I'm not upset about this season...

devldog131

I see all the negativity on this board about this season, but let's take a rational look at the status of this team vs. the Bills of 2010...

The Bills of 2010 had little talent in the starting lineup and no depth. The Bills of 2011 have talent and ability in the starting lineup, but lack depth.

This is in all reality the first year of the Nix/Gailey construction project as last year was a "let's see what we have and what we can do with it" season.

Logically, when rebuilding, the first priority is to get talented and capable starters on the field. Secondly, you build the depth to back those starters up.

Look at this season from the beginning. When healthy, with the Majority of the starting lineup in place, the Bills were a good, nearly dominant team. Then the injuries started...

Offense:

#1 LT(Bell) goes down

#2 LT(Hairston) goes down

#1 LG(Levitre) moves to LT, #2 LG(Rinehart) comes in.

#3 Receiver(Parrish) goes down(IR)

#2 Receiver(Jones) goes down, comes back weeks later, goes down again(IR)

#1 Center(Wood) goes down(IR), #1 LG moves from LT to center, sucks.

#1 RG(Urbik) moves to center, #2 LG moves to RG

#1 RB and league leader in rushing and yards from scrimmage(Jackson) goes down(IR)

Defense

#1 CB(McGee) goes down, comes back weeks later, goes down again(IR)

#1 WLB(Merriman) goes down(IR)

#1 SLB(Kelsay) goes down for several weeks

#1 NT(Williams) goes down

#3 CB(Williams) goes down, comes back weeks later, goes down again

#1 SS(Wilson) goes down(IR)

Let me know if there is anyone I have missed.

The Bills are basically in year two of their build, and have filled much of the starting lineup with quality NFL starters on both sides of the ball(the DC needs to go, but that is for another thread). Job#2 starts this offseason, backfilling the roster with quality depth players.

Had the Bills stayed healthy this season, we and the national media would be singing a completely different tune. Unfortunately, at this point in the renovation, we simply do not have the depth to carry on after sustaining the number of injuries(especially at key positions) we have suffered.

The Bills are a good team, and with the addition of decent backups and a new DC, they will be a team that is a serious contender to go on long post-season runs.

So, in closing, remember where we are in our rebuild and what our limitations are. I think many on the board saw those first few games(with our quality starters on the field) and started to believe we were one of the elite teams in the AFC, when in fact, we are not yet there(but not too terribly far away). This team is a far cry from the piles of excrement we have watched for so many years. We are almost there, just be happy with the improvement and keep looking to the future, to a time when the Bills will reclaim their rightful place atop the AFC East.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We didn't lose our "#3WR" if you mean Roscoe. He hasn't played in a year and we didn't win one game he played in.

Nelson is our #2 WR, not Jones, who's not very good anyway.

The Bills were in a free fall before FJ went out. They were going down before Woods was hurt also.

The NFL is a war of attrition. Every team has to deal with many injuries throughout the season. That's what the draft is for.

I see all the negativity on this board about this season, but let's take a rational look at the status of this team vs. the Bills of 2010...

The Bills of 2010 had little talent in the starting lineup and no depth. The Bills of 2011 have talent and ability in the starting lineup, but lack depth.

This is in all reality the first year of the Nix/Gailey construction project as last year was a "let's see what we have and what we can do with it" season.

Logically, when rebuilding, the first priority is to get talented and capable starters on the field. Secondly, you build the depth to back those starters up.

Look at this season from the beginning. When healthy, with the Majority of the starting lineup in place, the Bills were a good, nearly dominant team. Then the injuries started...

Offense:

#1 LT(Bell) goes down

#1 RB and league leader in rushing and yards from scrimmage(Jackson) goes down(IR)

Defense

The Bills are basically in year two of their build, and have filled much of the starting lineup with quality NFL starters on both sides of the ball(the DC needs to go, but that is for another thread). Job#2 starts this offseason, backfilling the roster with quality depth players.

Had the Bills stayed healthy this season, we and the national media would be singing a completely different tune. Unfortunately, at this point in the renovation, we simply do not have the depth to carry on after sustaining the number of injuries(especially at key positions) we have suffered.

The Bills are a good team, and with the addition of decent backups and a new DC, they will be a team that is a serious contender to go on long post-season runs.

So, in closing, remember where we are in our rebuild and what our limitations are. I think many on the board saw those first few games(with our quality starters on the field) and started to believe we were one of the elite teams in the AFC, when in fact, we are not yet there(but not too terribly far away). This team is a far cry from the piles of excrement we have watched for so many years. We are almost there, just be happy with the improvement and keep looking to the future, to a time when the Bills will reclaim their rightful place atop the AFC East.

Job 2 will need to start with re-signing some of the current crop of starters, since we have (for us) a large number of FA's to re-sign (or not), including Bell, Urbik (RFA), Pears, Chandler and Johnson on O, the one unit that's been fairly decent this year. I'd bring all of them back (Hairston may be starting material on the right side next year, but Pears would be good for depth at least), but it's not my money. Once that's done, I say we still need a decent WR to pair with Stevie and at least 2 LB's and a DL-man for depth or to start. If they can do that, I'd agree that we'll be a much improved team next year.

I figured we'd be 6-10 or 7-9, outside at 8-8, this year, but like the rest of us am still disappointed after the way the season started with such promise....

