The 5 Greatest Sports Movies of All Time

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will take crap for it, but league of their own is one of my favorites.

Sports fan is awesome, but very disturbing

No Hoosiers, brians song???

No way I'm giving you crap for that! A League of Their Own is definitely a top 5 baseball flick. That's one I can watch over and over again.

Shamefully, I've never seen Brian's Song. I'll have to look it up on Netflix. Hoosiers was great, but bball is my least favorite major sport so that definitely colors my opinion.

I thought Big Fan was very overrated. It just never went anywhere for me and the ending was dumb. Rudy was good, but even for an ND fan it was a little over the top. Miracle was fine, but it's just a Hollywood version of a great story where you already know the ending.

In no particular order, I'll go with:

The Bad News Bears (still the only great movie ever made about youth sports)

The Longest Yard (the original, obviously)

Hoosiers

Million Dollar Baby

Bull Durham

Honorable Mentions: Heaven Can Wait, North Dallas Forty, Field of Dreams and Rounders if you consider poker a sport.

My WORST sports movies of all time:

Remember the Titans (most laughably over-clichéd movie in history)

The Last Boy Scout (intensely stupid)

Rocky V / Over the Top (Sly Double Feature!)

Sudden Death (Van Damme >>>>>>> Ryan Miller)

Jerry McGuire

Edited by KD in CT

I must disrespectfully, disagree.

Slapshot is 20x better than Miracle. The HBO documentary "Do You Believe in Miracles" is 100x better than Miracle. How about Caddyshack, Major League, and the greatest volleyball movie ever made, Top Gun? Ever heard of those, Sage?

Rocky?

Raging Bull?

The Natural?

The Hustler? (billiards counts right?)

...and not this whole movie, but this speech should be included --

youtube.com/watch?v=3bzK8r4c6Xc&feature=fvst

I'm on record for thinking Rocky is vastly overrated. I give it credit for taking the boxing genre to a whole new level of popularity, but I can think of a sizable handful of boxing movies that are better, Raging Bull being one. I also think The Fighter was better than Rocky and operated on a lot of the same motifs.

I thought Big Fan was very overrated. It just never went anywhere for me and the ending was dumb. Rudy was good, but even for an ND fan it was a little over the top. Miracle was fine, but it's just a Hollywood version of a great story where you already know the ending.

In no particular order, I'll go with:

The Bad News Bears (still the only great movie ever made about youth sports)

The Longest Yard (the original, obviously)

Hoosiers

Million Dollar Baby

Bull Durham

Honorable Mentions: Heaven Can Wait, North Dallas Forty, Field of Dreams and Rounders if you consider poker a sport.

My WORST sports movies of all time:

Remember the Titans (most laughably over-clichéd movie in history)

The Last Boy Scout (intensely stupid)

Rocky V / Over the Top (Sly Double Feature!)

Sudden Death (Van Damme >>>>>>> Ryan Miller)

Jerry McGuire

I really thought Big Fan was spectacular. More than anything, I appreciate the combination of a role and an actor that just fit each other so perfectly. The movie should also be required viewing for some of the overreacting wackadoos on TSW :ph34r:

Rounders is a hell of a fun movie. Might be in my Top 10.

:censored: Jerry Maguire. Goddamn chick flick masquerading as a sports movie. Did have some memorable quotes, though.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

Youngbloods

Vision Quest

Victory

Wildcats

Red Dawn (they are on the footteam team no/)

The best sports movies of all times right there..and if you don't know these movies your too friggen young for me to have a meaninful conversation .

That's the same reasoning that makes Die Hard and Gremlins two of my favorite Christmas movies.

Some of my Favorites(not in any order)...

Cinderella Man

Bull Durham

Slapshot

Brian's Song

Major League

Pride of the Yankees

Rudy

Hoosiers

Remember the Titans

Miracle

The Longest Yard

I really need to watch Raging Bull. I think I even have the DVD somewhere in the house, and still haven't seen it.

Youngbloods

Vision Quest

Victory

Wildcats

Red Dawn (they are on the footteam team no/)

The best sports movies of all times right there..and if you don't know these movies your too friggen young for me to have a meaninful conversation.

Awesomely horrible list right there. :lol:

I really thought Big Fan was spectacular. More than anything, I appreciate the combination of a role and an actor that just fit each other so perfectly. The movie should also be required viewing for some of the overreacting wackadoos on TSW :ph34r:

I agree with the second part! I guess the message was a 'loser is a loser' no matter what, but the movie almost seemed like an excuse for him.

Any opinions on Murderball? One of the few documentaries to truly blow me away.

Never sawr it.

Caddyshack

Slapshot

Bad News Bears

Hoop Dreams

When We Were Kings

That is almost exactly my list as well.

The only change I would make is to pull Hoop Dreams and put in North Dallas Forty.

Good call on When We Were Kings; a truly awesome piece of film.