Do we have the most incompetent owner in the NFL

Sadly I think that since Al Davis has passed, we have the least knowledgeable and the most incompetent owner in the NFL. As I stated before I respect Ralph for being a well-deserved Hall of Famer, but much like Al Davis his ownership of this team has been a liability.

Regardless of the state of the Raiders over the last 10 years, Al had 3 rings and Ralph has none. Just win, baby! :thumbsup:

We have the oldest, although fellow 90 something year old Bud "middle finger" Adams is pretty classless or clueless. The only time Ralph speaks is in three sentence sound bytes. I think there's too much Littman, Brandon and Overdorf. Would like to kick these guys out and hand it over to Kelly, Talley and Thurman.

BS (BiggieScooby)

If I could own stock in the Bills, I'd be satisfied w/ Ralph as owner because the outfit has a great business plan, makes money, and is insulated from outside pressures. As a fan, RW is the pits as an owner because his organization has different objectives than what fans expect. There is no reason whatsoever to field a winning team under the current climate where fans continue to buy tickets to see third rate performances.

If I could own stock in the Bills, I'd be satisfied w/ Ralph as owner because the outfit has a great business plan, makes money, and is insulated from outside pressures. As a fan, RW is the pits as an owner because his organization has different objectives than what fans expect. There is no reason whatsoever to field a winning team under the current climate where fans continue to buy tickets to see third rate performances.

Total agreement. As a business owner Ralph is anything but incompetent. He sees the Bills as an investment and only cares about maximizing returns and minimizing expenses. As someone who looks at the NFL as a sport and cares about it, it is tough luck for the fans in the area. But remember there is a difference between caring about football as a sport and a fan and being a shrewd businessman. He is strictly a shrewd businessman, not a fan, period!

I think there's too much Littman, Brandon and Overdorf. Would like to kick these guys out and hand it over to Kelly, Talley and Thurman.

BS (BiggieScooby)

Seriously? You want to turn over the football operation of an NFL team to 3 ex-players who have no experience in this regard. Outstanding! :doh:

Seriously? You want to turn over the football operation of an NFL team to 3 ex-players who have no experience in this regard. Outstanding! :doh:

Yeah that is a great idea isn't it? Here is a crazy idea. Why don't we get a guy with a proven track record that you know has had experience running a NFL franchise before. It just might be crazy enough to work.

Sadly I think that since Al Davis has passed, we have the least knowledgeable and the most incompetent owner in the NFL. As I stated before I respect Ralph for being a well-deserved Hall of Famer, but much like Al Davis his ownership of this team has been a liability.

Completely imcompetent post is more like it.

You actually think that Ralph was ever more knowledgeable and comptetent than Al Davis? Funny, I just don't recall Ralph coaching any football teams, or being a GM, or being the AFL league commisioner, or winning any superbowls for that matter.

You respect Ralph for "being a well-deserved Hall of Famer" ... and this is how you treat people you respect.

We know that Ralph is old. We know that Ralph relies heavily on his "inner circle" and that most of the time these men are not football men. Must we continue to post this hateful stuff about the old man?

incompetent ??

laughing because apparently he is one of the smartest owners, as evidense by his stance on the previous collective bargaining agreement, there were only two dissenters among the NFL owners, Buffalo Bills owner Ralph Wilson and Cincinnati Bengals owner Mike Brown. It took two years for ALL the other owners to figure it out.

i could go through a littany of his education, service to country, his contributions to the NFL, his steadfast commitment to keeping the bills in buffalo, etc.....

he is far from incompetent....you should be so lucky.

To RW its a business first and a pro football team second. If you think about how long this man has been the sole owner of this franchise, thru good times and bad in the real world... its amazing!

OTOH, its just sad that he has such devoted fans and he really is more concerned with his bottom line then winning a super bowl Championship.

I think of it like this...

McDonald's makes crappy ass hamburgers for cheap. But people buy them in droves for a number of reaons, none of which is "because it's quality food". Am I ANGRY at McDonald's that their business plan works? Of course not.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Everyone keeps saying he is only dedicated to turning a profit, but if that was true, then the team would have been relocated years ago to a place where they could more then double what they bring in now and wouldn't have to have the lowest ticket prices in the league. Maybe the dedication is to making sure that the team stays out of the red so it can stay in Buffalo? maybe the dedication is to keeping the team here for as long as he can control it? Sure you can throw out the arguement about how then he should sell the team to a local investor now so they stay here, but its not like the area is filled with billionaires looking for NFL franchises to invest into. Who knows the details of Jimbos "investors", and maybe Ralph knows who they are and knows they don't have the resources to make a serious deal?

