Dareus is great but . . .

billswi2000

Newton = huge impact

Miller = huge impact

Dareus = no impact

Green = huge impact

Let's be honest, so far he's been just an average player showing little evidence that he will ever become great.

I laughed out loud when I read this. First off, all 4 of those players have played well as a rookie. Dareus is double and triple teamed on almost every play, since the Bills have no one else on the line that is worthy....Even WITH all of that, he is still making plays. After all of the Bills bad 1st round picks we finally have a guy that is worthy...and whiners are still crying. Dareus is playing NT, he is not going to get 15 sacks, he is not going to score TD's...but he IS clogging up the middle, and pushing the pocket back. Actually, he is carrying the ENTIRE defensive line.

To blame the bad defense on our best defensive player is just ridiculous. And to say he has made no impact, you and your comment instantly lose all credibility. Newton is 2-8, Miller has Dumervile on the other side, and a great defensive coach. Green looks good, but Dalton has looked good with or without green. I am not doubting the talent of these guys, they look good, as does Dareus...

I am among the first to call out a bad draft pick (eg. Troup)...But Dareus is not one of them...

Again I must point out as well, Newton and Miller were gone when the Bills picked...Get over it

Because that same poster didnt like the idea of drafting a DL so early. Making posts like that, which ignore player roles, only helps him sound more "right" in his own head. Nevermind that they are pretty football-ignorant statements.

The first 4-5 weeks of the season (with Williams in the lineup), Dareus was nominated for Rookie of the Week a couple times. Meanwhile, Miller was invisible and getting benched (note: Dumervil was injured).

Now, Williams goes out for the season and Dumervil returns from injury, and all of a sudden Miller is "Rookie of the Year" and Dareus isnt getting noticed as much... weird how that works!!

+1...It's ridiculous how quickly people will forget most of the truth in order to make their point. I have a feeling some of these people are just checking out the box scores afterwards, and not even watching the games...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bills pick a player like Dareus with their No. 1 pick for the next couple seasons we're going to be in good shape to compete.

IMO, Dareus has performed as expected. With Williams out, the problem lies with the surrounding cast and what seems to be confusion about exactly what they're playing. Is it a 3-4, or a 4-3, or something else? I'm not clear. When you claim to be playing a 3-4 and your starting outside linebackers are Spencer Johnson and Chris Kelsay you're going to have issues. They've been competent defensive linemen at times but neither is your prototypical outside linebacker in a 3-4. Let's see how they address this in the offseason along with a problem at OT.

DTs and DEs generally don't come right in and dominate (Suh is an exception) of course neither do WRs but AJ Green has looked great from the start.

+1. and Suh had competent D-linemen around him playing for a competent NFL defensive coach. The ignorance for the sake of outrage is astounding on this board.

Because that same poster didnt like the idea of drafting a DL so early. Making posts like that, which ignore player roles, only helps him sound more "right" in his own head. Nevermind that they are pretty football-ignorant statements.

The first 4-5 weeks of the season (with Williams in the lineup), Dareus was nominated for Rookie of the Week a couple times. Meanwhile, Miller was invisible and getting benched (note: Dumervil was injured).

Now, Williams goes out for the season and Dumervil returns from injury, and all of a sudden Miller is "Rookie of the Year" and Dareus isnt getting noticed as much... weird how that works!!

While I don't agree with the OP's sentiment, your facts are seriously distorted here. Miller has been nothing if not consistent, as he picked up 5 sacks in the first 5 weeks of the season (Dumervil missed the first 3 weeks). I realize you don't think Miller is a good player (or rather, you didn't think he would be from what I recall), but your stats are flat-out wrong here and your statement about his supposed "invisibility" is hyperbole at best.

I do, however, think that the fruits of Dareus' efforts would be much more apparent if he had better play around him.

I laughed out loud when I read this. First off, all 4 of those players have played well as a rookie. Dareus is double and triple teamed on almost every play, since the Bills have no one else on the line that is worthy....Even WITH all of that, he is still making plays. After all of the Bills bad 1st round picks we finally have a guy that is worthy...and whiners are still crying. Dareus is playing NT, he is not going to get 15 sacks, he is not going to score TD's...but he IS clogging up the middle, and pushing the pocket back. Actually, he is carrying the ENTIRE defensive line.

To blame the bad defense on our best defensive player is just ridiculous. And to say he has made no impact, you and your comment instantly lose all credibility. Newton is 2-8, Miller has Dumervile on the other side, and a great defensive coach. Green looks good, but Dalton has looked good with or without green. I am not doubting the talent of these guys, they look good, as does Dareus...

I am among the first to call out a bad draft pick (eg. Troup)...But Dareus is not one of them...

Again I must point out as well, Newton and Miller were gone when the Bills picked...Get over it

Good points...not really sure how anyone can blame Dareus for the Bills' struggles when they've clearly improved as a defensive front with him in the lineup. In fact, the only thing in your post I'll nitpick on is the idea that Miller's production is a result of Dumervil's presence. Without Elvis in the lineup, Miller still accumulated 4 sacks in the first 3 games of the season. Sacks aren't everything, of course, but he's been really good for them all year long.

Wow, nothing like comparing apples to oranges. I've been watching Dareus and I think he has done a great job as rookie. Newton, Miller and Green are specialty players who SHOULD make an impact. We got Dareus to firm up the run defense (right?) and then switched his position mid-season. Opposing defenses are taking him out with double teams and doing their best to account for Barnett. That's ALL they have to worry about. Put Williams back in there and stick to a 4-3 and Dareus will look better. Right now he is playing his first pro year in a position he did not play in college with almost no help in a team game. Exactly what were you expecting from one guy in his position?

