Sporting events - sign of the times?

\GoBillsInDallas/

Picture from the Sabres-Carolina game, where a transplanted WNYer brought his daughter to the game:

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/sabres/images/upload/gallery/2011/11/133333319_std.jpg

Sad that you have to bring headphones to protect your kid's hearing from the music blasting over the PA system.

Why?

I think it's sad when people bring kids to concerts (not recommended) and DON'T protect thier ears...

To quote Artie Lange....WAHHHH!

Picture from the Sabres-Carolina game, where a transplanted WNYer brought his daughter to the game:

http://1.cdn.nhle.com/sabres/images/upload/gallery/2011/11/133333319_std.jpg

Sad that you have to bring headphones to protect your kid's hearing from the music blasting over the PA system.

I hate it. I went to an NBA game a few years ago, and they're playing music during the action now!..........Even during breaks, they can do what they want, but it doesn't have to be so friggin loud. I want to be able to talk to who I'm with - not shout.

To quote Keith Richards "if it's too loud, you're too old"

In all seriousness though I haven't been to an arena yet that I've felt the music was too loud or interfere g with the experience. I have, however been to plenty of games that who ever was selecting the music ought to have been hung from the catwalks. I'm not saying the music needs to be blasting ear drums out, but some good loud music helps keep the energy level of the crowd up during long breaks in the action

Because in addition to being dangerous (not just for kids but adults too), it's stupid and pointless. What is the purpose of blasting horrible music over the arena speakers during a break in the game?

Because in America, people have this bizarre need to be stimulated by something always and RIGHT NOW. Moments of internal thought are not encouraged.

Think about it. There's a break in the game action. Your visual sense is no longer being entertained. If the stadium doesn't immediately jizz all over you with audible stimulus, you might have to do something radical like...I dont know, talk to the person in the seat next to you. The horror.

To quote Keith Richards "if it's too loud, you're too old"

In all seriousness though I haven't been to an arena yet that I've felt the music was too loud or interfere g with the experience. I have, however been to plenty of games that who ever was selecting the music ought to have been hung from the catwalks. I'm not saying the music needs to be blasting ear drums out, but some good loud music helps keep the energy level of the crowd up during long breaks in the action

How can you tell? All you hear is the music.

Because in America, people have this bizarre need to be stimulated by something always and RIGHT NOW. Moments of internal thought are not encouraged.

Think about it. There's a break in the game action. Your visual sense is no longer being entertained. If the stadium doesn't immediately jizz all over you with audible stimulus, you might have to do something radical like...I dont know, talk to the person in the seat next to you. The horror.

:thumbsup:

I sometimes wonder if Amercians really have the "bizarre need", or if American advertising has just conditioned us to it.

A few years ago, I went to an Arena football game, when the Austin Wranglers were still in town. It was insane...the football game itself was secondary to the constant barrage of sideshows...there was constant "arena rocks" type music blastting, when there was any kind of break in the action on the field, there was some sort of performance going on (cheerleaders, dancing mascots, midgets running pass routs, steroid abusers shooting t-shirts from "cannons" into the stands)...and to top it all off, being "kids day", they handed out "thunder sticks" to everyone. The place was packed, and it was so freaking noisy (thundersticks should be banned), I had the worst headache about a quarter into the game. We took some young children, my friends 7 year old daughter included. At half-time they had some silly shopping cart race, sponsored by a local grocery store...they kept shooting off cannon blasts anytime somebody slipped up, or veered off their track....it was brutal...my buddies daughter started balling her eyes out...it was way too much stimultion for anyone....what a nightmare.

I went to an Nashville Predators/Philadelphia Flyers game a few years back, in Nashville...it wasn't quite as obnoxious, but close...and almost all the bells and whistles, smoke and mirrors, is done to advertise something...I miss the old days at the Aud, just a wurlitzer playing in the backround....

And, I don't think it's an age thing, because I play my music very loud, and when I go to a concert I want it so loud that I can't hear myself sing.

Oh it's not an age thing. I crank my music whether I'm in the car, hanging at home or playing along with my drums. That's my complaint regaring the music on my new iPhone. It isn't loud enough. It's a personal thing. Just because I listen to my music very loud doesn't mean I want to hear yours very loud and you probably don't want to hear mine.

Oh it's not an age thing. I crank my music whether I'm in the car, hanging at home or playing along with my drums. That's my complaint regaring the music on my new iPhone. It isn't loud enough. It's a personal thing. Just because I listen to my music very loud doesn't mean I want to hear yours very loud and you probably don't want to hear mine.

I like it loud too!

Though, I will say, I know my hearing took a noticable turn for the worse around 1993. I was at a Paul Westerberg concert, standing right up front, near a wall of speakers...everthing was cool, until Bob Mould got up on stage during the encore, and his guitar was so loud, I felt my ears pop...I had felt that before, but the sensation would subside, by the next morning...not this time...my ears were wringing for days...and I don't think they have ever been the same...particularly the right ear...I never would have thought of wearing ear plugs then, and I still never do.

To quote Keith Richards "if it's too loud, you're too old"In all seriousness though I haven't been to an arena yet that I've felt the music was too loud or interfere g with the experience. I have, however been to plenty of games that who ever was selecting the music ought to have been hung from the catwalks. I'm not saying the music needs to be blasting ear drums out, but some good loud music helps keep the energy level of the crowd up during long breaks in the action

Think that was actually a Ted Nugent quote....

Keith said, "If it ain't Chuck it ain't !@#$!"

Referring, of course, to Chuck Berry.

Edited by Buftex

CONCUR. YOU PHRASED THAT PRETTY WELL FOR A MORON, YOU MORONIC MORONY MORON.

Edited by DC Tom

This makes me think of the people I can't stand at the gym. They'll have their headphones on so loud that I can actually hear it over my own headphones. Hey buddy, the point of headphones is so that other people don't have to listen to your crappy music. Is that a headphone or an actual stereo speaker strapped to your ear?

And as for the picture, I've seen a ton of that on tv while I'm watching games.