Everyone keeps saying he is only dedicated to turning a profit, but if that was true, then the team would have been relocated years ago to a place where they could more then double what they bring in now and wouldn't have to have the lowest ticket prices in the league. Maybe the dedication is to making sure that the team stays out of the red so it can stay in Buffalo? maybe the dedication is to keeping the team here for as long as he can control it? Sure you can throw out the arguement about how then he should sell the team to a local investor now so they stay here, but its not like the area is filled with billionaires looking for NFL franchises to invest into. Who knows the details of Jimbos "investors", and maybe Ralph knows who they are and knows they don't have the resources to make a serious deal?

IMO, relocating the franchise would increase the 'value' of the franchise but would it really be more profitable? Moving to a bigger market would surely increase revenues but there are also costs associated with such a move. The need for a new facility is one. In today's environment very few states and municipalities are going to be in a position to fund a new stadium. So in the most likely case private financing would be needed. So an owner relocating to, say LA, would need to put down something like $600 million for a new state-of-the-art facility. How many seasons would it take to recover that investment and turn cash flow positive?

Right now the Bills franchise is running at a revenue rate that is below almost every other franchise in the league but the teams profit and positive cash flow are near the top. The is where I believe Mr. Wilson is a savvy and competent owner/investor. Why move and incur massive costs, legal expenses, political issues, when the amount of free cash flow your getting from the team each season now more than likely exceeds that of moving? In the long run moving might lead to higher profit and cash flow but it might take 8-10 seasons to reach break even and at 93 would you be interested in entertaining long range decisions?

And I got to believe that the finance team are a bunch of smart people and they've run the numbers on a lot of these relocation scenarios over the years and reached the same conclusion.

IMO, relocating the franchise would increase the 'value' of the franchise but would it really be more profitable? Moving to a bigger market would surely increase revenues but there are also costs associated with such a move. The need for a new facility is one. In today's environment very few states and municipalities are going to be in a position to fund a new stadium. So in the most likely case private financing would be needed. So an owner relocating to, say LA, would need to put down something like $600 million for a new state-of-the-art facility. How many seasons would it take to recover that investment and turn cash flow positive?

Right now the Bills franchise is running at a revenue rate that is below almost every other franchise in the league but the teams profit and positive cash flow are near the top. The is where I believe Mr. Wilson is a savvy and competent owner/investor. Why move and incur massive costs, legal expenses, political issues, when the amount of free cash flow your getting from the team each season now more than likely exceeds that of moving? In the long run moving might lead to higher profit and cash flow but it might take 8-10 seasons to reach break even and at 93 would you be interested in entertaining long range decisions?

And I got to believe that the finance team are a bunch of smart people and they've run the numbers on a lot of these relocation scenarios over the years and reached the same conclusion.

i wasn't talking about just relocation now, I'm talking about over the entire time he has been the owner. There were times when local governments were willing to help fund building large stadiums, if it meant that they could get a pro sports franchise. Right now in LA, they have investors ready to fund and build the stadium, all they need is the team.

As for the franchise right now,does anyone know EXACTLY what it costs to operate an NFL franchise, not just what it costs for players, but total cost to pay for Insurance, salaries for office and coaching staff, scouts, the Jills (or do they do this for free) fees to operate the stadium, concessions, and security for games and events, etc.? These are costs that are not counted in the salary cap, which is the amount that goes to the players. Sure the revenue sharing may cover the salary cap, but does it cover anything else? The profit these days is made off of the luxury boxes and the sponsorship deals. The luxury seating is limited at RWS compared to other facilities around the league, and I'm sure Saleens Hot Dogs is the same sponsorship cash cow as some of the other sponsors places like Dallas and NY have.

Maybe second worst. Google "Dan Snyder" and "Washington City Paper"

He can't be, according to everyone here he is a great owner because he is highly active in FA and throwing money at the team

I think thats the #1 requirement to having a good front office according to some here