BTW the Bills have a knack for taking good college players and making them look bad.

Well put! When Williams comes back and we have OLB and DE help, he will look MUCH better. Anyone think Casey Hampton or even Williams would look great on this D in their first year playing a new position. NO.

Newton = huge impact

Miller = huge impact

Dareus = no impact

Green = huge impact

Let's be honest, so far he's been just an average player showing little evidence that he will ever become great.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous and ignorant posts I've seen in a while. He has played 3 positions on the line and has played them all well. He has spent most of his time at the nose and has absolutely been an impact player. Notice how many double teams he gets - even when he had an injured arm earlier in the season. Gailey has been asked about his play several times and always says he's one of the guys they don't worry about because he's always doing his job well.

You're comparing three drafts picks at much sexier positions; QB, OLB, and WR. You're comparing their production to a nose tackle who lost his two best linemates before the season even started? Nose tackles don't show up much on the stat sheet but if you're holding up against double teams you're doing your job.

Dareus has been as solid a rookie NT as you're likely to see, and in the coming years I'm sure he'll make your post look even dumber.

While I don't agree with the OP's sentiment, your facts are seriously distorted here. Miller has been nothing if not consistent, as he picked up 5 sacks in the first 5 weeks of the season (Dumervil missed the first 3 weeks). I realize you don't think Miller is a good player (or rather, you didn't think he would be from what I recall), but your stats are flat-out wrong here and your statement about his supposed "invisibility" is hyperbole at best.

Miller was straight up BENCHED earlier this season. Since then, he has really turned on.

And yes, I used "invisible" just like people saying Dareus has been "invisible". My point is that both are contributing, only more so when the star veteran is back in the lineup.

Miller's limited success without Dumervil mirrors Dareus's limited success without Williams.

No he's not. I didn't see the Jets double team him once.

I realize he was sick last game, but this is week 12. So far, he just isn't the player that we've all expected him to be.

That can change, but it's the reality of right now.

I watched him a lot and saw him get quite a few. Not sure how that can happen.

<br />Because that same poster didnt like the idea of drafting a DL so early. Making posts like that, which ignore player roles, only helps him sound more "right" in his own head. Nevermind that they are pretty football-ignorant statements.<br /><br />The first 4-5 weeks of the season (with Williams in the lineup), Dareus was nominated for Rookie of the Week a couple times. Meanwhile, Miller was invisible and getting benched (note: Dumervil was injured).<br /><br />Now, Williams goes out for the season and Dumervil returns from injury, and all of a sudden Miller is "Rookie of the Year" and Dareus isnt getting noticed as much... weird how that works!!<br />
invisible? Surely not. He didn't play the run well, but in those invisible games, he had as many sacks as our team has all year minus the Washington game.

I love Dareus. He's going to be a great player. Stop hating.

1. He's not being used currently.....

2. If you watched him in college he moved up and down the line from NT, to LE,to DT, RE

3. He hasn't been given the opportunity to use his greatest gift and that's his speed( he should running stunts)

4. He is actually getting double teams, the problem is no one else is good enough to take advantage of it...so teams will continue to double

5. Slowed by injuries, lost kyle williams,

I love von miller, aj green and cam .... I wasn't opposed to any of those guys.... Miller came into a great situation .... I knew AJ green was going to shine he is the next Randy Moss, and Cam is better than anyone expect...

You can measure Dareus by what other rookies and 2nd year dt are doing.... cant compare him to a pass rusher......wr and a qb

Edited by EldaBillsFan

invisible? Surely not. He didn't play the run well, but in those invisible games, he had as many sacks as our team has all year minus the Washington game.

I love Dareus. He's going to be a great player. Stop hating.

See previous post. I didnt mean to sound like I was hating on Miller, need to let that go as I already acknowledged he's looked good rushing the passer (something I never once doubted he could do). The point was the similarities between production with and without their veteran counterparts.

Miller had a handful of sacks to start out the year, but no where near recent production with Dumervil. Dareus started strong but his numbers have dropped off a bit since Kyle went out. That's all.

How's the Bills run defense doing?

Much improved this season, even without their starting All-Pro NT.

Please see Fan's post from the first page...

- As someone else pointed out, Dareus was sick

- We are currently 21st against the run compared to 32nd last year. The main changes are addition of Dareus, injury to Kyle Williams and exchanging Poz for Barnett. If you cannot see how Dareus is part of the improvement on run D, you are either being blind or just want to hate

- interior linemen do not typically make highlight reels like a WR, pass rusher, QB make.

- Guy may be a leader on the field - something we sorely lack right now.

Heard spells Dareus but Dareus was a great pick.

Edited by DrDareustein

Much improved this season, even without their starting All-Pro NT.

Please see Fan's post from the first page...

21st is great impact?

You guys have low standards.

Kyle Williams is not an "all pro", he barely made the pro-bowl, he's good, but not great. Dareus has put up not too much better stats than Stroud last year. We got a better LB corps this year, and a year with 3-4 under our belts. I don't think Dareus is why we've jumped from worst to pretty bad at run defense.

Keep in mind, I'm not calling him bad, and I'm not calling him a bust.

But to claim he's "great" is ridiculous. He's a rookie, he's doing ok... but he has a long ways to go before he's "great".

Edited by Dorkington