown but that isn't the issue right now).

As someone stated, you already have 8 players each wek on the inactive squard. So both Brown and Losman will be in active until ready.

If three weeks into the season we have 3 or 4 other people get injured and need to sign someone, for example a kicker or punter, one of these guys could still end up on IR for the year.

For now keping all four is OK!