If the Injury Bug hadn't bit

Let's see. The Texans lose their 1st string quarterback, second string quarterback - both out for the season - their All-Pro defensive end for the season and their All-World receiver for half the season. Oh yeah, their Pro Bowl runner missed the first couple of games. They are 9-3. The point being that when they say that "everybody has injuries", they're not kidding. EVERYBODY HAS INJURIES!!! San Diego basically had their O-line wiped out and are starting guys on Sunday who came in on a Wednesday.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say what you want but I refuse to have any optimism on the direction of the organization/team after watching the past 12 years, let alone the past 5 games.

This team was headed towards disaster even before the "injury bug" hit the team. I'm sure the Bills PR machine will use this as the excuse in the offseason, but I've heard/seen enough from those clowns over the past several years to take anything they say legitimate.

I doubt the team will use injuries as any type of excuse. The general refrain is "someone else has to step up" and so far the Bills' lack of depth is being exposed. That's the bad news. The good news is that the Bills' depth is being developed.

GO BILLS!!!

the reality of the situation is we where a competitive team who was a draft or 2 from being at the top. that means 10-6 or 9-7 without losing too many startes. assuming we where to over achieve it is an 11-5 or the inverse performance of 8-8. we act suprise when we put something like 15 guys on IR(by the way about 75% of the starting roster) the wheels fell off. we where what we thought we where. if everything works out well, we can hang with anybody, beat most, and be really close to the playoffs, but not a huge surprise to miss it just a disappointment.

whatever our tapered opinions of this team we had at 5-2 are the realistic view of where we were. we were not going to win the division and only be in the hunt for the wild card.

step off the ledge guys

As for Hangartner, I don't agree. Urbik missed two games early and Rinehart played well and the team didn't miss a beat. Later, with injuries at OT, they moved Levitre to OT and Urbik and Rinehart were fine.

The mistake, IMO was when Wood was injured, they moved Levitre to center. Clearly he had a poor game there making the long snaps. Urbik has looked natural there and Levitre and Rinehart are fine at guard. The Bills are down Eric Wood and still can man the interior with Levitre, Urbik and Rinehart. They're solid 4 in the interior without the injury.

Actually Bills were not fine with Levitre at OT. Just watch Fitz's throws after Hairston went down. He was much more hurried and that led to more mistakes. It's not an accident that Bills O has rebounded a bit when Hairston came back.

We haven't won a game with Roscoe on the field in 2 years. What are you talking about?? Fantasize all you want about Merriman and then go back and watch the games--rarely doubled or drew more attention than his replacement. He lost more than a step.

You might want to go back and watch yourself, before making silly statements. He was the only player who got consistent pressure, even sometimes when doubled.

Actually Bills were not fine with Levitre at OT. Just watch Fitz's throws after Hairston went down. He was much more hurried and that led to more mistakes. It's not an accident that Bills O has rebounded a bit when Hairston came back.

Not only that, but Urbik starting at center. Levitre is purely an OG.

Injuries took a huge toll on the team. This is undeniable, and it's not as easy as just saying "well they should have had more/better depth."

You might want to re-read my post.

Nowhere did I say that Levitre was fine at tackle.

I said that when we moved him to tackle, that the interior was just fine with Wood, Urbik, and Rinehart.

I doubt the team will use injuries as any type of excuse. The general refrain is "someone else has to step up" and so far the Bills' lack of depth is being exposed. That's the bad news. The good news is that the Bills' depth is being developed.

GO BILLS!!!

Man if Nix is planning on developing depth through the draft to the level that this team needs depth this is going to the looooooooooongest rebuild in history.

Injuries do happen, but they can be minimized. The biggest mistake the Bills ever made was firing Rusty Jones (or allowing him to go elsewhere). Thanks Mike Mularkey!! Now we have 2 strength & conditioning coaches - one for the fast guys & one for the big guys. I don't necessarily disagree with their tought process, but the two should report to Rusty.

Go to Chicago, on your knees, and beg him to come back and make him the highest paid assistant in the league. The extra salary is a pittance compared to the loss of man-games, empty seats and missing the playoffs.

Injuries do happen, but they can be minimized. The biggest mistake the Bills ever made was firing Rusty Jones (or allowing him to go elsewhere). Thanks Mike Mularkey!! Now we have 2 strength & conditioning coaches - one for the fast guys & one for the big guys. I don't necessarily disagree with their tought process, but the two should report to Rusty.

Go to Chicago, on your knees, and beg him to come back and make him the highest paid assistant in the league. The extra salary is a pittance compared to the loss of man-games, empty seats and missing the playoffs.

I miss Rusty, but I can't put injuries on strength and conditioning this year. Due to the lockout, many of the athletes had to train by themselves. For as fit as they were, the NEEDED that extra time and guidance. It seems like every game I watch this season, at least one player is being carted off the field. Not disagreeing, mind you -- Just giving S&C coaches a bit of a pass this year. That will change in 2012.

