Edwards' Qualifications

What qualifications does Edwards have to be a defensive coordinator? Nothing he does seems to work. Last year the excuse was lack of personnel. So Darius et al arrive and still little works. In fact, some of his starters are playing worse than they did last year, such as Florence. And losers like McKelvin are still getting minutes when raw rookies with some upside wouldn't hurt you any more than he does and might develop; McKelvin certainly won't. Also, why can't we rush the passer under this guy? Maybin even improved once he escaped from under Edwards' wing.

What qualifications does Edwards have to be a defensive coordinator? Nothing he does seems to work. Last year the excuse was lack of personnel. So Darius et al arrive and still little works. In fact, some of his starters are playing worse than they did last year, such as Florence. And losers like McKelvin are still getting minutes when raw rookies with some upside wouldn't hurt you any more than he does and might develop; McKelvin certainly won't. Also, why can't we rush the passer under this guy? Maybin even improved once he escaped from under Edwards' wing.

I seem to recall something in the Bills media guide/program about how Edwards watched "Remember the Titans" 16 times and that put him over the top in the selection process for DC.

I'm not always the most observant man after a few beers to clear a Sunday morning hangover, but I don't think I've actually seen Dave W. once since he became a Buffalo Bill. Is he up in a press box or something? I'm beginning to think he's a ghost. Am I just blind? Has anyone else seen him on the sidelines?

Edited by Stranger in a Strange Land

You don't want to even see how Poz is doing at Jacksonville to see how guy simprove under other team's coaches.

And we have two strength and conditioning coaches!

Maybe the Bills will be twice as strong and twice as conditioned as they would have been with only one strength and conditioning coach. Which brings up the question . . .

Why not hire five or even ten strength and conditioning coaches?

Because . . .

. . .

Ralph is cheap.

Pretty sure Urban Meyer hired him as DC when he was still at Florida, Edwards took the job for about a month and then left for the Bills job. That's the only notable job he's had and it didn't even last a month, his choosing of course.

I'm not always the most observant man after a few beers to clear a Sunday morning hangover, but I don't think I've actually seen Dave W. once since he became a Buffalo Bill. Is he up in a press box or something? I'm beginning to think he's a ghost. Am I just blind? Has anyone else seen him on the sidelines?

My own vantage point (and I'm guessing the vantage points for 80% of TSW posters) is limited to what's shown on television.

So, considering I trust in the existence of the many things I've never seen on Sunday mid-day network programming, I'm not terribly alarmed.

I posted on this last off season.

Essentially, in common with the majority of Chan's coaching staff, Edwards has strong connections to Chan from previous jobs. It's not news that most head coaches bring in people they trust, and they trust people with whom they have connections.

The problem with Chan is that because of his long stint in college and out of NFL, his connections were "slim pickins". Go to the Bills Team section on the Bills home page and look at the backround of the coaches. Giff Smith as DL coach? Daryl Daye as assistant ILB and ST coach? Bob Sanders, our OLB coach, has a strong NFL pedigree but had his ass fired as Green Bay DC for a product that was too "soft" and "inconsistent". The GB D improved markedly after he left, and we know the story now.

It's not that good NFL coaches can't come out of college backgrounds or fail at different positions for other teams, but the product on the field tells the tale. The Party Line 2 years ago was "no talent" or "wrong personnel". Most of the top draft choices the last 2 years have been D, so now what's the story?

Edited by Hopeful