I keep hearing people make excuses for Buffalo being injured, with rebuttals that injuries are no excuse, RE: 2010 Packers. My question is this: Why does Buffalo always seem to be one of the leaders in the NFL in injuries, guys put on IR. I'm not talking out for a few weeks, I mean out for the season. My observation is, yeah, we have little depth on both sides of the ball, but damn! We seem to have guys go down all the time. Is this a coincidence? Is something wrong with our strength and conditioning coaches? Do we not know how to tackle? Fall right?

I watched Fitz today be off the mark a lot, with (I almost hate to say it) Brad Smith making a few nice plays to bail out what could have been a disastrous first half. Nelson caught a slant today with his ribs clearly exposed and (this time) he held on after a big pop. Spiller missed a cross when the ball was behind him. Fitz' lack of accuracy cannot help, but that doesn't explain injuries at every position.

Thoughts?

Offense:

#1 LT(Bell) goes down

Defense

actually, you do lack perspective

don't compare this team to last year's team or any of the other varying degrees of dog-turd-ish type seasons in the last decade plus...compare them to a competent nfl franchise, which is what the goal of this team should be

warning though, it may bring you to tears

We didnt have as many injuries last year as we have had the previous years. I thought they got that fixed with the new staff.

It could also very well be that we are seeing the effects of the lockout. There are a LOT of injuries this year on a lot of teams. I hope we go back to being a healthy team after a full offseason next year.

------------------------------------------------------------

Why injuries?...so the Bill-ievers have a convenient excuse for the piss poor results of a lousy team.

What's your problem, son?

Edited by DrDareustein

Offense:

#1 LT(Bell) goes down

Defense

Couldn't have said it any better myself (Williams is on IR)

actually, you do lack perspective

don't compare this team to last year's team or any of the other varying degrees of dog-turd-ish type seasons in the last decade plus...compare them to a competent nfl franchise, which is what the goal of this team should be

warning though, it may bring you to tears

Injuries are a factor -- for sure. But they are not the only reason. A lot of the injured players you noted would not have made a big impact if they were healthy. Shawn Merrimen was non-existent when he was playing. Donald Jones has a few nice catches but was no game changer. Chris Kelsay, as usual, was often very silent.

You can rely on injuries alone for the reason this team fell apart. Coaching and the overall low talent level collectively caught up to them

Injuries are not an excuse. I do not disagree with that. Apparently some of you missed the point of this thread. The lack of depth is the issue. The reason we lack depth is the point at which we are in our construction project. The defense does not lack talent, it lacks competent coaching from the defensive coordinator position(which is why I said the DC needs to go. Not once did I claim that the injuries are the reason we are where. I stated from the beginning that we are not yet in a place where we can contend because we are only partially into the rebuilding project.

The Bills are vastly improved from just a season ago, but to think they had what it took to be a serious contender is delusional. Injuries do happen, and the elite teams are equipped to deal with them, the mediocre teams are not. The Bills are a mediocre team, but with another offseason to continue filling out the lower half of the roster, we will be in a much better position to absorb the personnel losses.

I keep hearing people make excuses for Buffalo being injured, with rebuttals that injuries are no excuse, RE: 2010 Packers. My question is this: Why does Buffalo always seem to be one of the leaders in the NFL in injuries, guys put on IR. I'm not talking out for a few weeks, I mean out for the season. My observation is, yeah, we have little depth on both sides of the ball, but damn! We seem to have guys go down all the time. Is this a coincidence? Is something wrong with our strength and conditioning coaches? Do we not know how to tackle? Fall right?

I watched Fitz today be off the mark a lot, with (I almost hate to say it) Brad Smith making a few nice plays to bail out what could have been a disastrous first half. Nelson caught a slant today with his ribs clearly exposed and (this time) he held on after a big pop. Spiller missed a cross when the ball was behind him. Fitz' lack of accuracy cannot help, but that doesn't explain injuries at every position.

Thoughts?

Donahoe/G. Williams were dumb enough to let the best strength and conditioning coach in the NFL go, that is Rusty Jones. We had better conditioned athletes under him and several players swore by his methods (rather than swearing at him). Do you think Dareus would have a flabby gut with Jones around? If Dareus can do the conditioning and weight loss that Jones had Bruce Smith do, Dareus might become an impact player (rather than impacted).

Edited by DFITZ1

Injuries are not an excuse. I do not disagree with that. Apparently some of you missed the point of this thread. The lack of depth is the issue. The reason we lack depth is the point at which we are in our construction project. The defense does not lack talent, it lacks competent coaching from the defensive coordinator position(which is why I said the DC needs to go. Not once did I claim that the injuries are the reason we are where. I stated from the beginning that we are not yet in a place where we can contend because we are only partially into the rebuilding project.

The Bills are vastly improved from just a season ago, but to think they had what it took to be a serious contender is delusional. Injuries do happen, and the elite teams are equipped to deal with them, the mediocre teams are not. The Bills are a mediocre team, but with another offseason to continue filling out the lower half of the roster, we will be in a much better position to absorb the personnel losses.

Still waiting on another thread for someone to name me the NFL franchise that is THREE-DEEP at OLT.

The losing streak began when they started moving Levitre around.

They've looked better since getting Hairston back - but then they were missing Freddy and Wood, and a lot of the defense.

Edited by BobChalmers