No doubt in my mind that the injuries that have thrust the rookies into extensive PT is one of the silver linings of this season.

I think this was a great draft as well… and it had to be because I also believe that the 2010 draft is looking pretty bad. To me, at this point, any improvement we get out of the 2010 draft will amount to damage control.

Ironically of last year's class, I am most optimistic about CJ Spiller. I think something has clicked within him and he's finding himself and feeling more comfortable. If he can be 90% of the player he was projected to be, then the 2010 class will be somewhat redeemed.

But I think the 2011 draft is looking great. One guy we didn't mention that I LOVE is Chris White. I really hated to see him go on IR… I think he's a very similar player to Colin McCarthy who was just named AFC Defensive Player of the Week for the Titans for his play against the Bills :( I hope White's not misused by the Bills like Mario Haggan was. Chris White is more than a special teams player, IMO.

Another 2011 draftee we didn't mention was Justin Thomas who I thought looked excellent the last two weeks… especially for a 7th round rookie. He hopped ahead of Reggie Corner in no time and might just get the start this week ahead of McKelvin.

The only 2011 draftee I have not been impressed with is Johnny White, the UNC RB. He hasn't looked great and fundamentally, I felt Spiller was our speed back and our third back should be a big banger. But that's just me. It's a moot point anyways as Chan seems to have gone pass happy on us.

• I agree on Spiller. I'd like to erase the rest of that draft from my mind. Spiller isn't a sure thing, but at least now we'll get to see what he's capable of. Next year, I'd love to see us use Spiller the way the Saints are using Sproles. We may well have the offensive line for it (especially if we add depth in the draft/FA), and, prior to being forced into using CJ with Freddie's injury, I don't think he's been utilized based on his strengths at all. Line him and Freddie up in the backfield 80% of the time and keep the opposition guessing. Someone would have to scramble to adjust if CJ is open, and that could leave Chandler, for example, wide open -- Much like Graham with New Orleans. Or Jones. Or Nelson. If they don't respect Spiller, he jukes his way for 10-15. I also agree that we need that third back to get us the third and inches -- and it doesn't appear to be White. Someone like Tolbert would be great.
  • I've been overseas quite a bit on business (where American football does not exist), so I've been forced to watch many of the games on DVR. I haven't seen Justin Thomas or Chris White play much. It could be that I was watching the earlier picks more closely. But hey, if they're players -- The more the merrier.
  • To your point on Chan having gone pass happy -- I think he's capable of change. Up until this year, there were lots of folks complaining that he doesn't believe in tight ends. He's disproved that theory. Let's see how CJ does the remainder of the year. I think he realizes this is his chance. Will he rise to the occasion or flame out? Even though we will miss the playoffs, there are a lot of interesting things to watch for as the season winds down, imo.

GO BILLS!!!

You're assuming we won't run our good players out of town as soon as we get a chance.

In looking back at the season where the team started out quite deep at a few positions, and had some talent at a few others, they seemed to actually play better as the game wore on, but slowly as the injury bug hit, the strong finishes in games also seemed to fade away.

It seemed to have started with Shawn Merriman, and while there are a ton of those threads already where people don't think he was doing anything, I saw him as very effective with respect to how much attention he drew. Next other key players like Roscoe Parrish, Kyle Williams, and so on and so forth out for the season. Looking at our IR list is almost like looking at our opening day starting roster, it's staggering, so my question is, How do you feel the season would be so far given just a few key players weren't lost for the season on both sides of the ball?

Personally I think we're probably looking at a solid 8-4 record without all the injuries to most of our key players and positions, and just this alone has a lot to do with how the team has slid.

I find it hilarious how all of a sudden we see buddy Nix threads starting to pop up questioning whether or not he should be fired. I don't think you can place blame on him for what has happened to the team with regards to injuries, which I'd like to keep this thread based on(Bolded question)

If you want to bash Buddy Nix, or Shawn Merriman, please take that stuff somewhere else, If you want to post a few random Ralph is Cheap comments, feel free. :)

Losing Kyle Williams really seemed to change everything overall on defense. On the offensive side, teams have figured out what we do best and have taken that away. Add in the fact that Fred Jackson and Eric Wood going on the IR has certainly hurt us too.

i've said this before on here ad nauseum.

i've said it on billszone.com.

i'll repeat it.

we are... THIS... close. to being super bowl contenders.

you are looking at a team absolutely devastated by injuries. every team in the league is devastated by injuries, but the bills are in year 2 of a rebuilding process. we had the first string talent to be 5-2 and atop the conference for the first half of the season. our offense was all world.

we did not have the depth to weather the storm of putting 12 players on IR, 12 players that didn't have a full offseason of conditioning under the buffalo bills, but were instead left to their own devices.

with that being said, with a stevie johnson catch ruled a catch against the bengals

a field goal instead of going for 6 against the giants

and if stevie holds that ball against the jets

this could RIGHT NOW be a 8-4 team.

we didn't compete in the dallas game, the miami game, and the second half of the jets game. we have played 10 quarters of "bad" bills football through 12 weeks this season.

i will bet my user name, because that's all i can do on here, but in the "real" world, i will be laying heavy money on buffalo to win the division next year because i know the odds will be in new englands favor when vegas lays the line.

we are... VERY... close.

Even with all of the injuries we are arguably three plays away from being 8-4 right now:

- Stevie's "drop" against Cincy

- Fitz's terrible underthrow vs. the giants

- Stevie's legitimate drop vs. Jets

I know, I know, it goes both ways and we could easily be worse than 5-7. Just saying...we are d@mn close to 8-4. If we can bring in some defensive upgrades and get that unit playing to just an average middle-of-the-road level, there's no reason we shouldn't be a real double digit win playoff contender next season.

Edit: Lol...JohnnyGold...didn't see your post...sorry for just repeating what's already been covered.

Edited by TheBrownBear

If Donald Jones catchs the ball that hits him square in the hands, wood never gets hurt. Injuries are part of the game, everyone gets them. The team just needs to play better to win, and prevent unnessary injuries. I as for veterns, they brought in enough to start the year, it was good to give the young players some reps, but when they were 5-2 and had a chance, they had lost Parish and Easley for the year, they should of traded a 5th for Brandon Llyod. That would have helped the offense. The guy would have been a good #2, and maybe allowed us to win a couple more games. If they should have signed him after the year is debatable. I thought since the preseason it was funny that chan tries to run the spead with 4 or 5 guys with questionable hands.

My responses in red.

Finally to those who point out that we lost two games without Fred Jackson and Eric Wood, correct me if I'm wrong but weren't both of those games very close and winnable? Didn't each of those games come down to the last drive?

It could just as easily be argued that the Bills would have won the last two had Jackson and Wood participated fully in both of them. The "we lost them after we started the November slide" is completely disingenuous.

The best point I've seen made in this thread is from Bob in St Louis (I think), who basically makes the point that the thinness of our roster, due to the cheapness of ownership has made these injuries more damaging than they could have been.

To say that injuries have not hurt this team?

Wow.

Thanks SJBF.

Injuries happen to all teams. Overcomming injuries requires depth and leadership, and I will even throw in a bit of luck too.

Nix said it himself back in the first month. He stated that we went into the season very thin (depthwise). Given that Nix knows that I already, we can assume that his management is making him operate far below the salary cap.

I am not an advocate to spend foolishly on other teams retreads but I think most people would agree that there were players out there that could have helped us AND we could still be developing our young while.

It will be interesting to see how Demetrius Bell is handled. Our last two starting LTs (Peters and Bell) were both low priced acquisitions that we developed ourselves, as is Hairston right now. Last year they were willing to offer big money for a right tackle. Will they look to free agency again or will they offer Bell a decent raise? Will they hand the job to Hairston or will they sign Bell and have a legitimate competion between them? Will they draft a LT in round 1 when the most pressing need appears to be a pass rusher?

Edited by Bob in STL

It will be interesting to see how Demetrius Bell is handled. Our last two starting LTs (Peters and Bell) were both low priced acquisitions that we developed ourselves, as is Hairston right now. Last year they were willing to offer big money for a right tackle. Will they look to free agency again or will they offer Bell a decent raise? Will they hand the job to Hairston or will they sign Bell and have a legitimate competion between them? Will they draft a LT in round 1 when the most pressing need appears to be a pass rusher?

I'm watching this situation closely too and you are totally correct that how they handle Bell will be a litmus test as to if anything has really changed with the organization.

Based on recent history, the Bills will let Bell walk or not meet his demands. And quite a few of the posters here will be fine with that citing his injury-proneness.

I disagree. Bell's played very well when he's been healthy and there are many teams in the NFL who are playing retreads at tackle who'd be happy to sign him.

I want the Bills to sign Bell (of course all of this depends on the price) and Pears. To do so would mean that we would have Bell, Pears, and Hairston. That's pretty good depth if they all stay healthy. Acquire another decent tackle and the Bills are set at that position.

I was alright with Poz taking Jacksonville's equal offer… he wanted a fresh start and to play MLB in a 4-3. We gave him a good offer and he went elsewhere.

We offered Whitner a good deal and it's rumored that he ended up signing with the Niners for less than we offered him. I don't know if it was true but I was fine with letting Whitner leave.

But how the Bills handle their own players this offseason will be very interesting.

Stevie Johnson, Pears, Chandler, Bell, Bryan Scott, Lindell, Chad Rinehart… we have to keep these guys. Freddy has also been told he'll get an offer.

If the team wants to build depth to withstand injuries and build a roster on top of, they need to re-sign these guys.